or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 5677

post #85141 of 110312

Uhhh ohhh, our favorite thrift store is at it again...

 

http://www.upworthy.com/words-like-good-and-will-dont-belong-together-if-this-is-the-kind-of-thing-they-do-5

 

I'm more of a Savers person myself. :satisfied:

post #85142 of 110312
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelntrigger View Post

Uhhh ohhh, our favorite thrift store is at it again...

http://www.upworthy.com/words-like-good-and-will-dont-belong-together-if-this-is-the-kind-of-thing-they-do-5

I'm more of a Savers person myself. satisfied.gif

Had this discussion before. More than once...
post #85143 of 110312
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelntrigger View Post
 

Uhhh ohhh, our favorite thrift store is at it again...

 

http://www.upworthy.com/words-like-good-and-will-dont-belong-together-if-this-is-the-kind-of-thing-they-do-5

 

I'm more of a Savers person myself. :satisfied:

 

Isn't the whole "no minimum wage" thing due to the workers being legally "unemployable" and still receiving federal benefits like medicaid? If they worked normal jobs, it would disqualify them from receiving medicaid and other benefits. This sort of program allows them to keep said benefits, while also learning work/life skills, which picking up a bit of $ for themselves along the way (which could help teach personal finance skills).

post #85144 of 110312

How about watching the video?

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianG View Post
 

 

Isn't the whole "no minimum wage" thing due to the workers being legally "unemployable" and still receiving federal benefits like medicaid? If they worked normal jobs, it would disqualify them from receiving medicaid and other benefits. This sort of program allows them to keep said benefits, while also learning work/life skills, which picking up a bit of $ for themselves along the way (which could help teach personal finance skills).

post #85145 of 110312
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwarebandit View Post

Those boots are badass, and possibly my size... Must ... Resist ... Pm...

Ethrift Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


99% sure this is NWOT

Goddamnit, where the hell did I put that "Mother of God" gif.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 951socal2012 View Post


Does anyone recognize this label?
. . .
it had a label that said "tailored in china"

Several SR houses are now putting out RTW stuff tailored in other places. Some are still in the EU at least (think Bulgaria), but others are made in the East (think the Chester line for Chester Barrie). Errybody gotta make a buck.

--

Pics of what I found yesterday.
Uniqlo seersucker. 40, slim fit. Available.
photo IMG_7542_zpseb3d05ac.jpg

Brioni tweed. Dual vent, flat front. Could stop bullets. Tagged 40R. Tentatively dibsed.
photo IMG_7540_zpsb83c4b46.jpg
photo IMG_7541_zpsb1fdc9b5.jpg

Daks. Available. Size unknown.
photo IMG_7539_zpse8c07469.jpg

!Item selvedge. 34 x 30. Available.
photo IMG_7538_zps4bdcc8b6.jpg
post #85146 of 110312
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMcL View Post


Goddamnit, where the hell did I put that "Mother of God" gif.
Several SR houses are now putting out RTW stuff tailored in other places. Some are still in the EU at least (think Bulgaria), but others are made in the East (think the Chester line for Chester Barrie). Errybody gotta make a buck.

--

Pics of what I found yesterday.
Uniqlo seersucker. 40, slim fit. Unavailable available.
photo IMG_7542_zpseb3d05ac.jpg

 

 

 

post #85147 of 110312
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroFan View Post
How about watching the video?

I did. The biggest point was a strawman argument about regional CEO's salaries. The whole "CEO salary" thing people get up in arms about (not just with Goodwill) is a silly argument, because the idea of hiring a C-level exec to run a company predicates on being able to actually bring in someone with that very specialized skillset. Despite the fact that the Goodwill Organization is a charity, the stores need to be run as a business, and no executive will agree to work for below the market rate.

 

This argument is also very separate from the idea of the specialized program these disabled workers are in. While it would be great for everyone to be paid a minimum wage, these employees are often functioning at an incredibly lower level of ability, due to many medical/physical/mental issues. They would be otherwise unemployable if it weren't for these programs. If these organizations were required to pay at the state minimum wage, they wouldn't be able to hire these types of people at all.

 

In addition, the video didn't address the fact that these disabled individuals are also receiving federal and state benefits due to their disability. Like I said before, if they were able to work normally, and received a minimum wage salary, it would disqualify them from many of these benefits that pay for their housing, food, and medical costs.

post #85148 of 110312

FUCK!

 

I shop at that store in Harrisburg where the processing center is with the ultra low pay. Having had a sibling who was severely disabled, and was actually employed for a while in one of those shelters, this is pretty upsetting.

post #85149 of 110312
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianG View Post
 

I did. All I heard were strawman arguments about regional CEO's salaries. The whole "CEO salary" thing people get up in arms about (not just with Goodwill) is a silly argument, because the whole idea of hiring a C-level exec to run a company predicates on being able to actually bring in someone with that very specialized skillset. Despite the fact that the Goodwill Organization is a charity, the stores need to be run as a business, and no executive will agree to work for below the market rate.

 

This argument is also very separate from the idea of the specialized program these disabled workers are in. While it would be great for everyone to be paid a minimum wage, these employees are often functioning at an incredibly lower level of ability, due to many medical/physical/mental issues. They would be otherwise unemployable if it weren't for these programs. If these organizations were required to pay at the state minimum wage, they wouldn't be able to hire these types of people at all.

 

In addition, the video didn't address the fact that these disabled individuals are also receiving federal and state benefits due to their disability. Like I said before, if they were able to work normally, and received a minimum wage salary, it would disqualify them from many of these benefits that pay for their housing, food, and medical costs.

 

 

Then I think you need to re-watch the last 2 minutes or so, with the blind woman with a college degree addressing this exact point, observing that they flatly refused to employ her in a position better suited for her talents, and in which a higher pay for her could be easily justified.

post #85150 of 110312

Man, I think most people should be able to find popular vinyl (ie the boss, david alan coe, etc) for well under five bucks a pop at their local record store. Maybe we are just blessed here in Denver, but all of the record stores consistantly have value bins with general stuff like that for .50-5 a pop. The vinyl will be in way better shape than you'd most likely find at a thrift shop as well.

 

Just my .02

post #85151 of 110312
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianG View Post
 

 

Isn't the whole "no minimum wage" thing due to the workers being legally "unemployable" and still receiving federal benefits like medicaid? If they worked normal jobs, it would disqualify them from receiving medicaid and other benefits. This sort of program allows them to keep said benefits, while also learning work/life skills, which picking up a bit of $ for themselves along the way (which could help teach personal finance skills).

Do you have any idea how much 22 cents an hour is for a 40 hour week? Or how much a prescription costs for treatment of, let's say, epilipsy, and how much the patient has to pay out of pocket even with government aid?

post #85152 of 110312
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroFan View Post
 

 

 

Then I think you need to re-watch the last 2 minutes or so, with the blind woman with a college degree addressing this exact point, observing that they flatly refused to employ her in a position better suited for her talents, and in which a higher pay for her could be easily justified.

The most relevant point in what I'm saying though relates to being able to keep their benefits. The blind couple is undoubtedly receiving many federal and state benefits that pay for shelter/food/medical and life costs. If they make over a certain amount of $ per year they lose those benefits. I think the federal level to qualify for medicaid is something like needing to make under $11k per year, and that's for people without any disabilities. Undoubtedly many of these employees also participate in various other benefit programs that address their disabilities, and these programs also have certain (much lower income) requirements.

 

And while the $.22/hour thing is a tough number to look at, I'd be interested in knowing what disabilities that individual had in order to fall into that category. The blind gentleman in the video mentioned he was making ~$3.75/hour, which again, would not disqualify him from the benefit programs he is involved in.

 

There isn't some nefarious conspiracy going on with Goodwill. This is a federally recognized charity organization that is providing a service to an underserved population. While it would be great if everyone could get paid a high wage, while also receiving unlimited free medical/life care, that's just not how our system is set up.

post #85153 of 110312
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post
 

Do you have any idea how much 22 cents an hour is for a 40 hour week? Or how much a prescription costs for treatment of, let's say, epilipsy, and how much the patient has to pay out of pocket even with government aid?

I do know from personal family experience. Depending on their disability, they often pay nothing.

 

And I'm not saying that in a negative way. These people have serious disabilities that need an intense amount of care. There is no way that they could pay for that themselves, especially if they were forced to find work on the open market that would be able to pay them the hundreds of thousands of $$ per year necessary to cover these medical costs.

post #85154 of 110312

So, you're saying that you have absolutely no clue whether or not they could be paid more money while still maintaining their federal benefits, but you're just going to blanket assume that they can't.  Got it.  

 

Because as a corollary, I'm very comfortable assuming that they could probably make a teensy bit more than $422 per year working 40 hours a week, full time, for $.22 per hour, and still maintain medicare benefits. 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianG View Post
 

The most relevant point in what I'm saying though relates to being able to keep their benefits. The blind couple is undoubtedly receiving many federal and state benefits that pay for shelter/food/medical and life costs. If they make over a certain amount of $ per year they lose those benefits. I think the federal level to qualify for medicaid is something like needing to make under $11k per year, and that's for people without any disabilities. Undoubtedly many of these employees also participate in various other benefit programs that address their disabilities, and these programs also have certain (much lower income) requirements.

 

And while the $.22/hour thing is a tough number to look at, I'd be interested in knowing what disabilities that individual had in order to fall into that category. The blind gentleman in the video mentioned he was making ~$3.75/hour, which again, would not disqualify him from the benefit programs he is involved in.

 

There isn't some nefarious conspiracy going on with Goodwill. This is a federally recognized charity organization that is providing a service to an underserved population. While it would be great if everyone could get paid a high wage, while also receiving unlimited free medical/life care, that's just not how our system is set up.

post #85155 of 110312
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianG View Post
 

I did. The biggest point was a strawman argument about regional CEO's salaries. The whole "CEO salary" thing people get up in arms about (not just with Goodwill) is a silly argument, because the idea of hiring a C-level exec to run a company predicates on being able to actually bring in someone with that very specialized skillset. Despite the fact that the Goodwill Organization is a charity, the stores need to be run as a business, and no executive will agree to work for below the market rate.

 

This argument is also very separate from the idea of the specialized program these disabled workers are in. While it would be great for everyone to be paid a minimum wage, these employees are often functioning at an incredibly lower level of ability, due to many medical/physical/mental issues. They would be otherwise unemployable if it weren't for these programs. If these organizations were required to pay at the state minimum wage, they wouldn't be able to hire these types of people at all.

 

In addition, the video didn't address the fact that these disabled individuals are also receiving federal and state benefits due to their disability. Like I said before, if they were able to work normally, and received a minimum wage salary, it would disqualify them from many of these benefits that pay for their housing, food, and medical costs.


I usually stay out of these conversations especially on the interwebz but I do have to say this, who are paying for their disability? Tax payers, people like you and I. Would you rather have the disabled be reliant on tax dollars or actually get paid a fair, livable wage from a multi-billion grossing company? The bottom line is this simple, why the hell do tax payers have to be burdened when, again, a multi-billion profit grossing company won't pay for a fair wage for their employees?! Call me crazy but I try to not to be so short sighted in my response.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread