or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Archives › Buying and Selling (Archive) › Cool Shoes, Paraphernalia & Desiderata
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cool Shoes, Paraphernalia & Desiderata - Page 39  

post #571 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalogre
P.s. I refuse to give them the "wade in water while wearing them" treatment, last thing I need is to have the nails rust.
Interesting. Ron Rider once described that as part of the fitting process for bespoke cowboy boots and a good way of getting the shoe to mold to one's foot. I have noticed that shoes I've worn in unexpected downpours are much more comfortable on the next wearing. Are rusted nails enough of a concern that this process should be avoided?

dan
post #572 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by dah328
Interesting. Ron Rider once described that as part of the fitting process for bespoke cowboy boots and a good way of getting the shoe to mold to one's foot. I have noticed that shoes I've worn in unexpected downpours are much more comfortable on the next wearing. Are rusted nails enough of a concern that this process should be avoided? dan
I am erring on the side of caution. I also remember Matadorpoeta mentioning problems with rusted nails in his Bruno Magli restoration writeup. From what I know, typically army boots do not have nails in the heel so it is not an issue. But of course I may well be wrong (trust me, it has happenned before ) Anyone have some more info on the safety of the water treatment for boots with nails in them?
post #573 of 14986
Well, I think some boots use wooden pegs rather than nails so it would not be an issue in that case. Still, my shoes generally require resoling so infrequently that I'd rather have them be comfortable with potentially rusty nails than less comfortable. I was seriously considering trying that method on a pair of jodphurs I have that give me nasty blisters on my heel.

dan
post #574 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by dah328
Well, I think some boots use wooden pegs rather than nails so it would not be an issue in that case. Still, my shoes generally require resoling so infrequently that I'd rather have them be comfortable with potentially rusty nails than less comfortable. I was seriously considering trying that method on a pair of jodphurs I have that give me nasty blisters on my heel.

dan

Hmm, I may still do it. I am waiting for the larger than a quarter blister to heal first, then we shall see how the fit is. Of course, my right foot experienced no such problems
post #575 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalogre
I am erring on the side of caution. I also remember Matadorpoeta mentioning problems with rusted nails in his Bruno Magli restoration writeup. From what I know, typically army boots do not have nails in the heel so it is not an issue. But of course I may well be wrong (trust me, it has happenned before )
Anyone have some more info on the safety of the water treatment for boots with nails in them?

IIRC they stopped using metal nails in US army boots before WW2. They conducted heat right out of the shoe in the winter and a higher risk of frostbite.
post #576 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtf
IIRC they stopped using metal nails in US army boots before WW2. They conducted heat right out of the shoe in the winter and a higher risk of frostbite.

I did not think army boots did in general, but these boots do indeed have nails in the heel which complicates things.
post #577 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by dah328
bespoke cowboy boots and a good way of getting the shoe to mold to one's foot.

I have bespoke cowboy boots (water buffalo) and can attest to their supreme comfort in a shoe that usually isn't that pleasant to wear for long periods.
post #578 of 14986
post #579 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtw3036



My size...if only they were more practical.
post #580 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara


My size...if only they were more practical.
Yeah, I'd steer clear of those for the time being, build a nice shoe base first.
post #581 of 14986
http://cgi.ebay.com/1345-All-leather...QQcmdZViewItem

Interesting... not in my top 5 favorites, but interesting nonetheless
post #582 of 14986
post #583 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjpj83

plus they're "georgeous".

koji
post #584 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjpj83

Oohhhh. I'm thinking that they are not actually a US "E" fitting. I could squeeze into them if they were, but I think UK 9E equates to US 10D, not E.
post #585 of 14986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
Oohhhh. I'm thinking that they are not actually a US "E" fitting. I could squeeze into them if they were, but I think UK 9E equates to US 10D, not E.
Correct. The 7000 last is long, and E is a D width.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Buying and Selling (Archive)
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Archives › Buying and Selling (Archive) › Cool Shoes, Paraphernalia & Desiderata