or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 3604

post #54046 of 112332
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

+1, the recent crap does ok...sort of a conservative skeet blanket. It is sad, but the name carries the value to the unknowing buyers.

Thrifting story:

I was in one of the local SA this week, looking through the SC for cool tweeds. This couple walked past me browsing.
The woman grabbed a jacket and said "Oh my God!...look at this honey!"
I was thinking to myself, "Damn, what did I just miss out on?"
The woman continued, "Look it's an Evan Picone! For only $10, Can you believe it? Ten Dollars!"
The bought it....lol

Funny stuff! I don't know Evan Picone, but I'd assume it's utter crap biggrin.gif

While we're story telling....

I was walking down the sidewalk this afternoon and an old woman (had to have been in her 80s) was walking towards me when she fell, face first. It was unbelievably painful to watch and I, along with a girl nearby, ran to her to help her. The lady was a bit embarrassed and said she was fine, but she had a hard time getting back up on her feet. I ask if she's sure that she's okay and she says "Oh yes!" and then I see blood coming from her lip and nose. I said "Well maybe you should see a doctor, you are bleeding." She goes "Blood?" and the girl said "yes, on your nose," and then her nose really started bleeding.

The only thing I had was my pocket square, white cotton and nothing expensive. I gave it to her to hold against her nose until she could go into a shop to the bathroom. She said "oh, you young people are so nice and that is such an elegant coat." happy.gificon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Anyway, I hope she was fine but I was furious at the worthless street vendor selling magazines that was arms length from her while she fell and was on the ground. All he did was stand there and watch, not even offered to help her. We glared at one another the entire time.
post #54047 of 112332
Evan Picone is like Etienne Aigner - it was the stuff the cool teenagers in the 70s wore.
Now, it's a subsidiary of Jones & Co, and is made out of cheap polyester, with cheap polyester linings, sometimes with "heritage" cuts.
However, like the Capt discovered, there is a (very small) nostalgia market.


Actually, I used to class MCM in the same market (purchased by people nostalgic for the hip-hop scene in the 80s) but apparently there are people who buy and wear it for retail?!
post #54048 of 112332
Stuff I am looking for:
11 and 11.5 extra narrow and narrow shoes and boots.
Mechanical and automatic Timex watches
Slim Medium Tall coats
Made in USA Vans size 11.5 (any condition)

Pm me if you have anything I might need.
post #54049 of 112332
Found some nice ties today, but I don't know how to describe the fabrics. Two have a very textured weave, but I don't think they are grenadine or anything like that. The last I think might be raw silk, but I'm hoping someone might be able to identify it more surely. (Brands: Polo, Roundtree & York, and some New Orleans label (made in Italy))



post #54050 of 112332
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceOfBoh View Post

Man, that guy needs a hobby.
Oh wait, it appears he has one. Talk about a labour of love.

Yeah seriously I guess after awhile we all get into our own niche after so much time searching for clothes.

As to whether or not its flippable, I don't know. I've found the "true" vintage BR before but I wound up giving it to friends and family, I'm probably going to hold onto the parka as its just too weird to let go of.

The euro trash quote is from Put this on, I'm not that witty.
post #54051 of 112332

Great finds lately, guys. Finally ran into a nice collection of items. FIrst, my favorite find (keeping):

 

Nantucket Reds from Murray's Toggery Shop (Size 34 - Mine):

 

700

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

700

 

700

 

 

I know this isn't like finding a pair of Kiton, but these rarely make their way to the west coast. I actually have a wedding to attend in Nantucket next summer and these will definitely be making the trip with me.

 

Ties, etc.:

 

Armani, Ricci x2, Barbera

 

700

 

BBx2, Ferragamo, Zegna

700

 

Brioni x2 (keeping the brown one on the right), Aquascutum (keeping), YSL Rive Gauche

700

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

700

 

Older, but good, right?

 

Pocket Squares/Scarves - Unbranded Made in England, Unbranded Linen, Older Lanvin

 

700

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

700

 

Any ideas?

 

No Name, No Name, BB

700

 

Dooney & Bourke Made in England

700

 

Shirts:

 

T&A x 5, Borrelli

 

700

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

All are 16.5 and button-cuff (three button in the case of the T&As), except for the first Ecru T&A which is a 17 FC.

 

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

 

Jeans:

 

Edwin "LA Slim" Fit White Jeans (31x32)

 

700

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

700

 

700

 

 

Coat:

 

PRL Made in Italy Tan/Brown Houndstooth Super Soft Wool/Cashmere Blend (EU 56)

 

700

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

 

Suits:

 

Navy Herringbone Tonal Stripe BB w/ Loro Piana (40 Long)

 

700

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

 

Chester Barrie for Carroll & Co. Charcoal Flannel w/ Flat Front Pants (43)

 

700

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

 

Other than the Reds and the two ties mentioned above, everything is available.

post #54052 of 112332
Found a couple of the nicest Brioni shirts I have ever seen. Thick MOP buttons and hand sewn button holes. Also have very nice cut away collars. Ive always seen the Brioni shirts with fugly collars and lack luster sewing etc. These must be MTM or came from Europe. $5.00 for the pair @ Goodwill. Passed on two Corneliani SC's that were likely early 2000's.
post #54053 of 112332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton Dockers View Post

Great finds lately, guys. Finally ran into a nice collection of items. FIrst, my favorite find (keeping):
Other than the Reds and the two ties mentioned above, everything is available.
Lots of nice stuff in there. Resisting those shirts, but don't think I can resist that linen square. Or maybe that Barrie....
Quote:
Originally Posted by antirabbit View Post

Found a couple of the nicest Brioni shirts I have ever seen. Thick MOP buttons and hand sewn button holes. Also have very nice cut away collars. Ive always seen the Brioni shirts with fugly collars and lack luster sewing etc. These must be MTM or came from Europe. $5.00 for the pair @ Goodwill. Passed on two Corneliani SC's that were likely early 2000's.
Wow! Nicely done. All the GWs around me have radar for the Brioni name and mark them through the roof.
post #54054 of 112332
Quote:
Originally Posted by deveandepot1 View Post

Stuff I am looking for:
11 and 11.5 extra narrow and narrow shoes and boots.
Mechanical and automatic Timex watches
Slim Medium Tall coats
Made in USA Vans size 11.5 (any condition)
Pm me if you have anything I might need.


pm me if you want, but i guess others might want to see this find. yesterday. vintage TIMEX indiglo.

700

not mechanical, but this is still a nice watch for wearing daily.

post #54055 of 112332
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMcL View Post

Lots of nice stuff in there. Resisting those shirts, but don't think I can resist that linen square. Or maybe that Barrie....
Wow! Nicely done. All the GWs around me have radar for the Brioni name and mark them through the roof.

Hands off that CB. Especially if its flannel-like. Hehe:)
post #54056 of 112332
Had a real good day this morning. Spoils include an Alan Paine Lambswool, A whole grip of Thomas Pink Shirts and my first ever T&A. Pics and details to follow later. In the meantime, does anyone recognize this maker tag? Only other tag was a Made in Canada/Fait en Canada tag on the collar. Really nice soft wool plaid unstructured sportcoat.


Also left behind a Carroll Reed Sack Sportcoat with Loden fabric because the lining was pretty damaged, mistake?
post #54057 of 112332
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post


Funny stuff! I don't know Evan Picone, but I'd assume it's utter crap biggrin.gif
While we're story telling....
I was walking down the sidewalk this afternoon and an old woman (had to have been in her 80s) was walking towards me when she fell, face first. It was unbelievably painful to watch and I, along with a girl nearby, ran to her to help her. The lady was a bit embarrassed and said she was fine, but she had a hard time getting back up on her feet. I ask if she's sure that she's okay and she says "Oh yes!" and then I see blood coming from her lip and nose. I said "Well maybe you should see a doctor, you are bleeding." She goes "Blood?" and the girl said "yes, on your nose," and then her nose really started bleeding.
The only thing I had was my pocket square, white cotton and nothing expensive. I gave it to her to hold against her nose until she could go into a shop to the bathroom. She said "oh, you young people are so nice and that is such an elegant coat." happy.gificon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Anyway, I hope she was fine but I furious at the worthless street vendor selling magazines that was arms length from her while she fell and was on the ground. All he did was stand there and watch, not even offered to help her. We glared at one another the entire time.

 

OMG! Did you get blood on your coat???!!! No, seriously, did you guys called the ambulance?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton Dockers View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

700

 

Older, but good, right?

 


T&A x 5, Borrelli

 

700

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

All are 16.5 and button-cuff (three button in the case of the T&As), except for the first Ecru T&A which is a 17 FC.

 

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

 

Jeans:

 

Edwin "LA Slim" Fit White Jeans (31x32)

 

700

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

700

 

700

 

 

Chester Barrie for Carroll & Co. Charcoal Flannel w/ Flat Front Pants (43)

 

700

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

 

Other than the Reds and the two ties mentioned above, everything is available.

 

Yes, that's an older YSL Rive Gauche you are looking for aka the good kind. I remember it got the Spoo nod of approval.

 

OMG those TnA and that Luigi Borrelli are sure Ebay $$$.

 

I bought a pair of Edwin jeans like those a few weeks ago. I think they should do ok on Ebay.

 

OMG! that CB is the tits!!!

post #54058 of 112332
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelntrigger View Post
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post


Funny stuff! I don't know Evan Picone, but I'd assume it's utter crap biggrin.gif
While we're story telling....
I was walking down the sidewalk this afternoon and an old woman (had to have been in her 80s) was walking towards me when she fell, face first. It was unbelievably painful to watch and I, along with a girl nearby, ran to her to help her. The lady was a bit embarrassed and said she was fine, but she had a hard time getting back up on her feet. I ask if she's sure that she's okay and she says "Oh yes!" and then I see blood coming from her lip and nose. I said "Well maybe you should see a doctor, you are bleeding." She goes "Blood?" and the girl said "yes, on your nose," and then her nose really started bleeding.
The only thing I had was my pocket square, white cotton and nothing expensive. I gave it to her to hold against her nose until she could go into a shop to the bathroom. She said "oh, you young people are so nice and that is such an elegant coat." happy.gificon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Anyway, I hope she was fine but I furious at the worthless street vendor selling magazines that was arms length from her while she fell and was on the ground. All he did was stand there and watch, not even offered to help her. We glared at one another the entire time.

 

OMG! Did you get blood on your coat???!!! No, seriously, did you guys called the ambulance?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton Dockers View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

700

 

Older, but good, right?

 


T&A x 5, Borrelli

 

700

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

All are 16.5 and button-cuff (three button in the case of the T&As), except for the first Ecru T&A which is a 17 FC.

 

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

 

Jeans:

 

Edwin "LA Slim" Fit White Jeans (31x32)

 

700

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

700

 

700

 

 

Chester Barrie for Carroll & Co. Charcoal Flannel w/ Flat Front Pants (43)

 

700

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

 

Other than the Reds and the two ties mentioned above, everything is available.

 

Yes, that's an older YSL Rive Gauche you are looking for aka the good kind. I remember it got the Spoo nod of approval.

 

OMG those TnA and that Luigi Borrelli are sure Ebay $$$.

 

I bought a pair of Edwin jeans like those a few weeks ago. I think they should do ok on Ebay.

 

OMG! that CB is the tits!!!

omg...omg.. OMG... OMG... OMG...OMG..

 

crackup[1].gif

post #54059 of 112332
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelntrigger View Post

OMG! Did you get blood on your coat???!!! No, seriously, did you guys called the ambulance?

No worries, no blood on the coat! She went into the shop to use the bathroom, but an ambulance happened to be nearby so I quickly explained what happened and where she was. They were walking into the shop as I left. Absolutely BRUTAL to see an old woman hit the pavement!
post #54060 of 112332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken P View Post

Had a real good day this morning. Spoils include an Alan Paine Lambswool, A whole grip of Thomas Pink Shirts and my first ever T&A. Pics and details to follow later. In the meantime, does anyone recognize this maker tag? Only other tag was a Made in Canada/Fait en Canada tag on the collar. Really nice soft wool plaid unstructured sportcoat. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Also left behind a Carroll Reed Sack Sportcoat with Loden fabric because the lining was pretty damaged, mistake?

I think that's Samuelsohn. Best of the Canadian makers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread