You'll have to teach her how to get to the shops before Mainy does.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0, Paul Harnden, Taichi Murakami,... Last post on Today at 5:52 am in Streetwear and Denim
- The Editorial thread Last post on 10/12/15 at 4:40pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread) Last post on 2/6/16 at 10:19am in Streetwear and Denim
- The official list of online stores Last post on 1/30/16 at 4:40am in Streetwear and Denim
- Men's clothes & shoes sizes--- Why are there so few Mediums 42R & 10.5 - 11 shoes? Last post on 10/8/15 at 11:33pm in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Holiday sales guide - 2015
Last edited: 12/26/15
- Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales ListLast edited: 12/1/15
- How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200Last edited: 11/24/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 4419post #66271 of 1387283/18/13 at 12:00pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #66272 of 1387283/18/13 at 12:01pmpost #66273 of 1387283/18/13 at 12:07pmpost #66274 of 1387283/18/13 at 12:11pmpost #66275 of 1387283/18/13 at 12:24pmQuote:Originally Posted by Patrologia
Terrible things happened at my GW during my hiatus - they got internet access! I saw a lovely pair of Christian Louboutin heels yesterday - I've never seen them here before. They were in great shape. Except for the $499.99 price tag they were carrying. Geez, what's the fun of that?
I think it's that damn song playing on the radio.
The end of Goodwill thrifting as we have known it...post #66276 of 1387283/18/13 at 1:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by Achilles_
Whats the retail on those shoes? Also, who does goodwill think is going to buy those? Last time I checked, your typical goodwill customer walks in expecting cheap used items, not $500 shoes...
Oh well, when they sit on the shelf for a year they might consider lowering the price.
Not to sound too harsh, but many of the people that work at these stores in my area are just clueless. One GW has a "painting" (it's actually a really bad print) covered in glass with a $300 price written on the front with permanent marker. It's been there for the 6 months that I've been going, and probably much longer. You have to remember that most of these people haven't shopped anywhere other than cheap retailers like Walmart their entire life, simply because they never had the means to shop anywhere else. They have absolutely no idea what things cost, and most of them probably don't use the internet on a regular basis, if they even have access to it at home.post #66277 of 1387283/18/13 at 1:23pmQuote:Originally Posted by pnutpug
Not to criticize--well, maybe I am criticizing--but why buy a shirt with a hole in it? Whether it's Brioni or TA or Borrelli or RLPL it is, at the end of the day, a shirt with a hole in it. When folks see you standing beside someone else who is wearing, say, a JAB shirt, they're going to notice the hole, not the label that no one can see, and conclude, rightly or wrongly, that the guy in the cheap shirt has his shit together moreso than someone who can't afford decent clothes.
You can repair holes in shirts--I have a CCC that got torn after acquisition that has been repaired--but I'm not sure that it's possible to make things good-as-new. It wasn't with my CCC, and although it was a cheap fix, the flaw will always be visible. Had I seen it on the rack at a store, I would've passed.
My point being, while it can be difficult to resist the lure of the high-end brand, in the end, I'm not sure that getting stuff with holes or other flaws, even if it's free, is a wise move. It's not so much the money as the closet space. Now, if there is really a market out there for shirts with holes, well, that might be another thing. But in my experience, it is tough to move flawed clothing. When I've done it, the margin ended up being so razor-thin as to not be worth the time/trouble. The OP may be in a different position that some of us, which is to say, I would have pulled the trigger on a holey shirt before I built my wardrobe, but now that my closets groan, no.
The shirts with the holes were free. I wouldn't have purchased them, even though you'd be surprised what they'll go for on Ebay. I'm sure I can snag $10-$20 a piece, and starting a quality shirt like T&A at $0.99 should bring some traffic to my other listings (even though they have holes).Quote:
It can be fun going with your significant other, although she might slow you downpost #66278 of 1387283/18/13 at 1:29pmOne use for shirts with a nice pattern is to re-purpose them into pocket squares. Not as stiff as linen or as poofy as silk but my wife made a couple into some decent squares for use in the summer. Depends on the pattern of course.post #66279 of 1387283/18/13 at 1:47pmQuote:
Speaking of which, pick ups from Friday/Saturday:
Salvatore Ferragamo animal print tie
Ben silver animal print tie
NWOT J Hilburn pants
3x NWOT gitman vintage shirts
Mint dolce & gabbana shirt
J Lindeberg shirt
Theory short sleeve shirt
Hugo Boss fitted shirt
Truzzi milano shirt
Paul and Shark yachting linen/cotton shirt
2x robert graham cotton / silk shirts
Burberry london novacheck shirt
woolrich buffalo plaid vest
Allen Edmonds Leeds shell cordovan
Florsheim imperial shell cordovan vcleat
2x Fred perry shoes nwt
2x clarks desert boots nwt
Ermenegildo Zegna suede chukkas
Mint Bruno Magli zip boots
Brooks Brothers golden fleece gray flannel suit
NWOB brooks brothers x keds
too lazy to post pics it's all on Ebay already anywaypost #66280 of 1387283/18/13 at 1:56pmpost #66281 of 1387283/18/13 at 1:58pm
I've only been to one GW so far and didn't find much.. I, actually she, found a BB suit but nothing brag worthy. Going back out in a bit, maybe we'll have more luck.
Quote:It can be fun going with your significant other, although she might slow you down
Ya, I wasn't able to breeze through everything like I usually do since I have to show her what not to get, but it was much much better than going alonepost #66282 of 1387283/18/13 at 2:00pm
The haul from this weekend:post #66283 of 1387283/18/13 at 2:02pmpost #66284 of 1387283/18/13 at 2:25pmQuote:
I've done this with a couple of unusable Canali and EZs. Buttons as spares, fabric as squares. You know, that old saw.
(Photobucket is giving me an error when I edit the pics, which means no full length shot. Sorry.) Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)post #66285 of 1387283/18/13 at 2:48pmAt my second stop of the day I picked up two things. A Chrome cycling jacket (might be for me) and the first piece from Abercrombie and Fitch I thought was worth thrift store pricing, a pair of selvage jeans...
And for kicks, a shot of the fiction section... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Edited by Fueco - 3/18/13 at 4:41pm
This thread is locked
- The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 26 seconds ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 30 seconds ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 39 seconds ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 55 seconds ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 2 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 3 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... 3 minutes ago
- › NWT $3795 Giorgio Armani Black Label Tuxedo 46L/36W 4 minutes ago
- › Cigars 4 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 5 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...
- › What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...