or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 5275

post #79111 of 110542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post
 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

:fistbump:

 

Anything in 36S just send me a PM - See above :lol:

 

 

:drool:

 

 

 

 

:slayer:

 

 

Quick more casual thrift/discount fit. - Happy New Year :smarmy:

- Brooks Brothers Super Slim Shirt from Steve Smith

- Banana Republic Wool MiniBirdseye Pants on sale under $10 Retail

- Ebay Bragano for Cole Haan "Boots" - Ebay for $43

- Coach Belt

 

:fonz:

post #79112 of 110542

I feel a little ashamed to be posting this after the amazing hauls of ChetB yesterday…

 

Anyway, today was my first proper thrift outing. I visited 6 shops and passed on a tonne of stuff, mostly because I’m still new to this and was unsure about a few things. There were two I thought were good pick-ups. One was a suit from Fletcher Jones (Australian maker, mostly just an online shop now), it was blue with a pinstripe, with quite heavy wool, and it was well make and fully canvassed. However, they had more on it than I was willing to spend.

 

The other one I though might be worth picking up is shown below:

 

Warning: More! (Click to show)
 

 

 

 

Have I “dunn" good with this?

 

Measuring pit to pit x 2 puts it around a size 40. I usually take a 42R, this was a bit snug, but I could fasten it.

 

It is available if anyone wants it.


Edited by bhoves - 9/5/13 at 11:24pm
post #79113 of 110542
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolutionofRW View Post

Same thing at my savers. I'm getting very pissed.

Crossing my fingers, I saw one thrift dramatically jack their prices recently, I hope that was to prepare for the 1/2 off sale.

Savers is completely reasonable here (so far), GW is getting out of hand.  SA is still a true thrift, hardly anything more than $5-6.

The little church thrift I went to in Florida on vacation had a "Boutique" area, I walked into it and everything was $4, I asked the lady at the counter, she pointed out that these items are special, the rest of the store is generally $.99. Thank you sweet baby Jesus.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post
 

Was pretty tickled to find this one today.....as close to new as you can get.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Oh lawd, that's purdy.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
 

 

Thrynergy? Found this yesterday, official tie of the 1972 Munich games.

WOW- that thing is awesome.  Is that a little metal tag at the tip?

 

Y'all want to help me ID the dead animal these here things were made from?

 

They're Tony Lamas, there's an "8" stamped twice on each boot inside, but they sure as hell didn't look like 8's so I put them on and they fit perfect, I'm a 10.5, am I missing something?

Special cowboy shoe sizes?

post #79114 of 110542
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoves View Post
 

I feel a little ashamed to be posting this after the amazing hauls of ChetB yesterday…

 

Anyway, today was my first proper thrift outing. I visited 6 shops and passed on a tonne of stuff, mostly because I’m still new to this and was unsure about a few things. There were two I thought were good pick-ups. One was a suit from Fletcher Jones (Australian maker, mostly just an online shop now), it was blue with a pinstripe, with quite heavy wool, and it was well make and fully canvassed. However, they had more on it than I was willing to spend.

 

The other one I though might be worth picking up is shown below:

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Warning: More! (Click to show)
 

 

 

 

Have I “dun good” with this?

 

Measuring pit to pit x 2 puts it around a size 40. I usually take a 42R, this was a bit snug, but I could fasten it.

 

It is available if anyone wants it.

Dun & Co, a defunct label. Sold pretty cool tweed English trad coats. Pretty cool. I have one. Love it but the quality is ok...Fused...BUT very heavy and I think it's bullet proof. Very country wear. I like it.

post #79115 of 110542
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM View Post

That brings up an interesting question - is there a label guide to differentiating between the new and old sulka? I posted pics of a tie found a week or so ago that looked like brand new - and I guess it could be. How do I tell if its well preserved old stock or new from Mr Porters?

 

http://vintagefashionguild.org/label-resource/sulka/

post #79116 of 110542
Didn't go thrifting yesterday, but I did pick up a new Paisley. L'shana tovah.

post #79117 of 110542
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaJen View Post

Didn't go thrifting yesterday, but I did pick up a new Paisley. L'shana tovah.


Congrats!!! Just beautiful.
post #79118 of 110542
Speaking as a father of four, I should just let you know there are no returns and no exchanges, even when they plug your toilet with Hot Wheels and Play Doh.

Congratulations!
post #79119 of 110542
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceOfBoh View Post

Speaking as a father of four, I should just let you know there are no returns and no exchanges, even when they plug your toilet with Hot Wheels and Play Doh.

Congratulations!

 

If it were me....I'd sell them on weeBay.

post #79120 of 110542
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaJen View Post

Didn't go thrifting yesterday, but I did pick up a new Paisley. L'shana tovah.

She is gorgeous, having a houseful of boys I always wanted a little girl. Congratulations!

post #79121 of 110542

How much does shell cordovan shoes from respectable brands (AE, Alden etc.) usually cost at thrift shops?

post #79122 of 110542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingusberry View Post
 

How much does shell cordovan shoes from respectable brands (AE, Alden etc.) usually cost at thrift shops?

 

99% of thrift stores do not know what shell cordovan is, so prices are the same as other shoes (usually, between $5-12). 

post #79123 of 110542
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFlash View Post
 

 

99% of thrift stores do not know what shell cordovan is, so prices are the same as other shoes (usually, between $5-12). 

 

+1 Typically the only reason I see shoes marked at a premium is when they're an obviously recognizable brand to the masses, usually Cole Haan.

post #79124 of 110542
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFlash View Post
 

 

99% of thrift stores do not know what shell cordovan is, so prices are the same as other shoes (usually, between $5-12). 

most of the shoe prices ive seen are $20-$30+

if its something brand name like "prada" or something then ive seen them $50-$70. in thrift stores.

depends on area though im sure.

post #79125 of 110542
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaJen View Post

Didn't go thrifting yesterday, but I did pick up a new Paisley. L'shana tovah.


Congrats!!!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread