or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 5581

post #83701 of 113191
Very slow here lately. Pair of Zegna jeans that fit my son, and a Dunhill polo that fits me. Not brag-worthy enough for a photo.

OTOH, I showed the the Jean Patou perfume I found a couple of weeks ago in an antique shop to some of the local perfumistas. When they picked their jaws up off the floor, they assured me that it is from the late 1940s and is a museum-quality piece. The juice has deteriorated but is not entirely gone. So I'm real happy with that one. Here's another photo.


post #83702 of 113191
Perfume has value?
post #83703 of 113191
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Dreamer View Post

Very slow here lately. Pair of Zegna jeans that fit my son, and a Dunhill polo that fits me. Not brag-worthy enough for a photo.

OTOH, I showed the the Jean Patou perfume I found a couple of weeks ago in an antique shop to some of the local perfumistas. When they picked their jaws up off the floor, they assured me that it is from the late 1940s and is a museum-quality piece. The juice has deteriorated but is not entirely gone. So I'm real happy with that one. Here's another photo.


Damn dude, that has to be worth a couple grand at least.

post #83704 of 113191
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow View Post

Perfume has value?
Ecerything has value to its fetishists.
post #83705 of 113191
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post


Definitely Hanover. The Hanover shoe company also owned a thoroughbred horse farm. They used a racehorse stamp on all of their factory defect shoes. The standard if quality was so high in that day that normally you cannot even find the defect. Especially after 35-40 years if wear.

As you know Hanover shoe is long since out of business, but the Hanover shoe horse farms are still a top notch nursery on the east coast. Their barns are all over the place here. All painted yellow.

From CH ties, T&A designers, obscure shoe markings?????? HTF do you remember all of this.

post #83706 of 113191

Gentleman,

 

I have been lurking and learning for some time, and appreciate viewing all of your finds and consuming the information available here. I have much reading to do before I would feel comfortable operating as many of you do, but emerge from the shadows now to ask for your help. In short, I made a rookie mistake: I bought myself a sport coat with shoulders that are slightly too large for me. After having the coat dry cleaned (likely, my second rookie mistake), I went to a tailor with an excellent reputation expecting $100-150 in alternation costs, but was quoted $300. Now, I'm in a position where I need to sell the coat and want to make sure I can provide an accurate description of it. Pictures of the jacket and its tags are below. My primary question is, is this jacket anything more than a standard, mainline Brooks Brothers sport coat? If it is mainline, the searching I've done, suggests the maker is likely Lardini. Thoughts here would also be appreciated.

 

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #83707 of 113191
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebarne View Post
 

From CH ties, T&A designers, obscure shoe markings?????? HTF do you remember all of this.

 

Becoming his lively-hood; it makes sense.

post #83708 of 113191
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebarne View Post
 

From CH ties, T&A designers, obscure shoe markings?????? HTF do you remember all of this.

It's a gift/curse. It's not quite a photographic memory, I do forget some things. I'm great with faces, horrible with names. It can be frustrating when I remember stuff everyone else has forgotten. My wife finds my memory fairly annoying. She forgets everything.

 

 

But in this instance, I has an Edward Sexton tie a while back by CH, and did a bunch of research on him.

 

I live just outside of Hanover. Right out of highschool, my Mother in law and her sister both worked in the factory stitching shoes. Hanover wingtips were the first menswear items I ever sold on the bay. I grabbed them because they looked nice and seemed to be good quality, knew nothing about them at all. I sold all of them (3 pairs) in under an hour for $108 each.....I was hooked. That was a little over 2 years ago.  


Edited by capnwes - 11/4/13 at 8:09am
post #83709 of 113191
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post
 

It's a gift/curse. It's not quite a photographic memory, I do forget some things. I'm great with faces, horrible with names. It can be frustrating when I remember stuff everyone else has forgotten. My wife finds my memory fairly annoying. She forgets everything.

 

 

But in this instance, I has an Edward Sexton tie a while back by CH, and did a bunch of research on him.

 

I live just outside of Hanover. Right out of highschool, my Mother in law and her sister both worked in the factory stitching shoes. Hanover wingtips were the first menswear items I ever sold on the bay. I grabbed them because they looked nice and seemed to be good quality, knew nothing about them at all. I sold all of them (3 pairs) in under an hour for $108 each.....I was hooked. That was a little over 2 years ago.  

 

I use this to my advantage with my girlfriend.

 

"No honey remember a week ago you totally said we could go to the Casinos for the weekend!"

 

"oh ok"

post #83710 of 113191

Hi guys lurker here, I've made a google doc similar to the one made by jgill79, it contains all the makers tags. pm me for access, love the thread etc etc hopefully i'll upload some pics of my finds soon! (no dior monsieur this time!) :D

post #83711 of 113191

Dang, I just realized I missed my SF birthday. It was Saturday.

post #83712 of 113191

Happy belated SF birthday, Cap. :cheers:

post #83713 of 113191
@wes wait, you've only been doing this for just over two years?!
post #83714 of 113191

Skeetiest Skeet I've found to date.

Anyone know what this pattern is called? :smarmy:

post #83715 of 113191
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM View Post

@wes wait, you've only been doing this for just over two years?!

SF - 2 years 2 days.

Selling menswear - 2 years 3 months.

eBay - 7 years 3 months

Hustlin' - 33 years 10 months

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread