or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 3476

post #52126 of 124862
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebryant View Post

I actually dont like eye candy when im out hunting. Its way too distracting and it drives me insane because I know I cant walk up and spark up a conversation as easily as when im at a bar.
lol, it's easier than at a bar
but maybe it's because i'm 23 and most of the attractive girls i see at stores at like 19-25
if you're both at a thrift store, chances are you have a lot in common
in my experience
we need an article about that
picking up chicks
and a brioni shirt
for five dollars
post #52127 of 124862
Not surprised with eddievddr10 finds - this guy is top brass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainy View Post

lol, it's easier than at a bar
but maybe it's because i'm 23 and most of the attractive girls i see at stores at like 19-25
if you're both at a thrift store, chances are you have a lot in common
in my experience
we need an article about that
picking up chicks
and a brioni shirt
for five dollars

A true gentleman will always let the lady get first dibs on the gear. If she wants to flip that Tom Ford suit, gotta hand it over... lol8[1].gif

On a more serious note, one is possibly more likely to pick up a long term partner in an activity revolving around shared interest away from all the typical night spots. I cannot speak for my chick pulling days in America since I immigrated here a married man, but back in England, it was well known, and well expected that when one pulls a chick at a pub or nightclub, it would be pretty much one night stand material. Very rare for these night related adventures to develop into anything serious. However, daytime activities / work / college, usually best time to hook up with girls that will one day wife.
post #52128 of 124862
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainy View Post

lol, it's easier than at a bar
but maybe it's because i'm 23 and most of the attractive girls i see at stores at like 19-25
if you're both at a thrift store, chances are you have a lot in common
in my experience
we need an article about that
picking up chicks
and a brioni shirt
for five dollars

 

Down that path madness lies...

post #52129 of 124862
And here's the brooch I picked up for my wife's birthday. No shit, literally found it 3 days after she told me to keep an eye out for something similar for her. The one she was looking at was frosted and a pinkish color so I originally didn't grab it. I went back a few days later and it was still there so I bought it. $15, so usually more than I like to spend at a thrift, but very cheap as far as making my wife happy. I thought is probably plastic when I looked at it behind the case, but when I actually had it in my had, it was way heavier than I though it was going to be, leading me to believe it might be legit. I took it down to a jeweler to have it looked at and dude said it was most likely from the turn of the century and hand carved ivory set in 14K gold. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #52130 of 124862

Nice. Did you find these off Craigslist?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievddr10 View Post

got these 2 today for $22 a pop a bit pricey, but hey what the hell biggrin.gif

post #52131 of 124862

-Dustin, what was your conception of me? im curious haha

 

-Handers, the pants are functionally solid, but are a sea foam green/aqua odd type color. I think the pictures do all right at bringing about the actual color. Im not too worried in terms of business, but in terms of color matching with the pants. I was unsure, so went with as conservative accouterments as possible. I think it worked, but would like to rock these more often.

 

“Why do you hate capitalism? Do you really think it is your God-given right to get something for nothing at GW? Now, I do that all the time, and I'm grateful for the chance, but I don't think that GW is under any obligation to sell stuff for a fraction of its worth. You and I and everyone else here profits because we have good taste and we invest the time and energy into figuring out what stuff is worth and combing racks. Very few people are willing to do that. And if GW does screw up and prices stuff at way more than it's worth, guess what? It won't sell. That's what makes America great. Maybe you should shop at the Moscow Goodwill.”

Pnutpug and I have disagreed over quite a few things, voiced and unspoken; however this is now one of my favorite posts in this forum. Yes, even close to Klobber’s shit stories.

 

-Will, I think its just a weird angle, on my right side everything is slightly bigger than my left though. Its hard to correct an asymmetry like that that’s only noticeable in a suit via weight training.

 

-Given the descriptions of various other thrift store denizens we really should start taking pictutes, good and bad. I had one I was going to take but my phone was dead, midriff bearing woman who looked like she was pregnant.

 

-Where the hell is Brian? Haven't heard fro, him in a bit.

post #52132 of 124862

Shout out to eazye for a sick Sierra Designs jacket. I had just started looking for a decent jacket and then boom! This thing is legit. Glad the brioni worked out for ya.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadBoy View Post Did grab a Band of Outsiders button-down I'm going to try to squeeze into (damn small sizing!) and a Hilditch & Key shirt that fits, pics maybe later.

 

 

I love the small fit. I just recently got my first BoO shirt and the fit is perfect, they're great. Let me know if it's a M and you decide it's too small for you biggrin.gif.

post #52133 of 124862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knarkoffer View Post

Recently I bought a nice looking coat in a second-hand store. I hope it was a good purchase, I paid ~40 USD...

 
Since I know many of you resell your thrifted objects and are well informed, could I perhaps ask you what something like this would have for estimated value when sold on eBay? (And if anyone would care to guess the MSRP that would also be lovely)
 

700

 

PS. I apologize for the photos, had to use my phone, but it's just the first picture that's a little blurry, the rest are better...

 

 

 

I can't tell for sure from the picture, but that's double breasted, right?

 

If it isn't, is it a european 48?

 

If it is would you sell it? :)

If yes could you post a clearer picture?

post #52134 of 124862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie View Post


Pics or it didnt happen! Please!!!!

 

Yikes! I'm not that big of a creeper...YET! patch[1].gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBakerSings View Post

Saw six new Golden Fleece ties tonight, including a seven-fold. Unfortunately, they were all 4" or wider baldy[1].gif

 

Please tell me you've pick those up, right? RIGHT!!!???

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataku View Post


There's a lot more eye candy combing the racks than there used to. They can be quite the distraction, though.

 

Yes, my eyes comb zeee racks all the time! mwink[1].gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainy View Post


picking up chicks

for five dollars

 

mwink[1].gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpmorris View Post

-Will, I think its just a weird angle, on my right side everything is slightly bigger than my left though. Its hard to correct an asymmetry like that that’s only noticeable in a suit via weight training.

 

Hey bro, go ask your doctor if that's normal. I'm sure you are in the safe zone! fing02[1].gif

post #52135 of 124862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoid Jones View Post

^^^ Nice Pendleton!  I never seem to find Pendleton SCs worth picking up... any moth damage on that one?

That reminds me... Pendleton pants: Kop or no kop? They felt really nice, but weren't my size and there were almost no completed eBay auctions which I took as a bad sign.

#pantsmagic
post #52136 of 124862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Abed View Post

There's a shop around here that I heard an employee telling a caller "Clothes have to be in good condition, clean and without stains or holes." This explained why everything there is pretty much awesome, condition wise. It's also a bit more, $10-20 for shirts and considerably more pricey for suits and sport coats. But if you're shopping for yourself, it's still pretty damn reasonable. I think everyone here would welcome higher prices if it meant everything was in great condition, right? Of course finding something awesome at $5 will never get old.

Yeah, I agree, but it's really a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it's nice to have clean, well kept items in a nice environment. On the other side of it, having the volume that changes often would be great. More opportunities to find awesome things. My shops are great to shop for myself or to grab something that someone here would love. Flipping? Yeah, I am able to successfully do it but it can be difficult. There is a high-end consignment shop that is 85% women's stuff and their prices are considerably higher, but she will accept nothing that is flawed or truly dated. It's impossible to flip the stuff in her store as the prices are too high but brand new great shirts, ties and pants can be found. I still visit all of these places often as I can find really exceptional pieces.

Oddly enough, there are certain brands that I haven't found or that are difficult to find. I see a lot of Italian names and far fewer English names. I would assume it's due to the fact that many high-end stores here sell mostly Italian stuff. Others, such as RLPL will likely not be found. I'm sure a bit of it is sold in Vienna somewhere, but I have yet to find a store that carries it and I've asked around quite a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

Scorpios? icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif Me too.

Incredibly close, but my wife and I are Sagittarius. We're the 26th of November, so really close to Scorpio. Does that mean you have a birthday coming up this month??
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

Are you my brothafromanothamotha? I saw Muse like 6x live. Amazing concerts, each one.

I tried to see them live twice when they were in my area. It didn't work out and I had been bitter ever since. My wife saw them twice before we married, so now I'll FINALLY get to see them this month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klobber View Post

Thrift fit.
Went off to a colloquium today but made mistake last week of wearing a full Tom Ford suit. Decided to tone down considerably and bump shoulders with 3 other fellows whom at least come with proper shoes, sport coats, and long sleeve shirts. After much deliberation, my entire outfit today was thrifted and I felt rather pleased with the way it turned out.

Really nice look! I did half expect you to look like Bill the Butcher, so that was a mild disappointment. happy.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievddr10 View Post

got these 2 today for $22 a pop a bit pricey, but hey what the hell biggrin.gif

Awesome! Why are Lobbs popping up here recently and, a better question, when can I expect to find them?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelntrigger View Post


Did you thrift this?

I found it online. It's silk taffeta though, so I think that it's considered elegant or high-end. I don't know if it will work and I don't know if it looks dated as I'm terrible with formal womenswear.


Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelntrigger View Post

My god, today while I was inspecting a Burberry London SC with a moth hole, I saw a caucasian brunette woman with the tiniest waist but with the roundest and phatest booty I've seen in months walked in a local GW! Jeez, I just about dropped the jacket! I mean it was so round that every time she told a step, her booty was winking at me!

Booty, booty, booty, booty rockin' everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazye View Post


Oh...sweet.....Jesus....that is awesome!!!!! Nice pick up! I think you should pair it with a Homburg.

I will try to pick one up and try it. I saw a cane/walking stick with a handle made from either bone or horn. I almost grabbed it thinking that I could utilize it for this coat. Then I realized that that was an insane idea and that I should possibly consult mental health professionals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazye View Post

And here's the brooch I picked up for my wife's birthday. No shit, literally found it 3 days after she told me to keep an eye out for something similar for her. The one she was looking at was frosted and a pinkish color so I originally didn't grab it. I went back a few days later and it was still there so I bought it. $15, so usually more than I like to spend at a thrift, but very cheap as far as making my wife happy. I thought is probably plastic when I looked at it behind the case, but when I actually had it in my had, it was way heavier than I though it was going to be, leading me to believe it might be legit. I took it down to a jeweler to have it looked at and dude said it was most likely from the turn of the century and hand carved ivory set in 14K gold. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Wow! If she gets tired of it you could always take it to auction. If she falls in love with it, you have a new family heirloom. Win win!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpmorris View Post


-Handers, the pants are functionally solid, but are a sea foam green/aqua odd type color. I think the pictures do all right at bringing about the actual color. Im not too worried in terms of business, but in terms of color matching with the pants. I was unsure, so went with as conservative accouterments as possible. I think it worked, but would like to rock these more often.

Ahh, hard color to match I'd guess! The hardest part (for me) would be a shirt. I think you're definitely on the right track, but I'm not sure what colors to suggest!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpmorris View Post

-Where the hell is Brian? Haven't heard fro, him in a bit.

He checked in with us and said that he's had to use the power at a local Starbucks. He assured us he's fine and that they're just waiting on power to be restored and gas stations to start pumping.
post #52137 of 124862




post #52138 of 124862
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainy View Post

lol, it's easier than at a bar
but maybe it's because i'm 23 and most of the attractive girls i see at stores at like 19-25
if you're both at a thrift store, chances are you have a lot in common
in my experience
we need an article about that
picking up chicks
and a brioni shirt
for five dollars


Some woman was hanging around me yesterday after I found a Burberry London jacket. It wasn't tagged, so of course they wouldn't sell it to me — do people rip these off, or are the workers just missing clothes when they go on tagging binges — but she tried to strike up a bit of a conversation on the way out to the parking lot. I was a bit mad that they wouldn't sell it, of course, so I wasn't really paying her any mind. Plus, I am, you know, married. I guess.

post #52139 of 124862
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLjon View Post


Some woman was hanging around me yesterday after I found a Burberry London jacket. It wasn't tagged, so of course they wouldn't sell it to me — do people rip these off, or are the workers just missing clothes when they go on tagging binges — but she tried to strike up a bit of a conversation on the way out to the parking lot. I was a bit mad that they wouldn't sell it, of course, so I wasn't really paying her any mind. Plus, I am, you know, married. I guess.

 

Was she good looking or have a round rump?

post #52140 of 124862
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread