• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$380,000 dog mansion

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just absolutely ridiculous.

http://gizmodo.com/5099589/380k-dog-...omic-recession

It's nice to know that even as most of us scramble to keep our jobs and pay off our massive credit card debts, there are others out there who can still afford to give the very best to those they love most"”their dogs. A Great Dane owner in the U.K. recently spent roughly $380,000 to outfit her dog house with essential luxuries like a spa and a 52-inch plasma TV.

The dog mansion contains two bedrooms and a day lounge, temperature-controlled beds outlined with sheepskin, automated food and water dispensers that pour their goods into self-cleaning eating and drinking bowls, a 18-inch deep pool, a $230,000 sound system (they can hear sounds we can't, you know) and even a retina scanner... to stop other pets from entering.

Well, at least the dog house is kind of environmentally friendly"”with geothermal heating and solar and wind power generators, it produces more energy than it uses. Yay, Earth?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Just absolutely ridiculous.

http://gizmodo.com/5099589/380k-dog-...omic-recession

Who cares? This person probably didn't take out a sub-prime mortgage to pay for it and does not need any bailout. It created a few jobs, and someone designed something truly unique and new. Remember to consider the relative opulence that you live in when compared to 85% of the world.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Who cares? This person probably didn't take out a sub-prime mortgage to pay for it and does not need any bailout.
+100.

It reeks of poor taste; but doesn't take any money out of my pocket.

Populism, FTL.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd guess I'd rather be in the doghouse
colgate.gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro
+100. It reeks of poor taste; but doesn't take any money out of my pocket. Populism, FTL.
You are such an idiot.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That thing is sweet. I'd live in it.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is bad ass! It's 10x nicer and bigger than what I'm living in now.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Who cares? This person probably didn't take out a sub-prime mortgage to pay for it and does not need any bailout. It created a few jobs, and someone designed something truly unique and new. Remember to consider the relative opulence that you live in when compared to 85% of the world.
I'm surprised to see myself write this, but I actually agree. They are very rich; why is this any more newsworthy than people who buy $1 mil wedding rings? A dog house at least has SOME use; a big overpriced goofy rock on your finger just sits there. Yet, when really rich people buy expensive jewelry, it hardly makes headlines. We are so schizophrenic in our culture when it comes to what is and is not acceptable to do with our money. It's okay to buy a giant boat or jewelry or a car for ridiculous sums, but why not spend it on your dog if that is what you want to do?

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed, allthough its still not my type of spending.. I do remember someone going into a car dealership and ordering a 200k+ car.. Funny thing was that by the time he got through the options list he stunned the salesman by asking him if the center console could be altered in a way so his jack russel could ride with him safely.. Apparently that was the dogs favorite place to be in a car
smile.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can appreciate the affection people have for their pets.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thing that pisses me off is that if they have enough money to literally blow on stupid things, yet they don't put their money to good use. They're selfish. Why not donate that $380,000 to the struggling families where the heads of the households have lost their jobs and they still have three kids and a wife to feed and support?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
The thing that pisses me off is that if they have enough money to literally blow on stupid things, yet they don't put their money to good use. They're selfish. Why not donate that $380,000 to the struggling families where the heads of the households have lost their jobs and they still have three kids and a wife to feed and support?

The rich are different from the masses. they are all about ME not us

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku

You're on a ******* clothing forum and probably own many things you do not need. You're a hypocrite and a moron. Do you not realize that just by living in the western world, owning a computer and earning over $30,000 that you are enormously wealthy by the standards of at least 6 billion people in the world? Do you not realize that what you are now saying about these people could just as easily be said about you, and by a lot of starving people?

Don't come on a high end clothing forum and preach the equal sharing of misery you mediocre ****.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads