or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 6176

post #92626 of 114532
Quote:
Originally Posted by size 38R View Post
 


$50 for a good s/c????     that's an outrage!!!!!!!!    somebody must stop them!    :lol:

 

i would pay $50 for a perfect, quality s/c anytime.  it beats retail.....   honestly, some flippers expect too much for too little.   i guess it's dependent on your reasons for thrifting.

As someone who buys and sells a lot of vintage clothing, I agree about "some flippers". For me, $50 is about the high outside price range that I will get for a jacket, and even then only for very high end stuff. $35-$45 is average. I wouldn't hesitate to pay hat for an item for myself, though if I were planning to resell something thats too expensive.

 

Some thrift stores have no idea what they have and sell cheap, others look for the good stuff and price accordingly. In the end, it's all a very good deal for the buyer, given the buyer knows his stuff. It's the difference between what I call a "thrift store" and what I call a "vintage shop".

 

Remember that at the root of all this is reuse and recycling, never bad things.

post #92627 of 114532
You're an argumentative little prick sometimes, arent you?
I made no mention of flipping, but you infered it so that you can make a point.
It is actaully a case of arbitrage. I was visting Seattle and in comparison to the prices in my region, which are often 1/5 those prices, if not even cheaper, it represented a less than desirable comparison. That isnt to say that I didnt buy those things that I really liked, because I did...a canali jacket, incotex pants, and some barba shirts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by size 38R View Post


$50 for a good s/c????     that's an outrage!!!!!!!!    somebody must stop them!    lol8%5B1%5D.gif

i would pay $50 for a perfect, quality s/c anytime.  it beats retail.....   honestly, some flippers expect too much for too little.   i guess it's dependent on your reasons for thrifting.
post #92628 of 114532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Timore View Post

As someone who buys and sells a lot of vintage clothing, I agree about "some flippers". For me, $50 is about the high outside price range that I will get for a jacket, and even then only for very high end stuff. $35-$45 is average. I wouldn't hesitate to pay hat for an item for myself, though if I were planning to resell something thats too expensive.

Some thrift stores have no idea what they have and sell cheap, others look for the good stuff and price accordingly. In the end, it's all a very good deal for the buyer, given the buyer knows his stuff. It's the difference between what I call a "thrift store" and what I call a "vintage shop".

Remember that at the root of all this is reuse and recycling, never bad things.

I need to come buy some shit from you haha.
post #92629 of 114532

Would you gents say this is in good taste? was $1.50, but does it look like some department store shiz?
Its BB Makers, Italian fabric, USA made

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2

post #92630 of 114532

My online shop is open 24/7. If you find yourself in the Boston area, I'm open only from 10-2 on Saturdays, or by appointment Tues,-Fri. 

post #92631 of 114532

Not my style, but it certainly is $1.50 well spent. One good thing about thrift shopping is that even if you only wear a thing once or twice before changing your mind and re-donating it, you still got your moneys worth.

post #92632 of 114532
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post


I need to come buy some shit from you haha.

My online shop is open 24/7. If you find yourself in the Boston area, I'm open only from 10-2 on Saturdays, or by appointment Tues,-Fri. 

 

(sorry for the double reply, meant to hit "quote")

post #92633 of 114532
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnathor View Post
 

Would you gents say this is in good taste? was $1.50, but does it look like some department store shiz?
Its BB Makers, Italian fabric, USA made

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2

Not my style, but it certainly is $1.50 well spent. One good thing about thrift shopping is that even if you only wear a thing once or twice before changing your mind and re-donating it, you still got your moneys worth.

 

​(sorry for the double reply. Meant to hit "quote")

post #92634 of 114532
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

Three stores, 4 hours, 125 photos.
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
AppleMark


 

 

What in the...  Googled "Leather of the Sea" and it's eel??

post #92635 of 114532
Is that blue-ish?

I think I'd wear it.
post #92636 of 114532
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeSacre View Post

Well, this happened Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

20 Turnbull & Asser ties in total, with a few other randos (not pictured).  Left about 10 due to condition.





Some other finds:





Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)




DSW is kinda like the TJMaxx of shoes, right?  Bought these for myself at deep discount:



Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Gaziano & Girling for RLPL















Holy mother of GOD!

Spoo: Don't you just love Viyella? I think they're great. They never seem to command what they're really worth. Their colorways are always spectacular.

Edit: you guys have me seriously jonesing. With weather, cash flow, etc., I resolved not to go out until I built up my war chest again. But these hauls...
post #92637 of 114532
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCoNE View Post

What in the...  Googled "Leather of the Sea" and it's eel??

Exactly!
post #92638 of 114532
OK, Snow Day challenge - write a word, phrase or emoticon to completely sum up each TT poster. Ill start.

Nataku - wow.gif
ridethecliche - haha
Size38R - nest.gif
1oftheCoolKids - Yay!
GmmCL - "not available"
Brianpore - "I dont usually pick up..."
Wes - (emoticon needed for reverse beaver pic)
post #92639 of 114532
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

OK, Snow Day challenge - write a word, phrase or emoticon to completely sum up each TT poster. Ill start.

GmmCL - "not available"

HEY!

Spoo: TomFordrari
post #92640 of 114532
Thanks for the love, homies! I was pretty much at full mast all day, shit was flying off the racks. I'll try and get to the PM's at work today.

There was one pretty faded black Wings + Horns cardigan left and no Norse projects. Definitely would have picked that up though.

There are definitely some places that go dumb on prices. A lot of the "fashion focus" sections had over the top pricing, as well as most VV's when they actually knew what they had which thankfully wasn't very much. But there was a very, very washed/used black skeet for $100 at a VV. wanted to tell them that they can get them by the truckload NWT at that price.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread