or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 3685

post #55261 of 113190
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel View Post

Yeah, it's worth finishing college. Maybe just do one or two classes at a time.

Absolutely. College is not for everyone--think folks who need remedial courses upon arrival on campus--but if you have the brains, which is obvious in this case, you should really finish school. For every Bill Gates dropout, there are 100 others who toil for way less than they're worth for lack of a diploma. That's just reality.
post #55262 of 113190
Quote:
Originally Posted by tben View Post

 


I am not a Tag expert but shouldn't it say Swiss Made? It could be before and/or during a time when Tag didn't use that phrase...? I am not really up on anything Tag Heuer. Did you remove the caseback?


I removed the caseback and it looks authentic to me. I'm not an expert though. Maybe I should take it to a watch dealer and see. Unless someone can assist.

post #55263 of 113190
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmatter7 View Post

So remember when a couple members mentioned that I should drop out of school and open up a used clothing shop / business?

 

Well...

 


I congratulate you for doing what you love (if I had more luck I'd be tempted to do the same thing!) but I would also say to finish college slowly. At least as a backup.

post #55264 of 113190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Abed View Post

 

 

Best of all it's barely been used. It's seen some famous faces already though, it was used to photograph everyone seen here... Sound City.

 

Wow, is that standard issue for insulated, indoor shoots?  I thought it was some sort of waterproof dive enclosure.  Had no idea there was such a thing to muffle sound.  I'm assuming it's to eliminate the sound of your camera, but if you're shooting video (as on the sound city site), there is no shutter sound. dozingoff.gif

post #55265 of 113190
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmatter7 View Post

So remember when a couple members mentioned that I should drop out of school and open up a used clothing shop / business?

 

Well...

 

 

Well, a word of caution.  There is a war on, most people still forget that.  When all that stuff started I was in college - remember the rather pathetic protests and counter-protests by the school's republican club.  I dropped out and found myself on a boat.  Spent a couple doing "stuff" mostly mundane but some interesting.  Those in the republican club where later photographed drinking champagne in Saddam's pools - pretty darn jealous.  First time I made "good" money too (not really knowing how close to poverty wages it really was).  Overall was a nice/stable feeling.

 

Well, If I had a college degree then, I would have been financially better off by about a factor of 3 - 6x.  Returning to college and getting my degree later sucked.  There is a time and a place to do everything and college is best done when your young.  I was the crotchey old guy - at 28.  Some of my former classmates became my professors (weird).  That being said, if your heart is not in it (and your not earning at least straight B+'s) your wasting a lot of money.  But it only gets more expensive: college was 30k a year when I went, and about 55k a year when I returned, but I went to a well-regarded private school.  You won't know if you could have made a "better" choice until once this is all done - i.e. you return to school later and realize you forgot your all point-set topology tricks which you find so easy right now.

 

I'd advise you to just finish your degree.  If I recall correctly, yours is in math which will really make life very easy - give you something with a solid fallback option with a better salary than a business/econ/english degree - but most importantly teaches strong logic and critical thinking skills.  If you can do this is your spare time, you'll live well for a college student and have a hobby to keep you out of trouble.

 

But, one big mistake is chasing 1 car when you could have been chasing 3:

 

Have you considered keeping the same course but hiring help?

 

I find shopping to be fun and easy, but the processing and what-not takes my time away from my studies.  Just hired my first helper, and last week was able to more than double my regular output in half the time.  Thanksgiving artificially distorts sales but I had my best one-day sales ever after successfully completing two back to back graduate term tests (in math).  Couldn't have done that without help.  With proper scheduling, I plan on moving 3x what I have before (removing the hoarder element of overflowing stock) in about half the time.

 

On average, every $15/h I spend on help  translates into an additional $100 in revenue.  Sadly, this is better pay than a highly-skilled machinist which in a non-union shop starts at about $14/h.  But this is with Philly's shops which aren't that great, I hit a couple stores every day.  Unless you plan on starting a brick-and-mortar store, your empire can easily expand from your dorm room without you ever leaving school and give you more free time, as long as you don't have to go out of your way to feed the beast you've created.

post #55266 of 113190

HOW DID I DO?

 

 

Hey friends,

 

I went thrifting yesterday and picked up Hickey Freeman jacket for $5. The tag on the inside is a silverish- gray, that says Hickey Freeman/ Nordstrom. It doesn't say that it was made expressly for Nordstrom. The label says that it is a Madison. The material is 100% wool, and it says 'Tasmanian Super 130's made just for Hickey Freeman'. 

 

It doesn't quite fit me, but I thought for 5 bucks I had to pick it up. I could sell it or give it to someone in my family if it fits them. 

 

So the question is, how did I do?

post #55267 of 113190

Pics.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL Beasley View Post

HOW DID I DO?

 

 

Hey friends,

 

I went thrifting yesterday and picked up Hickey Freeman jacket for $5. The tag on the inside is a silverish- gray, that says Hickey Freeman/ Nordstrom. It doesn't say that it was made expressly for Nordstrom. The label says that it is a Madison. The material is 100% wool, and it says 'Tasmanian Super 130's made just for Hickey Freeman'. 

 

It doesn't quite fit me, but I thought for 5 bucks I had to pick it up. I could sell it or give it to someone in my family if it fits them. 

 

So the question is, how did I do?

post #55268 of 113190

Anyone a 9.5 B? I found some florsheim v cleat unmarked shell wingtips at a reasonable BIN that you could probably make a little more reasonable with minimal effort.

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-Mens-Florsheim-Brand-Dress-Shoes-sz-9-5B-used-/380437572928?pt=US_Mens_Vintage_Shoes&hash=item5893d8ad40

post #55269 of 113190
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubs View Post

Avirex Bomber for Catside

 

700

 

700

 

BB for me. I was going back and forth on the color. Would you guys wear this color? I wish it was more tan, but decided to get it because it was $10 and I don't find much that fits me right. 

 

 

     I'd wear it.  What size is it?

post #55270 of 113190
Anyone want me to pick up a 42R polo linen SC for $25+ tax? Nice cream/light tan color. Send me a pm. Also, I can get a 36s boss lambs wool tweed. Shoulders must be under 17 bc it's a little tight on me. GW fashion focus for $40+tax
post #55271 of 113190
Quote:
Originally Posted by acosbysweater View Post

 

Wow, is that standard issue for insulated, indoor shoots?  I thought it was some sort of waterproof dive enclosure.  Had no idea there was such a thing to muffle sound.  I'm assuming it's to eliminate the sound of your camera, but if you're shooting video (as on the sound city site), there is no shutter sound. dozingoff.gif


It's actually made by a company that makes dive enclosures, so it's not too far from that. It's to eliminate the sound of still photographs (stills) being taken, not video. That way the sound guy won't pick up the sound. So for example, the previous owner of the blimp was probably sitting to the side of the guy filming it, shooting pictures.

post #55272 of 113190
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubs View Post

Anyone want me to pick up a 42R polo linen SC for $25+ tax? Nice cream/light tan color. Send me a pm. Also, I can get a 36s boss lambs wool tweed. Shoulders must be under 17 bc it's a little tight on me. GW fashion focus for $40+tax

Polo made in USA or Italy? If Italy, DIBS

post #55273 of 113190

Here are last weeks finds after dry cleaning. Modeling edition! lol

I apologize about the dirty mirror, didnt realize it until after pics.

 

 

NWT Eddie Bauer Down jacket came with matching down gloves. Keeping

700

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

700

 

 

 

 

 

Rag & Bone unscructured Blazer in size 44 fits like a slim 42ish, wish it fit but its too big even when wearing a sweater so AVAILABLE

700

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

post #55274 of 113190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomore View Post

Here are last weeks finds after dry cleaning. Modeling edition! lol
I apologize about the dirty mirror, didnt realize it until after pics. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

NWT Eddie Bauer Down jacket came with matching down gloves. Keeping



Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)





Rag & Bone unscructured Blazer in size 44 fits like a slim 42ish, wish it fit but its too big even when wearing a sweater so AVAILABLE


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)









Do you have a brother who's an alcoholic Baltimore cop named McNulty?
post #55275 of 113190
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post


Do you have a brother who's an alcoholic Baltimore cop named McNulty?

I don't, but that would of made for an interesting story I bet.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread