or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 5657

post #84841 of 102685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoogz View Post

Thanks for all the support guys, it sure does help.  I've of course tried quitting in the past with failed attempts but this time I really do have to.  My health is no where near where it should be.  I am a younger guy and can see the negative effects already from the past 10 years of smoking over 1 pack a day.  It was to the point where I would wake up in the middle of the night from a dead sleep just to go outside to smoke because I needed that fix.  Cold Turkey has been very very hard these 48 hours, but its the only way.  I go crazy at times (like venting my story here), and the last 2 nits of sleep have been maybe 2-3 hours total sleep from an attempted 6-7 hours.  Majority of those waking hours consisted of sitting on the edge of the bed trying to stop my teeth from grinding from the withdrawals, or pacing the house until I attempted to sleep again. BUT! One thing I do know is it has to get easier as the days pass.  I sure as hell don't want to relive these past 2 nits again (well see 2nit what happens), but if I give up now; down the road I'll find myself faced with the same crazy nights. 

Anyone have a remedy for teeth grinding?  My damn jaw is killin me.

Just stay strong, man. When I quit, I crammed a week's worth of food into a backpack and headed into the wilderness where there weren't any cigarettes. I hiked and hacked--damn near 100 miles covered in a week's time. I can't imagine trying to quit without getting away from the ability to obtain a cigarette for that first week. I was like you, no choice: I was coughing up lung biscuits every morning and just had to do it. The cravings are going to be SO intense--you don't need me to tell you that at this point--but you just have to get past them. In my case, they lasted for 20-30 minutes at a time after I returned to civilization, then gradually diminished. Even a year or two out, you are still going to have cravings, but they'll only last a minute or two--just grind that jaw for that long and they'll completely vanish. Then another a month or so later, but shorter--a former landlord told me he still got occasional cravings 30 years after going cold turkey, but knew they'd go away if he could hold out for two minutes, and most people can do that. Succumb to even one puff and you'll be an addict again. That's what happened to me the first time I quit. Five years clean, one puff and right back where I started. The second time (I headed into the woods both times) was easier because I had a better idea what I was up against and didn't monkey with cigars or lighting cigarettes for friends, etc. No cigarettes in eight years now.

It may be a cliche, but one day--or in the case of cigarette addiction, one minute (at least at first)--at time. Hang in there.
post #84842 of 102685
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnutpug View Post


Just stay strong, man. When I quit, I crammed a week's worth of food into a backpack and headed into the wilderness where there weren't any cigarettes. I hiked and hacked--damn near 100 miles covered in a week's time. I can't imagine trying to quit without getting away from the ability to obtain a cigarette for that first week. I was like you, no choice: I was coughing up lung biscuits every morning and just had to do it. The cravings are going to be SO intense--you don't need me to tell you that at this point--but you just have to get past them. In my case, they lasted for 20-30 minutes at a time after I returned to civilization, then gradually diminished. Even a year or two out, you are still going to have cravings, but they'll only last a minute or two--just grind that jaw for that long and they'll completely vanish. Then another a month or so later, but shorter--a former landlord told me he still got occasional cravings 30 years after going cold turkey, but knew they'd go away if he could hold out for two minutes, and most people can do that. Succumb to even one puff and you'll be an addict again. That's what happened to me the first time I quit. Five years clean, one puff and right back where I started. The second time (I headed into the woods both times) was easier because I had a better idea what I was up against and didn't monkey with cigars or lighting cigarettes for friends, etc. No cigarettes in eight years now.

It may be a cliche, but one day--or in the case of cigarette addiction, one minute (at least at first)--at time. Hang in there.


Not a smoker but very moved by your words of wisdom and encouragement! Post more pics of your pugs, yes? :satisfied:

post #84843 of 102685

I thrifted a used copy of Batman: Arkham City Origins for my PS3. I'm gonna finish it within a week and return for a full refund! Yay, go used games!!!

post #84844 of 102685

:slayer: Barrel, that is the most cheap thrifting available. well done.  (IF YOU CAN FINISH IT)  hahaha!

bet you a pair of jeans...........

 

 

Also, i may have grabbed THE most epic ugly dog picture sweater evarrrr!!!!!


100% the softest cashmere i have handled.  =

 

 

- C'mon pnut. not everybody catches on fast. at least he's trying.  

-Snoogz , you can do it man. like gmmcl said. work it out.

post #84845 of 102685
Quote:
Originally Posted by size 38R View Post
 

:slayer: Barrel, that is the most cheap thrifting available. well done.  (IF YOU CAN FINISH IT)  hahaha!

bet you a pair of jeans...........

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Also, i may have grabbed THE most epic ugly dog picture sweater evarrrr!!!!!


100% the softest cashmere i have handled.  =

 

 

- C'mon pnut. not everybody catches on fast. at least he's trying.  

-Snoogz , you can do it man. like gmmcl said. work it out.

Holy shit! What is this? It's pretty badass! I've just beat the Mad Hatter! It's hella sick!

post #84846 of 102685
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingsFishy View Post



[/SPOILER]
My E-thrifted EGs are starting to shine up! Working on em little by little. 

Uptown Dandy/Dan Flores could tell you a bit about that model.
post #84847 of 102685

Snoogz: Please read this carefully. It is meant to help you. You struggling with cigarette addiction is not unusual, alot of us (myself included).  However, the pacing and restless nights are really a sign of anxiety.  SO I'm going to ask you a few questions (there ones for you to think about, don't reply here).  Anytime human being doing something we have to get a *benefit* from it.  What is the benefit to smoking. There are an array of reasons people say. "It calms me down", "I enjoy it", etc.etc.etc.  Some people become programmed to smoke. Whooooooooooooooah programmed? yes programmed. It becomes part of a behavioral pattern. They smoke after they get up, smoke after a meal, smoke with coffee, smoke after something stressful, smoke after sex...the list goes on and on. There was a bunch of programming done in the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's. Cigarettes were advertised everywhere. Indeed you were even allowed to smoke in the office. Reaching a climax of estimate 60 - 70% of people smoked.  Cigarettes are MORE addictive than cocaine. Now here's some hard fast facts for you. It takes SEVEN (7) seconds for the stone from a cigarette once inhaled to hit your brain. SEVEN SECONDS! It takes TWO (2) cigarettes for you to become fully addicted. ONLY TWO.  I shit you not.  Depending upon your age and personal up bringing there are a whole host of reasons why your smoking. The fact that there is sooo much anxiety tells me there is a part of you that doesn't want to. There is an internal fight if you will going on. Resolve that fight, resolve the programming, and quitting cigarettes become a walk in the park.  And I say that for the following reasons: 1: Did you know the stone from the cigarette has a half life of 7 minutes. Which means. 7 minutes after your last puff the nicotine level in your system is already at 50% of what it was while smoking. The withdrawel naws at you until you light up again, increasing in intensity. 2: If it was simply a physical addiction then the first 48 - 72 hours would be hell, as the drug leaves your body, by the 4th day, there it is 95% out of your body. SO...with 95% of the physical chemical dependency gone, why then would you crave it.  It must be something in the mind. So resolve it. You might consider utilizing champix (prescription), i have been successful once with it.  Champix functions by creating a neuro-recepter blocker in your brain, so you don't get the stone of the cigarette. Also if it is used a coping mechanism for a stressful situation.  IF you consider it as a de-stressing mechanism, understand the cigarette doesn't actually change the variables of the stressful situation.  It doesn't have the power to do that. The only thing cigarettes do is take away the withdrawal symptoms from the last puff, which provides a false illusion of de-stressing. Since on one side it did de-stress the situation about the withdrawal, but it didn't de-stress the actual event on hand that was stressful. So perhaps discover another de-stressing coping mechanism  and adopt that.  You do have the power within you to quit.  It is simply a matter of resolving the variables around it, in your mind.

 

Best wishes on your journey friend.

 

Boots.

post #84848 of 102685
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingsFishy View Post

Couple things, some are older that I forgot to post. All avails cept the last one. 

My E-thrifted EGs are starting to shine up! Working on em little by little. 



\


Uptown Dandy/Dan Flores could fill you in on that model.
post #84849 of 102685
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelntrigger View Post
 

Holy shit! What is this? It's pretty badass! I've just beat the Mad Hatter! It's hella sick!


Super nice quality, like new. but no brand labels on it at all. just a 100% cashmere label only. maybe wear it with a scarf for the challenge thread. :lol:

post #84850 of 102685
WTF

post #84851 of 102685
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

SOMETHINGSFISHY

ATLNOOB


Fantastic stand up gents with awesome trades to support my blossoming vintage collection icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif thank you dudes!

CAPNWES

Nicest guy ever? Perhaps.

 

+1 CAPNWES is the MAN
 

post #84852 of 102685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataku View Post

Some decent finds today.



White label promo. Appears unplayed.



http://www.popsike.com/Evie-SandsI-Cant-Let-GoBlue-Cat-Promo-45/290135652319.html


...
Nipple test? Unbutton your shirt and slide the disc in question in and diagonally across the left nipple. If you hear "Paul is dead..." as it moves across the skin, it's unplayed. Otherwise, nope.

Cuz otherwise... The "Possibly Unplayed"/Vinyl Record Spindle Trail Myth

I have no idea about this kind of thing, really. I just wanted to say "Nipple test?" satisfied.gif
post #84853 of 102685
One ladt thing about smoking: if you are going to quit, you gotta change your mindset. I read a book called Easyway to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr. Did the trick. I always keep an eye out for it whilst thrifting and have found a couple of copies to pass along. It works.
post #84854 of 102685
Nataku, Randomore-keep the record digging coming. As well as you other members posting your finds.

DM7-just keep doing you fistbump.gif
post #84855 of 102685
W
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsCanada View Post

Snoogz: Please read this carefully. It is meant to help you. You struggling with cigarette addiction is not unusual, alot of us (myself included).  However, the pacing and restless nights are really a sign of anxiety.  SO I'm going to ask you a few questions (there ones for you to think about, don't reply here).  Anytime human being doing something we have to get a *benefit* from it.  What is the benefit to smoking. There are an array of reasons people say. "It calms me down", "I enjoy it", etc.etc.etc.  Some people become programmed to smoke. Whooooooooooooooah programmed? yes programmed. It becomes part of a behavioral pattern. They smoke after they get up, smoke after a meal, smoke with coffee, smoke after something stressful, smoke after sex...the list goes on and on. There was a bunch of programming done in the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's. Cigarettes were advertised everywhere. Indeed you were even allowed to smoke in the office. Reaching a climax of estimate 60 - 70% of people smoked.  Cigarettes are MORE addictive than cocaine. Now here's some hard fast facts for you. It takes SEVEN (7) seconds for the stone from a cigarette once inhaled to hit your brain. SEVEN SECONDS! It takes TWO (2) cigarettes for you to become fully addicted. ONLY TWO.  I shit you not.  Depending upon your age and personal up bringing there are a whole host of reasons why your smoking. The fact that there is sooo much anxiety tells me there is a part of you that doesn't want to. There is an internal fight if you will going on. Resolve that fight, resolve the programming, and quitting cigarettes become a walk in the park.  And I say that for the following reasons: 1: Did you know the stone from the cigarette has a half life of 7 minutes. Which means. 7 minutes after your last puff the nicotine level in your system is already at 50% of what it was while smoking. The withdrawel naws at you until you light up again, increasing in intensity. 2: If it was simply a physical addiction then the first 48 - 72 hours would be hell, as the drug leaves your body, by the 4th day, there it is 95% out of your body. SO...with 95% of the physical chemical dependency gone, why then would you crave it.  It must be something in the mind. So resolve it. You might consider utilizing champix (prescription), i have been successful once with it.  Champix functions by creating a neuro-recepter blocker in your brain, so you don't get the stone of the cigarette. Also if it is used a coping mechanism for a stressful situation.  IF you consider it as a de-stressing mechanism, understand the cigarette doesn't actually change the variables of the stressful situation.  It doesn't have the power to do that. The only thing cigarettes do is take away the withdrawal symptoms from the last puff, which provides a false illusion of de-stressing. Since on one side it did de-stress the situation about the withdrawal, but it didn't de-stress the actual event on hand that was stressful. So perhaps discover another de-stressing coping mechanism  and adopt that.  You do have the power within you to quit.  It is simply a matter of resolving the variables around it, in your mind.

Best wishes on your journey friend.

Boots.
utthefukidonteven
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread