or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 4088

post #61306 of 112457
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazye View Post

Yea, that's the best find I think anybody's ever posted. But you know the rules, pics or it didn't happen.

Soon, my friend. Still talking her into entering Thrift Store Runway.

Just caught up on the thread - congrats on school! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #61307 of 112457
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazye View Post

Thrift fit pic:

And talk about synergy, my wife was showing me these vintage containers that hold sewing suppleys on ebay last week. She said "I would get one for you, but you'd probably find one thrifting." I told her that I had never seen one before, but that they were pretty cool. Out today and what do I find?



You have no idea.

Got this this week. Had to shell out $45 but it is absolutely packed with supplies.



post #61308 of 112457
Is this EBAY find worth it?

Seller claims wear under the arms (no pics), the RN leads to nothing, it's been 'personalized', and something's going on inside the collar.

I like the color, though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SALVATORE-FERRAGAMO-SHIRT-16-41cm-SHIRTS-DRESS-SHIRTS-DESIGNER-SHIRTS-/370744308468?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D5154131384594639371%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D370744308468%26

What's a shirt like this worth?

post #61309 of 112457
You gotta ask to see pics of the damage. Otherwise I would pass. Too expensive if it just turns out to be a luxury dust rag.
post #61310 of 112457
Quote:
You gotta ask to see pics of the damage. Otherwise I would pass. Too expensive if it just turns out to be a luxury dust rag.

Thanks. smile.gif
post #61311 of 112457
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazye View Post

Yesterday, my wife surprised me with what is probably the coolest back to school piece of clothing I've ever received. It was 50% off at Nordstroms, so I figured it was a thread appropriate brag. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
AppleMark

LOVE this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

I
I make good money at my job, but as soon as I pay off my loans ($22K to go - projected payoff is this year!!!) I am going to thrift and do eBay full time. I just love to do it and I will always have my degree to fall back on. My job is just not challenging enough and there is normally nothing for me to do because of the economy. There is also no where else to work.

Nothing wrong with that at all. Been doing eBay full time since I got laid off this past March. I love it, am making more than I did at work and really is great making your own hours and such. Can't beat it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post

^^^
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), default quality

Pure Awesome! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif



Quote:
Originally Posted by eazye View Post



And some Steely Dan (AJA!!!!) Heart, etc.

Jethro Tull is one of my favorite artists and Songs from the Wood is definitely a must-have of their's. The band went through three big changes in music styles. They started out as a blues-rock band (This Was, Benefit), moved onto progressive rock (Aqualung, Thick as a Brick, Passion Play) and later transitioned into soft folksy-prog (Songs from the Wood, Heavy Horses). I stopped keeping up with them after Stormwatch (1979) but I think they changed again slightly after that one.

Anyway, great find. Give it a good spin if you haven't heard it before.
post #61312 of 112457

I see your womens kiton is doing better. :)

post #61313 of 112457
Dropped off a backseat full of donations, and used my 20% off coupon to pick up an SF Giants hat (my size!) and the most awesome Hawaiian shirt I've yet thrifted.

It's a dead stock 1960s shirt with buttons made to look like pieces of lava!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)







Edited by Fueco - 1/26/13 at 1:33pm
post #61314 of 112457

 All available.

 

 E Zegna, made in Italy, L, mint.

 

 

 

J-crew button downs.

XL

 

Medium

 

BB makers, 15

 

Hardy Aimes London, 100% wool

 

Dolcepunta silk

post #61315 of 112457
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

Only if you share with the thread your journey through PA and your adventure in Scranton. That story had me chuckling.

Fair enough! I actually was able to search my PMs and find the story...

I did cut across the length of Pennsylvania a few years ago on my way to NYC. It's a much bigger state than it looks on the map. It took us a long time to get back as we had to stop at Penn Sate and Scranton (huge The Office fans). It was funny, no one at the time knew where to tell us where Poor Richard's was or any of the other hot spots. I think they have tours now, but at the time, one woman said "What show? And it's based on Scranton, PA?" I even went to the Lackawanna County sheriffs office/courthouse. The 3 or 4 deputies looked at me like I was an idiot when I asked if they sold anything with their name on it biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazye View Post

Yup, after a 2 year break and decade long break before that. shog[1].gif

Congrats! I'm sure it will be more fun this time around, don't let the others make you feel old icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

I
Ah yes. I was in food service for about 10 years. I loved it, but the hours sucked - especially at the management level. I too was an art major. Now I do 3D design and drafting for an electrical contractor.

Not to discourage you in the least. I make good money at my job, but as soon as I pay off my loans ($22K to go - projected payoff is this year!!!) I am going to thrift and do eBay full time. I just love to do it and I will always have my degree to fall back on. My job is just not challenging enough and there is normally nothing for me to do because of the economy. There is also no where else to work.

Am sure you will love your new endeavor. That sounds very interesting. We expect you to report back and track us all sorts of things.

Awesome goals....and incredible that you'll make it! Our students have no real idea what many other people pay for higher education. They pay between €0-375 per semester undergrad and post-grad, including medical and law school. It is also available to international students, but I feel they fear foreign abuse and that may be why they don't offer many undergraduate degrees in English. Quite a few post graduate programs are offered in English, but it's fairly limited in bachelor degree programs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazye View Post


And talk about synergy, my wife was showing me these vintage containers that hold sewing suppleys on ebay last week. She said "I would get one for you, but you'd probably find one thrifting." I told her that I had never seen one before, but that they were pretty cool. Out today and what do I find?
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

You have no idea.

Got this this week. Had to shell out $45 but it is absolutely packed with supplies.




These are neat and I see them nearly every time I go. I've never picked one up simply because I don't know what I'd do with it, but they're interesting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawz View Post

Is this EBAY find worth it?

Seller claims wear under the arms (no pics), the RN leads to nothing, it's been 'personalized', and something's going on inside the collar.

I like the color, though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SALVATORE-FERRAGAMO-SHIRT-16-41cm-SHIRTS-DRESS-SHIRTS-DESIGNER-SHIRTS-/370744308468?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D5154131384594639371%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D370744308468%26

What's a shirt like this worth?


As advised, I'd probably pass. He took the time to mention them, so I'd guess that they're problems....but it may be worthwhile to ask for more pictures!
post #61316 of 112457
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CK View Post

HUGE SHOUT-OUT to GM-H for a SICK Holland & Holland baby alpaca blend jacket.


Well, here's my best thrift brag to date, and will explain my absence: met a girl in a thrift and she is amazing--pointed out and correctly identified an orphaned suit jacket out of the blue. inlove.gif

post #61317 of 112457
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp906 View Post


Hardy Aimes London, 100% wool



What is the story on Hardy Amies? I left a jacket with the tag, but it seemed incredibly well made. I liked the buttonholes on it, but there wasn't much info online. It wasn't my size, so I didn't get it.
post #61318 of 112457
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post


What is the story on Hardy Amies? I left a jacket with the tag, but it seemed incredibly well made. I liked the buttonholes on it, but there wasn't much info online. It wasn't my size, so I didn't get it.


 

 

This one i made in Italy and wool, and like new, so I kopped.

 

 

Hardy Amies info from AAAC:

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

The late Hardy Amies (his book The Englishman's Suit is worth owning) was a Savile Row eminence who had his name on a chain of high-end shops. Amies, who died in 2003, was known for designing women's as well as men's clothing.

He sold his interest to some Hong Kong investors (the Fungs) a couple of years before his death. As I understand it, the chain became badly overexpanded (there were locations in Japan, IIRC) and now all that's left is the original bespoke operation at No. 14 on the Row:

http://www.hardyamies.com/index.php

A side effect of the expansion and contraction of the HA "brand" has been that there is a good deal of HA-labeled haberdashery floating around out there. The HA ties that I own all say "Made in England," but it doesn't surprise me to learn that some of the ones you find in the Asia-Pacific region were made in China. The English-made HA ties I have found to be excellent. I haven't seen or used any of the Chinese-made ones, so I can't comment on those.

Amies was an interesting fellow. He spent WWII as an officer in the Special Operations Executive (SOE), the asymmetrical-warfare outfit that Churchill created in the summer of 1940--a time when Britain was desperate for ways to hit back at the Axis--with a mission to "set Europe on fire."

post #61319 of 112457
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp906 View Post


 

This one i made in Italy and wool, and like new, so I kopped.




Hardy Amies info from AAAC:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The late Hardy Amies (his book The Englishman's Suit is worth owning) was a Savile Row eminence who had his name on a chain of high-end shops. Amies, who died in 2003, was known for designing women's as well as men's clothing.


He sold his interest to some Hong Kong investors (the Fungs) a couple of years before his death. As I understand it, the chain became badly overexpanded (there were locations in Japan, IIRC) and now all that's left is the original bespoke operation at No. 14 on the Row:

http://www.hardyamies.com/index.php


A side effect of the expansion and contraction of the HA "brand" has been that there is a good deal of HA-labeled haberdashery floating around out there. The HA ties that I own all say "Made in England," but it doesn't surprise me to learn that some of the ones you find in the Asia-Pacific region were made in China. The English-made HA ties I have found to be excellent. I haven't seen or used any of the Chinese-made ones, so I can't comment on those.


Amies was an interesting fellow. He spent WWII as an officer in the Special Operations Executive (SOE), the asymmetrical-warfare outfit that Churchill created in the summer of 1940--a time when Britain was desperate for ways to hit back at the Axis--with a mission to "set Europe on fire."

Thanks for the helpful info! I do like that tie, it's actually fairly interesting. I suppose I should go back and eye that odd jacket and at least check out a size/get pictures in case someone here would be interested.
post #61320 of 112457
IIRC correctly Hardie Amies was an English designer that rose to prominence during the 60s. There's a book about the history of 60s & 70s menswear in England - Day of the Peacock - that has a big about HR and others of that period.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread