or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 6443

post #96631 of 112224

Back from school for the weekend, so I decided to hit some thrifts. Shout out to the flippers for leaving me jack shit, (looking at you Greg :hide:,) 

 

 

Ascot Chang with Thomas Mason fabric, FC cuffs (It looks like it was never worn, Dated '07 measures about a 16 neck.)

AppleMark

 

Malo Cotton full button polo thingy (52)

 

AppleMark

 

HIckey Freeman Cable knit 75/25 Silk/cotton (tagged medium) 

 

Trafalgar Calf and what i think is gator (can some when tell me if its calf or real?)

???

 

BB, BB, BB.

AppleMark

 

BB, BB, BB.

 

AppleMark

 

Polo, Polo NWT

AppleMark

 

Paul Stuart by Drakes, Lands End real madder.

AppleMark

 

Turnbull&Asser, Sills real madder.

AppleMark

 

Stefano Ricci X2

AppleMark

 

Celine (for me) and Ugly ass medusa 

AppleMark

 

 

Matt? Real?

AppleMark

 

L.L. Bean Sig cargos for myself 

post #96632 of 112224
Today I think I've had the best day op shopping that I can remember.

So what did I find?

Suits

Isaia SOLO 8 s190s, 44L
12690517764_e27f2dd914.jpg
12690025755_075f3e104b.jpg

Isaia, 44L
12690947764_0312d1f544.jpg
12690175413_2ba316eefd.jpg

Brioni 44L
12690512354_0f6f93b231.jpg
12690514754_fb01cb2807.jpg

Holland and Sherry Savile Row dinner suit
Pretty sure this is bespoke, from H&S London. Probably a 44L
12690016715_947a93c360.jpg
12690011075_ef125c1bbb.jpg

Gucci 40R
12690506754_9d0522c30f.jpg
12690155763_936dc1148a.jpg

Sports Coats

Brioni, 44L
12690496574_05c9ef94be.jpg
12690500394_3aa70311dc.jpg

Bijan pure cashmere, 44L
12690146533_7b7932bac9.jpg
12690140143_44c28dcb93.jpg

Pants
Most of these are 38-40

Bijan slacks
12690468915_1bd5a2dbf2.jpg

Bijan pure silk
12690455475_682dc433d6.jpg

Pal Zileri
12690952264_ddee5520b0.jpg

Ties
12689997865_e507e2c87a.jpg
L-R Borrelli, RT BoC, Charles Hil, Charles Hill grenadine

Shirts
Nearly all the shirts are 17.5/44

Stefano Ricci
Blue one at the front is cotton, the rest are pure silk
12690973554_35a061221d.jpg
12690633463_cb64acfe5d.jpg

Brioni business shirts
12690630873_28b1b9197b.jpg
12690627703_31d3eed518.jpg
12689989295_4ff7e9afed.jpg

Brioni silk shirts
12690976184_628b888e6e.jpg
12690485064_258b237cdf.jpg

Lanvin
12690990874_34b6baa2c0.jpg

Canali Exclusive
12690968844_b7ba698a90.jpg

Finamore. Pretty sure these were MTO. Thay have a client's name on the tag
12690500815_15cf52d734.jpg

Bijan formal shirt
12690970904_035d4f00c1.jpg

Bijan
12690637773_600fdee30d.jpg

Zegna
12690499005_98aec73a95.jpg
12690472325_29f0a83ae6.jpg

Asole & Bottoni linen
12690645003_17baed4393.jpg


Fabio Caviglia silk
12690635703_8d3ae53c41.jpg



Most of this stuff is too big for me and is available for sale. Bear in mind I'm in Australia. smile.gif
Edited by California Dreamer - 2/21/14 at 11:48pm
post #96633 of 112224
Jeeebus!

That IS the best haul this year so far, well done!icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #96634 of 112224
Quote:
Originally Posted by richnet12 View Post


Is all Naked and Famous made in the selvedge material?

Selvedge is how the edge of the fabric was sealed, not how it was weaved. For instance, you can have denim that's selvedge, chambray, canvas, and linen, and so on. Denim is technically a weave and so is chambray. NnF make all kinds of articles with selvedged fabric. Denim is one of the most popular and common ones. I've seen some badass chambray selvedge.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmah View Post
 

Good thing I spent 15 minutes digging out my car and scrapping it off.

 

Found this sweet deal at the local GW.

 

:lol:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
 

 

Some are some aren't. Selvedge is denim, albeit usually heavier, the distinction is that it's made with shuttle looms and is self-edged, i.e. lock stitched, as part of the process which is why it has that 'strip' so to speak.

There's also selvedge chinos, canvas, and other fabric.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbkshin View Post
 


Is all selvedge worth a pickup (priced reasonably)? Texas definitely is denim friendly, and I pass on loads of Levi 501XX, Gap 1969, etc that are selvedge but due to how common it is, I tend to skip them. Could I become selvedge king of the internet?

Nope. But I would cop Gap Selvedge but only old school and made in Italy.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMcL View Post


I know so, so little about selvedge, but I do know 3 things:
1. Not all selvedge is created equal. For true afficionados, it's not just the material, it's the cut, construction, etc. But since selvedge is more expensive, it tends to be a proxy for the companies that pay attention to such things. Sort of like finding a suit with LP super 130s wool: It's one indicator among many that the suit could be well made.
2. Selvedge can't be faked, so long as you know what true selvedge is. So it's literally the only denim I buy these days.
3. I've never lost money selling selvedge.

1. +1

2. Ummm, have you seen faked ones? I have. They are so badly faked, it's sad. Drop us a few pics on here to confirm before coping if you aren't so sure.

3. +1

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMcL View Post


Damn, really? I just assumed the material itself was sufficiently expensive to make counterfeiting unprofitable. I may need to rethink my approach.

Edit: This has more to do with me not wanting to traffic in fake stuff than in making oodles of money, btw. Just trying to say that I've been assuming that all selvedge was the genuine article, and now Fueco has me doubting myself.

As to the statement that interest in x or y is declining, and at the risk of prolonging what could arguably be called a flip talk derail, I remember one time when this thread lamented the fact that ebay prices were declining on things like Kiton and Isaia. My thought then is the same as it was now: This is bad because why? To be sure, I don't care much for Robert Graham. But the fact that prices are coming down on things we get excited about buying is a GOOD thing. A future of $100 Kiton is hardly dystopic.

Fake selvedge is really easy to tell. If you aren't sure, wear selvedge to thrift and just compare the real one to the fake one. You'll know, like right off the back!

 

Edit: If you want to see fake selvedge, go to any Levi's store, not LVC, and look at their shirts closely. I can guarantee you will spot some fake selvedge!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgetorix View Post

Guys, I'm freaking out. This is a dream come true for me. Well, potentially.

White Man Can't Jump status!!!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by troika View Post
 

 

Notice: I will take all of your Gap selvedge in 38x30+ in slim/skinny.

 

They are super underrated, especially the older versions.

+1

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgreg View Post
 

Thanks for the help, trying to figure out if it's vintage, or faux vintage.  If faux it will get returned to Goodwill. Pretty sweet jacket, fits more like a L in the body though, unless that's normal for SWD gear.
 

Vintage or Faux vintage Levi jacket?! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Exciting find: AE Rawlings in 9D.  Available.  Had them shined by the little italian shoe shop in town for $5!  Wish they fit me, I love the style.  What's the formal name for this style, split toe single monk? 

AE Rawlings (Click to show)

 

 

AE Rawlings (Click to show)

 

 

Oh yeah, vintage. You never see made in USA Levis' anymore cuz in 2009, the last Levi's plant got shut down in Texas. That Levi's tag screams vintage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMcRibb View Post
 

A few things from the past week. 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

BB 3/2 tweed

 

No name Harris Tweed

 

DAKS polo coat

 

buttery soft Mister Guy bomber

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

L to R: Pendleton, BB, Burberry, EZ, RT BOC

 

 

Tallia linen SC w/ ticket pocket

 

BB cashmere

 

 

Kroon velvet patch pocket

 

vtg Austin Reed 3 pc

 

@Nataku, is this the tiger stripe I'm looking for?

 

Stack o' cashmere. Mostly Daniel Cremeiux, but no cashmere left behind, correct?

 

IceBreaker

 

best for last

 

:drool: 


Edited by barrelntrigger - 2/21/14 at 11:55pm
post #96635 of 112224

Oh yeah, selvedge fun fact time! Did you know, selvedge fabric doesn't always come with the traditional "Red ticker?" You can have selvedge without any colored ID and with multi colors!!! *GASP!!! Good times!!!

 

 

post #96636 of 112224
Be better than the GAP.
*slap*
post #96637 of 112224
^^The first one has to be Paul smith:D
and thrinergy! Spotted this bad boy last night:

Saw one that had the same label as the other one also.
Looked legit vintage to me.
post #96638 of 112224
Quote:
Originally Posted by size 38R View Post

^^The first one has to be Paul smith:D
and thrinergy! Spotted this bad boy last night: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Saw one that had the same label as the other one also.
Looked legit vintage to me.

:fonz:

 

The wife has been stepping up her cooking game = happy me!

 

 

Tilaipa

 

 

Beer battered tilapia

 

 

Oven baked dogs

 

 

Pork chop

 

 

Home made chicken nuggets! WHAT?!

post #96639 of 112224
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Dreamer View Post

Today I think I've had the best day op shopping that I can remember.

Someone died.

Legendary haul man.
post #96640 of 112224
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Dreamer View Post

Today I think I've had the best day op shopping that I can remember.

So what did I find?

[ Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
B]Suits[/B]

Isaia SOLO 8 s190s, 44L
12690517764_e27f2dd914.jpg
12690025755_075f3e104b.jpg

Isaia, 44L
12690947764_0312d1f544.jpg
12690175413_2ba316eefd.jpg

Brioni 44L
12690512354_0f6f93b231.jpg
12690514754_fb01cb2807.jpg

Holland and Sherry Savile Row dinner suit
Pretty sure this is bespoke, from H&S London. Probably a 44L
12690016715_947a93c360.jpg
12690011075_ef125c1bbb.jpg

Gucci 40R
12690506754_9d0522c30f.jpg
12690155763_936dc1148a.jpg

Sports Coats

Brioni, 44L
12690496574_05c9ef94be.jpg
12690500394_3aa70311dc.jpg

Bijan pure cashmere, 44L
12690146533_7b7932bac9.jpg
12690140143_44c28dcb93.jpg

Pants
Most of these are 38-40

Bijan slacks
12690468915_1bd5a2dbf2.jpg

Bijan pure silk
12690455475_682dc433d6.jpg

Pal Zileri
12690952264_ddee5520b0.jpg

Ties
12689997865_e507e2c87a.jpg
L-R Borrelli, RT BoC, Charles Hil, Charles Hill grenadine

Shirts
Nearly all the shirts are 17.5/44

Stefano Ricci
Blue one at the front is cotton, the rest are pure silk
12690973554_35a061221d.jpg
12690633463_cb64acfe5d.jpg

Brioni business shirts
12690630873_28b1b9197b.jpg
12690627703_31d3eed518.jpg
12689989295_4ff7e9afed.jpg

Brioni silk shirts
12690976184_628b888e6e.jpg
12690485064_258b237cdf.jpg

Lanvin
12690990874_34b6baa2c0.jpg

Canali Exclusive
12690968844_b7ba698a90.jpg

Finamore. Pretty sure these were MTO. Thay have a client's name on the tag
12690500815_15cf52d734.jpg

Bijan formal shirt
12690970904_035d4f00c1.jpg

Bijan
12690637773_600fdee30d.jpg

Zegna
12690499005_98aec73a95.jpg
12690472325_29f0a83ae6.jpg

Asole & Bottoni linen
12690645003_17baed4393.jpg


Fabio Caviglia silk
12690635703_8d3ae53c41.jpg



Most of this stuff is too big for me and is available for sale. Bear in mind I'm in Australia. smile.gif

Well done! Easily one of the best hauls in the thread.

Wes - congrats on those buttons.
post #96641 of 112224
@barrelntrigger - thanks for your expertise on the jacket!
post #96642 of 112224
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker4186 View Post

Someone died.

Legendary haul man.

You are correct - and I know who. He is somebody very, very famous here, although not to USians.
Edited by California Dreamer - 2/22/14 at 2:31pm
post #96643 of 112224
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM-H View Post

Back from school for the weekend, so I decided to hit some thrifts. Shout out to the flippers for leaving me jack shit, (looking at you Greg peepwall%5B1%5D.gif,) 
Always happy to help.

I think it was the lack of synergy, though; we'd have done better if I could have come out. SORRY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Dreamer View Post

You are correct - and I know who. He is somebody very, very famous here, although not to USians.

Suffice it to say that he was a billionaire.
Congrats. Right place at the right time. That's an amazing one-time haul.
post #96644 of 112224

Here's a couple for those who enjoy thrifting:

 

Now I know that we are all excited by the things we find in thrift stores; I certainly fall into that category! Recently I found two things in "found" things:

 

In shopping one of my favorite thrift shops here in L.A., I got my hands on a beautiful Facconable sport coat. Plaid, hand made by Cantarelli, 10% cashmere, floating canvas, wonderful hand to the garment, etc. Took it to the tailor, as the sleeves needed a bit of an adjustment. Last night I wore it, to much ooh and aah-ing, and, as I was running my hand over the coat, my hand fell over something in the breast pocket. Reaching in, I took out the original price tag! $875.00 in 1998! There it was, extant, as if it were put there yesterday. I love knowing the original price, (I paid $16!), but also found it interesting that it made it from the closet, through the thrift store, and the tailor, and still was there! A great buy, and a little history. 

 

But here's the REAL kicker: From a seller on ebay I purchased a Johns & Pegg of Savile Row absolutely wonderful, pristine, gorgeous navy chalk-stripe DB suit. The thing is truly truly truly a work of art. The interior pocket of the coat tells us it was made in 1980; the seller lives in NYC, I, as heretofore mentioned, in SoCal; the seller indicated he had bought it at a thrift store, but it turned out to be unalterably small in the pants, hence his listing it. So, I bought it for $40.00, plus shipping, and had it mailed. The coat fit as if it were made for me; not the 80's big shoulders, but, rather, a traditional and tasteful S.R. cut. LOVELY! The pants, however, needed a bit of alteration, so I took them in to my tailor, who did the requisite ooh and aah, then adjusted. Afterwards I took them to the cleaners, and hung the suit up, waiting for the right event to break it out. Well, the day came, my bride and I were attending a party where it was time to knock some eyes from their sockets. So I donned the pants. However, I felt a small lump in the little change pocket on the right side of the pants. What can it be? I hadn't worn them yet, save for the moment of trying them on for the tailor. Digging down in the relatively deep pocket, I came up up with a small vial. What is this? In my dotage, I need reading glasses, went over and got them, and came into the light to discover: A SMALL VIAL OF COCAINE I nearly jumped out of my skin! Running into my wife's dressing room, we looked over the vial, opened it, determine it was indeed Coke, and, so amazed, I even showed it to my sons! Now WHAT speaks to the 80's more than THAT?! EH?! And again, heres a Savile Row suit, given to a thrift shop, made it through the seller's home, (I have no doubt the seller had no knowledge/involvement whatsoever; the vial is quite worn), across the country, to the tailor, then the cleaner's, to finally land on my body, where the vial was then found! Needless to say, it was THE story of the dinner party, and has been told over and over since, by others as well as by me! In fact, some folks have told me the story third-hand now, so it's really making the rounds! 

 

Just goes to show, thrifting not only has it's thrills, (This week alone, I found two Canali sport coats, one Canali suit; a Sartoria St. Andrews SC, which is amazing, two Brioni ties, and an Armani Black Label linen jacket) it also has amazing by-products, and sometimes, a little history! SO much FUN!!!!!

post #96645 of 112224
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstarz View Post
 

Here's a couple for those who enjoy thrifting:

 

Now I know that we are all excited by the things we find in thrift stores; I certainly fall into that category! Recently I found two things in "found" things:

 

In shopping one of my favorite thrift shops here in L.A., I got my hands on a beautiful Facconable sport coat. Plaid, hand made by Cantarelli, 10% cashmere, floating canvas, wonderful hand to the garment, etc. Took it to the tailor, as the sleeves needed a bit of an adjustment. Last night I wore it, to much ooh and aah-ing, and, as I was running my hand over the coat, my hand fell over something in the breast pocket. Reaching in, I took out the original price tag! $875.00 in 1998! There it was, extant, as if it were put there yesterday. I love knowing the original price, (I paid $16!), but also found it interesting that it made it from the closet, through the thrift store, and the tailor, and still was there! A great buy, and a little history. 

 

But here's the REAL kicker: From a seller on ebay I purchased a Johns & Pegg of Savile Row absolutely wonderful, pristine, gorgeous navy chalk-stripe DB suit. The thing is truly truly truly a work of art. The interior pocket of the coat tells us it was made in 1980; the seller lives in NYC, I, as heretofore mentioned, in SoCal; the seller indicated he had bought it at a thrift store, but it turned out to be unalterably small in the pants, hence his listing it. So, I bought it for $40.00, plus shipping, and had it mailed. The coat fit as if it were made for me; not the 80's big shoulders, but, rather, a traditional and tasteful S.R. cut. LOVELY! The pants, however, needed a bit of alteration, so I took them in to my tailor, who did the requisite ooh and aah, then adjusted. Afterwards I took them to the cleaners, and hung the suit up, waiting for the right event to break it out. Well, the day came, my bride and I were attending a party where it was time to knock some eyes from their sockets. So I donned the pants. However, I felt a small lump in the little change pocket on the right side of the pants. What can it be? I hadn't worn them yet, save for the moment of trying them on for the tailor. Digging down in the relatively deep pocket, I came up up with a small vial. What is this? In my dotage, I need reading glasses, went over and got them, and came into the light to discover: A SMALL VIAL OF COCAINE I nearly jumped out of my skin! Running into my wife's dressing room, we looked over the vial, opened it, determine it was indeed Coke, and, so amazed, I even showed it to my sons! Now WHAT speaks to the 80's more than THAT?! EH?! And again, heres a Savile Row suit, given to a thrift shop, made it through the seller's home, (I have no doubt the seller had no knowledge/involvement whatsoever; the vial is quite worn), across the country, to the tailor, then the cleaner's, to finally land on my body, where the vial was then found! Needless to say, it was THE story of the dinner party, and has been told over and over since, by others as well as by me! In fact, some folks have told me the story third-hand now, so it's really making the rounds! 

 

Just goes to show, thrifting not only has it's thrills, (This week alone, I found two Canali sport coats, one Canali suit; a Sartoria St. Andrews SC, which is amazing, two Brioni ties, and an Armani Black Label linen jacket) it also has amazing by-products, and sometimes, a little history! SO much FUN!!!!!

 

 

So....that coke...available?

 

JK, NSA.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread