or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 4531

post #67951 of 121949
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayxlui View Post

Oh, you don't want to be treated differently? Then don't let everyone know your a woman. And from your photos, your definitely an older woman. So maybe you should take some time and learn how the internet works, and then post here again. This "I don't want to treated differently", but the "hey guys, I HAVE BOOBS LOOK PHOTOS" shit may work on the older guys, (hehe, SPOO. NAT.) but bitch you old. Yo titties saggy. This is the internet. If you expect to be treated NOT liek a woman, then don't let everyone know durrrrr. Your going to be treated differently if you tell everyone.

If gay jokes are okay in your book, then you have no right acting insulted over Deadboy's. I'm from San Francisco. That shit would get you stomped on by fantastically dressed gay guys as well as the hipster girls. to even consider calling someone gay a joke tells us your either some redneck fucking her cousin or ignorant.

While DM7 might seem like a hypocrite for comparing a girl to used Tom Ford, open your fuckin eyes you white knights. This is styleforum. We're socially awkward people that only know how to compare things to clothing. It MAKES FUCKING SENSE TO THINK OF A WOMAN AS A TOM FORD. That's the only way we can see it as. When someone says she's like Tom Ford level, we think, "ohhhh she's Tom Ford level, very nice". How else would be see it as? If we compared her to another girl it is like "she's so hot she's looks like Ellen Page?" Half of us are probably wondering, what the fuck is Ellen Page? And the gay guys would actually be wondering "how is Ellen Page hot?" Tom Ford makes sense to EVERYONE here, cause this is styleforum.

She might have been joking, but gay jokes should not be jokes.

honestly, we got some fucking white knights here coming to your defense, but from what I see, your just some older woman looking for some compliments. and even more honestly, if you hadn't open your mouth about being a woman, these guys would not have come to your defense, cause they're fucking white knights.

Fuck you white knights.

330CK. Gay jokes. No. There's no loosening up about that. It'd be like saying "you fucking jew, you want some more money" or "nigger want some fried chicken". Gay jokes have hit the point where is isn't funny. Shit just does not fly.

And dex. get off her cunt. she has a husband already.

Fuck white knights.



:mike drop:

snork[1].gif
Seriously? Settle down bud... I thought this topic was finished!
post #67952 of 121949
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBakerSings View Post

Before everyone pats each other on the back: Both sides have said reprehensible things. In a fight where offensive language meets suggestions to walk into traffic and references to "saggy titties," nobody is deserving of applause.

Holy shit. You're right. I THOUGHT I'd read the whole thing when I posted.

What a train wreck.

Sometimes I have no class on this thread, or I post after a drink or six. Or I have an avatar with...just saying It's hypocritical for me to call out people for rudeness or going off the rails in their wordings. OR many other sins of political incorrectness.

The gay thing, however, is different. Please accept this.

I believe this Titanic of an Internet argument was headed in the right direction before it rammed the iceberg/ran into traffic/whatever. Elsewhere on SF, especially when you search archives gay/ghey etc. is not only an accepted pejorative but it's almost a badge of honor to use in a sentence. (and I know, some of those posts are a decade old and perhaps at least some of the poasters could have changed their ways in the intervening years--or left SF because they were called out for it and felt unwelcome)

I didn't search SF looking for it. I'm not the language police. I discovered SF in a Google search, and started searching the site for things like "what shirt colors go best with a brown suit" and all the other basic clothes questions we have at first that are answered here 1,000 wonderfully different ways. But there among the information/inspiration I needed...seeing gay/ghey everywhere made me think twice before participating here or registering...it took me a while to realize that it's just some subset of the people who act that way.
post #67953 of 121949
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMcL View Post


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
RL by C&J shell



photo IMG_1514_zps432834b8.jpg

 

 

Those shoes! 

post #67954 of 121949
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayxlui View Post


330CK. Gay jokes. No. There's no loosening up about that. It'd be like saying "you fucking jew, you want some more money" or "nigger want some fried chicken". Gay jokes have hit the point where is isn't funny. Shit just does not fly.

Give me a break. There's a difference between clearly hateful jokes, and jokes that just poke fun in a lighthearted manner. There are jokes about every single demographic out there, including straight whites males (who always seem to be the only race/gender/sexual orientation capable of being a racist or a bigot). If someone is gay, great, I couldn't care less. However, they aren't a special flower. They will not be treated any differently by me, nor will I be more sensitive to them than I would be to anyone else. Ostensibly, they want to be treated like everyone else, great, then I would advise them to not whine and play the victim card when they are indeed treated like everyone else.
post #67955 of 121949
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post

Give me a break. There's a difference between clearly hateful jokes, and jokes that just poke fun in a lighthearted manner. There are jokes about every single demographic out there, including straight whites males (who always seem to be the only race/gender/sexual orientation capable of being a racist or a bigot). If someone is gay, great, I couldn't care less. However, they aren't a special flower. They will not be treated any differently by me, nor will I be more sensitive to them than I would be to anyone else. Ostensibly, they want to be treated like everyone else, great, then I would advise them to not whine and play the victim card when they are indeed treated like everyone else.

+1
post #67956 of 121949
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatspotting View Post

 

 

That was way wayyyyy too angry for no reason...

 

It's either all off limits or nothing is.  Simple.  

 

Youre saying it's okay to tell people to kill themselves, but to joke about being gay is never okay?  You're out of your fucking mind.

 

I live 2 blocks from one of the biggest (If not the biggest) gay district in Canada (Being Davie, in Vancouver) and as a result work with and know quite a few gay men and women - none of which have any problem with having gay jokes being tossed around - and I am sure they would have a lot bigger problem if someone told them to 'go throw themselves in traffic' or whatever the quote was.

 

I guess my point is this, you can't speak for everyone here, no one can.  Some people find different subject matters intolerable, and others find them totally fine.  There will be people of every race/religion/sexual preference on both sides of the fence, for every one of these arguments.  What should really matter - is the fact no one set out to actually upset someone, or to hurt anyone.  Easy.  If it got taken the wrong way, there was already and apology and a statement that it won't happen again.  

 

Coming in after the fact and ranting like a lunatic about what can and can't be joked about is just ridiculous, who are you to decide?

 

This is insane.

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

Question back about thrifting, are recent Tommy Hilfiger suits worth picking up if they fit?  I found a nice grey one close to my size seems OK for quality, for sure nothing special.  But I was thinking about going back for it as I could tailor it to fit me and could use a grey suit....

 

^^^ This. I can't imagine Ray waking up and having a mouth full of choice words. Which, btw, The C word is VERY OFFENSIVE TO ME. For that reason, I have reported Rayxlui to the moderators for being unbelievably offensive. Calling out Nat and Spoo as being old...? That's pretty low. What did they do to get called in to this? And why for any reason, am I being called out as old too? All I did was 1 fit pic... which I won't be doing every again. Ray, does it make you feel better picking on people because they have different opinions than you? If so, how sad. 

 

Everyone failed to see my 1 good sentence amongest the chaos.... "I apologize to anyone I may have offended. I meant no harm".... Didn't know I was dealing with a bunch of vagina's on this thread, whew! 

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Also, FlatSpotting..... If the Tommy fits you, you should get it. Doesn't really matter what other people think. If it fits you like a glove, it might be worth getting. I know some people who have a hard time finding clothes that fit. 

 

@ GMMcL: No harm no foul. But I absolutely LOVE your pants! They make a very nice statement. Quite stunning, actually.

 

@ ChetBaker: I commend you for trying to stay on topic. I apologize to you personally that shit keeps breaking off the beaten path. I truly am sorry.


Edited by MartiniGirl - 4/4/13 at 6:43am
post #67957 of 121949

This conversation/argument is like one of those trick birthday candles. You just can't get it to go out. We are all here because we like to find cool stuff at dirt cheap prices. Can't we just do that, in peace?

post #67958 of 121949
+1

We need about four people to post awesome finds within about an hour of each other. Stuff that will get people talking about those finds.

We all know I'm not going to be one of those people shog[1].gif but that is the nuclear option that might end this threak derailment.


That, or perhaps we could get those guys from the "cool stuff" thread to come over and argue about Trading Post locations in Asia or somewhere. That would unite us. satisfied.gif
post #67959 of 121949
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post

Give me a break. There's a difference between clearly hateful jokes, and jokes that just poke fun in a lighthearted manner. There are jokes about every single demographic out there, including straight whites males (who always seem to be the only race/gender/sexual orientation capable of being a racist or a bigot). If someone is gay, great, I couldn't care less. However, they aren't a special flower. They will not be treated any differently by me, nor will I be more sensitive to them than I would be to anyone else. Ostensibly, they want to be treated like everyone else, great, then I would advise them to not whine and play the victim card when they are indeed treated like everyone else.

What victim card? You invented this for your argument and now we have to defend ourselves against this invention. Screw you.

And I don't understand where you get off saying straight white males are the only group capable of being bigots. Prove that one, I'll be impressed. Did you even notice who set off this debate before you put fingers to keyboard?

Sounds like YOU are playing this supposed victim card. Oppressed white guys, man we got it so hard in this crazy world. Victims, all of us.

Main message: "Gay" is not a pejorative. Stop using it that way. Stop throwing in the kitchen sink of what you think is society's ills to defend its use. Liberal, conservative, whatever, use something else. It has no place here

(my apologies to the majority who are tired of this threak derailment. I'm done.)
post #67960 of 121949
Speaking of vinyl finds, I died a little inside yesterday. Newly shelved donation with two classic Cannonball Adderly albums, Al Green, Smokey Robinson, a couple of others that I can't remember. Unfortunately they'd all been stored in somebody's basement and were badly moldy. The kind of mold you don't even want near the other albums just in case. Most were also scratched up enough to be questionable even without mold.

Everyone. Seriously. Call your parents and tell them to get the vinyl out of the basement and out of the attic. Store it on end in normal room temperature. OK, actually, mail all the jazz to me (PM for address) and then store the rest properly.

Send me the soul and funk too.
post #67961 of 121949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrologia View Post

Speaking of vinyl finds, I died a little inside yesterday. Newly shelved donation with two classic Cannonball Adderly albums, Al Green, Smokey Robinson, a couple of others that I can't remember. Unfortunately they'd all been stored in somebody's basement and were badly moldy. The kind of mold you don't even want near the other albums just in case. Most were also scratched up enough to be questionable even without mold.

Everyone. Seriously. Call your parents and tell them to get the vinyl out of the basement and out of the attic. Store it on end in normal room temperature. OK, actually, mail all the jazz to me (PM for address) and then store the rest properly.

Send me the soul and funk too.

 

This is unfortunate to hear about! I died a little just reading that! I have a vinyl that not many have.... or at least HOPE that nobody else owns. I own the Chicago Bears "Super Bowl Shuffle" vinyl. Probably gonna get alot of heat about that, but the Bears are my team and I love that song. It's not something everyone remembers.

post #67962 of 121949
This is going to be my only comment on this, and maybe I have a different perspective since I'm OLD!!!!

I took the whole thing the other night as a joke, and DM7 was the one who got bent out of shape about scratching the hood of his car...not the term Gay. Which by the way is used in terms like "gay pride" and "gay rights". Now personally, I find the use of f@g or h0m0 offensive.

Just my .02


Back to thrifting....I found a pair of NWOT LL Bean Bean Boots. They are the low top size 11 in brown (so they would work best for a size 12). If anyone that size is interested shoot me a PM.
post #67963 of 121949

It's interesting, the only reason this topic keeps getting reopened is because of your astounding inability to recognize that you even said anything wrong.  All the side conversations about what the level of decorum should be (all should be allowed or nothing should allowed) are just an outgrowth of that...but the real focus seems to be people trying to drive into your thick head that maybe, possibly, people feel the same way about the stereotypical and ignorant things you said about gays with your joking, that you feel about other people commenting on your age, looks, and calling you a cunt.  It would have been fine if you'd just acknowledged that what you said could be seen as offensive, apologized, and then moved on.  But instead, you continued to defend the fact that you didn't see "what the big deal" was, as do others who keep coming  to your aid (the "white knighters" as you will).

 

You, basically: "I'm not sure what all you faggots are so pissed off about anyway, but HOW DARE YOU CALL ME A CUNT"

 

This is the thing that's causing people to

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniGirl View Post

 

^^^ This. I can't imagine Ray waking up and having a mouth full of choice words. Which, btw, The C word is VERY OFFENSIVE TO ME. For that reason, I have reported Rayxlui to the moderators for being unbelievably offensive. Calling out Nat and Spoo as being old...? That's pretty low. What did they do to get called in to this? And why for any reason, am I being called out as old too? All I did was 1 fit pic... which I won't be doing every again. Ray, does it make you feel better picking on people because they have different opinions than you? If so, how sad. 

 

Everyone failed to see my 1 good sentence amongest the chaos.... "I apologize to anyone I may have offended. I meant no harm".... Didn't know I was dealing with a bunch of vagina's on this thread, whew! 

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Also, FlatSpotting..... If the Tommy fits you, you should get it. Doesn't really matter what other people think. If it fits you like a glove, it might be worth getting. I know some people who have a hard time finding clothes that fit. 

 

@ GMMcL: No harm no foul. But I absolutely LOVE your pants! They make a very nice statement. Quite stunning, actually.

 

@ ChetBaker: I commend you for trying to stay on topic. I apologize to you personally that shit keeps breaking off the beaten path. I truly am sorry.

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniGirl View Post

 

Thanks, 330ck. I never got the memo where using the word "gay" was inappropriate. It was a joke, nothing more. It's not gonna happen again, either. Wishing ill upon someone for making said joke, is just in bad taste too. I'm looking your way, Deadboy. The "go jump into traffic on the freeway" was very tasteless. I never asked to be treated differently. At least 330ck is treating me like a person, and I respect him very highly because of that.

 

This may be yet another derailment, but I'm still gonna talk nicely about what you guys find and add my insight. Which, btw, 330ck... That Brioni and Canali are magnificent! Well done! That hat with the box is major awesome. Looks like something Napoleon wore.

 
post #67964 of 121949
I am having a good morning thanks to this thread. Thanks (to most of you).
post #67965 of 121949
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroFan View Post

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

It's interesting, the only reason this topic keeps getting reopened is because of your astounding inability to recognize that you even said anything wrong.  All the side conversations about what the level of decorum should be (all should be allowed or nothing should allowed) are just an outgrowth of that...but the real focus seems to be people trying to drive into your thick head that maybe, possibly, people feel the same way about the stereotypical and ignorant things you said about gays with your joking, that you feel about other people commenting on your age, looks, and calling you a cunt.  It would have been fine if you'd just acknowledged that what you said could be seen as offensive, apologized, and then moved on.  But instead, you continued to defend the fact that you didn't see "what the big deal" was, as did others who came to your aid.

 

You, basically: "I'm not sure what all you faggots are so pissed off about anyway, but HOW DARE YOU CALL ME A CUNT"

 

This is the thing that's causing people to

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

What the fuck? You must be one of them youngens too. As I've stated... I've apologized for offending anyone. It takes a big man to apologize when he/she did something wrong and I for one, did just that. It's not my fault that Deadboy had to bring it up 2 days later. Shit hit the fan again and I wasn't even the one who brought it up that time. You want to keep adding fire to the flame? Fine. You too shall be reported for using that C word. I haven't even brought up anything since then. I told everyone that I didn't know the word "gay" was such a horrible word on here. And Andro.... you used the word "faggots", not me. Spoken like a true idiot.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread