or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Best Speaker Cables?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Speaker Cables? - Page 15

post #211 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan View Post
I'm just trying to share some of what I have learned in audio but it doesn't seem to be valued.
because what you have learned is nonsense.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan View Post
I was hoping you might provide some backup here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan View Post
.....I think that's a good illustration of what I am up against here on Slander Forum.

We may think you are stupid, but don't worry,

post #212 of 278
The guy at Radio Shack told me it's not so much the power cord that makes the difference, sonically speaking, but rather the power outlet itself. The outlet plate covers can easily (although not cheaply) be switched with special ones that are coated with a resin polymer ($500 a pop!) and this will make all the difference. You'll want to do all the outlets in the house in case you move your record player or get one of those Bose radios....
post #213 of 278
Just out of curiosity, does anyone make shielded speaker cable, and if not, why not? I'm no EE, but I do a little DSP in my work and a FFT on a single-ended, unshielded signal waveform typically shows a nice, fat 60Hz noise peak, and subsequent peaks at all multiples. Maybe it's not a concern because of the higher potential of the signal? How much PtP signal is there, anyway? ~ Huntsman
post #214 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by romafan View Post
The guy at Radio Shack told me it's not so much the power cord that makes the difference, sonically speaking, but rather the power outlet itself. The outlet plate covers can easily (although not cheaply) be switched with special ones that are coated with a resin polymer ($500 a pop!) and this will make all the difference. You'll want to do all the outlets in the house in case you move your record player or get one of those Bose radios....

Bwahahahahaha! The Radio Shack part really added to the story. Bravo.
post #215 of 278
My father owns a mid-high end car audio company. The cost of the aluminum packaging case of his super premium triple-shielded 17' RCA cables costs more than the cables themselves. It was an old model but I think MSRP was ~$125 per cable. The cable business is one of the biggest rip-offs in the audio industry.
post #216 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4phage View Post
because what you have learned is nonsense.

Another personal attack. How classy of you.
post #217 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan View Post
Another personal attack. How classy of you.

He's Dutch, what do you expect.
post #218 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
Just out of curiosity, does anyone make shielded speaker cable, and if not, why not? I'm no EE, but I do a little DSP in my work and a FFT on a single-ended, unshielded signal waveform typically shows a nice, fat 60Hz noise peak, and subsequent peaks at all multiples. Maybe it's not a concern because of the higher potential of the signal? How much PtP signal is there, anyway?

~ Huntsman

Most quality speaker cable and interconnect is in fact shielded.
post #219 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophilia View Post
The subject of this thread is akin to a neighbor asking if he can come over and screw your wife. Nothing but trouble, unless you're a little kinky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig View Post
How much was your power cord?
I think the more important question is "how much is your wife?"
post #220 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig View Post
He's Dutch.
Only by injection.
post #221 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan View Post
Most quality speaker cable and interconnect is in fact shielded.
How is it grounded?
post #222 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan View Post
Most quality speaker cable and interconnect is in fact shielded.

Wrong. Interconnects are mostly shielded. Most speaker cables are not.

Speaker cables don't need shielding because the signal levels (30V rail-to-rail, and single-digit Amperage) are much higher, and impedances lower. Also, shielded speaker cables don't make sense for the same reason shielded power cables don't make sense: there are huge holes in the shield at either end of the cable. Most speakers are wood, and the binding post interface to an amp is pretty open.

Huntsman, when you saw power line harmonics in your FFT, what were you measuring?

--Andre
post #223 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Y View Post
Wrong. Interconnects are mostly shielded. Most speaker cables are not.

Speaker cables don't need shielding because the signal levels (30V rail-to-rail, and single-digit Amperage) are much higher, and impedances lower. Also, shielded speaker cables don't make sense for the same reason shielded power cables don't make sense: there are huge holes in the shield at either end of the cable. Most speakers are wood, and the binding post interface to an amp is pretty open.

Huntsman, when you saw power line harmonics in your FFT, what were you measuring?

--Andre

Wrong Andre. Many quality cables from JPS Labs to others use shielding in the speaker cable.

Here is an article on why you need that:

http://www.audioholics.com/education...m-interference

Quote:
Shielded speaker cable? Definitely! Belden #8718 is a 12-AWG twisted pair with a foil shield and drain wire for an easy connection to earth ground. Connect the 12-AWG twisted pair to the appropriate amp and loudspeakers terminals. The drain wire should be connected to earth ground at one point only. I have it easy here in my listening room because my power amp chassis is connected to earth ground. Do not connect the drain wire to the speaker. If you don't have a readily available earth ground on your equipment, I suggest running the drain wire to the earth ground of your a.c. line. There are special a.c. socket plugs that have an earth ground connection only.

If you are connecting the drain wire to earth ground, do not connect that drain wire to either wire of the twisted pair. Also, don't leave the drain wire unconnected as it can act as a very good receiving antenna.

Shielding your speaker cables will greatly reduce static electricity that can form on cables when they rest on a carpeted floor, especially on cold, dry days. Shielded a.c. line cords can also help under strong interference conditions.

Belden #17660 a.c. line cord has a foil and braid shield. This is an I.E.C. style power cord, 18 AWG and is typically priced from $12 to $16 per line cord.
post #224 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan View Post
Wrong Andre. Many quality cables from JPS Labs to others use shielding in the speaker cable.

1 is not "most". Most speaker cables are unshielded.


That quote just talks about how you might hook up a shielded cable, and the only reason offered for why you might want shielded speaker cables (to reduce static electricity buildup) is completely bogus considering that cables' outer jackets are insulators.

--Andre
post #225 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Y View Post
1 is not "most". Most speaker cables are unshielded.

Most mainstream cable yes; not so sure on the better high end cable.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Best Speaker Cables?