or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Archives › Buying and Selling (Archive) › Cool Shoes, Paraphernalia & Desiderata
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cool Shoes, Paraphernalia & Desiderata - Page 516  

post #7726 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkzzzz View Post

Made by whom?
post #7727 of 14986
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaguy View Post
yes. the breakdown is about $350 for the shoe and $1000 for the pull tab.
Here's a tricker's badged cap-toe version - sale price is gbp 150. notice how the leather and the sole is virtually the same, except for the metal toe protecter and the red, white and blue pull tab.
Maybe the metal toe protector is actually solid platinum...
post #7728 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnoldh View Post
Aldens that the seller claims are shell cordovan:



Here's the Ebay listing

The price is still low. It looks like a regular calfskin 660 Alden to me. What say you experts?

You are correct Arnold, they are calf
post #7729 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkzzzz View Post

That color resembles vomit
post #7730 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by distinctive View Post
That color resembles vomit

It really depends on what you've been eating.
post #7731 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnoldh View Post
Aldens that the seller claims are shell cordovan:



Here's the Ebay listing

The price is still low. It looks like a regular calfskin 660 Alden to me. What say you experts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by distinctive View Post
You are correct Arnold, they are calf

distictive,
For us neophytes, how did you know these are calf and the ones that I sent you pictures of, are cordovan?

I thought that Alden said "Shell Cordovan", on their shoes. Is this incorrect? How does one differentiate calf and shell with Aldens?

Thanks in advance
post #7732 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnoldh View Post
distictive,
For us neophytes, how did you know these are calf and the ones that I sent you pictures of, are cordovan?

I thought that Alden said "Shell Cordovan", on their shoes. Is this incorrect? How does one differentiate calf and shell with Aldens?

Thanks in advance

Not Distinctive, but there are 2 ways:

1. The number 660 refers to the black calf model.

2. The leather looks different than shell. There should be thick curves in the leather resembling ocean waves and there should be no fine creasing seen just under the tassel. Shell also tends to look 'thicker' and more substantial. Also, I would expect more glare from the flash used with shell. Compare to these shell loafers:

post #7733 of 14986
The model number is a sure bet. If you are sure of the number printed in the shoe, you can look it up, see whether it is shell or not.
post #7734 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac View Post
The model number is a sure bet. If you are sure of the number printed in the shoe, you can look it up, see whether it is shell or not.

Where do you look it up?
post #7735 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnoldh View Post
Where do you look it up?


Google or AldenShop.
post #7736 of 14986
aldenshop, aldenshoes, or theshoemart should pretty much cover it as far as model numbers.
post #7737 of 14986
What Boogers said. Many Alden models will have the shell cordovan circle on the bottom but like the AE writing-they rub off after a couple wears. I think BB even labels the insole shell cordovan on some of their models.
post #7738 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
It really depends on what you've been eating.

True, maybe that's just what I want to do when looking at those
post #7739 of 14986
Damn, what do you think about this? LeatherSoul Aldens for $705... used.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=008
post #7740 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac View Post
Damn, what do you think about this? LeatherSoul Aldens for $705... used.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=008

I think Tom should start wearing all of his shoes then selling them on ebay. Forget retail.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Buying and Selling (Archive)
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Archives › Buying and Selling (Archive) › Cool Shoes, Paraphernalia & Desiderata