or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Best Speaker Cables?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Speaker Cables? - Page 6

post #76 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
Monster.

Especially if you buy the ones with plug-in ends. Stripping wire and rethreading it time after time gets pretty tedious.

Monster is notoriously overpriced.

Any cable Best Buy or a similar store sells will perform just as good as Monster.
post #77 of 278
So if Cardas is Kiton, what does that make Blue Jeans? Canali at a 70% discount?
post #78 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek View Post
what the is teflon dielectric? And here I thought teflon was for cheap non-stick frying pans.

It is used in audio cables and capacitors to great effect.

You don't explain it to GQ.
Teflon in some speaker cables is used as insulation. Eg. in af's beloved Kimber 8TC.
You can buy them for about €4 per meter. You can also buy teflon tubes and make your very own braided cables around a teflon tube and insulated by teflon... for a fraction of the silly prices that af pays (and get at least as good sound quality) ... that way you have money left over for EG shoes.
post #79 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SD View Post
So if Cardas is Kiton, what does that make Blue Jeans? Canali at a 70% discount?

No, that makes Blue Jeans Kiton K50 at 99% discount.
post #80 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth View Post
+1.

Does anybody have any speaker cables to cut open?

That would be fun, especially to see af's mental gymnastics of self protection.
post #81 of 278
I'm just waiting for this thread to be merged with the "These are fake, right" thread.
post #82 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010 View Post
Gladwell?

I don't think it would be a colossal waste of time because I would expect to walk out with a significant sum of your money when reality came crashing down on your poor little pathetic head and you were unable to tell the difference between any two wires of your choice.

You, however, seem to lack any spine or courage of your convictions. Pussy.

You're talking about fucking stereo wire. Calm the fuck down.
post #83 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlast View Post
You're talking about fucking stereo wire. Calm the fuck down.

Young Master Jetfire speaks the truth.

Threads like this restore my faith in humanity.
post #84 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4phage View Post
You don't explain it to GQ.
Teflon in some speaker cables is used as insulation. Eg. in af's beloved Kimber 8TC.
You can buy them for about €4 per meter. You can also buy teflon tubes and make your very own braided cables around a teflon tube and insulated by teflon... for a fraction of the silly prices that af pays (and get at least as good sound quality) ... that way you have money left over for EG shoes.

It's not that simple you need a high pressure, low temperature insulation process and that takes manufacturing and extrusion knowledge and investment. As a result just braiding DIY cable around teflon does not sound nearly as good. I have A/Bed those cables and they don't sound good. Look at the Nordost line, their teflon and monofilament manufacturing process is one that allows those cables to resolve a lot of detail in the music.
post #85 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post
Monster is notoriously overpriced.

Any cable Best Buy or a similar store sells will perform just as good as Monster.

Quite true. Monster is the Armani of cable.
post #86 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig View Post
Just curious, but whose sock puppet is Sprezzatura2069? Is he the truth?

Also, AF, why not set up double-blind tests of some of these things? If your chosen brands really do perform better, it'll show all the sock puppets and naysayers.

post #87 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by whacked View Post



post #88 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan View Post
Quite true. Monster is the Armani of cable.
Which is the Kiton of cables? By that, I mean to ask which is not what it claims to be.
post #89 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth View Post
Which is the Kiton of cables? By that, I mean to ask which is not what it claims to be.

What is the Berluti of cables?
post #90 of 278
I think clothing is a difficult comparison as the tech doesn't really change that much. Maybe cars is better...there are some new manufacturing methods such as the Crystal Cable use of gold and the monofilament tech from Nordost.

Nordost would be Ferrari - high performance but really spendy pricing.
Cardas would be Porsche - long history, great performance, fair price.
Kimber might be BMW - Very good performance and decent price.
Blue Jeans might be some of the sporty models of VW - high value per dollar.
Jorma Prime would be Bentley - insane pricing but terrific performance and luxury build.
Harmonic Technology would be Audi - great performance for the dollar, decent tech.
Argentum Acoustics (part of XLO company) might be Spyker but without the price, new brand but exciting sound.
Kubala-Sosna might be Aston Martin - luxury pricing and performance.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Best Speaker Cables?