Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0, Paul Harnden, Taichi Murakami,... Last post on Yesterday at 6:57 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- The Editorial thread Last post on 4/25/16 at 7:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread) Last post on 9/12/16 at 2:10am in Streetwear and Denim
- The official list of online stores Last post on 9/21/16 at 2:20pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Summer sales 2016 - All the stuff that's fit to buy - codes, updates, etc... Last post on 7/1/16 at 12:12am in Streetwear and Denim
The Styleforum Holiday sales guide - 2015
Last edited: 12/26/15
- Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales ListLast edited: 12/1/15
- How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200Last edited: 11/24/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 5652post #84767 of 13872811/15/13 at 12:46pmpost #84768 of 13872811/15/13 at 12:53pmQuote:post #84769 of 13872811/15/13 at 12:54pmQuote:Originally Posted by pnutpug
Actually, no, you are not allowed to ask "basic" questions. This question about SC vs. orphan has been dealt with countless times, countless places, here and elsewhere on the Internet. There is zero need to ask it again. You can find the answer yourself faster than anyone here can type, again, an explanation. If I knew how to use the LMGTFY function, I would.
GW vs. SA is also, in my estimation, a silly question. For one thing, if you spent 10 minutes researching, you'd know that GW and SA chapters are all independently run, so what might be true in one city won't be true in another. If you spent more time reading the thread, you'll see that the same thrifter who found grail shoes at SA one day found a grail suit at GW on another, and a grail tie at a Savers on yet another and a grail shirt at a rummage sale on yet another. While we might all have personal preferences, or even superstitions, others have rightly noted that the only way to find out is get out from behind the keyboard and go thrifting.
Folks here are some of the most helpful folks you'll find anywhere--where else can you learn the finer points of camouflage and reel-to-reel tape players and suit labels--but that doesn't mean that the experts on this thread should be the first stop when you have a question. Genuinely stumped after spending 20 minutes or so doing your own research, fine. Otherwise, no. Folks who do that sort of thing tend to find their welcome here is fast worn out.
I don't mean to be rude and I've been chastised myself (still waiting to find out whether the vintage Gucci tie I posted two weeks ago is a thing). Just be aware that there is a certain etiquette to this thread, and the cardinal rule is...Read. The. Thread.
ima bout 400 pages deep bruh!post #84770 of 13872811/15/13 at 12:55pmpost #84771 of 13872811/15/13 at 12:58pmpost #84772 of 13872811/15/13 at 1:03pmpost #84773 of 13872811/15/13 at 1:06pmpost #84774 of 13872811/15/13 at 1:09pm
Shells are something that I just cannot seem to find. I really don't understand it, for the life of me. I've found basically every major maker, untold Savile Row pieces, the ancient, the weird, the rare, and the fun....
...but I never find shells. I have found exactly 2 pair of shells in at least as many years. It's not like I don't find shoes; I've found plenty of great shoe finds (though none from the super elite makes), including several exotics. But just never shell. Thankfully, 1 of the 2 pair I did find fit me exactly and get a helluvalotta use. It really trips me out when people find several pair, or even find more than a pair or two ever.
My neck of the woods needs to up its shell game.post #84775 of 13872811/15/13 at 1:09pmpost #84776 of 13872811/15/13 at 1:21pmpost #84777 of 13872811/15/13 at 1:31pmpost #84778 of 13872811/15/13 at 1:42pmpost #84779 of 13872811/15/13 at 1:45pmpost #84780 of 13872811/15/13 at 1:46pm
This thread is locked
- The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
- Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › The Official Common Projects Thread 11 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Double Monk Mora 2.0 Black 10D 59 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › Double Breasted Style. 1 minute ago
- › The "Actively Discovering 'New' Brands" Thread 4 minutes ago
- › 2016 MLB Season Thread 5 minutes ago
- › "What I'm Selling on eBay" - member auctions 6 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Poor Samuelsohn suit alteration? 7 minutes ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 10 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...