or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 3340

post #50086 of 115176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebryant View Post


Cool shit man. Remind me of back in the day when I used to listen to IDM/Experimental shit. We're talking '99. What are you working with?

 

Figured out how to do all of the random stuff just using ableton live.  I use reaktor quite a bit, which is like a dumbed down fraction of max/msp, and I was actually trying to get back into max/msp earlier today.  

post #50087 of 115176
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmatter7 View Post

 

That was my fall break rotflmao.gif

 

But also... I'm basically working from when I get up (8am usually) to when I go to sleep (1 am).  In addition to "thrifting" the 3500 items I have in inventory, school (including two 300 level math classes), and visiting my girlfriend in Santa Barbara every weekend, I just released an "album" of algorithmic (computer generated) music.  That's what I really want to brag about.

 

And to think I wasted my college time drinking and experimenting with drugs... No, wait, that was awesome. Get out and have some fun away from a computer.
post #50088 of 115176
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmatter7 View Post

 

Figured out how to do all of the random stuff just using ableton live.  I use reaktor quite a bit, which is like a dumbed down fraction of max/msp, and I was actually trying to get back into max/msp earlier today.  


Reaktor is cool. Pretty much anything Native Instruments makes is badass. Max/MSP is a bitch to learn though. You must have some patience or really good memory. I dont know what its like now but when I tried to learn it in like '01...it was a nightmare. AufioMulch, SynthEdit, and Reaktor were the only patching/programming apps I was able to pick up.

post #50089 of 115176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manofstyle85 View Post

How about a $405 Harris Tweed jacket? http://www.ebay.com/itm/251161841500?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1562.l2649

 

Wait...What???!!! What's so special about it?! Do you know something we don't?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reigningchamp View Post

I am learning a lot from everyone in this thread. I have read the entire thing over the past few weeks. This has changed the way I look at clothing in thrift stores. Thanks to all who have contributed. 

 

I'm thinking this is an exaggeration...right?!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmatter7 View Post

here it is: 

unorganized diaries

 

edit: and about it... the notes are triggered randomly more or less.  On most tracks in this set, I just give it a certain probability that a given note in D minor would play (did the same with drums) and then engineered some really long effects chains.  I tried to set up an algebra of sorts in a few of them by allowing operations such as addition using some weird stuff... I'm working on organized diaries, in which the tracks will still be randomly generated, but will be indiscernible from human written compositions.

 

also made this earlier today:

too blue

 

Uhhh, I would never pegged you for this style...

post #50090 of 115176
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmatter7 View Post

That was my fall break rotflmao.gif

But also... I'm basically working from when I get up (8am usually) to when I go to sleep (1 am).  In addition to "thrifting" the 3500 items I have in inventory, school (including two 300 level math classes), and visiting my girlfriend in Santa Barbara every weekend, I just released an "album" of algorithmic (computer generated) music.  That's what I really want to brag about.

And to think I wasted my college time drinking and experimenting with drugs... No, wait, that was awesome. Get out and have some fun away from a computer.

That's what I'm telling him every time he comes and visits his girlfriend in Santa Barbara. Grab a beer or hit up a party.

Anyways. I've been getting picking up some Savile Row stuff. Bespoke Gieves & Hawkes, Norton & Sons, Henry Poole and a bomb shirt by Washington Tremlet. A Turnbull & Asser tie. Pics leter.
post #50091 of 115176
post #50092 of 115176
^
Oh, and my size too. : (
post #50093 of 115176
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelntrigger View Post
Uhhh, I would never pegged you for this style...

DM7 is an enigma, wrapped in a mole enchilada, served with aguas frescas.

Big E ftw. Keep your eyes out.

post #50094 of 115176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Abed View Post

DM7 is an enigma, wrapped in a mole enchilada, served with aguas frescas.

Big E ftw. Keep your eyes out.

 

Oh yeah, I've been looking at red tags until my eyes became raw. I would never imagine they would go for this much! I thought $400 on a pair is good enough but damn!!!

post #50095 of 115176
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelntrigger View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Abed View Post

DM7 is an enigma, wrapped in a mole enchilada, served with aguas frescas.

Big E ftw. Keep your eyes out.

 

Oh yeah, I've been looking at red tags until my eyes became raw. I would never imagine they would go for this much! I thought $400 on a pair is good enough but damn!!!

 

Amazing... But how can the seller/buyer know for sure whether this is Levi's LVC "Big E" (values from ~ $125 to $375, right?) versus the actual vintage "Big E" from decades ago — especially since with LVC Levi's went so far as to artificially rust the rivets, cause age-appropriate "wear and tear" to the denim, etc.

post #50096 of 115176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post

 

Amazing... But how can the seller/buyer know for sure whether this is Levi's LVC "Big E" (values from ~ $125 to $375, right?) versus the actual vintage "Big E" from decades ago — especially since with LVC Levi's went so far as to artificially rust the rivets, cause age-appropriate "wear and tear" to the denim, etc.

 

Hmmm, I'm no denim expert but I was told by a fellow SF member who happens to be a denim head the authenticity could be verified best by serial numbers, of course giving the numbers have not faded.

post #50097 of 115176
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel View Post

 

And to think I wasted my college time drinking and experimenting with drugs... No, wait, that was awesome. Get out and have some fun away from a computer.

+7

post #50098 of 115176
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmatter7 View Post

here it is: 

unorganized diaries

 

edit: and about it... the notes are triggered randomly more or less.  On most tracks in this set, I just give it a certain probability that a given note in D minor would play (did the same with drums) and then engineered some really long effects chains.  I tried to set up an algebra of sorts in a few of them by allowing operations such as addition using some weird stuff... I'm working on organized diaries, in which the tracks will still be randomly generated, but will be indiscernible from human written compositions.

 

also made this earlier today:

too blue

Thanks. Natural random patterns. Just a thought - Fractal curves? 

 

Keep us posted. 

post #50099 of 115176
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelntrigger View Post

 

Hmmm, I'm no denim expert but I was told by a fellow SF member who happens to be a denim head the authenticity could be verified best by serial numbers, of course giving the numbers have not faded.

You can tell by the construction and rivets as well. I have found only a few vintage red line selvage pair of Levi's in my thrifting, and most have been beat to hell. (There is a blue line selvage as well, but they seam to be far more rare.  I have never found a vintage pair of blue line selvage Levi's). The "big E" is very significant as well, never have found one in the wild. So vintage Levi's Selvage (some of these date from the 1950's and 60's), with the "Big E" label, in near new condition, in a great size. . . Almost guarantee that they are sold to a buyer in Asia - Malaysia, Hong Kong, Singapore. . .  

post #50100 of 115176
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel View Post

And to think I wasted my college time drinking and experimenting with drugs... No, wait, that was awesome. Get out and have some fun away from a computer.

Looking back to similar experiences, perhaps a tad before you Grendel, I think partying is overrated. It all ended up good but it could have ended in disaster. I support DMs cocky geekiness. He seems to be doing just fine, assuming he actually has some real friends beside his GF.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread