Styleforum › Forums › Archives › Buying and Selling (Archive) › Cool Shoes, Paraphernalia & Desiderata
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cool Shoes, Paraphernalia & Desiderata - Page 447  

post #6691 of 14986
Robin, what did you end up paying for them if you don't mind?
post #6692 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by distinctive View Post
Robin, what did you end up paying for them if you don't mind?
post #6693 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
I stripped them last night. I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out:

Too shiny before:


Warm matte finish after:


The after pic doesn't really do them justice. Once you get the shine off, there's a decent shoe underneath. The acetone left them a nicely consistent burgundy. I toyed with trying bleach, but figured all the broguing would be a nightmare.

That will probably be a very nice looking shoe with a few more polishings. Certainly worth $35.00.
post #6694 of 14986
Wow. so how does this work? After you polish them a few times, they will look almost like full grain?

Also, in the second pic are they still damp from the acetone?

Wow I really want to see how this turns out
post #6695 of 14986
Can't wait to get home and find them in my mail box. Well, those and my Alden #8 shells that are waiting in my front door.
post #6696 of 14986
I've got an extra pair of the Highlanders above if anyone wants them 10.5 EE I think. He sent me two burgundy instead of a black and a burgundy.
post #6697 of 14986
A nice two lace derby on Land's end for $199.00. Perhaps by Sargent?

http://www.landsend.com/pp/2TieGibso...?CM_MERCH=SRCH
post #6698 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by distinctive View Post
I've got an extra pair of the Highlanders above if anyone wants them 10.5 EE I think. He sent me two burgundy instead of a black and a burgundy.

I have a spare 9.5D in the burgundy, too.
post #6699 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin View Post

Out with it, I am having trouble gauging how green I should be.
post #6700 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawman View Post
A nice two lace derby on Land's end for $199.00. Perhaps by Sargent?

http://www.landsend.com/pp/2TieGibso...?CM_MERCH=SRCH

Here's a review of them, with pics and some helpful info from Ron:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=42428
post #6701 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawman View Post
A nice two lace derby on Land's end for $199.00. Perhaps by Sargent?

http://www.landsend.com/pp/2TieGibso...?CM_MERCH=SRCH

If you click on the info tab, it tells you it's made by sargent Those are nice. too bad they don't have my size.
post #6702 of 14986
They have my size (13), but I have two pair of handgrades en route from Northampton, and a wife who is not likely to suffer another purchase gladly.

Those damned size 13 Mantelassi wholecuts that were on SF yesterday are also calling my name.
post #6703 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac View Post
Wow. so how does this work? After you polish them a few times, they will look almost like full grain?

Also, in the second pic are they still damp from the acetone?

Wow I really want to see how this turns out

In the second pic, I've already done a good bit of polishing. After stripping them, I started out using chestnut/fawn cream and polish, thinking I wanted to lighten them up a bit. I went a little crazy and the resulting contrast was a bit much, so I used alcohol to remove some of the excess. Then I polished them using oxblood -- did that like three times. I stopped after that because I was pleased with the effect. They're pebble grain, so I wasn't after a high shine, and they have a nice glow in person.
post #6704 of 14986
How did they get the initial high gloss shine on them? A plastic "clear" coat? The acetone didn't strip them to the leather, but instead left a good base to work from? They look nice how you have them. If I could figure out what in the world I'd do with them, I'd snatch up the 9.5s.
post #6705 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionology View Post
How did they get the initial high gloss shine on them? A plastic "clear" coat? The acetone didn't strip them to the leather, but instead left a good base to work from? They look nice how you have them.

If I could figure out what in the world I'd do with them, I'd snatch up the 9.5s.

The acetone just stripped them down to a burgundy. The more I rubbed, the more it removed the burgundy. But it wasn't hard to keep the finish pretty even, and I was working outside after dark. Be even easier in the day, I imagine. Now that the original finish is gone, the leather is nicely soft.

I haven't been a longwing guy before now, but I'm really happy with these. I'll wear 'em with denim, khakis, even odd trousers and sportcoats when I'm feeling tradly. I may give them a test run tomorrow.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Buying and Selling (Archive)
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Archives › Buying and Selling (Archive) › Cool Shoes, Paraphernalia & Desiderata