or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 4486

post #67276 of 112374
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniGirl View Post

... Turns out, upon further inspection.... A few of the Zegna's have MoP buttons...?! Am I right to think that? Or are they just shiny buttons? ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelntrigger View Post

Most of the Zegna I've found all have MOPs. Just do the "button to the cheeks (not the butt cheeks, the face cheeks) or chin or lower lip test" to see.

This.

When you press a MOP button lightly to your lip, it will feel as cool as the other side of the pillow, even on the warmest day. A plastic button on a shirt that you left in the car overnight during the winter (don't ask!) doesn't even come close to the feeling.
post #67277 of 112374
Onward! Opinions, please, Lady and Gents.

I thrifted this ballistic nylon Hartmann duffel a while back that I want to keep in the car and fill with emergency rations to meet any sartorial need. This puppy will be STUFFED to the bursting point!



I'm looking for suggestions for what to include and am wondering what anyone else may be doing in a similar vein. These will be clothes that will hardly ever be worn again unless I'm caught overnight or somehow damage what I'm wearing during the day.

Keep in mind that I have a work dress code that consists of 3 button polo or black dress shirt and khaki or black pants. However, I want my bag to leave me ready for other situations outside of work as well.

I am loathe to take any of the "good stuff" out of my regular rotation so as I find more Bill's, J Press and Brooks Brothers khakis, the early Dockers D-1 and D-2 stuff will be finding its way into the bag. I have some larger, original cut BB dress shirts that I never wear anymore but would in a pinch so I'm thinking one in blue, one in white and one in a print of some sort would cover most situations. I'll also toss in one of my early black shirts that I thrifted before I gave in to real life and started buying JAB button downs at "buy one, get two more free."
Also, the following...
  • There will be assorted socks (stuffed into the shoes as shoe trees).
  • undergarments aplenty.
  • a couple of all around ties.
  • I have a pair of chestnut loafers that needed to come out of the rotation due to early overuse but are still serviceable for occasional wear.
  • I'll put a pair of black, split toe lace ups in as well.
  • Polo sneakers or maybe Converse hi top Chuck Taylors.
  • I have a tan JAB sportcoat that I won't mind rolling up and stuffing in as well.
  • Maybe a sweater.
  • Some shorts and swim trunks?

Opinions? Thoughts? Suggestions?
post #67278 of 112374
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniGirl View Post

A few of the Zegna's have MoP buttons...?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniGirl View Post

Really?! I've only ever seen Zegna shirts without the MoP buttons... 
+1. I've never met a REAL Zegna shirt with plastic buttons. But just as someone else said, do the test. Touch to some sensitive, publicly appropriate part of your body -- nose, back of hand, wrist, chin, cheek, lip, etc. Real pearl will be cool, no matter what the temperature of the room. Plastic will feel room temperature. It has to do with physics and whatnot. patch[1].gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raist View Post

Can anyone tell me if these are grenadine ties?  I found these while thrifting today but have never had a grenadine tie, to be hones I hadn't heard of grenadine ties before reading this thread.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)





Sadly no.

Hit a couple stores after meetings today.

Nada.

*sadface*

EDIT: Oh, wait. I never bragged about the 5-6 Paul Stuart (some Samuelsohn, some USA made) suits I found on Wednesday. 1 stop, very quick run in. They'd just been put on the rack. All in good shape. Who are my 39 shorts again? ATLJon?
*happyface*
Edited by GMMcL - 3/29/13 at 5:19am
post #67279 of 112374
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post

I went to NM Last Call to check out the 50-65% off clearance that I mentioned. Most of the items that were marked down 50% or more were fairly expensive, but it meant several Zegna mainline blazers around $350 with tax. They had a few Kiton blazers, some Tom Ford, but nothing I really felt was worth the hassle and initial outlay to flip, even with a 30-day return policy. If it wasn't a 60 mile hike for me I might have considered a couple of items. Someone mentioned Fray shirts a few pages back. I had never ran across one before, but saw a few there tonight. Talk about thick buttons, they were nearly twice as thick as some Borrelli buttons I've seen.


I did pick up some stuff for myself:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
$36
AppleMark

These weren't bad for $62
AppleMark

$43, 100% cashmere:
AppleMark

And finally, my favorite, this BITCHIN' black fleece button down for $49:
AppleMark

The purple Marinella is purty, and while the Drakes is a quiet tie, $43 for cashmere Drakes is yowza!
post #67280 of 112374

Well, it's only because I often go on my lunch break, and I am suit/tie person everyday except Friday. In addition, I've had some of the employees at the various stores I go to look at me like, "are you serious?"

 

It might because of the SUV I drive, my girlfriend (who accompanies me a lot), appearance, etc.

 

These days, especially at the larger stores, you see brands of cars you'd never associate with discount shopping. Back in the day, I also had a profile in my mind who a thrift store shopper was; however, in my experiences, there's a wide swath of people who shop at the consignment stores, Goodwill, etc.

 

One thing I've noticed in the last year: where I live, a lot of the stores are jacking up their prices.

 

I don't whether it is because of the economy, the research one can do on the net with brands, or the stores getting much better educated with their clientele, but some of the prices I've seen at these places are crazy.

post #67281 of 112374

Thanks! I'll do some searching at the various stores in my area this weekend and a bit today since my schedule is light. Hopefully, I'll find some stuff that I find and can share.

 

It's becoming harder and harder these days to find treasures. I'll say, the best thing I found recently was not clothing, but a Sony high-definition DVD/blue-ray player for $5 (and that store had electrical devices on sale at 1/2 price that day) at Goodwill.

 

Well, I am not sure if the staff at that store even realized what they had, but I scooped it up.

 

I also did find a black (almost like new) Calvin Klein 44L tailored jacket for like $8 recently. Not that it is a gem or anything, but considering my height and dimensions of my body, it's rare to find a jacket that fits like a glove and that does not need altering.

post #67282 of 112374
Quote:
Originally Posted by staxringold View Post

The purple Marinella is purty, and while the Drakes is a quiet tie, $43 for cashmere Drakes is yowza!

Thanks. I can go either way with ties. Sometimes I like muted, reserved options, but I also have some louder ties. They're just harder to wear (I need more solid blue and white shirts).
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM View Post

So here's an establishing shot. Other than the coat and vest, all of this was purchased today. While there are no stains or pulls, many of the ties are wrinkled and some are going to require a lot of work... but its totally going to be worth it.







Wow! I'm from OH, but have never thrifted there. I didn't think the high-end stores like Saks carried enough of the good stuff at the Ohio locations to warrant thrifting. Are there many options for nice clothes in Cincinnati?
post #67283 of 112374
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post

Thanks. I can go either way with ties. Sometimes I like muted, reserved options, but I also have some louder ties. They're just harder to wear (I need more solid blue and white shirts).
Wow! I'm from OH, but have never thrifted there. I didn't think the high-end stores like Saks carried enough of the good stuff at the Ohio locations to warrant thrifting. Are there many options for nice clothes in Cincinnati?

Honestly, I think the best store we have here is Nordstroms. This batch of stuff was picked up in a consignment/auction and belonged to a former ambassador and member of the Bush administration.
post #67284 of 112374
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyfud View Post

one more thing I forgot to list from this week's haul:

I was going through suits and ties at a Savers I used to go to 2 times a week until I left to go back to college, and a girl that works there recognized me and gave me her number, which was nice, so we'll see how that goes.

 

She must have read your shitty blog.

 

Or maybe she has a pair of pinstriped Kiton pants to surprise you with?

 

Either way keep us updated.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayxlui View Post

Went back to pick up some shirts for the people that hit me up. Sadly most of them were gone, but managed to cop another Taylor Stitch, Gucci, Wolf vs Goat, Billy Reid shirts.

Decided to roam around and also copped a Billy Reid jacket and DSquared jacket. Saw a J+ windbreaker if anyone wants.

Pics later. Too lazy.

 

If that +J is the puffy peaked lapel sport coat style, then yes yes yes!

post #67285 of 112374
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMcL View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniGirl View Post

A few of the Zegna's have MoP buttons...?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniGirl View Post

Really?! I've only ever seen Zegna shirts without the MoP buttons... 
+1. I've never met a REAL Zegna shirt with plastic buttons. But just as someone else said, do the test. Touch to some sensitive, publicly appropriate part of your body -- nose, back of hand, wrist, chin, cheek, lip, etc. Real pearl will be cool, no matter what the temperature of the room. Plastic will feel room temperature. It has to do with physics and whatnot. patch[1].gif

+2 never met a Zegna shirt with plastic buttons. Some have really nice thick buttons but the majority have thinner ones. All MOP

post #67286 of 112374
Love the idea of a sartorial bailout bag.

It might be worth it to include a sewing kit and some buttons. Maybe also a Dopp kit?

It never hurts to have spare undies or socks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow View Post

Onward! Opinions, please, Lady and Gents.

I thrifted this ballistic nylon Hartmann duffel a while back that I want to keep in the car and fill with emergency rations to meet any sartorial need. This puppy will be STUFFED to the bursting point!



I'm looking for suggestions for what to include and am wondering what anyone else may be doing in a similar vein. These will be clothes that will hardly ever be worn again unless I'm caught overnight or somehow damage what I'm wearing during the day.

Keep in mind that I have a work dress code that consists of 3 button polo or black dress shirt and khaki or black pants. However, I want my bag to leave me ready for other situations outside of work as well.

I am loathe to take any of the "good stuff" out of my regular rotation so as I find more Bill's, J Press and Brooks Brothers khakis, the early Dockers D-1 and D-2 stuff will be finding its way into the bag. I have some larger, original cut BB dress shirts that I never wear anymore but would in a pinch so I'm thinking one in blue, one in white and one in a print of some sort would cover most situations. I'll also toss in one of my early black shirts that I thrifted before I gave in to real life and started buying JAB button downs at "buy one, get two more free."
Also, the following...
  • There will be assorted socks (stuffed into the shoes as shoe trees).
  • undergarments aplenty.
  • a couple of all around ties.
  • I have a pair of chestnut loafers that needed to come out of the rotation due to early overuse but are still serviceable for occasional wear.
  • I'll put a pair of black, split toe lace ups in as well.
  • Polo sneakers or maybe Converse hi top Chuck Taylors.
  • I have a tan JAB sportcoat that I won't mind rolling up and stuffing in as well.
  • Maybe a sweater.
  • Some shorts and swim trunks?

Opinions? Thoughts? Suggestions?
post #67287 of 112374
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniGirl View Post

Ok Ok.... Just got back from that thrift store (in the cave happy.gif, no, but really, I have one of the strongest flashlights known to man) Got all 5 shirts. All of them a currently spoken for though! Sorry Eazy! But I'll watch for more stuff in your size! Turns out, upon further inspection.... A few of the Zegna's have MoP buttons...?! Am I right to think that? Or are they just shiny buttons? The blue plaid at the bottom has 2 really thick buttons for the collar. 2 of them also still have the cardboard neck liner!

 

 

 

 

 

 

Those Zenga's are way nice.  I really like em, especially after seeing the close ups.  Love the blue on blue.  Glad you went back to grab em again.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

 

Ivory Wool Pub Jacket 38R

 

 

 

Love this jacket.  Watching on ebay.  What is the leather piece on the lapel called??

post #67288 of 112374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow View Post

Onward! Opinions, please, Lady and Gents.

I thrifted this ballistic nylon Hartmann duffel a while back that I want to keep in the car and fill with emergency rations to meet any sartorial need. This puppy will be STUFFED to the bursting point!





Opinions? Thoughts? Suggestions?

I forget who originally posted this pic, but I'd prefer to see you do something more like this Dig....you know, for emergencies.biggrin.gif

Would eliminate the issue of wrinkled and rolled clothing. Seems much more practical too....right?

 

548813_4586767864910_1835953141_n.jpg

post #67289 of 112374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garasaki View Post

 

Love this jacket.  Watching on ebay.  What is the leather piece on the lapel called??

Fake Ass Throat Latch....would be functional, but there appears to have never been a button on the opposite side.

post #67290 of 112374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow View Post

Onward! Opinions, please, Lady and Gents.

I thrifted this ballistic nylon Hartmann duffel a while back that I want to keep in the car and fill with emergency rations to meet any sartorial need. This puppy will be STUFFED to the bursting point!



I'm looking for suggestions for what to include and am wondering what anyone else may be doing in a similar vein. These will be clothes that will hardly ever be worn again unless I'm caught overnight or somehow damage what I'm wearing during the day.

Keep in mind that I have a work dress code that consists of 3 button polo or black dress shirt and khaki or black pants. However, I want my bag to leave me ready for other situations outside of work as well.

I am loathe to take any of the "good stuff" out of my regular rotation so as I find more Bill's, J Press and Brooks Brothers khakis, the early Dockers D-1 and D-2 stuff will be finding its way into the bag. I have some larger, original cut BB dress shirts that I never wear anymore but would in a pinch so I'm thinking one in blue, one in white and one in a print of some sort would cover most situations. I'll also toss in one of my early black shirts that I thrifted before I gave in to real life and started buying JAB button downs at "buy one, get two more free."
Also, the following...
  • There will be assorted socks (stuffed into the shoes as shoe trees).
  • undergarments aplenty.
  • a couple of all around ties.
  • I have a pair of chestnut loafers that needed to come out of the rotation due to early overuse but are still serviceable for occasional wear.
  • I'll put a pair of black, split toe lace ups in as well.
  • Polo sneakers or maybe Converse hi top Chuck Taylors.
  • I have a tan JAB sportcoat that I won't mind rolling up and stuffing in as well.
  • Maybe a sweater.
  • Some shorts and swim trunks?

Opinions? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Don't forget collar stays.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread