or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 4873

post #73081 of 102927

Any tall, big dudes?? Any one else ever come across Jared M Custom Clothing? It looks like 6"8/9 would be too tall for it to be Damon Jones though. Also picked up 3 shirts from same company, probably from same donor. Pics later.

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Approximate Measurements:

BOC: 39"

Sleeves: 31"

P2P: 24"

Sh: 22"

 

Believe it's 100% linen, if not, it's a linen-cotton blend.

Fully canvassed.

Some handwork.

MOP buttons. Right? I know the cheek test.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #73082 of 102927
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM-H View Post


Spoo, Found something for you. Tagged medium. Not black but a nice yellow

Want. Emailed you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Erickson View Post

this is the stuff I remember listening to when I was like 11 skating to the grocery store pretending I was bam margera

You always make me feel so old.
post #73083 of 102927

Just some cuff links today, but some of my best found.

 

 

 


Edited by capnwes - 6/15/13 at 4:16pm
post #73084 of 102927

Today was a day I wish I had a smart phone...  Stopped in a thrift and they had 6 pairs of "Florsheim Imperial" black longwing shoes, new / never worn, but priced at $10 as "special price".  So I bought one pair thinking if I lost $10 it won't kill me.  Poking around on eBay, they are vintage new old stock / dead stock, v-cleat, 5-nail...recently sold for up to $200.  On the other hand, all 6 pairs were size 12AAA which would probably take me 3 years to flip, so, probably best I left the others.

post #73085 of 102927
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLnoob View Post

Today was a day I wish I had a smart phone...  Stopped in a thrift and they had 6 pairs of "Florsheim Imperial" black longwing shoes, new / never worn, but priced at $10 as "special price".  So I bought one pair thinking if I lost $10 it won't kill me.  Poking around on eBay, they are vintage new old stock / dead stock, v-cleat, 5-nail...recently sold for up to $200.  On the other hand, all 6 pairs were size 12AAA which would probably take me 3 years to flip, so, probably best I left the others.

I would have bought them all, the people that buy imperials on ebay for 200 are usually #menswear noobs told by gq that they need a pair of vintage longwings and don't know what different widths even are

post #73086 of 102927
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

Just some cuff links today, but some of my best found.

 

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gifSo awesome! + HUGE THANKS for the 3 Tommy Bahama "M" Shirts!!! Perfect for a fathers day gift!!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM-H View Post

I seem to be only finding shirts recently. Pretty much every thing is available

 

Did see this. Prob should have looked harder for the jacket...

This is Belvest right?

AppleMark

Recent Belvest!

post #73087 of 102927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Erickson View Post

I would have bought them all, the people that buy imperials on ebay for 200 are usually #menswear noobs told by gq that they need a pair of vintage longwings and don't know what different widths even are

Going back to get the others is definitely on my mind...but the place is 1.5 hours away one-way, not open tomorrow (Sundays), and I couldn't make it back 'til next weekend, by which time they'll probably be gone even tho it's in a podunk town.  Oh well - got the best pair, zero marks (couple had some light rubbing), so I'll be happy with them.

post #73088 of 102927

Can anyone help in dating this hat, as well as tell me the style?  I believe it to be true vintage, and I also believe it to be a wide-brimmed fedora (akin to what Hasidic and Orthodox Jews sometimes wear).  Then I saw this article and that sort of sealed it as far as the style, but the hat age itself is a mystery - I have seen them with white lining, but never red.  Anyway, images and text in the spoiler:

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Bought this hard-case traveler hat box today:

 

 

Inside was a hat:

 

 

Borsalino:

 

 

More specifically, a Borsalino Alessandria, Cappello Gold, which I have never heard of (I've heard of the Alessandria, but not Cappello Gold), nor seen any Borsalino with a red lining (not that I have seen very many):

  

 

  

 

Very dusty, needs a cleaning, and missing one button on the band.  Also have never seen a Borsalino with the "B" or "Borsalino" on the band:

 

 

 

 

Given that the text on the hat box appears to be in Hebrew, and the hat resembles the afore-mentioned wide-brimmed fedora that the hipsters were into circa 2011, I'm leaning towards that...but no idea on the approx. age though it seems to be true vintage...

 

 

 

Thanks for any tips! 

post #73089 of 102927
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

You always make me feel so old.

Synergy: Today I learned the Starbucks manager who always flirts with me, the older woman, matronly-bosomed, she of the two divorces and three kids, a cougar, a MILF, user of expressions like Well, when you get to be my age, sweety..., is in fact -- my age.

censored.gif

FML.
post #73090 of 102927
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLnoob View Post

Going back to get the others is definitely on my mind...but the place is 1.5 hours away one-way, not open tomorrow (Sundays), and I couldn't make it back 'til next weekend, by which time they'll probably be gone even tho it's in a podunk town.  Oh well - got the best pair, zero marks (couple had some light rubbing), so I'll be happy with them.

Let go of any regrets. You did just fine to pck up the best pair and leave the rest.

Shoes that large and narrow are hard to flip, even on eBay. Any buyer who didn't know that they were narrow would then write you back asking if they could return them. It just isn't worth the hassle.

AHS
post #73091 of 102927
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHS View Post


Let go of any regrets. You did just fine to pck up the best pair and leave the rest.

Shoes that large and narrow are hard to flip, even on eBay. Any buyer who didn't know that they were narrow would then write you back asking if they could return them. It just isn't worth the hassle.

AHS

 

Thank you - I agree with this - when  I list them I will have to underline and bold the size and width and state ten times that there are no returns for "does not fit" and that a prospective buyer must know they wear a 12AAA.  In any case. a decent score, maybe not brag-worthy but an interesting find today that deviated from the norm.

post #73092 of 102927
smile.gif

post #73093 of 102927

700

Howdy all. So I've lurked for a while now and I've gained a lot of knowledge on what to look for in a thrift. This is my first time posting a thrift haul and I'd like feedback on how I did. Everything is available as well and I can take more pictures if need be. These are phone camera pictures because I can't find the camera cord to upload pictures to the computer.

 

YSL tie.

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

Is this the "RRL" Ralph Lauren I see talked about here sometimes? I found another pair that had the same tag but it was made in China so I passed. Can anyone give a rundown on exactly how Ralph Lauren names work? 34x30

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

7 for all Mankind jeans. 34 waist. No length marked. What points do I measure for the length? Top to bottom?

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

Givenchy Tie, a little crumpled

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

This is my more curious find. I don't know much about Bill Blass as a brand but it's 100% cashmere. No size available on the jacket but it's quite big on me and I wear a 38. I figure about 44.

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

I'm quite new to all this like I said and I'm doing my best to learn. I spent about 20 dollars on everything (with a couple more things for myself as well) and would appreciate feedback on these items.

post #73094 of 102927

Sup noob. 

 

SUP NOOB.

post #73095 of 102927
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLnoob View Post

Can anyone help in dating this hat, as well as tell me the style?  I believe it to be true vintage, and I also believe it to be a wide-brimmed fedora (akin to what Hasidic and Orthodox Jews sometimes wear).  Then I saw this article and that sort of sealed it as far as the style, but the hat age itself is a mystery - I have seen them with white lining, but never red.  Anyway, images and text in the spoiler:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Bought this hard-case traveler hat box today:




Inside was a hat:




Borsalino:




More specifically, a Borsalino Alessandria, Cappello Gold, which I have never heard of (I've heard of the Alessandria, but not Cappello Gold), nor seen any Borsalino with a red lining (not that I have seen very many):


  





  

Very dusty, needs a cleaning, and missing one button on the band.  Also have never seen a Borsalino with the "B" or "Borsalino" on the band:










Given that the text on the hat box appears to be in Hebrew, and the hat resembles the afore-mentioned wide-brimmed fedora that the hipsters were into circa 2011, I'm leaning towards that...but no idea on the approx. age though it seems to be true vintage...


Thanks for any tips! 

Hold on one sec, Ive called in the Yiddish reserves. 3...2...1....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread