or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 5678

post #85156 of 102689

So, you're saying that you have absolutely no clue whether or not they could be paid more money while still maintaining their federal benefits, but you're just going to blanket assume that they can't.  Got it.  

 

Because as a corollary, I'm very comfortable assuming that they could probably make a teensy bit more than $422 per year working 40 hours a week, full time, for $.22 per hour, and still maintain medicare benefits. 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianG View Post
 

The most relevant point in what I'm saying though relates to being able to keep their benefits. The blind couple is undoubtedly receiving many federal and state benefits that pay for shelter/food/medical and life costs. If they make over a certain amount of $ per year they lose those benefits. I think the federal level to qualify for medicaid is something like needing to make under $11k per year, and that's for people without any disabilities. Undoubtedly many of these employees also participate in various other benefit programs that address their disabilities, and these programs also have certain (much lower income) requirements.

 

And while the $.22/hour thing is a tough number to look at, I'd be interested in knowing what disabilities that individual had in order to fall into that category. The blind gentleman in the video mentioned he was making ~$3.75/hour, which again, would not disqualify him from the benefit programs he is involved in.

 

There isn't some nefarious conspiracy going on with Goodwill. This is a federally recognized charity organization that is providing a service to an underserved population. While it would be great if everyone could get paid a high wage, while also receiving unlimited free medical/life care, that's just not how our system is set up.

post #85157 of 102689
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianG View Post
 

I did. The biggest point was a strawman argument about regional CEO's salaries. The whole "CEO salary" thing people get up in arms about (not just with Goodwill) is a silly argument, because the idea of hiring a C-level exec to run a company predicates on being able to actually bring in someone with that very specialized skillset. Despite the fact that the Goodwill Organization is a charity, the stores need to be run as a business, and no executive will agree to work for below the market rate.

 

This argument is also very separate from the idea of the specialized program these disabled workers are in. While it would be great for everyone to be paid a minimum wage, these employees are often functioning at an incredibly lower level of ability, due to many medical/physical/mental issues. They would be otherwise unemployable if it weren't for these programs. If these organizations were required to pay at the state minimum wage, they wouldn't be able to hire these types of people at all.

 

In addition, the video didn't address the fact that these disabled individuals are also receiving federal and state benefits due to their disability. Like I said before, if they were able to work normally, and received a minimum wage salary, it would disqualify them from many of these benefits that pay for their housing, food, and medical costs.


I usually stay out of these conversations especially on the interwebz but I do have to say this, who are paying for their disability? Tax payers, people like you and I. Would you rather have the disabled be reliant on tax dollars or actually get paid a fair, livable wage from a multi-billion grossing company? The bottom line is this simple, why the hell do tax payers have to be burdened when, again, a multi-billion profit grossing company won't pay for a fair wage for their employees?! Call me crazy but I try to not to be so short sighted in my response.

post #85158 of 102689
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post
 

Some of the shoes I found this weekend. I'm sure there are at least 3 more pairs, but I seem to have misplaced them for the moment.

 

Church's for Brooks Brothers Loafers

 

Love those!

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lirum View Post
 

Ah shit. I take pics of labels that I don't recognize to research for later, and just looked up Ben Silver. Damnit; I had 10+ ties in front of me but passed.

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwarebandit View Post

Ethrift



99% sure this is NWOT
 

wtf.  How did the entire interwebs miss that one?  I am in love with market inefficiency.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLjon View Post
 

Houston thrift score: 0 for 4.

 

Oh, well.

Bummer man, thought for sure you'd be posting something from Houston.

 

For me today, one quick run:

Very recent BB Madison nailhead suit made in Italy, fantastic fabric! Reunited and it feels so good!

post #85159 of 102689
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelntrigger View Post
 


I usually stay out of these conversations especially on the interwebz but I do have to say this, who are paying for their disability? Tax payers, people like you and I. Would you rather have the disabled be reliant on tax dollars or actually get paid a fair, livable wage from a multi-billion grossing company? The bottom line is this simple, why the hell do tax payers have to be burdened when, again, a multi-billion profit grossing company won't pay for a fair wage for their employees?! Call me crazy but I try to not to be so short sighted in my response.

I mostly agree with your sentiment, but this is a bigger question to approach than just the Goodwill issue; the whole "universal health-care" issue and who foots the bill.

 

The fact of the matter is, we have a health-care system in place that provides benefits to a disabled population. This system has been in place for decades, and will continue to be after Obamacare, whatever replaces Obamacare, and then whatever replaces that replacement.

 

We (taxpayers) are already paying the bills for Medicare/Medicaid/Other disability programs and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. Part of this system includes income restrictions for recipients of these benefits.

 

If we were to pay these disabled workers a "fair" wage, it would mean that they would have to cover their own medical bills, which no "fair" wage has the ability to do.

 

I'm not trying to make an argument for or against universal health-care, nor the current system we have in place. I'm just trying to clarify the fact that Goodwill isn't abusing or "taking advantage" of these workers.

 

I'd love it if everyone had free health-care, was paid a ton of money, and had no other problems. But that's just not the reality. I really wish it was though! 

post #85160 of 102689
Lemme ask you guys: are Trafalgar braces a kop at sub $5 prices? I mean, I know the limited edition ones are, but what about the more garden variety ones in staple colors? Prices on the 'bay are all over the place. I seem to run across them fairly often.
post #85161 of 102689

A quick stop to my local GW :uhoh::embar:yielded the following. We've befriended a super nice employee there. :satisfied:

 

Tori Richard shirts. I'm looking at your, Fueco! O-O

 


 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

Cashmere jacket almost my size with some kind of metal buttons. It's gonna go to a homie. If it doesn't fit him, I'll make it available here. Why do they use a bunny for cashmere? Shouldn't it be a cashmere goat? :puzzled:

 

Saw these buttons from a mile away and said to myself, "This has to be dunhill!" Sure enough.

 


 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

Old, but side vents, with working cuffs, and a sweet ticket pocket! Size 44. Big guys, get at me!

post #85162 of 102689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Face View Post

Lemme ask you guys: are Trafalgar braces a kop at sub $5 prices? I mean, I know the limited edition ones are, but what about the more garden variety ones in staple colors? Prices on the 'bay are all over the place. I seem to run across them fairly often.

I'd pop on that.

post #85163 of 102689
Thanks for the birthday wishes guys. I had a great day yesterday!


Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwarebandit View Post


Is this the current EZ label? I'm bad at keeping track of those labels



It is indeed! Nice! Also, that is the Givenchy you're looking for. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMcL View Post



Brioni tweed. Dual vent, flat front. Could stop bullets. Tagged 40R. Tentatively dibsed.
photo IMG_7540_zpsb83c4b46.jpg
photo IMG_7541_zpsb1fdc9b5.jpg

Whoa, thats a suit?! drool.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Face View Post

Lemme ask you guys: are Trafalgar braces a kop at sub $5 prices? I mean, I know the limited edition ones are, but what about the more garden variety ones in staple colors? Prices on the 'bay are all over the place. I seem to run across them fairly often.

If they're silk I'd grab them. I usually get $20-$30 for the silk non-limited-edition ones.
post #85164 of 102689
Happy birthday Nataku!

Also that brioni drool.gif stop finding amazing stuff in my size when I'm broke!
post #85165 of 102689
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

Do you have any idea how much 22 cents an hour is for a 40 hour week? Or how much a prescription costs for treatment of, let's say, epilipsy, and how much the patient has to pay out of pocket even with government aid?

My son brings home about $110 every 2 weeks in a sheltered workshop. He worked up to that. Transport is $80 per 2 weeks.

I pay $410 a month for him to work there.

Truth be told, I'd pay double because he loves going to work and being with the people there.

In any large organization you will find problems. Probably even more so with a franchise system like GW where each is run FOR profit. With essentially $0 COGS, staff and buildings are the only real expense.

Whoever made the point about benefits is accurate. If you have assets if $1800 or more, you can lose your Medicaid, which means you also lose your SSI.

As to the income, SS sends a survey very 6 months requiring rent, income, etc to determine the level of support.

All in all, GW is a positive for disabled people.
As with anything, money is the answer, what was the question?

GW is a fundraiser, used clothing is their path to funding. If they thought they could make more money for their causes by selling mint toothpicks, you would see stores sold while they optimized for selling toothpicks.

There are some differences between charities ( some are idealogically driven..knights of Columbus, Sierra club, etc), but money is still the answer for them too....


My$.02.
post #85166 of 102689
Goodwill in the Twin Cities averages 1.8M-3+Million per store per year and there are dozens.

I'd like a better accounting of all the good they do, other than pay people $8 to work at their
stores.

Let's see, free merchandise, Millions of dollars and low paid employees???

I guess I'm kinda tired of $29 and $49 clothing items here in Minnesota!!!


from website....(note government support of $696M)

Revenue Sources
Retail sales: $3.53 billion
Industrial and service contract work: $636 million
Government grants: $87 million
Corporate and foundation grants: $22 million
Individual gifts/Endowments/Fees for services: $39 million
Government support for mission services: $609 million
post #85167 of 102689
One quick stop tonight.

Aside from a Harry Stiles (One Direction) doll for my girls I found:

Porshe glasses. Has prescription lenses.






Red ladies Burberry trench.




1940's ladies persian lamb hat.

post #85168 of 102689
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceOfBoh View Post

Red ladies Burberry trench.

Saw a Burberry coat today. GW was charging $350.
post #85169 of 102689
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahl5yankees View Post

Goodwill in the Twin Cities averages 1.8M-3+Million per store per year and there are dozens.

I'd like a better accounting of all the good they do, other than pay people $8 to work at their
stores.

Let's see, free merchandise, Millions of dollars and low paid employees???

I guess I'm kinda tired of $29 and $49 clothing items here in Minnesota!!!


from website....(note government support of $696M)

Revenue Sources
Retail sales: $3.53 billion
Industrial and service contract work: $636 million
Government grants: $87 million
Corporate and foundation grants: $22 million
Individual gifts/Endowments/Fees for services: $39 million
Government support for mission services: $609 million

My brother worked at a local Goodwill and was terminated because he couldn't multi-task well. It wasn't the store manager that fired him, all the store employees and managers loved him. It was the corporate employees when they came in and started hounding the store's workers. He told me of their unrealistic expectations of daily sales and how they needed to "up" their prices even more on nice stuff. When the manager told them that the location of the store was in a lower middle class area, they told him that the store simply needed to mark up the nicest stuff they get ( $14.99 for J. Crew and Banana Republic shirts.). They also stated the manager would be terminated if they didn't gross a certain number of sales per day. Sounds absolutely dreadful.

I guess they have to pay for these fancy new stores that are popping up all over.

Pricing is insane. Old Burberry trenches priced at $150 and dated Boss suits priced at $140. Some clown actually bought those Burberry trench coats, too.
post #85170 of 102689

Chester Barrie sportcoat (My First):slayer:

700

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

700

 

700

 

Giorgio Armani black label solid black flat front pants. MY SIZE!!!!:D

700

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

700

 

and another Emilio Pucci

700

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

700

 

700

 

700

 


Edited by marc roberto - 11/20/13 at 6:51am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread