or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 5099

post #76471 of 110179
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazye View Post


Time to thrift that glock.


a 1911 would be such a better thrift though thumbs-up.gif

post #76472 of 110179

Just an unsolicited word of advice from an old guy. Never quit a job before you have lined up another one. Better the devil you know who is giving you a paycheck rather than the unknown of unemployment 

post #76473 of 110179

Everything available, except the ties in the last pic.

 

NWT Replay Selvedge - Any denim-heads have any opinions? 28x32

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

Anyone have BIG feet?

 

AE - Anyone know the model (or similar)? - Wes?

 

 

PRL rainbow cotton, PS, Gucci

 

 

PRL wool, T&A, Rubinacci, Canali - N/A

post #76474 of 110179
^Savers? Left em Monday. Quality seemed decent, but SF reviews were abysmal...
post #76475 of 110179

Looks like the Benton Derby Orthotic

post #76476 of 110179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeluv View Post

Looks like the Benton Derby Orthotic

 

The shoe in question is an oxford so this isn't it.

post #76477 of 110179
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytor13 View Post

Everything available, except the ties in the last pic.

NWT Replay Selvedge - Any denim-heads have any opinions? 28x32




Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)








Anyone have BIG feet?

AE - Anyone know the model (or similar)? - Wes?






PRL rainbow cotton, PS, Gucci




PRL wool, T&A, Rubinacci, Canali - N/A

Couldn't tell you off the top of my head, but it looks like a cross between the Strand and the Fifth Avenue to me. Got any pics of the logos in the little silk window or on the foot bed? That will help narrow down years it was made.
post #76478 of 110179
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post


Looks so to me, nice!

Awesome! Thanks, Spoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

Contemplating quitting my "real" job today. It's just getting too dangerous around here. I've been here 3 1/2 years and there have probably been 20 or more shootings within a 3 block radius, many of them fatal.


That's scary! crazy.gif
I'd be contemplating quitting if the area is that bad.


Quote:
Originally Posted by eazye View Post

Shame to think what that building once looked like. I took a trip through upstate NY a couple years ago. I nearly cried at all the cool old buildings left to rot for the past 3-4 decades.

+1. Detroit really makes me sad. Tons of amazing turn-of-the-century (last century) buildings literally crumbling to bits. Lots of very neat old houses too that are burned, bulldozed or rotting away. frown.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

+1

Perfect example of this architectural deterioration. 

My Great Great Great Grandfather on the stoop of his brand new store in Baltimore c.1914 (The little girl is my Great Grand Mother, who I knew fairly well until she passed in '96) Just noticed his store looks eerily similar to the corner store above.



The same building as it stands today. I wonder if that beautiful carpentry is still encased under that ugly white fascia.  


Very sad. I'm sure the ornate wood trim is encased underneath. The J.C. Penney store here in Minneapolis (not sure if it's even there anymore) had this ugly plain-jane "modernish" fascia put on in the 1950's. In the late 90's they removed it for whatever reason and underneath was this gorgeous brownstone building with ornate stone carvings and tons of detail. Amazing. Urban renewal was the worst thing imaginable for anything historic.




Slow day for me today. I did get a couple things:




Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Concert t-shirt from my favorite band. Also from a concert that I've been kicking myself for missing for 2 years! baldy[1].gif



post #76479 of 110179
Those AE are a Nordstrom Model from years ago. I have the same model on my feet right now. There isn't a name inside but I was told at onetime that they are the pre-cursor to the Clifton. Nice find for someone.

I picked up a Rubinacci blazer and nice Harris Tweed by St Michael. Anyone have experience with St Michael?
post #76480 of 110179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataku View Post

Awesome! Thanks, Spoo!
That's scary! crazy.gif
I'd be contemplating quitting if the area is that bad.
+1. Detroit really makes me sad. Tons of amazing turn-of-the-century (last century) buildings literally crumbling to bits. Lots of very neat old houses too that are burned, bulldozed or rotting away. frown.gif
Very sad. I'm sure the ornate wood trim is encased underneath. The J.C. Penney store here in Minneapolis (not sure if it's even there anymore) had this ugly plain-jane "modernish" fascia put on in the 1950's. In the late 90's they removed it for whatever reason and underneath was this gorgeous brownstone building with ornate stone carvings and tons of detail. Amazing. Urban renewal was the worst thing imaginable for anything historic.




Slow day for me today. I did get a couple things:




Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Concert t-shirt from my favorite band. Also from a concert that I've been kicking myself for missing for 2 years! baldy[1].gif



Nice! Sold a bunch of Mick Abrahams LPs a couple years ago. Too bad I didn't know you then.
post #76481 of 110179
Speaking of jobs, and I know this is a thread derail but I'd like to hear your opinion on my conundrum.

Currently working for a company that pays ok but great benefits very accomodating for my school schedule and is just a very easy job.

Or...

Got a job offer that pays more than double... But very intense managing a territory of retail locations that involves long hours, lots of travel and no chance of continuing my school. Not in my career choice but pays what I would make once I graduated anyway...

I just moved and got married so this decision is killing me...
post #76482 of 110179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomore View Post

Speaking of jobs, and I know this is a thread derail but I'd like to hear your opinion on my conundrum.

Currently working for a company that pays ok but great benefits very accomodating for my school schedule and is just a very easy job.

Or...

Got a job offer that pays more than double... But very intense managing a territory of retail locations that involves long hours, lots of travel and no chance of continuing my school. Not in my career choice but pays what I would make once I graduated anyway...

I just moved and got married so this decision is killing me...


First talk it over with the wife.  You are making a family decision here.  And, how important is schooling and your choice of career field?  Because, if it was important enough for you to pursue it through college, then taking this job opp goes against all you have worked for thus far.  Of course one can argue, there is always time later to finish and pursue your dream, but that is not always the case.  Do you enjoy high stress level jobs of managing?  Is there opps for you to climb the ladder in this new field, or will you already be maxed out from this position?

post #76483 of 110179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell View Post

^Savers? Left em Monday. Quality seemed decent, but SF reviews were abysmal...

Yeah, I saw that too, but I thought they might be worth it.  Especially since I had to make an exchange (for store credit) and had an expiring coupon.  Are you in the burbs as well?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytor13 View Post
 
Couldn't tell you off the top of my head, but it looks like a cross between the Strand and the Fifth Avenue to me. Got any pics of the logos in the little silk window or on the foot bed? That will help narrow down years it was made.

Here you go, Wes.  They do look older, though I wouldn't really know.

Deets (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofit View Post

Those AE are a Nordstrom Model from years ago. I have the same model on my feet right now. There isn't a name inside but I was told at onetime that they are the pre-cursor to the Clifton. Nice find for someone.
 

 

Thanks!

post #76484 of 110179

Any LA guys familiar with Ron Herman? Found a pair of chinos today, made in italy and quality seemed decent. Picked them up on a whim.

post #76485 of 110179
Yep, nice stuff. Ron Herman is a upscale boutique in LA. Their stuff can be pretty wild. I can't really think of a word to describe their style. It's expensive though. Those pants were probably north of $200 new.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread