Well the exposure is different in those pics but I'd say white. Tonal range just pops better, doesn't (to the viewer's eye) appear to be as contrasty when presented on the white background.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0, Paul Harnden, Taichi Murakami,... Last post on Today at 7:45 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- The Editorial thread Last post on 4/25/16 at 7:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread) Last post on 8/20/16 at 4:04am in Streetwear and Denim
- The official list of online stores Last post on Today at 8:15 am in Streetwear and Denim
- Summer sales 2016 - All the stuff that's fit to buy - codes, updates, etc... Last post on 7/1/16 at 12:12am in Streetwear and Denim
The Styleforum Holiday sales guide - 2015
Last edited: 12/26/15
- Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales ListLast edited: 12/1/15
- How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200Last edited: 11/24/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 3567post #53491 of 13872811/12/12 at 10:52pmpost #53492 of 13872811/12/12 at 11:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by Ian Erickson
not to interrupt the wonderful debate going on here but I need feedback on this asap as it pertains to something that is due in the morning (goodness gracious am I so dependent on this thread that I go to it for advice on homework ) let me put it this way if you were in a goodwill and were forced had to buy artwork that is some way represents religion in a modern sense and these were the only two there and you choose which one to buy on the backing alone (black or white) which one would it be?
I would go with the one with the black background. It feels more oppressive.Quote:Originally Posted by acosbysweater
Word, lots of stupid and unfounded statements floating around here with regards to SW&D. Gap "selvage" would maybe qualify for this statement.
45RPM, Sugar Cane, Mister Freedom, Flat Head, Kapital, Warehouse, Fullcount, Pure Blue Japan are all good places to start if you want the purest, slubbiest, hand dyed product.
But denim is an old fashioned, irregularly woven twill fabric. Just buy straight Visvim trousers if you want to make people bust a nut.
Goddamn! Those things are like $600 a pop!post #53493 of 13872811/13/12 at 12:21amQuote:
Have you looked at Paul Smith jeans? mine are TITS!!!
here's a link.- http://www.paulsmith.co.uk/au-en/shop/mens/jeans
quality is good too.
Edited by size 38R - 11/13/12 at 12:38ampost #53494 of 13872811/13/12 at 2:23am
It was the glitter sale this weekend. In classic Somethingsfishy style, I've done it big. BRB sacrificing a cashmere goat to the thrift gods.
Loro Piana (not loro piana for________, Loro Piana) trousers. Got home and found out there was a stain on them :( but it's barely visible, so one of my friends (who they fit) was more than happy to wear them. Good to know that they aren't going to waste.
Barneys NY cashmere sweater in white, pretty sure it is brand new. Its the first sweater I've ever had that fits me! Plus I can tell the sweater is decent quality, unlike these J-Crew and BR ones I'm used to seeing half-dead. The actual weave of the wool is MUCH denser on this thing. I love it :)
Lots of stuff. Goodwill jacked up their prices really hard because they were selling their best stuff, and some of it they got right. But I wasn't going to give them 130 dollars, even for a BB made in italy suit.
Stained Borrelli tie :(
Ferragamo A-grade balmorals, NWT. They were a really huge size (like 13.5) and goodwill wanted 160 I think. Fuckkk its a goodwill for christs sake!
Now to the really cool stuff. ALL AVAILABLE.
Canali suit jacket in 54 (42) L. Found it with the pants, but they were dead. Someone tried to press them and failed miserably- burnt them at the knee :/ The jacket itself is literally perfect though :)
Vintage USN coat by Pembroke, fits about a size M- marked 37R for some weird reason. Hilariously thick and strong fabric. It literally weighs about ten pounds.
BB coat in L that's more or less NWOT
Ferragamo Balmoral wingtips in size 12D
Gianni Versace tie
Unbelievably gorgeous Canali (who makes them?) shoes in 12D. Pictures don't even come CLOSE. So pretty that the moment I find a pair in my size on ebay I'm kopping them for me. Shout out to the SF member (I'm sure you were!) who complimented them in my cart!
Edited by SomethingsFishy - 11/13/12 at 2:37ampost #53495 of 13872811/13/12 at 3:21amGrabbed a few things at lunch, nothing like what I've seen the past couple of days though!
Profuomo tie. Really it's just a generic type of made in Italy tie that I pass on a regular basis, but this one is well-made, a maroon/burgundy color and features a golf print. I know there are golfers here or I thought maybe someone's boss golfs. I don't know, I will send it to you cheap (cost + shipping).
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)post #53496 of 13872811/13/12 at 4:14ampost #53497 of 13872811/13/12 at 4:48ampost #53498 of 13872811/13/12 at 5:01amI have no affiliation to this ebay listing other than I wish the jacket was my size.
Here's a PSA to all you size large guys who want Willis & Geiger and have access to a needle and thread to secure the buttons.
4 days left. (Nov 17, 2012 07:29:58 PST)
Zero bids and it starts at $10
EBay: Willis & Geiger Men's Coat RN #71270 Size Large Lpost #53499 of 13872811/13/12 at 5:29ampost #53500 of 13872811/13/12 at 5:31ampost #53501 of 13872811/13/12 at 5:53amQuote:
these are nice.post #53502 of 13872811/13/12 at 6:15am
A few more things from Friday....more to come.
But first...it's "Tweed Time" again
Tan Glen Plaid Tweed - 36S SOLD
Gant Gray Nailhead Tweed 42S/42R
Gray Check Tweed, Suede Elbow 40S
NWT Local Tailor Tweed Glen Plaid 39R 40R
HSM Gold Trumpeter SC 50L
Crazy Herringbone Norfolk Jacket 42R
Orvis Tweed - 48R
Pendleton Glen Plaid Tweed - 46R
Pendleton Wool Silk Houndstooth 46R
Edited by capnwes - 11/13/12 at 12:38pmpost #53503 of 13872811/13/12 at 6:21amQuote:Originally Posted by 330CK
Ah, you got on that train, too? I picked up 5+ pairs of RRL jeans at marshalls and tjmaxx a few years ago for like $35/pair. It was insane. More recently from Marshall's I picked up a pair of Rag & Bone selvage from their made in USA stuff. I love those, but I'm currently too chubby to fit in them.
The Jean Shops were the regular cut. They had one 32 (must be vanity sized because they were too big for me), but most were in the 34-38 range. A few weren't selvage, though.
I need to start checking the jean racks a little closer. Uniqlo's made in Japan raw selvage have been my introduction but I'm ready to move up a little on jeans.
On another note who here thrifting a Paul Smith made in Italy shirt in their size over the weekend, washed it last night and put it on this morning only to realize it was missing two front buttons? Oh yeah, me Anyone got any spare Paul Smith London branded buttons?post #53504 of 13872811/13/12 at 6:53am
What's the consensus on Pendleton shirts? The local Savers has a bunch priced at $30 but it was a half off day... I passed except for a shirt/sportcoat thing... pretty crazy really. Was I wrong to grab it?Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Also found a recent red Womens Marmot Tamarack jacket in Medium... a little big on the GF so it might be available.post #53505 of 13872811/13/12 at 7:44amQuote:Originally Posted by MZhammer
What's the consensus on Pendleton shirts? The local Savers has a bunch priced at $30 but it was a half off day... I passed except for a shirt/sportcoat thing... pretty crazy really. Was I wrong to grab it? Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Also found a recent red Womens Marmot Tamarack jacket in Medium... a little big on the GF so it might be available.
Great score for $15--I love those Pendleton shirt/jackets. Fifteen bucks for Pendleton shirts is also a good deal so long as they are for you. Not much flip margin, though.
This thread is locked
- The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
- Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › Best Eames Lounge Chair Reproduction 6 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 10 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 18 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 23 minutes ago
- › Shoe feels different from foot to foot? 26 minutes ago
- › 2 pairs of Brand New Carmina & 1 Vass Shell Cordovan (UK7/EU41) 31 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 35 minutes ago
- › Eames Lounge Chair copies... worth it? 35 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 46 minutes ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 48 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding