or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 3652

post #54766 of 117933
This may be my grail find, not your typical leather jacket.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Dammit..another conundrum! Pretty damn sure I can make bank on this but it fits perfect!
post #54767 of 117933
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnutpug View Post


I didn't say perfect--I have never written anything that was perfect, nor has anyone else save Shakespeare, Mark Twain and Truman Capote--I said publishable. Which is to say, arranged (stacked) properly with no factual errors. Think double ax murder or earthquake or anti-war protests on eve of Desert Storm at deadline--it ain't gonna sing, but it will tell you what you need to know. As for King, he's prolific and spins a great yarn. As a writer, and not to sound jealous, meh. When he's at Point A, he knows where Point B is and how to get there and, most importantly for his genre, whether he can get there on the express lane or whether he needs to take his time and really write. And when he needs to write, lordy, he really can do it. It's been awhile since I read his stuff, but I recall it being like hopscotch, jumping from one great vignette to another with a bunch of scribbling in between. Capote, on the other hand, is, was, a craftsman through and through. You read In Cold Blood and every freaking word is perfect. I was late to David Foster Wallace and have read only part of his last, unfinished, novel, The Pale King, but that's also great writing. Plot wise, it drags, but you don't mind because the writing is just so jaw-droppingly good. That guy could write about drying paint and keep you mesmerized.


Huge DFW fan. What a pity. I've read most everything he's written. You really must read infinite jest.

post #54768 of 117933

This was really helpful, thank you.  I was having so much difficulty determining which laws were the ones that matter, and BAM, here you are to clarify and simplify it for me with such grace and precision.  

 

Forever in your debt. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnutpug View Post


Oh, I have been in plenty of situations where I needed a good lawyer, and thank God, I had one. My point is, was, there is a surplus of lawyers, a lot of whom can't make livings practicing law that matters.. An auto mechanic who can't fix a car is SOL, as is a plumber who can't fix a leak. A lawyer who can't win acquittals or convictions or judgments for clients becomes an administrative law judge or a traffic-law specialist or a widget in the maw of government reviewing statutes for some committee of the state legislature. When you're in jail for no good reason, that's when you need a lawyer. When your kid dies because some asshole poisoned peanut butter, that's when you need a lawyer. When the mayor needs some ass-wipe attorney to render a specious opinion to serve as cover for a political decision? That's when you need a journalist.
post #54769 of 117933
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLjon View Post

I am not a tech whiz. I was simply saying that this guy is less qualified to run a magazine — you know, not just writing and reporting, which is what you're talking about — than I am. I was also pointing out that it's ridiculous that I can make $24,000 less for the same job simply because I am not 40.

I hope I've been reading your posts and your responses on this board the wrong way. It's easy to give hastily written writing on a message board a condescending tone when that was not the original intent. I wrote a longer response, but I deleted it because I realize that it's insane to get offended or bent out of shape about your response to my pissing and moaning.

Not sure what kind of magazine you're talking about. If it's a fashion magazine or a guitar magazine or a magazine about stuffed animals, then journalism chops wouldn't matter. OTOH, if the magazine is about consequential matters, then, yes, journalism chops count. As for "just writing and reporting," try running a magazine, even one about stuffed animals, when your contributors can neither write nor report. Writing and reporting is harder than it might look, and anyone who has run a publication of any quality can attest to the panic and rage that breaks out when alleged journalists file schlop, which happens regularly.

Any rate, something seems weird here. Why would a publication practice reverse age discrimination? That's going against the grain. I'm just saying.
post #54770 of 117933
Quote:
Originally Posted by catside View Post

I found three Arcteryx pieces last week. Meh! What you found -the Saville Row stuff: WOW! PM me when you put them on eBay, want to follow.

Will do. Though, it won't be very exciting. I plan on doing BINOBO; my last SR auction didn't go as planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataku View Post


That's a WWII era army dress uniform jacket. Check the waist flap pockets, there should be a size and date label inside.
You've got one helluva haul there. Charvet PJs and multiple Savile Row pieces?! bounce2.gif


I had a feeling it was WWII, but hotdiggitydamn, you're right about the tag. Marked November 10, 1942. Thanks for the info! smile.gif
post #54771 of 117933
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnutpug View Post


Oh, I have been in plenty of situations where I needed a good lawyer, and thank God, I had one. My point is, was, there is a surplus of lawyers, a lot of whom can't make livings practicing law that matters.. An auto mechanic who can't fix a car is SOL, as is a plumber who can't fix a leak. A lawyer who can't win acquittals or convictions or judgments for clients becomes an administrative law judge or a traffic-law specialist or a widget in the maw of government reviewing statutes for some committee of the state legislature. When you're in jail for no good reason, that's when you need a lawyer. When your kid dies because some asshole poisoned peanut butter, that's when you need a lawyer. When the mayor needs some ass-wipe attorney to render a specious opinion to serve as cover for a political decision? That's when you need a journalist.

 

I would rather not turn this into the last off-topic thread discussion I was involved in, but that was not your point. You generalized all lawyers by saying, "We'd all be better off with...fewer crafty lawyers." Your point wasn't to state the status of legal jobs, but rather to degrade the profession.

 

I love that you found a way in the reply to spin the post to degrading the profession again (hating on ALJ's...seriously?) and then ending it in perfect egotistical fashion. Bravo. clapping-smiley.gif

post #54772 of 117933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan954 View Post

I would rather not turn this into the last off-topic thread discussion I was involved in, but that was not your point. You generalized all lawyers by saying, "We'd all be better off with...fewer crafty lawyers." Your point wasn't to state the status of legal jobs, but rather to degrade the profession.

I love that you found a way in the reply to spin the post to degrading the profession again (hating on ALJ's...seriously?) and then ending it in perfect egotistical fashion. Bravo. clapping-smiley.gif

Oh, get over yourself. A bit defensive, methinks.
post #54773 of 117933
What is reverse discrimination?
post #54774 of 117933
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroFan View Post

You've already covered young tech-savvy journalists and lawyers...you should do veterinarians or Catholics for the internet toughguy offensive hat trick of the evening. 

Are you a Catholic veterinarian or something?
post #54775 of 117933
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnutpug View Post


Oh, get over yourself. A bit defensive, methinks.


Not at all. All in good fun.

post #54776 of 117933

You do recall what started this off-topic discussion, right?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnutpug View Post


Oh, get over yourself. A bit defensive, methinks.
post #54777 of 117933
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLSI View Post

What is reverse discrimination?

Age discrimination is actionable. Which is to say, if a company discriminates on the basis of age, it can be sued. Such lawsuits, virtually always, are brought by older folks who allege they were fired/laid off because of their age while younger folks were kept on the payroll or even hired fresh. Almost never are such lawsuits brought by younger folks alleging that older workers got the gravy. Not hard to see why: By virtue of seniority, older workers make more money than younger workers, and so there is an incentive for companies to target older workers in an effort to cut costs.

That's what I mean by reverse discrimination. It is difficult to imagine that a company would discriminate in favor of younger workers.
post #54778 of 117933
^^ seriously, you can stop now.^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie View Post

This may be my grail find, not your typical leather jacket. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Dammit..another conundrum! Pretty damn sure I can make bank on this but it fits perfect!

Can't tell if joking or not.
post #54779 of 117933
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroFan View Post

You do recall what started this off-topic discussion, right?

Yeah. It was some guy who lost his job who complained that older workers get more money for less work. You seem a bit passive aggressive here.
post #54780 of 117933

Seen a few heads mention lately that theyre going through a dry spell (thrifting-wise)

I myself have had shitty luck at places that I normally ravage and take home at least 1 grail find.

Whats the deal?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread