or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 3377

post #50641 of 110374

Monday I'm sending out items to two members at no cost in the hopes of them finding something for me in the future, and am sending out a pair of shoes for the price of shipping to another member because he wears a hard to find size that I happened to come across. So I'd say there's plenty of good spirit/will left, maybe just not on display.

post #50642 of 110374
There are many of us here who do trade/sell without any markup. We just aren't the most vocal on the thread. This conversation has been hashed and rehashed so many times, including once by your's truly, that it is almost as cliche as finding a Dior tie.

The thread is what it is, not what it was and I doubt it was ever that at all. Accept it and move on.
post #50643 of 110374
Quote:
Originally Posted by toscano_adottato View Post

There are many of us here who do trade/sell without any markup. We just aren't the most vocal on the thread. This conversation has been hashed and rehashed so many times, including once by your's truly, that it is almost as cliche as finding a Dior tie.
The thread is what it is, not what it was and I doubt it was ever that at all. Accept it and move on.

True on all points.
post #50644 of 110374
Quote:
Originally Posted by toscano_adottato View Post

There are many of us here who do trade/sell without any markup. We just aren't the most vocal on the thread. This conversation has been hashed and rehashed so many times, including once by your's truly, that it is almost as cliche as finding a Dior tie.
The thread is what it is, not what it was and I doubt it was ever that at all. Accept it and move on.

Amen. If you don't like it, start your own thread. As a relative newcomer, I've had mixed experiences, folks who are obviously out to make a buck and folks like me who do it as a hobby and don't post finds that often because brag-worthy finds are rare around here. But, it's a great resource, and I think, hope, it's OK to post a photo of something I picked up with the intent of flipping to ask questions about pedigree and other stuff to ensure an accurate eBay listing. And some truly great guys populate these environs: Eazy, Mainy, Klobber, Concealed, etc., etc., etc. I've left many out, but you know who you are, and you can always be counted on to educate even when there's no money to be made.

The problem, maybe, is the label. This seems to be The Thrifting Thread, not necessarily the bragging thread. That's fine by me. I enjoy potpourri. And I think it polices itself well. If someone goes too far by, say, posting prices for their stuff, it's quickly reined in. If someone is posting Gap and Banana Republic and Sonoma, they, too, are quickly reined in.

If Mister I Don't Like This has any constructive, workable suggestions as to improve the thread, he should state them. Otherwise, he should keep quiet.

Lastly, niggardly ain't racist, Eazy. Plenty of others have made that mistake, so no worries. Stay cool, y'all.
post #50645 of 110374

So . . . What have y'all been up to? nest.gif

 

But, seriously: Everyone's been killing it lately!  I've been too busy to do any thrifting, but I did get out this morning.

 

Some finds from my local crappy TJ Maxx

 

Alden - 11C; Available peepwall[1].gif  Actual cost + shipping for a slight fixer-upper

They do have a minor tear in the leather that I must've missed.  Can anything be done about this?  I wouldn't care much if they were myself, but . . .

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

BB braces

 

 

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

A big SHOUT OUT to TBEN for hooking me up with these!  Unfortunately, they're not going to work, so let me know if they'd work for you.

 

PRL by Corneliani wool/cashmere- about a 35x32 or so.  I'll measure later.

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Dark charcoal, wool/cashmere, tagged 36W, double pleated, cuffed

 

 

 

 

post #50646 of 110374

A nice Eton and a pair of Hiltl pants. I'd say it was worth 2 hours of my day.

 

post #50647 of 110374

I am afraid to throw in my two cents mostly because everything has already been said, and far better than I could ever do.

 

However, I still think I need to speak up. I have had nothing but incredible deals with people on here in my relatively short time. Both selling, and buying. Everyone has always been generous, honest and looking to help each other out. This is a thread to brag deals and help others learn about what they can be looking for. I often receive bonus items in the stuff I buy or trade and always pass on the goodwill. The members here are incredible.

 

I would MUCH rather somebody post an awesome find and be upfront that they will be asking more than have someone blatantly omit an awesome score because they are worried they will be lowballed to death.

 

I think most regulars give incredible deals to other regulars here. There will always be the extremists on both sides...those that are blatantly pure sellers and those who are blatantly pure purchasers whose names only appear in PM inboxes and nowhere to positively contribute to the forum. I would also say a LOT of the available items posted are available for trades. This way, it is a win-win and both parties walk away happy.

 

This forum has helped me form an infinitely better wardrobe at a price I could actually afford. It has also spoiled me to the point that Marshall's items now look expensive.

 

All of that to say that you guys must have good joo joo in your thrifting adventures lately. I think Florida is sucked dry. Hopefully the snow birds will be down soon and clean out their closets when they get to their beach houses. It has expanded my normal views though into the housewares, electronics...etc though around the stores to find SOMETHING that I want. I ALMOST bought a Pilates Reformer today, but the SA wanted 40 bucks for it and it wasn't a nice commercial one. I did pick up a pretty recent FoodSaver though and a Stetson Law coffee mug!!!

post #50648 of 110374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien View Post

This thread used to be a place where people found great great things and wore them with pride or passed them at cost as favours - you might have noticed or not but I'm doing that myself with a Caruso jacket.
Nowadays it's just a joke because it reeks of niggardly greed.
"Shite jacket by some awful maker - AVAILABLE"
A true true joke.

Very greedy of people to offer their items up at an agreed upon price in order to fuel the hobby and pay for their time, gasoline, other costs and, god forbid, maybe even a little something extra for themselves. I shudder at the thought. What has the world come to?
post #50649 of 110374
I sort of quit thrifting a few months ago, but stopped by today at the place where I found the size 12 John Lobbs and Bontonis in the spring. Same guy must have donated these Stefanobis.



Will need to post better photos later. Really nice condition. Color is a beautiful greenish blue.

AHS
post #50650 of 110374
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHS View Post

I sort of quit thrifting a few months ago, but stopped by today at the place where I found the size 12 John Lobbs and Bontonis in the spring. Same guy must have donated these Stefanobis.

Will need to post better photos later. Really nice condition. Color is a beautiful greenish blue.
AHS

Nice relapse.
post #50651 of 110374

I clearly know nothing about Leica except to understand that it's a high-end brand. Regardless, this looked like a nice antique behind the thrift shop collector counter this morning where I bought it for $25. Does anybody know what it's worth?

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #50652 of 110374
Any of you regulars interested in some cheaney made longwings in a 12/12.5? Available for cost+ shipping in return for future consideration on something you find in my size.
post #50653 of 110374

can people calm down about complaining about this thead, make a new one if you don't like it or get annoying posters like me banned...

sorry about not shipping stuff yet guys shit has been hectic, turns out I have mono again, got rejected from priceton faster than I thought humanly possible, didn't get the tall person scholarhsip, missed my city comittee meeting, my dog is dying, I cussed out my journalism teacher and got saturday school, I am failing ap studio art, I have got a b on my last ap gov test and my parents grounded me so I am unable to go to an adolecents show and was rejected by the girl I like, so now I ranting to old dudes on the internet... basically white people problems

anyway this is sort of a brag, got it super cheap on ebay

 

post #50654 of 110374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Erickson View Post

can people calm down about complaining about this thead, make a new one if you don't like it or get annoying posters like me banned...
sorry about not shipping stuff yet guys shit has been hectic, turns out I have mono again, got rejected from priceton faster than I thought humanly possible, didn't get the tall person scholarhsip, missed my city comittee meeting, my dog is dying, I cussed out my journalism teacher and got saturday school, I am failing ap studio art, I have got a b on my last ap gov test and my parents grounded me so I am unable to go to an adolecents show and was rejected by the girl I like, so now I ranting to old dudes on the internet... basically white people problems
anyway this is sort of a brag, got it super cheap on ebay


Love that watch, even if it is what it is. Growing up, my dad had a Seiko with an iridescent blue dial just like that. I've coveted one since, but haven't yet stumbled across it for the right price.
post #50655 of 110374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post

I clearly know nothing about Leica except to understand that it's a high-end brand. Regardless, this looked like a nice antique behind the thrift shop collector counter this morning where I bought it for $25. Does anybody know what it's worth?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)









southpark.jpg





Anyway, I should clarify what I said earlier. I couldn't care less that this thread has turned capitalistic. What really got to me the past few months is having hooked up some people long ago and then contacting them recently only to either be ignored or quoted some ridiculous sum. That's what I find fucked up. I love this thread and will take it as is. It's the only thread I post in regularly anymore. And there certainly are some great people here and you all know who you are. cheers.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread