or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 3912

post #58666 of 113190
Quote:
Originallabsolut by Dadun hill, y, do you guys ever stash stuff in a particularly overlooked or overloaded corner of a thrift shop, hoping it will still be there on sale day? ...cause I think I just bought some dude's thrift stash. Pics tomorrow.
(disclaimer - this is nothing compared to the stuff in LA or NYC, but I think it's pretty solid for Ohio)

Only once, and it didn't work.

 

Today I found an absolutely mint Dunhill tux...  but the pants (unpriced) had been stashed with the childrens clothing.  Seeing as how the mens and childrens clothing are next to each other, someone was exceptionally lazy.  The smart ones stash the good clothing (or what they think is good clothing/or clothing they want) in the women's section.  As a result, anytime I find golden fleece jackets, I know I'm going through women's pants to find the pants and the stashed Brunello's.

 

Good haul today.  Besides the Dunhill, about 7 pairs of Aldens (if you include the BB branded ones) in beautiful shape.  I do love Tax season.

post #58667 of 113190

Yeah I've been on both sides of that equation.  Actually that crazy red tartan double-vented jacket w/ throat-latch was stashed in the women's jackets, along with an Anderson-Little tweed in my size that was stained to death.  Looks like because they were good but damaged items they were waiting for a sale.  Well, to help out people my size I put the tweed back into its place.  My opinion is that if they really wanted it they would've taken it.  To leave something behind, stashed or not, is to make a value judgment about how much it's worth to you.  It's funny because the tartan jacket had a tag that made it discounted when I picked it up, so I don't even know what they were waiting for.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebryant View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM View Post
Hey, do you guys ever stash stuff in a particularly overlooked or overloaded corner of a thrift shop, hoping it will still be there on sale day? ...cause I think I just bought some dude's thrift stash. Pics tomorrow.
(disclaimer - this is nothing compared to the stuff in LA or NYC, but I think it's pretty solid for Ohio)

Ive heard of alot of people doing that. Ive done it a couple of times but they weren't as good as I thought because ive gone back like the following day and half of the shit would be gone and the other half ended up back where it belonged.

 

I wanted to give thanks to westling for a great trade and being a standup dude.  Also, in light of my recent hat finds, it made me appreciate the ones DanM was generous enough to pass on to me way back.  Still haven't found any hats your size, man, but will keep on looking.
 

 

Now, I don't know if any of you are into the Gilt group, but right now they have some good deals on BB BF and VV ties and Wolverine boots.  Higher than thrift prices, surely, but still much better than retail.  If you're not yet a member, you should check it out.  This will give you an additional $25 off:

link: (Click to show)

here

 

Edit: I checked and the above link may not work; PM me and I can give you a link.
 

I would do it soon, though, as their stuff sells out super fast.  A little while ago they had some really nice cashmere stuff that sold out within a day... Not trying to spam[1].gif, but wanted to pass along a deal.
 

 

Also, came across a BB 1818 shirt in 16.5x34/35 (Available) Normally don't pick this up, but was in mint condition.

 

Photobucket
 

 

I attended a post-Xmas party tonight, at which I did get a chance to wear my holiday tie:

thrift fit: (Click to show)

Of course I probably went overboard with the patterns.

Photobucket
 

Top half only, sorry, was in a rush to get out the door.  This was paired with dark blue raw (non-selvedge) denim Levi's 517 at a heavy discount and brown Florsheim Imperial monkstrap ankle-boots from the 'bay.


Tie: Loris Azzaro thrifted by me
Jacket: Bespoke (no tags) thrifted by me
PS: Etro thrifted by Nataku
Shirt: Not SF approved, but thrifted


Edited by CesarC - 12/28/12 at 11:04pm
post #58668 of 113190

The million dollar question is, what size Aldens?

post #58669 of 113190

Ok, still drunk(er) but big shout out to eazy and spoo for chirstmas cards! Good dudes here, all around. Plus Capn is about to hook me up with the sorostitute ambrosia, and eazy hooked it up with the best horse race tie EVER!

EDIT: If i find a stash, and they aren't obviously a dumbass, sometimes I take it all as a matter of principle, how greedy can you be? Were talking $2 shirts instead of $4.. retarted

post #58670 of 113190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpmorris View Post

I know your a martial artist of somesort grendel, but im drunk and this made me lol for real, not because it isn't true, but because someone is talking about sparring female senseis on the internet... still funny

 

I'm not drunk but this made me lol for real, too...I wish I can roll with a curvaceous female sensei/student/friend/classmate/fighter where I'll pull mount on her and then she will pull guard on me and maybe I'll try hard enough, she'll put me in a triangle...inlove.gif...and yes, that's my strategy. I've clearly thought this through...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CesarC View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Yeah I've been on both sides of that equation.  Actually that crazy red tartan double-vented jacket w/ throat-latch was stashed in the women's jackets, along with an Anderson-Little tweed in my size that was stained to death.  Looks like because they were good but damaged items they were waiting for a sale.  Well, to help out people my size I put the tweed back into its place.  My opinion is that if they really wanted it they would've taken it.  To leave something behind, stashed or not, is to make a value judgment about how much it's worth to you.  It's funny because the tartan jacket had a tag that made it discounted when I picked it up, so I don't even know what they were waiting for.

 

 

I wanted to give thanks to westling for a great trade and being a standup dude.  Also, in light of my recent hat finds, it made me appreciate the ones DanM was generous enough to pass on to me way back.  Still haven't found any hats your size, man, but will keep on looking.
 

 

Now, I don't know if any of you are into the Gilt group, but right now they have some good deals on BB BF and VV ties and Wolverine boots.  Higher than thrift prices, surely, but still much better than retail.  If you're not yet a member, you should check it out.  This will give you an additional $25 off:

link: (Click to show)

here

 

Edit: I checked and the above link may not work; PM me and I can give you a link.
 

I would do it soon, though, as their stuff sells out super fast.  A little while ago they had some really nice cashmere stuff that sold out within a day... Not trying to spam%5B1%5D.gif, but wanted to pass along a deal.
 

 

Also, came across a BB 1818 shirt in 16.5x34/35 (Available) Normally don't pick this up, but was in mint condition.

 

Photobucket
 

 

I attended a post-Xmas party tonight, at which I did get a chance to wear my holiday tie:

 

 

thrift fit: (Click to show)

Of course I probably went overboard with the patterns.

Photobucket
 

Top half only, sorry, was in a rush to get out the door.  This was paired with dark blue raw (non-selvedge) denim Levi's 517 at a heavy discount and brown Florsheim Imperial monkstrap ankle-boots from the 'bay.


Tie: Loris Azzaro thrifted by me
Jacket: Bespoke (no tags) thrifted by me
PS: Etro thrifted by Nataku
Shirt: Not SF approved, but thrifted

 

That is some loud/sick pattern I've seen in days!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpmorris View Post

Ok, still drunk(er) but big shout out to eazy and spoo for chirstmas cards! Good dudes here, all around. Plus Capn is about to hook me up with the sorostitute ambrosia, and eazy hooked it up with the best horse race tie EVER!

EDIT: If i find a stash, and they aren't obviously a dumbass, sometimes I take it all as a matter of principle, how greedy can you be? Were talking $2 shirts instead of $4.. retarted

 

lol8[1].gif

post #58671 of 113190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpmorris View Post

Ok, still drunk(er) but big shout out to eazy and spoo for chirstmas cards! Good dudes here, all around. Plus Capn is about to hook me up with the sorostitute ambrosia, and eazy hooked it up with the best horse race tie EVER!
EDIT: If i find a stash, and they aren't obviously a dumbass, sometimes I take it all as a matter of principle, how greedy can you be? Were talking $2 shirts instead of $4.. retarted

cheers.gif
post #58672 of 113190

No pics yet but this time we have:

 

Zegna Trofeo 40L

DB Mani 40L

(Teehee both free!)

 

Canali 40R Tux

 

Just want to put it out there that if anyone finds a 36 suit in staple colors or awesome shirts in 14.5/slim as hell, I'm still looking!

post #58673 of 113190
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingsFishy View Post

No pics yet but this time we have:

 

Zegna Trofeo 40L

DB Mani 40L

(Teehee both free!)

 

Canali 40R Tux

 

Just want to put it out there that if anyone finds a 36 suit in staple colors or awesome shirts in 14.5/slim as hell, I'm still looking!

 

I have a few nice 16 to 16.5 shirts. Maybe it's time for you to eat some cheese burgers and hit the weights, brah? biggrin.gif

post #58674 of 113190
Sorry, there are a bunch of posts I need to respond to, but am posting from this blasted iPad once again. Cannot figure out how to quote, so I will catch up on those later.

If anyone makes a road trip to LA, don't set your hopes too high. Visited the wife's family here in SoCal this past week or so. Was able to hit LA twice of our stay, both full days. I don't know how you LA folks do it, but I think I set my standards too high and came out disappointed in the end. We set out with the land of milk and honey in mind. Hit 40 or so stores over two days and don't have much to show for It. Yesterday I was out all day from morning till night and maybe hit 20 stores. The wife found some Tods pumps and Jimmy Choo flats but I came out with a recent Lanvin tie and a vintage Hermes tie. Had a little better luck last week but nothing insane. Felt like I was thrifting in the wake of a big timer on here. Oh well, I'm just tired and worn out. Passed on a bunch of stuff I would normally turn stores upside down for at home like recent Hugo Boss and HF orphans. Matching pants down here seemed near impossible so I didn't even bother. I suppose like anywhere else it's luck and right timing. Especially since there are so many people at the LA stores.
post #58675 of 113190

Did anyone notice that the Anderson & Sheppard item that RAYXLUI posted in post 58571 is made for the same attorney (CARPIO) as SPOO’s Brown Vicuna post?

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anderson-Sheppard-Savile-Row-BESPOKE-100-Vicuna-Sport-Coat-Jacket-Blazer-NR-/350644972564?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&nma=true&si=IooVdrHWybldGF%2B%2BmGDPCnJBtzY%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

post #58676 of 113190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataku View Post

Sorry, there are a bunch of posts I need to respond to, but am posting from this blasted iPad once again. Cannot figure out how to quote, so I will catch up on those later.
If anyone makes a road trip to LA, don't set your hopes too high. Visited the wife's family here in SoCal this past week or so. Was able to hit LA twice of our stay, both full days. I don't know how you LA folks do it, but I think I set my standards too high and came out disappointed in the end. We set out with the land of milk and honey in mind. Hit 40 or so stores over two days and don't have much to show for It. Yesterday I was out all day from morning till night and maybe hit 20 stores. The wife found some Tods pumps and Jimmy Choo flats but I came out with a recent Lanvin tie and a vintage Hermes tie. Had a little better luck last week but nothing insane. Felt like I was thrifting in the wake of a big timer on here. Oh well, I'm just tired and worn out. Passed on a bunch of stuff I would normally turn stores upside down for at home like recent Hugo Boss and HF orphans. Matching pants down here seemed near impossible so I didn't even bother. I suppose like anywhere else it's luck and right timing. Especially since there are so many people at the LA stores.

 

If you're still here tomorrow, shoot me a text.

 

... maybe I can change your luck.

post #58677 of 113190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataku View Post

Sorry, there are a bunch of posts I need to respond to, but am posting from this blasted iPad once again. Cannot figure out how to quote, so I will catch up on those later.
If anyone makes a road trip to LA, don't set your hopes too high. Visited the wife's family here in SoCal this past week or so. Was able to hit LA twice of our stay, both full days. I don't know how you LA folks do it, but I think I set my standards too high and came out disappointed in the end. We set out with the land of milk and honey in mind. Hit 40 or so stores over two days and don't have much to show for It. Yesterday I was out all day from morning till night and maybe hit 20 stores. The wife found some Tods pumps and Jimmy Choo flats but I came out with a recent Lanvin tie and a vintage Hermes tie. Had a little better luck last week but nothing insane. Felt like I was thrifting in the wake of a big timer on here. Oh well, I'm just tired and worn out. Passed on a bunch of stuff I would normally turn stores upside down for at home like recent Hugo Boss and HF orphans. Matching pants down here seemed near impossible so I didn't even bother. I suppose like anywhere else it's luck and right timing. Especially since there are so many people at the LA stores.

And thus proves SF > LA.
post #58678 of 113190
Aquascutum trench, sweet tweed that fits like a glove. Not pictured - canali slacks.



post #58679 of 113190
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingsFishy View Post

No pics yet but this time we have:

Zegna Trofeo 40L
DB Mani 40L
(Teehee both free!)

Canali 40R Tux

Just want to put it out there that if anyone finds a 36 suit in staple colors or awesome shirts in 14.5/slim as hell, I'm still looking!

Im listening if that Zegna is recent and has 26" sleeves.
post #58680 of 113190

Question:  If your walking to the thrift store (as I was yesterday) and stumble upon a complete vintage NAD stereo system (7020e receiver, 5100 CD player and a NAD tape deck) in their boxes with foam (sans manuals) but on the trash, does that count as a brag-worthy find?  Since this was a block away the total cost was me running back to my house for my red flyer wagon....

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread