or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 5466

post #81976 of 121963

Another day, another hunt. More ties.

 

Givenchy - probably not worth much, I just loved the pattern/colour.
Harmont and Blaine - have never heard of them but the quality seemed great. Would appreciate if anyone has any info.
Charvet - not as nice as yesterdays pickup as it is a little bit tatty.

Luciano - again, no idea who they are but quality seemed great - especially for less than a dollar.

 

 


 

More pics... (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

post #81977 of 121963
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUMAO View Post


Harmont and Blaine - have never heard of them but the quality seemed great. Would appreciate if anyone has any info.









Very cool stuff. High-end European sportswear label. I think there is only one or two boutiques in the US. I've only found 2 pieces ever. Spoo loves this stuff.
post #81978 of 121963

AppleMark

 

catch the rest on my new tumblr:

naturallysuited.tumblr.com

 

I got some epic stuff.

post #81979 of 121963
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin View Post

That W&G should be BIG eBay bucks. I saw a cotton W&G A2 US Navy summer jacket go for over $400. Cotton!

Most probably a original vintage W&G A2 went for that....but that one isn't vintage but because of size should do fine.
post #81980 of 121963
Someone sent me a PM this evening regarding a list I had made of what to look for in regards to old military/camo stuff. I made the post a few months ago and thought now would be a good time to bump it for those who may have missed it due to this being the prime season for thrifts to bring out the military stuff for Halloween.


If you ever come across old camo/military stuff and wonder what the hell you're looking at and if it's worth anything, click on the spoiler below.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
My knowledge is pretty limited to stuff that is either Vietnam era or US camo stuff. I still thought a visual aid might be helpful for those of you who may come across this stuff and wonder if it's worth a pick up. Here are some patterns that are very desirable.

HBT camo. Used in the Pacific Theater during WWII. The pattern is strikingly similar to the "duck hunter" pattern used since the end of WWII throughout the 80's for commercial sportswear and hunting clothing. The duck hunter pattern was also used by the ARVN and US Special Forces in Vietnam. The HBT pattern is different though. It is printed on Herringbone Twill cotton. The garments have two sides (reversible); a fall side and a spring/summer side. Very rare and sought after. This pattern was also used to make packs and bags as well.

I've only once found a HBT camo piece in my thrifting career and it was this past spring. It was a cover-all suit in near mint condition. It was also taken from my cart when I wasn't looking. ffffuuuu.gifbaldy[1].gif



Mitchell Camo. Super easy to spot but insanely rare. I've never seen any in person before. Developed during Korea. Some leftovers were used early on in Vietnam.



Tiger stripe. This can be tricky as it is kind of popular and has been reissued. If it has a green label that looks like this, pass. Also notice how the colors are darker. This is a later issue style that was used by US Special Forces in the 80's. Not very desirable.



The good tiger stripe will look like this (brighter colors)





And most good ones will not have any markings/tags at all or will have a stamp that looks like this (however there are exceptions):



A-M stands for Asian Medium. The US ones will say US-M (for US Medium).

ERDL camo. Use started in 1968. This is easier to find than Tiger Stripe, but still is scarce these days. Most were issued standard OD-Green poplin stuff.



This is easily mistaken for the modern day Woodland, especially the brown dominant pattern. Notice in the ERDL that the printing was different. The colors are a little more blured together. The Woodland (Shown below) has crisp borders of each color. Woodland is basically worthless.



A non camo item worth looking at are Vietnam era jungle pants. They are OD green and made of rip-stop cotton poplin. If you were to get lucky and find any Vietnam era jungle fatigues, you'd likely find a jacket. The pants were usually worn into the ground and trashed so they're pretty scarce. The jackets don't have much demand since there are still a bunch out there but these pants bring in some $$.







post #81981 of 121963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataku View Post

Someone sent me a PM this evening regarding a list I had made of what to look for in regards to old military/camo stuff. I made the post a few months ago and thought now would be a good time to bump it for those who may have missed it due to this being the prime season for thrifts to bring out the military stuff for Halloween.


If you ever come across old camo/military stuff and wonder what the hell you're looking at and if it's worth anything, click on the spoiler below.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
My knowledge is pretty limited to stuff that is either Vietnam era or US camo stuff. I still thought a visual aid might be helpful for those of you who may come across this stuff and wonder if it's worth a pick up. Here are some patterns that are very desirable.

HBT camo. Used in the Pacific Theater during WWII. The pattern is strikingly similar to the "duck hunter" pattern used since the end of WWII throughout the 80's for commercial sportswear and hunting clothing. The duck hunter pattern was also used by the ARVN and US Special Forces in Vietnam. The HBT pattern is different though. It is printed on Herringbone Twill cotton. The garments have two sides (reversible); a fall side and a spring/summer side. Very rare and sought after. This pattern was also used to make packs and bags as well.

I've only once found a HBT camo piece in my thrifting career and it was this past spring. It was a cover-all suit in near mint condition. It was also taken from my cart when I wasn't looking. ffffuuuu.gifbaldy[1].gif



Mitchell Camo. Super easy to spot but insanely rare. I've never seen any in person before. Developed during Korea. Some leftovers were used early on in Vietnam.



Tiger stripe. This can be tricky as it is kind of popular and has been reissued. If it has a green label that looks like this, pass. Also notice how the colors are darker. This is a later issue style that was used by US Special Forces in the 80's. Not very desirable.



The good tiger stripe will look like this (brighter colors)





And most good ones will not have any markings/tags at all or will have a stamp that looks like this (however there are exceptions):



A-M stands for Asian Medium. The US ones will say US-M (for US Medium).

ERDL camo. Use started in 1968. This is easier to find than Tiger Stripe, but still is scarce these days. Most were issued standard OD-Green poplin stuff.



This is easily mistaken for the modern day Woodland, especially the brown dominant pattern. Notice in the ERDL that the printing was different. The colors are a little more blured together. The Woodland (Shown below) has crisp borders of each color. Woodland is basically worthless.



A non camo item worth looking at are Vietnam era jungle pants. They are OD green and made of rip-stop cotton poplin. If you were to get lucky and find any Vietnam era jungle fatigues, you'd likely find a jacket. The pants were usually worn into the ground and trashed so they're pretty scarce. The jackets don't have much demand since there are still a bunch out there but these pants bring in some $$.








Thanks for all this info! I live in Oahu so every time i drop by any thrift store i see tons of military and Camo stuff. I'll make sure to look closer next time.
post #81982 of 121963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataku View Post

Someone sent me a PM this evening regarding a list I had made of what to look for in regards to old military/camo stuff. I made the post a few months ago and thought now would be a good time to bump it for those who may have missed it due to this being the prime season for thrifts to bring out the military stuff for Halloween.


If you ever come across old camo/military stuff and wonder what the hell you're looking at and if it's worth anything, click on the spoiler below.
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
My knowledge is pretty limited to stuff that is either Vietnam era or US camo stuff. I still thought a visual aid might be helpful for those of you who may come across this stuff and wonder if it's worth a pick up. Here are some patterns that are very desirable.

HBT camo. Used in the Pacific Theater during WWII. The pattern is strikingly similar to the "duck hunter" pattern used since the end of WWII throughout the 80's for commercial sportswear and hunting clothing. The duck hunter pattern was also used by the ARVN and US Special Forces in Vietnam. The HBT pattern is different though. It is printed on Herringbone Twill cotton. The garments have two sides (reversible); a fall side and a spring/summer side. Very rare and sought after. This pattern was also used to make packs and bags as well.

I've only once found a HBT camo piece in my thrifting career and it was this past spring. It was a cover-all suit in near mint condition. It was also taken from my cart when I wasn't looking. ffffuuuu.gifbaldy[1].gif



Mitchell Camo. Super easy to spot but insanely rare. I've never seen any in person before. Developed during Korea. Some leftovers were used early on in Vietnam.



Tiger stripe. This can be tricky as it is kind of popular and has been reissued. If it has a green label that looks like this, pass. Also notice how the colors are darker. This is a later issue style that was used by US Special Forces in the 80's. Not very desirable.



The good tiger stripe will look like this (brighter colors)





And most good ones will not have any markings/tags at all or will have a stamp that looks like this (however there are exceptions):



A-M stands for Asian Medium. The US ones will say US-M (for US Medium).

ERDL camo. Use started in 1968. This is easier to find than Tiger Stripe, but still is scarce these days. Most were issued standard OD-Green poplin stuff.



This is easily mistaken for the modern day Woodland, especially the brown dominant pattern. Notice in the ERDL that the printing was different. The colors are a little more blured together. The Woodland (Shown below) has crisp borders of each color. Woodland is basically worthless.



A non camo item worth looking at are Vietnam era jungle pants. They are OD green and made of rip-stop cotton poplin. If you were to get lucky and find any Vietnam era jungle fatigues, you'd likely find a jacket. The pants were usually worn into the ground and trashed so they're pretty scarce. The jackets don't have much demand since there are still a bunch out there but these pants bring in some $$.







 

 Do you know of any good resources for IDing old army helmets?

 

 The one I found today is dated June 1966. Beyond that, I can't tell much...

 

EDIT: I think I figured out what I have. It appears to be an M1 helmet with cover and liner in place. All that's missing is the chin strap (apparently these are fairly rare). Similar things are selling online for $90-110, so I think my "costume" find is a good one. When the cashier reminded me that "Halloween purchases are final", I laughed and told her it was the real McCoy. She thought it was cool...


Edited by Fueco - 10/11/13 at 9:53pm
post #81983 of 121963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataku View Post

Someone sent me a PM this evening regarding a list I had made of what to look for in regards to old military/camo stuff. I made the post a few months ago and thought now would be a good time to bump it for those who may have missed it due to this being the prime season for thrifts to bring out the military stuff for Halloween.


If you ever come across old camo/military stuff and wonder what the hell you're looking at and if it's worth anything, click on the spoiler below.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
My knowledge is pretty limited to stuff that is either Vietnam era or US camo stuff. I still thought a visual aid might be helpful for those of you who may come across this stuff and wonder if it's worth a pick up. Here are some patterns that are very desirable.

HBT camo. Used in the Pacific Theater during WWII. The pattern is strikingly similar to the "duck hunter" pattern used since the end of WWII throughout the 80's for commercial sportswear and hunting clothing. The duck hunter pattern was also used by the ARVN and US Special Forces in Vietnam. The HBT pattern is different though. It is printed on Herringbone Twill cotton. The garments have two sides (reversible); a fall side and a spring/summer side. Very rare and sought after. This pattern was also used to make packs and bags as well.

I've only once found a HBT camo piece in my thrifting career and it was this past spring. It was a cover-all suit in near mint condition. It was also taken from my cart when I wasn't looking. ffffuuuu.gifbaldy[1].gif



Great Post Nataku!

Mitchell Camo. Super easy to spot but insanely rare. I've never seen any in person before. Developed during Korea. Some leftovers were used early on in Vietnam.



Tiger stripe. This can be tricky as it is kind of popular and has been reissued. If it has a green label that looks like this, pass. Also notice how the colors are darker. This is a later issue style that was used by US Special Forces in the 80's. Not very desirable.



The good tiger stripe will look like this (brighter colors)





And most good ones will not have any markings/tags at all or will have a stamp that looks like this (however there are exceptions):



A-M stands for Asian Medium. The US ones will say US-M (for US Medium).

ERDL camo. Use started in 1968. This is easier to find than Tiger Stripe, but still is scarce these days. Most were issued standard OD-Green poplin stuff.



This is easily mistaken for the modern day Woodland, especially the brown dominant pattern. Notice in the ERDL that the printing was different. The colors are a little more blured together. The Woodland (Shown below) has crisp borders of each color. Woodland is basically worthless.



A non camo item worth looking at are Vietnam era jungle pants. They are OD green and made of rip-stop cotton poplin. If you were to get lucky and find any Vietnam era jungle fatigues, you'd likely find a jacket. The pants were usually worn into the ground and trashed so they're pretty scarce. The jackets don't have much demand since there are still a bunch out there but these pants bring in some $$.








Great Post NAT!
Edited by cpmac7 - 10/11/13 at 10:15pm
post #81984 of 121963
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmatter7 View Post

I've been finding some cool stuff here and there.

Really itching to do a bragging post.

Hopefully I'll find some time soon.

nod%5B1%5D.gif
lurker[1].gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataku View Post

I wish! Though I'm down to about a 42 R now. Still, most of the nice tailored stuff I find is either a 46 or fits like a 46. All the other high-end stuff (dress shirts, sw&d stuff, etc) is all small (32-33 waist, 15 1/2 neck, etc).
Ummm 32 waist and 15.5 neck???????? Tradsies!
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmatter7 View Post

AppleMark


catch the rest on my new tumblr:
naturallysuited.tumblr.com

I got some epic stuff.

CPs as a teaser dude Pavlov drool.gif
post #81985 of 121963

NM...:D


Edited by barrelntrigger - 10/12/13 at 1:57am
post #81986 of 121963
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataku 
Mitchell Camo. Super easy to spot but insanely rare. I've never seen any in person before. Developed during Korea. Some leftovers were used early on in Vietnam.




Hmmm, I'm guessing the Mitchell camo is rare because that shit ain't foolin' nobody, know what I'm sayin'?
post #81987 of 121963
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob View Post


Hmmm, I'm guessing the Mitchell camo is rare because that shit ain't foolin' nobody, know what I'm sayin'?

 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 80

 

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:v

post #81988 of 121963
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob View Post


Hmmm, I'm guessing the Mitchell camo is rare because that shit ain't foolin' nobody, know what I'm sayin'?

post #81989 of 121963
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

I love you capnwes

Ah.....Capnwes.......if you're taking requests..............ah..........I'm an 11D......and I already like you a lot......

post #81990 of 121963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Boogers View Post

An after work stop was rather successful but with your typical eBay fodder and little for myself save one suit. This A-2 Willis & Geiger jacket, however, was a first for me and at this stage a new first is always exciting. Coming to an online auction site near you....this thing is in absolutely amazing condition. I had to spend a good 5 minutes with it to figure out if it was worn or not. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


i found a dope Willis and Geiger shooting shirt last night, will have to post pictures. Also a pair of old school Bausch and Lomb Wayfarers for a buck. Passed on a mint Marlboro man style shearling jacket from Texas Tanning priced at $35. Might pick it up if it is still there on half price Monday.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread