or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 4466

post #66976 of 124677
I've been incredibly busy with work, but I've been following the thread (just not posting). Great finds here, especially by some of the newcomers! Also, I've seen a lot of great fit pics, so well done to all of you guys that have posted.

My wife and I saw a documentary last night that I thought might be relevant here. It was called T-Shirt Travels. It was about the situation in Zambia (though filmed 10+ years ago) and it talks about American and European thrift donations and how they end up in Africa. It follows one used clothing salesman and also discusses the economic situation of the country. Anyway, it was really interesting and I would suggest checking it out. As with anything pointed, take it all with a grain of salt.

Keep it coming though, it's fun looking at everything posted. I'll try to get some pictures posted this weekend!
post #66977 of 124677
How soon till one the LA dudes finds one of these?
post #66978 of 124677
Quote:

FTFY

Can't believe they just hang a $95,000 t-shirt on the rack like any other shirt.
post #66979 of 124677
Well, now we know what Spoo's going to save up for after the Ferrari is in the garage.
post #66980 of 124677
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBakerSings View Post


FTFY

Can't believe they just hang a $95,000 t-shirt on the rack like any other shirt.


It probably cost a few pennies to make, just like any other shirt, so why not?

 

(subtle tongue-in-cheek)

post #66981 of 124677
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post

My wife and I saw a documentary last night that I thought might be relevant here. It was called T-Shirt Travels. It was about the situation in Zambia (though filmed 10+ years ago) and it talks about American and European thrift donations and how they end up in Africa. It follows one used clothing salesman and also discusses the economic situation of the country. Anyway, it was really interesting and I would suggest checking it out. As with anything pointed, take it all with a grain of salt.

 

Excellent, Hans — there's a free view of this online:

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeCIlgUeYlM&wide=1

post #66982 of 124677
post #66983 of 124677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post

Excellent, Hans — there's a free view of this online:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeCIlgUeYlM&wide=1

Thanks for the link! My wife put it on our AppleTV, but I wasn't sure where she sourced it. It's about 50% Zambian economy, 50% used clothing trade. Interesting to see...kids wearing Euro Disney shirts and NBA stuff. At the least, it gives you something to bring up at the office tomorrow!
post #66984 of 124677
Any of you at the Colma/South City goodwill?
post #66985 of 124677

Allllllright. So this thread got me out and thrifting. 

 

I am in Toronto, so quality finds are rare. But this is what I've found thus far:

 

1) A 3-button sports jacket made here in Canada for Harry Rosen by a company called Sedgewick. I have never heard of them before, but the jacket feels great, and is tailored for a trimmer fit through the waist and hips. I like it a lot.

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

The jacket takes on various shades of blue depending on the lighting:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2) A 2-button sports jacket made by Coppley (also Canadian). Shoulders fit me perfectly, but I don't know exactly what to wear it with. After I got it home, I found a small hole that had been previously repaired by the back vent (moth?). Had I known, I probably wouldn't have bought it. As an aside, what would you guys wear with this? I liked the pattern when in the store, but I don't know how to use it. The pattern causes this weird optical illusion where the white parts begin to look yellowish.

 

 

 

 

 

More (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

And the hole repair which I somehow failed to notice:

 

 

It wasn't this obvious in the store, I swear!

 

 

 

 

3) A 2-button black wool/cashmere blend Strellson jacket. Again, fits trimmer through the body. It is very soft and warm. 

 

 

 

 

More pics (Click to show)

 

 

 

4) A Hugo Boss dress shirt with French cuffs. Like new. Still had a dry cleaning tag on it. Boss shirts fit me perfectly! biggrin.gif

 

 

 

 

More (Click to show)

 

 

5) A Brooks Brothers slim fit button-down shirt. It looks like new on the outside. The only sign of wear is a very slight discoloration on the inside tag.

 

 

 

 

 

6) My favourite - I found these old shoes for $15. The soles are pretty worn out, and the insoles are worn as well, but the upper has stood up well to time. If anyone could help me determine who made these, I would appreciate it. They fit my foot well.  I am also strangely attracted ot the sense of history that the shoe has. 

 

 

Please help me identify these! (Click to show)

 

Soles are worn:

 

As are insoles:

 

Can you make out any of the writing? This is the best pic I could get. There is no paint left on the mark - just the imprint. It looks like the insignia had a crown and then the capital letter "B".

 

I assume that this is a new heel. I googled the term "schoemmakers sinds 1734" and couldn't find anything.

 

 

I like the shape. I think they're graceful. My feet are pretty wide, so it's rare for a shoe to be wide enough for my foot yet look proportional.

 

There are holes here as if lacing would go through the sole itself, but the sole does not appear to have been penetrated by a thread. I do not undersand why these marks are here. Is this a sign that they glued thread in to make it look like a more expensive shoe, and the glue let go? Or were these resoled with a different construction method? Did they never have any thread?

 

 

 

EDIT: Update! I did more searching, and I think they're made by Van Bommel - a Dutch shoe company. :)


Edited by scatterbrain - 3/26/13 at 5:53pm
post #66986 of 124677

So, I don't usually sell stuff for other people....but, my wife's boss was forced into buying some ties over the years by the manufacturers of the golf carts they sell. He wanted to send me a box of the unworn tied to see if I could recoup some of the money spent.

 

 

How bad could they be....right? (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #66987 of 124677
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

So, I don't usually sell stuff for other people....but, my wife's boss was forced into buying some ties over the years by the manufacturers of the golf carts they sell. He wanted to send me a box of the unworn tied to see if I could recoup some of the money spent.

How bad could they be....right? (Click to show)




























Jesus... if Duchamp is any indication, youre going to be rich.

post #66988 of 124677
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

So, I don't usually sell stuff for other people....but, my wife's boss was forced into buying some ties over the years by the manufacturers of the golf carts they sell. He wanted to send me a box of the unworn tied to see if I could recoup some of the money spent.

 

 

How bad could they be....right? (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Wow. I like that the last one is labelled "The Boardroom." 

post #66989 of 124677
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterbrain View Post

Wow. I like that the last one is labelled "The Boardroom." 

The Boardroom is a local men's shop around here, probably where he got that one.

post #66990 of 124677
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post


Jesus... if Duchamp is any indication, youre going to be rich.
 

Nice!

 

Edit: I just showed my wife your Duchamp. She said "Now, those are some sexy tie pictures"

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread