or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 5536

post #83026 of 115102
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLnoob View Post



  

I admit to not reading the camo primer so I gotta ask - is this a thing?  Has some dates on a tag inside the pocket of 1943.  Different pattern inside vs. out but doesn't appear to be reversible.














Yes! Yes! This is a grail find when it comes to camo. About the equivalent of finding Kiton cashmere when it comes to men's clothing. That is called HBT (Herringbone Twill) camo. Used in the Pacific theatre during WWII for mainly the Marines but the Army used it a bit as well. Brown side for Fall and green for Spring-Summer. That appears unworn too judging by the label. You're looking at north of $500 value-wise.

Here's some links for reference

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VTG-1940S-WWII-U-S-Marine-Corps-USMC-Frogskin-Camo-Herringbone-Twill-HBT-/380700607940?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58a38645c4&nma=true&si=BsUlf4rWhixz%252F36TxlE9PB%252BHW78%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-Marine-USMC-Reversible-FROG-SKIN-Camo-HBT-Raiders-Jacket-Sz-M-AWESOME-/261302046684?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd6d0cfdc&nma=true&si=BsUlf4rWhixz%252F36TxlE9PB%252BHW78%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
post #83027 of 115102
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow View Post

Pic of hounds! That must be hot


post #83028 of 115102
Found a Hermes Super 120s Sport Coat. Really nice and recent. Will have pictures by tomorrow night
post #83029 of 115102
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmac7 View Post

Found a Hermes Super 120s Sport Coat. Really nice and recent. Will have pictures by tomorrow night

:lurk:

post #83030 of 115102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgill79 View Post

Just hit Last Call myself and got a Charvet for me:
Paid about 35 cents on the dollar.

 

They had some Charvet shirts on clearance...and I did really well on a used thrifted one - might go back and grab (need to look up sold values) to help cover this trip.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post


nice!
http://www.ancestry.com/1940-census/usa/California/Peter-Stolich_2hq0tt

And 1942 WWII camo? I dont know shit about camo but I am sure that is valuable.

 

Heh - I googled him as well - appears he lived and died in the SF Bay area so no idea how his coat came to be in NC.

 

The camo interest grows...

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL3212 View Post
 

 

I definitely could be wrong, and I'm sure Nat will jump in, but this looks like the HBT camo. If so, you've done well. You can compare it with the one from Nat's primer:

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

HBT camo. Used in the Pacific Theater during WWII. The pattern is strikingly similar to the "duck hunter" pattern used since the end of WWII throughout the 80's for commercial sportswear and hunting clothing. The duck hunter pattern was also used by the ARVN and US Special Forces in Vietnam. The HBT pattern is different though. It is printed on Herringbone Twill cotton. The garments have two sides (reversible); a fall side and a spring/summer side. Very rare and sought after. This pattern was also used to make packs and bags as well.

 

 

 

Thank you for this - it's definitely HBT by the tag, though not marked USMC or anything like the ones I eyeballed on eBay.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataku View Post


Yes! Yes! This is a grail find when it comes to camo. About the equivalent of finding Kiton cashmere when it comes to men's clothing. That is called HBT (Herringbone Twill) camo. Used in the Pacific theatre during WWII for mainly the Marines but the Army used it a bit as well. Brown side for Fall and green for Spring-Summer. That appears unworn too judging by the label. You're looking at north of $500 value-wise.

Here's some links for reference

 

You wouldn't be shitting me, would you?  I did browse some sold listings and nothing really matched...doesn't have the diagonal chest pockets, nor is it marked as USMC or any branch.  Button-up, not snap-front like one high-ticket item I saw.  I don't see any evidence of wear at all - no wear to the cuff edges or collar points, just a bit rumpled.  But I take your word as being solid on this one, and I'm gonna send you a PM shortly.  

post #83031 of 115102
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiron View Post

Nice ROI next summer ... May want to iron it first .

I also found a patchwork bb but on inspection, it had a tear.

I'm a sucker for weirdly preppy stuff.

At least you give me hope that a flip is possible. ......
post #83032 of 115102
A couple things are a bit off after closer inspection of the photos: the bellowed pockets and the text font of the top half of the label looks too modern. Did some digging and googled AFT Mfg. Apparently they make high-quality reproductions. I had no clue people reproduced this pattern as it's so scarce and wasn't widely used. Sorry to get your hopes up. frown.gif
post #83033 of 115102
Found this
Looked shoddy, and stunk bad
Put it back. At least found one
post #83034 of 115102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataku View Post

A couple things are a bit off after closer inspection of the photos: the bellowed pockets and the text font of the top half of the label looks too modern. Did some digging and googled AFT Mfg. Apparently they make high-quality reproductions. I had no clue people reproduced this pattern as it's so scarce and wasn't widely used. Sorry to get your hopes up. frown.gif

I was researching as well...just found that out too. Still since it's new...probably get 35-50 or so if u flip it.
Edited by Stewie - 10/25/13 at 8:12pm
post #83035 of 115102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataku View Post

A couple things are a bit off after closer inspection of the photos: the bellowed pockets and the text font of the top half of the label looks too modern. Did some digging and googled AFT Mfg. Apparently they make high-quality reproductions. I had no clue people reproduced this pattern as it's so scarce and wasn't widely used. Sorry to get your hopes up. frown.gif

 

Why you sonofagun I ought to have you court-martialed!  :)  Dereliction of duty or some such nonsense.  Oh well - thanks again for the research!  

post #83036 of 115102
laugh.gif

No problem! I guess better finding out now than trying to market it as the real deal, right? I'm so bummed. I was hoping someone would find some rare camo with Halloween stuff being stocked like crazy right now.
post #83037 of 115102
I am amazed there is a market for fatigues. You wear them because you hqve to, and hate them the rest of your life.
post #83038 of 115102
Quote:
Originally Posted by catside View Post

I am amazed there is a market for fatigues. You wear them because you hqve to, and hate them the rest of your life.

Dunno about that, saw some Crackerjacks in the Halloween section and got all nostalgic. That's a damn good looking uniform.

post #83039 of 115102
Quote:
Originally Posted by catside View Post

I am amazed there is a market for fatigues. You wear them because you hqve to, and hate them the rest of your life.

Are you kidding?? Tons of people wear fatigues. It has little to do with whether they served or not. And tons of people collect military stuff.
post #83040 of 115102
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwoodworker View Post

Dunno about that, saw some Crackerjacks in the Halloween section and got all nostalgic. That's a damn good looking uniform.

Some can have decent value, but you have to know what to look for. Obscure marks and such...anything with bullion rates. Send them my way if you do find some!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread