or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 3530

post #52936 of 115042

whew! Finally caught up with the thread after DAYS of trying here and there.

 

Awesome finds on the Lobb and multiple Kiton as well as some Sartoria Partenopia for the first time I can remember!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post

Anyway, I've had a long week at work and it isn't going to let up until after Christmas. I didn't bring anything home tonight, but they're already building the Christmas market and they put the tree up in the city center. I think they'll have the opening festival soon and it's only November!
Here are a few quick pictures of the undecorated tree and some ornaments in a shop window. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


 

I was in Belgium around Christmas time a few years ago and loved it. It seems like Europe is much more communal than the US around the holidays with big gatherings in the squares. I got pretty warm on spiced wine. Damn, now I want to travel... 

post #52937 of 115042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klobber View Post


Liverpool, know the city well. Derogatory term for Liverpudlians is scouser! Never knew what scouser really meant puzzled.gif ! My ID Klobber is a slight alteration on a Liverpool term called "Clobber". Clobber is slang for high end clothing. Not many folks outside of Britain get my user name ID and would associate Klobber with a club a caveman would use laugh.gif
Me, I lived in Kent (a county East of London) most my life - in particular a small town called Whitstable right along the coast. Also lived near Dover and Canterbury (a historic city). Tried living in London but too pricey and noisy - no thanks. I did work in London though and my commute was around 60 miles a day. Used to take a train due to problems finding parking in London. After about the 10th ticket, I said enough is enough and my car stayed at home! I also lived in South Africa for a few years and my accent is a diluted hybrid of British and South African. I am slowly developing some Americanisms in my accent. I have lost a lot of the "edge" to my accent.
I know your neck of the woods well when I drove through once on a European road trip. Beautiful country, I was quite taken aback by how nice Southern Germany and Austria were. My profession is academic and it would be a tough gig to learn the language. I tried learning German before but it is real tough - particularly the grammar. At one point my wife and I were discussing moving out that way or France but decided on the States. As Churchill said "USA and England are two countries separated by a common language". We speak the same but pronounce some words different - i.e. I still have to get my head around the way folks here say "Aluminium" or "Pecan". lol8[1].gif

Nice to see someone else from "The Garden of England" sarcasm.gif!  I'm also looking at moving out to the states in the coming years but hopefully i'll be able to hold on to my accent!  I do enjoy some of the idiosyncrasies like "waaderrr" and girls in general are so much more open and approachable.

post #52938 of 115042
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post

It sounds like you've made quite the tour of the English speaking world! I have to say that South African English is my favorite accent. It's such an interesting mix. My wife lived in Kent for a little while as well, specifically Dartford. Ironically enough, we considered a move to England. We never made the move, but it always sits in the back of our minds. We also considered moving to Malta, but we may save that for a retirement home in, oh, 40 years.
I've heard the horror stories of driving in London and attempting to park. I think they now have a daily fee of around £15 or £20 for incoming cars, but I could be wrong. I love visiting London, but it's never a city that I could stay. It's like so many major cities though, I prefer the cost of living of a medium-sized city. I would sincerely be interested to move somewhere within the UK, even somewhere within Northern Ireland, but as time moves on I am more interested in buying a house and it would be easier doing that here rather than starting over. Only time will tell.
Our universities have been slow to catch up to others in Europe in offering complete programs in English. In my city, there are some master's programs and PhDs, but very limited in bachelor programs that are taught in English. A few are available in other cities including Vienna. Our local universities have long-term plans to offer programs taught in English and they're getting them started now.
Re: aluminum, how about glacier?! biggrin.gif

Yeah South Africa - very interesting and attractive country. My family could not stay there long though - we were burgled like 3 times and the crime there is beyond bad. Nice country though, if the crime rate goes to 10% current, I would consider moving there. Great beaches, food and weather. However, I would not be happy going to work knowing there is actually a real statistical chance that my wife could be mugged or raped inside her own home. My Grandmother was raped - astonishing but true. She immigrated down there and the police found her tied up in a closet. Only can happen in South Africa IMO. Absolutely astonishing and sad!

I have one good question for you: How did you become so excellent at English? Seriously, you have superlative English and grammar skills, better than mine in fact and I am a native speaker lol8[1].gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-r8 View Post

Nice to see someone else from "The Garden of England" sarcasm.gif !  I'm also looking at moving out to the states in the coming years but hopefully i'll be able to hold on to my accent!  I do enjoy some of the idiosyncrasies like "waaderrr" and girls in general are so much more open and approachable.

Kent - yeah Garden of England is funny. Anybody that went to Chatham, Dover, Dartford, etc, I do not think Garden is the appropriate term LOL.
post #52939 of 115042
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZhammer View Post

This reminds me of something I heard at Unique the other day... Two older guys were looking through the coats

Guy 1: Wow (insert generic name here), look at this
Guy 2: What's that?
Guy 1: This is London Fog, this is really high end stuff
Guy 2: look here's another one!
Guy 1: Some rich guy musta given these away, go grab a cart will ya?

After which they proceeded to fill a cart with about 10 old London Fog trench coats... Gotta love new flippers

rotflmao.gif

Haha, at least we have these guys to clear the junk off the racks for us!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocooney View Post

Hit two stores at lunch.
First had nothing, found these at the 2nd:

Nice finds!!
post #52940 of 115042
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel View Post

I was in Belgium around Christmas time a few years ago and loved it. It seems like Europe is much more communal than the US around the holidays with big gatherings in the squares. I got pretty warm on spiced wine. Damn, now I want to travel... 

I've wondered where you've been, you've been light on the posts lately! Christmas and Advent is big here and mulled wine is the big drink. The city center is packed most evenings with people standing around getting pissed. I usually take some of my classes out for a round for an evening before Christmas.

If you're interested in making it over this way, you know how to get in touch! biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klobber View Post

Yeah South Africa - very interesting and attractive country. My family could not stay there long though - we were burgled like 3 times and the crime there is beyond bad. Nice country though, if the crime rate goes to 10% current, I would consider moving there. Great beaches, food and weather. However, I would not be happy going to work knowing there is actually a real statistical chance that my wife could be mugged or raped inside her own home. My Grandmother was raped - astonishing but true. She immigrated down there and the police found her tied up in a closet. Only can happen in South Africa IMO. Absolutely astonishing and sad!
I have one good question for you: How did you become so excellent at English? Seriously, you have superlative English and grammar skills, better than mine in fact and I am a native speaker lol8[1].gif
Kent - yeah Garden of England is funny. Anybody that went to Chatham, Dover, Dartford, etc, I do not think Garden is the appropriate term LOL.

Quite the mystery, eh? smile.gif Well, English is a native language of mine. My nationalities are a bit complicated, but to say the least we have a few passports floating around the house. It's funny though, in German I'll begin a sentence in proper German and finish it in local dialect, or vice versa. People are often confused as to whether I'm Austrian, German, Swiss or Dutch rotflmao.gif. When my wife and I first met, she had learned English in another accent and both of our vocabularies have merged and I now have a hard time knowing whether a saying or phrase is British, American or a Germanism/translation. Example: I heard someone use the word "ghost driver" in English and I had to check to actually see if it's used in that way in English. (it's not, it's Geisterfahrer in German, but in English it's just someone that drives the wrong way on the motorway.).

The crime rate in South Africa is intimidating to even consider. There is a show called Goodbye, Deutschland! that shows Germans moving abroad and their experiences. One German couple moved to South Africa and it showed their armed security guard arrive to stay at the house with the wife while the husband went to work. It's really awful to hear about your grandmother, I can't imagine living with such a fear every day.
post #52941 of 115042

I found these wholecuts today, marked as John Mac Gray. This is pre cleaning, im pretty sure they will clean up nicely. Checked out the nail pattern thread and im pretty sure they are made by Sutor Mantalessi. Could you guys confirm this? :)

 

 

700

 

 

 

Quote:

700

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

post #52942 of 115042
Had a shitty day at work and decided to stop at my usual stop near work:



aack.

Also left a bunch of stuff including a orphaned Zegna jacket marked 64R

edit: holy shit I need to trim my nails
post #52943 of 115042
^^ Wow, didn't catch that RLPL. Ugh, they're getting ridiculous! I was there when those suits came out. There were like 5 recent Zegna orphan jackets that were just trashed. One complete suit but the pants look like they had been through a couple wars. Seriously the worst condition pants I have ever seen in my life. I should have taken pictures. So shiny they look like someone sprayed polyurathane on them and the pocket seams were shreaded and re-sewn multiple times.
post #52944 of 115042
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post

Quite the mystery, eh? smile.gif Well, English is a native language of mine. My nationalities are a bit complicated, but to say the least we have a few passports floating around the house. It's funny though, in German I'll begin a sentence in proper German and finish it in local dialect, or vice versa. People are often confused as to whether I'm Austrian, German, Swiss or Dutch rotflmao.gif. When my wife and I first met, she had learned English in another accent and both of our vocabularies have merged and I now have a hard time knowing whether a saying or phrase is British, American or a Germanism/translation. Example: I heard someone use the word "ghost driver" in English and I had to check to actually see if it's used in that way in English. (it's not, it's Geisterfahrer in German, but in English it's just someone that drives the wrong way on the motorway.).

Where were you born?

If I had to say a nationality for myself, based on Passport, it is British. Depending on how long I intend to stay in America, I may go for nationality here.

Digging in my family background, I have less British ancestry than German. My father is British, his father British and that opens up that line. On that side, I am directly related to Charles Darwin. My father's mother is Dutch. On my mother's side, her parents are descendants from Germany (One grandmother was British, the rest of her family came from Germany). I am more German than British going by ancestry. I am a little sketchy on what constitutes German nationalities however, since a few of my German relatives left Germany before WW2 started to escape persecution. My mother said her grandparents on her father's side were Jewish, while on her mother's side, her grandparents were British and German respectively. Surname on her father's side was Doller while on her mother's side the surname was Muller.
post #52945 of 115042
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZhammer View Post

Ran across these Cole Haans made in England, can anyone give any insight? Worth a cop for a flip? They're size 7-1/2, looks like they might have been made by Church's?

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

cheers.gifHUGE SHOUT OUT!!!!

 

Can't thank you enough for the proxy. For all you guys that wanted them, they are def 100% US 7.5D and are even on the small side of 7.5D. Based on fit, I would have said they were a 7D US as they are just slightly roomy enough for me and I'm not sure anyone here has smaller feet then me.

post #52946 of 115042
Found this weird jacket.

Silver buttons that say Brioni Roma
it's like a de constructed herringbone, and it's not a damaged herringbone since I found this fabric scrap in the pocket with a number tag sewn to it

it's double vented too. fits me perfectly but I have no where to wear it.

also found a George nelson clock one of the ones they sold at ross for $15 at the thrift for $8. but 3 fins are broken missing so im going to DIY every other fin twice the size and display it. thinking that will be cool. IT IS NOT AN ANTIQUE/ REAL ONE IT"S MADE IN CHINA AND USES GEORGE NELSON'S NAME AS A BRAND. KNOCKING OFF THE ORIGNAL MCM DESIGNS

wish I found the howard miller ones!


DSC01552.JPG 1136k .JPG file

DSC01554.JPG 1397k .JPG file

DSC01555.JPG 1434k .JPG file

DSC01556.JPG 1579k .JPG file
DSC01558.JPG 1385k .JPG file
post #52947 of 115042

Those are from Wilkes Bashford--a high end retailer in California. Marshalls sometimes gets their stuff in.

post #52948 of 115042

On the way out the door, put together an outfit I liked and realized it could be a thrift fit, so here goes my first

 

 

 

700

 

Sweater: Margiela - Buffalo Exchange

Shirt: Gitman Vintage - Saks Off 5th

Chinos: RRL - Marshall's

Desert Boots - Aqua (?) - Discount

 

 

All for about $100 bigstar[1].gif

post #52949 of 115042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klobber View Post

Where were you born?
If I had to say a nationality for myself, based on Passport, it is British. Depending on how long I intend to stay in America, I may go for nationality here.
Digging in my family background, I have less British ancestry than German. My father is British, his father British and that opens up that line. On that side, I am directly related to Charles Darwin. My father's mother is Dutch. On my mother's side, her parents are descendants from Germany (One grandmother was British, the rest of her family came from Germany). I am more German than British going by ancestry. I am a little sketchy on what constitutes German nationalities however, since a few of my German relatives left Germany before WW2 started to escape persecution. My mother said her grandparents on her father's side were Jewish, while on her mother's side, her grandparents were British and German respectively. Surname on her father's side was Doller while on her mother's side the surname was Muller.

I was born in Austria.

Your family history sounds as though you have quite the lineage. It wouldn't be a bad thing to be able to say that you have Charles Darwin in your family tree! I don't recall the laws exactly, but those that had to flee or were forced out of Germany (which included Austria at the time) were able to re-acquire citizenship. I'm not sure if that would extend to the living descendants of those people nor am I certain that you'd really want (or need) to take German citizenship, but I thought I'd mention it.

When it comes to citizenship in Austria, it's a very strict matter, one of the hardest nations in the EU. Austria does not allow dual citizenship for either naturalized Austrian citizens nor native-born Austrians to acquire it abroad. A couple of exemptions exist, such as receiving approval from the Austrian government by showing that it is in the best interest of Austria to maintain two citizenships, as in the case of Arnold Schwarzenegger. Another possibility is to be born into two citizenships, which is has only recently been allowed. Previously, unmarried women could not pass on Austrian citizenship. That was changed to allow both men and women, regardless of their marital status, to pass on Austrian citizenship. There are also laws that allow people to "buy" Austrian citizenship legally, or have it given to them as a gift. These are occasionally reported and it's usually someone influential that can help Austria win football matches or Nobel Prizes. Buying it is not an easy feat, as I understand, as it requires a number of obstacles including having piles of money to throw at the country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post

cheers.gifHUGE SHOUT OUT!!!!

Can't thank you enough for the proxy. For all you guys that wanted them, they are def 100% US 7.5D and are even on the small side of 7.5D. Based on fit, I would have said they were a 7D US as they are just slightly roomy enough for me and I'm not sure anyone here has smaller feet then me.

While I'm thrilled that they work for you, I can't help but be a bit jealous! Kidding, enjoy!
post #52950 of 115042

A few things today.  Have not been able to get out regularly this week at all which is making a few trades very difficult.  Shout out to ilikethelights for a great suit. 

 

do you guys grab Jack Victor? found a couple of SC today that seemed to be recent (2b, Dual Vent) in linen/wool/cotton blends..

I got rushed tonight and left a Burberry London Suit (Grey with blue windowpane, 2b, dual vent) gorgeous.  jacket was slightly large on me otherwise I would of grabbed it.  priced @ 74.99 though >,<.

 

nice wedding tie pattern ... probably not going to turn any heads with the brand

700

 

700

 

Ermenengildo Zegna Jeans.  34 waist. Pretty slim cut, made in italy. Available

 

700

 

700

 

Recent(?) BR 40s Suit

 

700

 

700

 

Grabbed a couple recent JAB blazers.  Like the patterns and figured there would be a 40r out there somewhere ... if nothing else my dad.

700

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

700

 

700

 

 

 

700

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

700

 

700

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread