• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Speaker Cables?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Home depot lamp cord.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just buy 12 gauge from any store. it's all the same. if anyone tells you otherwise, they are marsupialed

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Depends on the length of the run and the lowest impedance of your speakers. I'm all for using the minimum required, simply because it'll be smaller and thus easier to hide. The chart on this page by McIntosh's former head of acoustic research is good: http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm Obviously, it's all wire. The brand name, source, etc., does not matter.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Monster.

Especially if you buy the ones with plug-in ends. Stripping wire and rethreading it time after time gets pretty tedious.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
What's your budget for the wire? Do you need to biwire?

I like Kimber and Cardas the best. Kimber 8TC is a really good budget cable.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Monster. Especially if you buy the ones with plug-in ends. Stripping wire and rethreading it time after time gets pretty tedious.
Everybody sells banana plugs. Monster tends to be rather overpriced. I also hold the firm in special disdain because Noel Lee started the whole mythology about audio wire. (That said, for a while they marketed top-quality subwoofers under the M-Design name, with beautiful cabinets and about the best drive units one can buy off-the-shelf.)
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
What's your budget for the wire? Do you need to biwire?
Nobody "needs to," or should, buywire. (Buywiring is different from biamping, assuming one is also using active crossovers a la Andre's Linkwitz Orions, or line-level passive crossovers. With standard passive crossovers, biamping doesn't make a difference either, and is better spelled buyamping.)
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I like Kimber and Cardas the best. Kimber 8TC is a really good budget cable.
Budget? Are you insane? Only a deaf idiot would pay that much for wire! (And if you think it makes the slightest bit of difference, do a blind test with me with a significant wager attached. Your Maggies or my Tannoys should both be of suitable resolution to prove that wires don't do ****.) Speaker wire shouldn't cost more than a buck a foot, with high quality bananas or spades adding maybe $10-15 to that for a pair of speaker wires, tops. For those too lazy to crimp twirl a screw-driver on the set screw of a banana, Blue Jeans Cable offers custom lengths of high quality wire (at worst, better than what one may find from Monster, Kimber, Cardas, Tara Labs, Audioquest, etc.) at reasonable prices. However, it seems to me that it takes less time and effort to terminate wires than it does to measure, so I just buy speaker wire by the spool and banana plugs from a local source or Parts Express.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
I was thinking about picking up a few meters of this -

http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2008/11/...st-audiophile/

Make sure you get the gold-plated Styrofoam cups, too. Those cables and its discerning owners deserve no less.
tinfoil.gif

--Andre

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will probably go with Blue Jean Cables but.. I didn't actually need cables.
wink.gif

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by B1FF
It isn't even water cooled.

It isn't even Deep Cryogenically Treated to align the copper crystals!

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
..... high quality bananas or spades adding maybe $10-15 to that for a pair of speaker wires, .....[/url]

Serious question: do you even need to terminate it with bananas or spades? If your speaker terminals have the 'hole' under the threads, you can just put the stripped bare wire in. By removing the spade/banana terminal, you just remove another link in the chain from amp to speaker no?

Unless of course you switch speakers or cables on a regular basis.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
wink.gif

I thought this belonged in Dumb Threads but wasn't quite sure.
wink.gif

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wink.gif

Blue Jeans sells the Canare 4S11 which I've been using for a while. In general, if you get 12 gauge cable, you should be pretty set for almost any situation for runs up to 50 feet. 12 AWG is the point where the series resistance of the cable is low enough to be unaffected by most speakers' input impedance, but isn't big enough yet for its own self-inductance to start causing audible loss in the highest octave. Fancy cables like Kimber 8TC use braiding to lower this point further without raising inductance if you need even lower series resistance, but at the cost of higher capacitance, which can destabilize some amps.
Originally Posted by T4phage
Serious question: do you even need to terminate it with bananas or spades?
This is not a normal situation, but I need to plug two pairs of cables into one amplifier output (I need to drive two woofers in parallel), and the hole isn't big enough to accommodate a pair of 11 AWG cable, so I use stacking dual-bananas from Radio Shack. Also, I don't like the messiness of the strands sticking out, oxidizing, and also possibly breaking off, so if I do bare, I like to tin the ends first, but then it's hard to tighten down the screw because solder is pretty hard, and the contact area isn't that big. Kimber makes a cleverly-designed spade called the Postmaster: imagine the tines of two spades in parallel, one on top of each other, but with a squishy material in between. The squishy material pushes the spades apart as you squish them in a binding post, so you can tighten the post just using your fingers, and have a pretty secure connection. It works very well. Here's a picture:
KKPM25a.jpg
--Andre

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y

..... Also, I don't like the messiness of the strands sticking out, oxidizing, and also possibly breaking off, so if I do bare, I like to tin the ends first, but then it's hard to tighten down the screw because solder is pretty hard, and the contact area isn't that big.

Yes I forgot to mention that the ends should be finished in solder.

Originally Posted by A Y
Kimber makes a cleverly-designed spade called the Postmaster: imagine the tines of two spades in parallel, one on top of each other, but with a squishy material in between. The squishy material pushes the spades apart as you squish them in a binding post, so you can tighten the post just using your fingers, and have a pretty secure connection. It works very well.

Here's a picture:

KKPM25a.jpg

--Andre

I've seen something similar from WBT, I think it is their 'Nextgen' spades.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads