or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 3463

post #51931 of 116121
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post

Here's a question (that I could begin an entire thread on, but I won't): what are some ideas for a formal overcoat? Black is a natural choice, but I found something in navy cashmere with a fox fur collar. I know it's over the top, but could I mix black tie and a dark navy?? I don't think so, but I'd like confirmation smile.gif

 

 

Nice!  I would say no, unless your tux is midnight blue, in which case, maybe.  A little over the top, maybe, but in a tasteful way if accessories are similarly bold.

post #51932 of 116121
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftydood View Post

A pair of Levi's 501 (not available):

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

made in USA, selvedge

 

 

 

 

Been looking for these at thrifts...No luck yet...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrateCustomer View Post

Even though I wear a 10, these fit really good. They have hardly any wear on the soles, and just some very minor nicks on one of the heals. Look, I understand you big city ballers see this stuff all the time, but here in the sweaty taint of California, Allen Edmonds is like you guys finding Lobb's. So, with that, I hope this spreads a little bit more thrifting karma someone else out there.
Happy All Hallow's Eve.

 

You from central valley?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceOfBoh View Post

Hard on the seal skins, here's another entry in exotic skin, from the Great White North:
NOS Florsheim Imperials from their exotic leathers Caravan Collection in shark skin, size 7.5 D. Still has the tag on the sole: $88!
I posted a photo from the floor of a VV with these awhile ago but never picked them up. This past weekend's shark skin action on luxe swap - and some prompting from a fellow SF thrifter - made me go out and buy them.
file-196.jpgWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
file-948.jpg
file-946.jpg
file-197.jpg
file-198.jpg
file-199.jpg
file-200.jpg
file-910.jpg
Also picked up an SF approved tie, probably destined for the Secret Santa, so will not share it.
This whole Secret Santa thing is fantastic except buying for someone else makes me nervous and I'm second guessing all my ideas.

 

$$$

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by private eyes View Post

I passed on a very very old Dunn & Co Harris Tweed blazer. I believe it was 10-15. I don't think I've ever seen a HT label like this one. I believe the blazer was made in scotland .

 

 

700

 

That's really cool to see a different HT label. I've only seen the standard red one and the once a while green one.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post


Brian, if he is OK, which I am sure he is - will be out of internet comish for quite some time. Jersey is the equivalent of ground zero for this storm.
I lost power for 2.5 days, which is the equivalent of a crack addict without a fix, but I am now dosing slowly and back to ignoring my family. lol8[1].gif Aside from being stuck inside with a barking dog and a cabin fevered 3 year old and a bored wife, we lost part of our front porch, which I was never particularly fond of anyhow, a few screen windows, and my wifes car got flooded, but everyone is safe. I have about 350 emails and PMs to get back to, plus 250 belts to photograph, so time for a cuppa joe and get back to work!

 

OMG, that does not sound fun! My sympathy goes out to you, bro!

post #51933 of 116121

I made the mistake of strolling into Neiman Marcus Last Call and got stuck staring at their clearance tie section for over 20 minutes. My god, they had Brioni, Charvet, Isaia 7 folds, Kiton 7 folds, Drakes, and Robert Graham skeet ties for no more than $60!!! I had to force myself to stop drooling and consequently wiped it off with a RLPL cashmere tie for $80...I left the store with only one of their house brand tie to show for cuz I just bought a few pairs of LVC selvedge jeans...musicboohoo[1].gif

post #51934 of 116121
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwarebandit View Post

Rich guy donation day - my most favorite of days
Dege & Skinner, KATO AAA, F I N A M O R E, T&A, Brioni, Seize sur Vingt, Steven Alan Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

KATO' AAA selvedge workshirt

 

SO LUCKY!

post #51935 of 116121
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

Nah not over the tip IMO....but probably wouldn't work for black tie.

This would be over the top...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


%24(KGrHqFHJE4FB4BQJn)(BQf2BRduWg~~60_57.JPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CesarC View Post


Nice!  I would say no, unless your tux is midnight blue, in which case, maybe.  A little over the top, maybe, but in a tasteful way if accessories are similarly bold.

My tux is black, and I'd love to have an elegant black overcoat but the thespian in me is saying that I should be far more bold than society says is acceptable. biggrin.gif Here's the actual coat in mind:



Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelntrigger View Post

I made the mistake of strolling into Neiman Marcus Last Call and got stuck staring at their clearance tie section for over 20 minutes. My god, they had Brioni, Charvet, Isaia 7 folds, Kiton 7 folds, Drakes, and Robert Graham skeet ties for no more than $60!!! I had to force myself to stop drooling and consequently wiped it off with a RLPL cashmere tie for $80...I left the store with only one of their house brand tie to show for cuz I just bought a few pairs of LVC selvedge jeans...musicboohoo%5B1%5D.gif

I was in heaven with NM. Things I had gotten for full price (in Europe!) were a fraction of the normal US prices. It was incredible and my wife thought I was insane. I tried to get her to buy a pair of Louboutins for $600 because she liked them and I thought it was a great deal.

It was reported today that Austria has the lowest unemployment rate in the EU thankfully at 4.4%, if not, I'd be in trouble. nod[1].gif
post #51936 of 116121
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

Brian, if he is OK, which I am sure he is - will be out of internet comish for quite some time. Jersey is the equivalent of ground zero for this storm.
I lost power for 2.5 days, which is the equivalent of a crack addict without a fix, but I am now dosing slowly and back to ignoring my family. lol8[1].gif Aside from being stuck inside with a barking dog and a cabin fevered 3 year old and a bored wife, we lost part of our front porch, which I was never particularly fond of anyhow, a few screen windows, and my wifes car got flooded, but everyone is safe. I have about 350 emails and PMs to get back to, plus 250 belts to photograph, so time for a cuppa joe and get back to work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post

Good to know! Hope he's in great shape and not sifting through soaked Brionis and Kitons.
Now, are there any other east coasters about whom we should be concerned??

Great news! That really sucks about the damage Spoo, but really glad everyone is alright!
post #51937 of 116121

glad to hear everyone is alright! 

 

I felt like Spoo for a moment when I found nwt trafalagar belts size 36...unfortunately they were  at Nordstrom rack.

 

700

 

 

Came across a size 50L suit. Too big for me so available.

 

 

700

post #51938 of 116121
Halloween Thrift Fit Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Nomex Racing suit and Clarks Desert Boots

Now for some help ID'ing a little rug I picked up.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Anyone able to translate the "signature"?
post #51939 of 116121
Are Missoni made in Italy suits worth picking up? Came across one today but it seemed old or at least the inside size/content tag had almost completely worn out so I passed.

Did come out with a Brooks Brothers Madison made in Italy suit and a couple pairs of Allen Edmonds. Photos later.
post #51940 of 116121

Not much luck today.

 

However, I did find my first T&A shirt that wasnt beat to fucking hell and back. I believe this is M2M in a Extra Slim Fit cut.

We're talking about a 18" Collar, 23" across the chest, and 20" across the waist.

Weird part of it though, 35" on the back length. Never seen a shirt so damn long.

 

Anyway,

Ive always wanted to ask, whats the deal with the 4 digit code stamps on the brand tag?

 

700

 

700

post #51941 of 116121

Passed on a couple firsts for me. A beat up and stained Brioni T-shirt. A nice slim fitting Prada shirt in a great color combo, that was priced at eBay prices, and a versace V2 dress shirt that needed the treatment bad and had some fraying. 

 

Did pick up a nice Burberry casual shirt for myself though. 

 

Hope the everyone in the east coast is doing good. Happy Halloween. 

post #51942 of 116121
Do you guys know if Alden ever made for Cole Haan? Ive got a pair of shoes that look like they have the identical coding on the interior wall.

Also, a consignor sent me some things to sell that he thrifted. Pretty much the most insane things I have seen - he kept the tags on them for me to see and gave me permission to post. You will lose your minds.
post #51943 of 116121
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikethelights View Post

Are Missoni made in Italy suits worth picking up? Came across one today but it seemed old or at least the inside size/content tag had almost completely worn out so I passed.
Did come out with a Brooks Brothers Madison made in Italy suit and a couple pairs of Allen Edmonds. Photos later.

42r? Get at me.

Found 4 NWT true religion jeans today at TJ MAXX. Retail $297 Jeno pony express slim cut. Passed on them because they were tagged at $120. What do you think the sweet spot is for turning these around on the 'bay. I didn't take down sizes because I wasn't sure TR does it for anyone here. If you're interested I can get a proxy ASAP.
post #51944 of 116121

$2.99 at St,Vinnies. Did I pay too much? Available - a little too snug for me.

Double Breasted, double vented.

400

400

400

 

 

post #51945 of 116121

Anyone know anything about this label?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLjon View Post

 

700

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread