or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 3150

post #47236 of 125334

Nat, your hauls are pretty nice. But can they beat this:

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

1 Sulka Hanger!

 

 

 

Didn't think so.

post #47237 of 125334

another thrift fit, I am going to crosspost this in the good taste thread because I am seeking critique

I am figuring out what to wear to a casual youth in government luncheon at the state capital

also I promise I am not one of those douchy high schoolers that wears a blazer and loafers everyday, I wear jeans, flannels, and leather jackets most of the time

 

unbuttoned?

buttoned?

pocket square?

 

HELP ME!? how do I  impress and schmooze with old dirt bag politicians and also impress girl of high school age?!

 

the deets...

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

j crew loafers, j crew pants, corter leather belt, burberry london shirt, zara blazer (all thrifted except the belt)

 

 

ALSO CAN I GET SOME INFO ON THIS WATCH? I bought it a while ago and it was listed as a seiko, but on the original strap it said another brand I can't remember and the text on the face says "phasar" what did I buy ?! puzzled.gif

post #47238 of 125334
I found and left a Gucci suit (made by Zegna) this morning. I bought it on the way home after some encouragement from Spoo. It's hanging on a nice wood H Freeman & Sons hangar that I got for free the other day when I bought an Oxxford suit.

post #47239 of 125334
BIG UPS/Massive Props to Tweets

Grabbed a RLPL Keaton collar shirt from him. Smooth transaction and fast shipping. Gonna order some more stuff!
post #47240 of 125334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton Dockers View Post

Nat, your hauls are pretty nice. But can they beat this:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
1 Sulka Hanger!



Didn't think so.

biggrin.gif

Where's TheWGP? I think he was actually looking for a Sulka hanger.
post #47241 of 125334
Ladies and Gents, today we embark on another journey - a mission not for the weak. We take a pair of discarded shoes from the trenches of the suburbs and have them flown thousands of miles to have them lovingly restored to their original beauty. Polished, waxed, resoled, boxed and flanneled up for a debut on the global stage. Will they bring the riches? Will they look as good as they did new? Will they make an oil magnate in Texas reach deeper in his pockets? Stay tuned, on these are the thrifts of our lives...
post #47242 of 125334
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

Ladies and Gents, today we embark on another journey - a mission not for the weak. We take a pair of discarded shoes from the trenches of the suburbs and have them flown thousands of miles to have them lovingly restored to their original beauty. Polished, waxed, resoled, boxed and flanneled up for a debut on the global stage. Will they bring the riches? Will they look as good as they did new? Will they make an oil magnate in Texas reach deeper in his pockets? Stay tuned, on these are the thrifts of our lives...

 

       

post #47243 of 125334
bounce2.gif
post #47244 of 125334
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelntrigger View Post

 

ffffuuuu.gifWhy are people so damn dumb!!?? Some of my shirts had the damn tag punched through the fabric, but shoes???!!! Are you for realZZZZZZZZ!!!????

 

 

Yes.  These people are idiots.  I even tried to explain why punching holes through the side of quality dress shoes was a crime against humanity, but the staff basically responded with "It's just a little hole."  It's not like Allen Edmonds are that common around the Cincinnati area that idiot taggers can ruin them with these blasted tags.  

post #47245 of 125334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Erickson View Post

another thrift fit, I am going to crosspost this in the good taste thread because I am seeking critique

I no Spoo, and should be seeking critique more than giving it, but here's what occurs to me:
Who exactly are you meeting with? Actual elected officials? Staffers? Someone else? If the first, then there is no debate: wear a suit. Straight up. White shirt, conservative tie. If you're going to wear separates, at least go basic: Navy blazer/SC, gray trou, white shirt, muted tie (maybe classy stripes). If the latter, you can loosen things up a bit. But not this much.

This look says summer hipster hamptons to me. I think it's a combo of the suede shoes, no-break trou, bright colored shirt, buckled belt and colored watch band. Maybe try a patterned shirt -- windowpane with a white or blue ground would work nicely -- and either sand or gray trou. Shoes, think something that can be shined. If -- IF -- you're going to go with a square, at your age, go plain white linen. And button your shirt up to the first button below the collar.

Notice I said nothing about le femme. You dress right (not over, not under) and have the right attitude, the ladies will take care of themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

Ladies and Gents, today we embark on another journey - . . . Stay tuned, on these are the thrifts of our lives...
lol8[1].gif
Friday night whiskey, Spooster? Personally, I'm indulging in my Friday night martini: Hendricks, Belvedere vodka, a whiff of martini and two onions.
OK, so I know technically that's a Gibson. Effing sue me!
post #47246 of 125334
haha as soon as i'm done with work i'm having a mexicutioner margarita. tequila, ice, a squeeze or two of lemon. also, a TINY splash of club soda. you know, because i'm not a drunk or anything.

and +1 what GMMcL said: if you're meeting with bigwigs, suit and tie, no questions asked.
post #47247 of 125334
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMcL View Post


I no Spoo, and should be seeking critique more than giving it, but here's what occurs to me:
Who exactly are you meeting with? Actual elected officials? Staffers? Someone else? If the first, then there is no debate: wear a suit. Straight up. White shirt, conservative tie. If you're going to wear separates, at least go basic: Navy blazer/SC, gray trou, white shirt, muted tie (maybe classy stripes). If the latter, you can loosen things up a bit. But not this much.
This look says summer hipster hamptons to me. I think it's a combo of the suede shoes, no-break trou, bright colored shirt, buckled belt and colored watch band. Maybe try a patterned shirt -- windowpane with a white or blue ground would work nicely -- and either sand or gray trou. Shoes, think something that can be shined. If -- IF -- you're going to go with a square, at your age, go plain white linen. And button your shirt up to the first button below the collar.
Notice I said nothing about le femme. You dress right (not over, not under) and have the right attitude, the ladies will take care of themselves.
 

No I am not meeting with any officials, I have a grey suit, navy blazer and plenty of conservative dress shirts and ties for those occasions. I agree with the trousers but unfortunatley it is hard to find pants with my waist and a long enough inseam. I also agree on shoes but my options are rather limited there as well, I have a pair of black loafers, and a pair of brown captoe oxfords, would either of those work? I WISH i had a plain white linen square but have yet to find one thrifting or on ebay and do not have the inclination to make one. I also should probably do up one more button on the shirt but I was wearing it earlier today and it was really hot out and I forgot to button it up one more for the picture, although I think the color works. the belt is the only one I have at the moment :/

post #47248 of 125334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Erickson View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMcL View Post


I no Spoo, and should be seeking critique more than giving it, but here's what occurs to me:
Who exactly are you meeting with? Actual elected officials? Staffers? Someone else? If the first, then there is no debate: wear a suit. Straight up. White shirt, conservative tie. If you're going to wear separates, at least go basic: Navy blazer/SC, gray trou, white shirt, muted tie (maybe classy stripes). If the latter, you can loosen things up a bit. But not this much.
This look says summer hipster hamptons to me. I think it's a combo of the suede shoes, no-break trou, bright colored shirt, buckled belt and colored watch band. Maybe try a patterned shirt -- windowpane with a white or blue ground would work nicely -- and either sand or gray trou. Shoes, think something that can be shined. If -- IF -- you're going to go with a square, at your age, go plain white linen. And button your shirt up to the first button below the collar.
Notice I said nothing about le femme. You dress right (not over, not under) and have the right attitude, the ladies will take care of themselves.
 

No I am not meeting with any officials, I have a grey suit, navy blazer and plenty of conservative dress shirts and ties for those occasions. I agree with the trousers but unfortunatley it is hard to find pants with my waist and a long enough inseam. I also agree on shoes but my options are rather limited there as well, I have a pair of black loafers, and a pair of brown captoe oxfords, would either of those work? I WISH i had a plain white linen square but have yet to find one thrifting or on ebay and do not have the inclination to make one. I also should probably do up one more button on the shirt but I was wearing it earlier today and it was really hot out and I forgot to button it up one more for the picture, although I think the color works. the belt is the only one I have at the moment :/

 

I thought the look was great. And — bonus — the cool thing is this (and I wish it still applied for me, but, alas, I am old)... When you're a teenager, you can pretty much violate any codified belief regarding how to dress anyway.

post #47249 of 125334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post

When you're a teenager, you can pretty much violate any codified belief regarding how to dress anyway.

I agree with this, but how much is based on allowances for the impetuousness of youth? I read Ian's intent to avoid that.

Based on what Ian said he had, I'd do a navy blazer, gray trou, white shirt. I'd then take one of the conservative ties with me in my inside jacket pocket (preferably rolled, to avoid creasing). If the consensus seems to be to wear ties, I can slip it on casually, and make it seem like "hey, I always intended to wear it but I didn't want to strangle myself on the way there!" Now, the shoes present a harder problem. My inclination is to go black loafers over brown cap toes, since the oxfords will be way too formal for the gray trou and navy sc. If it were me, that's what I'd do. But there are others on here who know better than me, so I defer to them.
post #47250 of 125334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Erickson View Post

another thrift fit, I am going to crosspost this in the good taste thread because I am seeking critique
I am figuring out what to wear to a casual youth in government luncheon at the state capital
also I promise I am not one of those douchy high schoolers that wears a blazer and loafers everyday, I wear jeans, flannels, and leather jackets most of the time

HELP ME!? how do I  impress and schmooze with old dirt bag politicians and also impress girl of high school age?!

the deets...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMcL View Post


Friday night whiskey, Spooster? Personally, I'm indulging in my Friday night martini: Hendricks, Belvedere vodka, a whiff of martini and two onions.
OK, so I know technically that's a Gibson. Effing sue me!

Actually this is the most sober ive been on a Friday night in a long time - my babysitter couldnt work tonight. ffffuuuu.gif So, Ian gets a lucid response.

Age has nothing to do with dressing well in a proper social function. You can dress however the devil cares for day settings and parties and what not, blame it on the impetuousness of youth or rebellion. But if you are attending something that has an impact on your future career and lays groundwork for something that directly affects monetary gain, do your best.

This means : do NOT roll your pant cuffs. Have them hemmed at the proper length. Make sure everything you are wearing is pressed. Dont wear anything you have seen in the peacock thread. Play the colors safe - stick with a white or blue shirt (pressed), and a striped or solid tie. Do not wear a pocket square. Wear a solid blue or pinstripe suit or a security guard look. Fit is paramount, you should by no means look like you are wearing your fathers clothing or the clothing of a dead/outgrown man you found with a yellow tag stapled through the lapel on it. Labels are meaningless for this as the odds of someone asking you if the spalla camicia on your jacket is Attolini or Isaia happening are as slim as finding a Rolex in the pocket of a thrifted pair of RLPL pants. Wear your best fitting outfit, be clean shaven, and take the knowledge you have and skill set you have acquired this far in your education and let your personality do the talking for you. Many times you see people wearing the most expensive clothes in the world and they dont resonate. They have no gravitas. You need to feel confident in well fitting, good looking clothing. You wont be confident in an ill fitting Kiton suit, this I promise you. Now go shave, clean that nasty fucking dribble thats going down your mirror, press your shirt, brush your teeth, practice your best movie star smile, and go out and get the dopest chick in the room and impress some politicians. Resume thrifting the following day.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread