or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 3400

post #50986 of 109474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofit View Post

I found this Hamilton Watch I have not purchase because they want quite a bit. Just wondering if any of you guys have knowlege of Hamilton and what a good price is. They are asking $299 at the thrift.
It does have the box and paperwork to go with it. I am assuming that it is authentic. Sorry for the crappy pics. Is it worth picking up?
IMG167.jpg
 

Is it for you, or to flip?

 

Looks to be semi-current and gold plated right (I see the words base metal on the back)? You might be able to make a little something off of it, but I'm not 100% sure of that. Seems way high for a thrift price. If this was $50 or $100 I'd say give it a shot but be ready to own it as well.

post #50987 of 109474
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazye View Post

Hmmmmm..."scratches head, turns diagram upside down and sideways".

 

 

Thrift fit pic needed. Get on it!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroFan View Post

Well, the thrift gods must absolutely love me for some reason....I've got one of the more amazing orphan reuniting stories:  So, 2-3 weeks ago I hit up a GW that I visit very infrequently because it's ~20+ miles from my house, and I see this absolute beauty:

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

Awesome recent (I think) Chipp.  I was super excited since I've never found anything by Chipp, and that lining is just amazing.  Searched frantically for the pants and got super bummed when I couldn't find them.  Against my better judgment, got it anyway thinking that it was a decent enough pattern to rock as an SC, but knowing deep down it was probably a bad idea.  But I couldn't very well leave my first Chipp find!

 

So, today, 3 weeks later I'm in that part of town for a meeting again and I hit up a different GW, about 5 miles away from the one where I found the jacket, and lo and behold, this beauty is staring back at me:

 

 

 

 

bounce2.gif  I still wasn't sure though...I thought the odds were low that my first two Chipp finds would be unrelated, but I couldn't exactly remember if the pattern was right on.  Just got home and it's a match.    icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gificon_gu_b_slayer[1].gificon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif.  Mind you, I've been back to the store I found the pants in, in the interim period since finding the jacket, AND this place is a flipper haven (which I was reminded of today when I saw an older lady powering through the menswear at a breakneck pace), so it had to have just been put out.

 

 

Oh and the kicker: I tried it on and it fits too, just need to bring in the waist.   icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gificon_gu_b_slayer[1].gificon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gificon_gu_b_slayer[1].gificon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

 

 

 

That's pretty damn fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyfud View Post


To the finds...
First up, the jacket I posted about a few hours ago:

Pringle sweater (lambswool, not cashmere), tagged 40 but the previous owner must have shrunk it because it fits me pretty well.

 

 

Two great finds! The jacket, I think, is pretty damn sweet, and you should wear the hell out of that sweater.

post #50988 of 109474
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebryant View Post

 

This is what I was thinking. I wanted to see how you guys tackle polishing/restoring thrifted shoes.

 

Ok, so,

1. Damp Cloth...what kind of cloth? Is there special type/brand you guys recommend?

2. Brush...im seeing horse hair everywhere...that correct?

3. Buff, what am i using for this?

 

Thanks again guys. I stopped in a shoe repair/shine place  earlier today and the jackass there told me to use the wax in the same color the shoes are. that was it, he didnt specify steps or other things to do. Glad I have you guys. Haha

There are entire threads like "THE OFFICIAL SHOE CARE THREAD" teacha.gif http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/the-official-shoe-care-thread-tutorials-photos-etc for basic questions like this. Not to get off on a tanget but this IMO is not the right place to ask, and if you searched for 2 seconds you would find these threads. I'm sure if you went in the shoe care thread and started bragging about your thrift finds people would be like WTF.

post #50989 of 109474
Andro - IIRC the original Chipp is defunct. Chipp2 is a recent reincarnation by the dude's son. I'm not sure, but I believe that's the original Chipp label.

Caseyfud - Maus & Hoffman is a high end department store in my area. They have a few locations in Palm Beach and Ft. Lauderdale. Their house label is generally much better than Saks and Neiman house brand items.

Hoofit - if you want for yourself, and it's been there a while, offer $200. It wouldn't be easily flipped unless you got it for about $50.
post #50990 of 109474

Yeah, I read up on Chipp/Chipp2 some time back, and I think this is the original Chipp, but I think they were around until the early 2000s I think?  (though I could be wrong about that)....so maybe *relatively* recent?  I only even say that because the condition is just amazing, though it obviously could have just been well maintained.  Regardless, it's pretty awesome.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CK View Post

Andro - IIRC the original Chipp is defunct. Chipp2 is a recent reincarnation by the dude's son. I'm not sure, but I believe that's the original Chipp label.
Caseyfud - Maus & Hoffman is a high end department store in my area. They have a few locations in Palm Beach and Ft. Lauderdale. Their house label is generally much better than Saks and Neiman house brand items.
Hoofit - if you want for yourself, and it's been there a while, offer $200. It wouldn't be easily flipped unless you got it for about $50.
post #50991 of 109474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post

There are entire threads like "THE OFFICIAL SHOE CARE THREAD" teacha.gif http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/the-official-shoe-care-thread-tutorials-photos-etc for basic questions like this. Not to get off on a tanget but this IMO is not the right place to ask, and if you searched for 2 seconds you would find these threads. I'm sure if you went in the shoe care thread and started bragging about your thrift finds people would be like WTF.


I feel ya. Just thought about that shit. Sorry for hijacking, just figured since we were on the topic it was cool.

Ill check out the other thread.

On to the thrift finds.

post #50992 of 109474
http://www.ivy-style.com/chipp-off-the-old-block.html

Original Chipp was dissolved in early '80s.

I know what you mean, though. I've found many Chipp things and they've all looked relatively modern.
post #50993 of 109474

Woahhh.  Definitely didn't realize that.  Wow, this is the nicest old suit I've ever seen, haha.  Thanks!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CK View Post

http://www.ivy-style.com/chipp-off-the-old-block.html
Original Chipp was dissolved in early '80s.
I know what you mean, though. I've found many Chipp things and they've all looked relatively modern.
post #50994 of 109474
Very successful day of thrifting. I found this exact same thing today for 400 ...... pennies icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kiton-100-Guanaco-Vicuna-No-reserve-/261105917644?pt=US_CSA_MC_Blazers_Sport_Coats&hash=item3ccb201ecc

I never head of Guanaco before but after doing some research I found that it is very comparable to Vicuna
post #50995 of 109474
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmac7 View Post

Very successful day of thrifting. I found this exact same thing today for 400 ...... pennies icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kiton-100-Guanaco-Vicuna-No-reserve-/261105917644?pt=US_CSA_MC_Blazers_Sport_Coats&hash=item3ccb201ecc
I never head of Guanaco before but after doing some research I found that it is very comparable to Vicuna


alien.gif

 

I don't really know what that one means, but it's never used. NICE SNAG!

post #50996 of 109474
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLjon View Post


alien.gif

 

I don't really know what that one means, but it's never used. 

post #50997 of 109474

Some finds from today

 

Bostonian trees, Polo Regent and Hickey Freeman for me, Peter Millar Chinos 38, Orvis Moleskins 36, Zegna 33

 

Recent Hickey Freeman, very nice, double vented, great fabric, 39S

 

Gianluca Isaia 7-fold, small stain on front

 

2 Brooks Brothers "wash and wear" 44R suits, 3/2 roll, no padding on shoulders, one with a subtle blue plaid, one subtle red

post #50998 of 109474
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmac7 View Post

Very successful day of thrifting. I found this exact same thing today for 400 ...... pennies icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kiton-100-Guanaco-Vicuna-No-reserve-/261105917644?pt=US_CSA_MC_Blazers_Sport_Coats&hash=item3ccb201ecc
I never head of Guanaco before but after doing some research I found that it is very comparable to Vicuna
Nice. Frankly when I first read it I thought you were talking about bat sh.. I mean excrement biggrin.gif
We need our resident etymologists Mexi and Pnutpug to comment on this.
post #50999 of 109474
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmac7 View Post

Very successful day of thrifting. I found this exact same thing today for 400 ...... pennies icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kiton-100-Guanaco-Vicuna-No-reserve-/261105917644?pt=US_CSA_MC_Blazers_Sport_Coats&hash=item3ccb201ecc
I never head of Guanaco before but after doing some research I found that it is very comparable to Vicuna

Whoooooa! This could be the thrift find of the year. Pics!
post #51000 of 109474
Quote:
Originally Posted by catside View Post

Nice. Frankly when I first read it I thought you were talking about bat sh.. I mean excrement biggrin.gif
We need our resident etymologists Mexi and Pnutpug to comment on this.



Real question, the ad says that these start at $15k and then I saw an over coat retial for $45k. Anyone know an accurate retial price?

http://www.ehaberdasher.com/servlet/Detail?category=Outerwear&keyword=guanaco&no=8506&oem=Kiton&param_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ehaberdasher.com%2Fservlet%2FCategories%3F%24catalog.Oem%3DKiton%26category%3DOuterwear%26keyword%3Dguanaco
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread