Dude, you said the were NWT!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0, Paul Harnden, Taichi Murakami,... Last post on 7/24/16 at 6:29pm in Streetwear and Denim
- The Editorial thread Last post on 4/25/16 at 7:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread) Last post on Today at 5:28 am in Streetwear and Denim
- The official list of online stores Last post on 6/1/16 at 8:43am in Streetwear and Denim
- Summer sales 2016 - All the stuff that's fit to buy - codes, updates, etc... Last post on 7/1/16 at 12:12am in Streetwear and Denim
The Styleforum Holiday sales guide - 2015
Last edited: 12/26/15
- Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales ListLast edited: 12/1/15
- How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200Last edited: 11/24/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 5931post #88951 of 13872812/20/13 at 8:36pmpost #88952 of 13872812/20/13 at 8:38pmpost #88953 of 13872812/20/13 at 8:39pmpost #88954 of 13872812/20/13 at 8:42pmpost #88955 of 13872812/20/13 at 8:42pmQuote:
This is definitely something I'll never find around here... Sealskin Boots!
#canada4lyfepost #88956 of 13872812/20/13 at 8:47pmpost #88957 of 13872812/20/13 at 9:00pmpost #88958 of 13872812/20/13 at 9:00pmpost #88959 of 13872812/20/13 at 9:10pmpost #88960 of 13872812/20/13 at 9:13pmpost #88961 of 13872812/20/13 at 9:14pmpost #88962 of 13872812/20/13 at 9:18pmpost #88963 of 13872812/20/13 at 9:25pmQuote:Originally Posted by Fueco
I don't mean to come off as crass or as an a55h0le, but what bothers me most about Andro is the insinuation that it's wrong to ask for money for stuff in lieu of trades her. ....
So, for those of us who live in the Bay Area or LA Basin or NYC area, what's philosophically wrong with asking for $5 + cost +shipping on stuff we post here? Isn't it still in the "spirit of this thread" to offer someone something for $20 or $40 that might cost $200 or $300 if purchased at discounted retail? I'm all for trading where it works out, but there is absolutely nothing wrong in my book with cash.
I don't think anyone would have an issue with that scenario. But it's rarely that clear.
I should probably let Andro speak for himself, but I think Andro 's purpose in offering these items free, and offering something he received as a gift is to call attention to the selflessness of some traders and encourage more of that spirit. Generosity is a universally good thing, I think.
I for one got a Tom Ford tie -- TOM FORD -- as a free gift -- as in, he didn't ask for anything for it, never told me it was coming, and just threw it in without being asked purely on faith that I'd get him back some day -- from the same guy I suspect gave Andro that Oxxford. For me, this makes me more willing to do nice things for others on this thread, and I don't see anything wrong with encouraging a generous spirit.
But part of the problem with this debate is the variability of costs and price budgetary expectations. So I might offer a $5 + cost + ship, and it won't feel like a "hookup" to someone in other parts of the country.
As usual, empathy is the first step to the answer. Buyers should remember that sellers have invested time, effort and cash outlay. What they can or choose to offer is their own decision. You can always express your disapproval by declining to do business.
On the other side of the equation, sellers need to remember that buyers have, for their own reasons, price tolerances. Just because someone is unwilling or unable to justify the number you have in mind doesn't make them a bad person. It just means they can't justify the expense, whether the price is objectively a good one or not.
As if things aren't complicated enough, it seems like nobody uses the same system for judging what the "right" price is, and where to go to look for comparables -- are we judging based on NMLC or TJX prices? Ebay sold? Other sellers here on StyFo? All of the above?
And trading can be just as tricky, if one side or the other thinks it contributed more to the transaction.
But getting back to first principles: Generosity is good. Let's all try to give each other the benefit of the doubt, and aim to see things from the other person's perspective.
And chill the freak out; it's effing Christmas.post #88964 of 13872812/20/13 at 9:33pmJust to throw in thoughts
I have offered at cost + ship but remember like fueco said we pay NYC / la price
That shirt? 10-20
Sweater probably 20
So some people balk at that cause they pick up shirts for 3 dollars but that's impossible for certain areas
But andro is doing a super cool thing for the community so merry Christians happy holidays and everyone be cool dudes!!!post #88965 of 13872812/20/13 at 10:14pm
Posted some of my finds the other day, but I figured I'd update my finds since I went again yesterday.
Everything is available, and I would love to get rid of it to some fellow members and begin trading to build a wardrobe.
EZ Shirt - XXL
Peter Millar - XL
Thomas Pink - 17
Gant Salty Dog - L
Ike Behar - L
Orvis - L
Trafalgar Belt - 34"
AE - Size is rubbed off, but about 8.5D's - Not sure which model, need a little TLC but overall good condition.
Minty Bass penny loafers - 9.5D
1x Ferragamo loafers, size 9.5D
1x Allen Edmond "Maxfield" tassel loafer, size 13B
1x Allen Edmond "Lombard" wingtips, size 9
1x Pierre Balmain crewneck, merino wool sweater, size 56? Real or no? Most likely keeping either way
This thread is locked
- The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
- Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › Wolf vs Goat Appreciation Thread 8 seconds ago
- › Straw Hats Cheap | Snapback Trucker Hats | Cheap Straw Hats - ONE... 22 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 1 minute ago
- › Straw Baseball Caps | Cheap Straw Hats | Snapback Trucker Hats -... 1 minute ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 3 minutes ago
- › Christian Kimber Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Straw Ball Cap | Cheap Straw Hats | Straw Trucker Hats - ONE DOZEN 3 minutes ago
- › Sciamat Navy sportscoat 42 US 52 EU New with tags DROPPED Price €... 4 minutes ago
- › Cheap Straw Hat | Straw Trucker Hats | Straw Baseball Caps - ONE DOZEN 4 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 7 minutes ago
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding