or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 3255

post #48811 of 102686

Any of you record hounds ever find any decent Rolling Stones / Bowie? Setting up my new place and my grandmas old hi-fi console thing needs some good vinyl to spin, wanted to start with some classics. I just don't know, are these guys impossible to find? If you come across any and feel like a proxy, get at me.

 

The thrift vinyl out here is so picked over, unless you want Burl Ives or the Tabernacle choir celebrates Christmas.

post #48812 of 102686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Abed View Post

Any of you record hounds ever find any decent Rolling Stones / Bowie? Setting up my new place and my grandmas old hi-fi console thing needs some good vinyl to spin, wanted to start with some classics. I just don't know, are these guys impossible to find? If you come across any and feel like a proxy, get at me.

The thrift vinyl out here is so picked over, unless you want Burl Ives or the Tabernacle choir celebrates Christmas.

Stones more than Bowie and most Bowie is Let's Dance era if you're into that kind of thing.
post #48813 of 102686
So...are a slew of made in Hong Kong Ascot Chang shirts worth grabbing at six bucks apiece? I left them, rather than risk continuing my downward ThiftThread shame spiral... eh.gif
post #48814 of 102686

OK so I had a pretty decent lunch trip picked up a pretty cool leather tie case and a Ted Baker shirt, nothing special but it was cheap had MOP buttons and filled a gap. I also picked this up and it is too small for me so AVAILABLE, I would prefer trades but...

 

 

 

 

 

post #48815 of 102686
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobizor View Post

So...are a slew of made in Hong Kong Ascot Chang shirts worth grabbing at six bucks apiece? I left them, rather than risk continuing my downward ThiftThread shame spiral... eh.gif


Isn't all Ascot Chang made in Hong Kong, he being a Hong Kong tailor?

post #48816 of 102686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuryman76 View Post


Flipped a perfect condition Harvie & Hudson on the bay several months ago. Didn't bring in much at all if I recall correctly. Hopefully you have better luck. It was a really well made shirt though.


I just spotted Harvie & Hudson for the first time a week or so ago. Quick research showed that it wasnt flippable, so it stayed.

post #48817 of 102686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrologia View Post

Yesterday I was out thrifting and I saw

And it still had a tag hanging on it! I've only seen this on Incotex, so I was jazzed (even though not my size) until I looked at that tag

Barry who?! Well, maybe they're made by the same folks, or something, but no, these were fine made in China trou. cloud.gif
I just came across a pair of these as well and had the same reaction. I've yet to see a pair of Incotex in the wild, so I was pretty disappointed, especially since they were my size. They seem to be a really nice pair of pants though, so I went ahead and picked them up for myself. Oddly enough, I also saw a pair of Banana Republic pants with that same strip at the back, just without the sizing.
--
Well censored.gif
They are 32/30, not the 32/32 I thought I read. Guess they are going back.
post #48818 of 102686

Can anyone here recommend the best product theyve tried to get out Collar/Cuff stains?

 

Ive been trying Oxy Clean gel stick and it works 25% of the time...last shirt I tried it on, left blue staining on the color. Im scared to try it on anything else now.

 

I want to start taking some more chances on shirts with the stains (flippable ones of course).

post #48819 of 102686
ok so i "THRIFTED" in my laundry bag at home over 100 of my shirts id forgotten about, they run the gamut from kiton,brioni,isiaia, asprey ,vuitton, zegna xxx, band of outsiders, hermes, ferragamao charvet, borrelli rlpl,rlbl, thom browne dior homme balenciaga raf simons etc etc etc lots have a yellowish collar and or staining from food (most shirts are white) the cleaners will not get these stains out, any home methods you thrifters use to take out the yellowing from collars (that will not irreparably harm the shirts), and food stains from oil? i will offer some here at great prices iiif i can clean most of them,
post #48820 of 102686
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebryant View Post

Can anyone here recommend the best product theyve tried to get out Collar/Cuff stains?

Ive been trying Oxy Clean gel stick and it works 25% of the time...last shirt I tried it on, left blue staining on the color. Im scared to try it on anything else now.

I want to start taking some more chances on shirts with the stains (flippable ones of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievddr10 View Post

ok so i "THRIFTED" in my laundry bag at home over 100 of my shirts id forgotten about, they run the gamut from kiton,brioni,isiaia, asprey ,vuitton, zegna xxx, band of outsiders, hermes, ferragamao charvet, borrelli rlpl,rlbl, thom browne dior homme balenciaga raf simons etc etc etc lots have a yellowish collar and or staining from food (most shirts are white) the cleaners will not get these stains out, any home methods you thrifters use to take out the yellowing from collars (that will not irreparably harm the shirts), and food stains from oil? i will offer some here at great prices iiif i can clean most of them,

2 minutes apart...looks like we have collar 0, quarantine it so it doesn't spread. biggrin.gif
post #48821 of 102686
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadBoy View Post


Isn't all Ascot Chang made in Hong Kong, he being a Hong Kong tailor?

I'm not sure. Some preliminary research undertaken on my small and poorly-lit phone suggests there was a New York stire that some presumed to made shirts as well...but who knows.
post #48822 of 102686
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievddr10 View Post

ok so i "THRIFTED" in my laundry bag at home over 100 of my shirts id forgotten about, they run the gamut from kiton,brioni,isiaia, asprey ,vuitton, zegna xxx, band of outsiders, hermes, ferragamao charvet, borrelli rlpl,rlbl, thom browne dior homme balenciaga raf simons etc etc etc lots have a yellowish collar and or staining from food (most shirts are white) the cleaners will not get these stains out, any home methods you thrifters use to take out the yellowing from collars (that will not irreparably harm the shirts), and food stains from oil? i will offer some here at great prices iiif i can clean most of them,

Oxiclean soak should do anything food or bodily fluid related. Just short of ink, it hasn't failed me yet.

Dude... I've never been so excited to look in this thread as when I see you post. Need list of your inventory asap happy.gif
post #48823 of 102686

So after complaining the other day that I never find anything, I ran into this today at lunch. 

 

 

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.  I'll post some decent pics of the jacket when I get home.  I would appreciate any information that you can give.  I've googled "Laureate's Prize" but found nothing.  I'm thinking its a SC, but thinking it might be an orphaned suit jacket.  Navy glen plaid, dark buttons, half-lined, thin shoulder pads, with darts.  No stains or holes.  Cost $9.95.  It's a size too large for me, but I just had to buy it.  I might ebay unless I decide I really like it enough to have it tailored.


Edited by aw82 - 10/3/12 at 12:37pm
post #48824 of 102686
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebryant View Post


I just spotted Harvie & Hudson for the first time a week or so ago. Quick research showed that it wasnt flippable, so it stayed.

 

I've had a Hilditch & Key on the 'bay for a while now with not bites. It's a somewhat uncommon size, but still. I think the Jermyn Street shirtmakers just don't get the same kind of attention as their Savile Row tailoring brethren. Shame.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobizor View Post


I'm not sure. Some preliminary research undertaken on my small and poorly-lit phone suggests there was a New York stire that some presumed to made shirts as well...but who knows.

 

You could be right. I just remember PTO talking up Ascot Chang quite a bit, but I think always as a Hong Kong shirtmaker.

post #48825 of 102686
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLSI View Post

Oxiclean soak should do anything food or bodily fluid related. Just short of ink, it hasn't failed me yet.
Dude... I've never been so excited to look in this thread as when I see you post. Need list of your inventory asap happy.gif

The official thrift thread method also involves vinegar, I believe. I soak the collar in vinegar and then use a dedicated toothbrush to gently scrub in either oxyclean or baking soda. Always baking soda for colors. If I'm set up with baking soda and there's one white shirt in the pile, it gets soda too. I've done oxyclean on colored collars with no ill effects, but I've also done it and bleached some color out. YMMV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread