or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 3132

post #46966 of 110478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mox C View Post


From what I've seen, it doesn't work like that. Sure, there are stores and areas that are better than others, but a large part of it is random chance. I was finding very little at on of my local stores, but I kept it in my rotation. Then one day, *Wham!* — new 1982 Grenson balmorals for $20 that fit me perfectly. I found three pairs of shoes for myself that weekend. The odds just fall in weird patterns like that.
Some stores get donations from the immediate area, others from a central distribution, and others a combination of the two. If you are really interested in doing this, visit them ALL for yourself. Do the work, and it is work. It may be fun work for some of us, but when you see a post from Andro, Brian, or any of the other guys showcasing a week's worth of treasures, you don't see all the times that they may have walked out of a store with nothing in hand. Some guys will also do a mix of thrift, estate sales, garage sales, live/online auctions, discounters, and so on. They generally don't walk out of just a store or two with armfuls of Italian suits.
Give it a while before you make a judgement as to the quality of drops, especially if you are coming up on a seasonal change. A lot of store are rotating in fall items right now that they've been holding on to in the back. Talk to the people working in the store to see what kind of intake they have (local, central) and if they have any kind of schedule or just put out pieces as they get them. A lot of stores have a rotating color sale. Keep track of the color of the week so you know what's coming up for the next week. If you find a suit with a $20 blue tag that you are on the fence about, and blue will be on sale the next day, it might be worth waiting if you can get to the store early the next morning.
Above all, it takes patience and perseverance. It's not a get-rich quick plan, despite the great finds you may see here. It's not even a get-clothed-quick plan, unless you are willing to wear just anything. You can just stop in a store when the mood hits and see what they have, and that's a fun way to do it, but that's not what these guys are doing. They are making the consistent great finds because they are maximizing their odds of finding great stuff, and it's more than just what store to shop at.
--
As barrelntrigger says, have fun with it. Keeping expectations low goes a long way with that.

 

+1 and +1 again.

post #46967 of 110478

NM.


Edited by TheNeedMachine - 9/12/12 at 9:53am
post #46968 of 110478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mox C View Post


From what I've seen, it doesn't work like that. Sure, there are stores and areas that are better than others, but a large part of it is random chance. I was finding very little at on of my local stores, but I kept it in my rotation. Then one day, *Wham!* — new 1982 Grenson balmorals for $20 that fit me perfectly. I found three pairs of shoes for myself that weekend. The odds just fall in weird patterns like that.
Some stores get donations from the immediate area, others from a central distribution, and others a combination of the two. If you are really interested in doing this, visit them ALL for yourself. Do the work, and it is work. It may be fun work for some of us, but when you see a post from Andro, Brian, or any of the other guys showcasing a week's worth of treasures, you don't see all the times that they may have walked out of a store with nothing in hand. Some guys will also do a mix of thrift, estate sales, garage sales, live/online auctions, discounters, and so on. They generally don't walk out of just a store or two with armfuls of Italian suits.
Give it a while before you make a judgement as to the quality of drops, especially if you are coming up on a seasonal change. A lot of store are rotating in fall items right now that they've been holding on to in the back. Talk to the people working in the store to see what kind of intake they have (local, central) and if they have any kind of schedule or just put out pieces as they get them. A lot of stores have a rotating color sale. Keep track of the color of the week so you know what's coming up for the next week. If you find a suit with a $20 blue tag that you are on the fence about, and blue will be on sale the next day, it might be worth waiting if you can get to the store early the next morning.
Above all, it takes patience and perseverance. It's not a get-rich quick plan, despite the great finds you may see here. It's not even a get-clothed-quick plan, unless you are willing to wear just anything. You can just stop in a store when the mood hits and see what they have, and that's a fun way to do it, but that's not what these guys are doing. They are making the consistent great finds because they are maximizing their odds of finding great stuff, and it's more than just what store to shop at.
--
As barrelntrigger says, have fun with it. Keeping expectations low goes a long way with that.

bruh I know how thrifting works, all I wanted was a heads up on stores in sf because it is a new place to thrift for me, in my area some stores consistently deliver better stuff than others that is all I meant by "grail spewing"

post #46969 of 110478

Hey Y'all - long time no talk to. 

 

Which one of you crazy thrifting motherfuckers made this piece of awesome?

 

http://www.buzzfeed.com/briancassidy/rap-song-about-going-thrifting-by-macklemore-and-r-2hr

post #46970 of 110478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Erickson View Post

bruh I know how thrifting works,
I think Mox was providing a helpful overview of the hobby both for you and any other relative newcomers out there. I don't think he meant anything personal/confrontational. And I thought it was well said.


On a separate note: Passed on a pair of Bally cordovan-colored (possibly shell but I think they were calf) slip ons (possibly kilted) yesterday at what I'll call "consignment" pricing (think: north of a Jackson, but not by much). Happy to proxy if anyone is interested (sorry; don't recall size).
post #46971 of 110478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mox C View Post


From what I've seen, it doesn't work like that. Sure, there are stores and areas that are better than others, but a large part of it is random chance. I was finding very little at on of my local stores, but I kept it in my rotation. Then one day, *Wham!* — new 1982 Grenson balmorals for $20 that fit me perfectly. I found three pairs of shoes for myself that weekend. The odds just fall in weird patterns like that.
Some stores get donations from the immediate area, others from a central distribution, and others a combination of the two. If you are really interested in doing this, visit them ALL for yourself. Do the work, and it is work. It may be fun work for some of us, but when you see a post from Andro, Brian, or any of the other guys showcasing a week's worth of treasures, you don't see all the times that they may have walked out of a store with nothing in hand. Some guys will also do a mix of thrift, estate sales, garage sales, live/online auctions, discounters, and so on. They generally don't walk out of just a store or two with armfuls of Italian suits.
Give it a while before you make a judgement as to the quality of drops, especially if you are coming up on a seasonal change. A lot of store are rotating in fall items right now that they've been holding on to in the back. Talk to the people working in the store to see what kind of intake they have (local, central) and if they have any kind of schedule or just put out pieces as they get them. A lot of stores have a rotating color sale. Keep track of the color of the week so you know what's coming up for the next week. If you find a suit with a $20 blue tag that you are on the fence about, and blue will be on sale the next day, it might be worth waiting if you can get to the store early the next morning.
Above all, it takes patience and perseverance. It's not a get-rich quick plan, despite the great finds you may see here. It's not even a get-clothed-quick plan, unless you are willing to wear just anything. You can just stop in a store when the mood hits and see what they have, and that's a fun way to do it, but that's not what these guys are doing. They are making the consistent great finds because they are maximizing their odds of finding great stuff, and it's more than just what store to shop at.
--
As barrelntrigger says, have fun with it. Keeping expectations low goes a long way with that.

 

+1

 

I have tremendous respect for all the guys who are willing to put in hard work to maximize their chances of finding grails. I, on the other hand, am largely doing it for the thrill of discovering treasure while not planning far ahead. That makes thrifting fun and not so much as a chore!

post #46972 of 110478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Erickson View Post

bruh I know how thrifting works, all I wanted was a heads up on stores in sf because it is a new place to thrift for me, in my area some stores consistently deliver better stuff than others that is all I meant by "grail spewing"

Do you??

post #46973 of 110478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mox C View Post


 If you are really interested in doing this, visit them ALL for yourself. Do the work, and it is work. It may be fun work for some of us, but when you see a post from Andro, Brian, or any of the other guys showcasing a week's worth of treasures, you don't see all the times that they may have walked out of a store with nothing in hand.

+1...I left all three of my morning stops empty handed today....no worries, there is still hope for the evening stops.

post #46974 of 110478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Abed View Post

Aren't those known as James Bond/turnback cuffs?

Correct, also known as cocktail cuffs. Been looking for one for a while in white or blue, very rare, not many companies make those anymore - nice find!

 

Thrift fit with tailoring question for anyone interested:

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

I know the sleeves need to be let out a bit, but do you think I should get the waist nipped a bit? There is some natural waist suppression, but not sure if I should get it further taken in.

 

 

Coat - Polo by Corneliani (flax/wool blend - Ebay for $25)

Shirt - J Press (thrifted)

Pants - RLPL (thrifted)

Socks - Byford (STP)

Belt  - Brooks Brothers (thrifted)

Shoes - AE Waldens (AE sale)

 

post #46975 of 110478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton Dockers View Post

Correct, also known as cocktail cuffs. Been looking for one for a while in white or blue, very rare, not many companies make those anymore - nice find!

 

Thrift fit with tailoring question for anyone interested:

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

I know the sleeves need to be let out a bit, but do you think I should get the waist nipped a bit? There is some natural waist suppression, but not sure if I should get it further taken in.

 

 

Coat - Polo by Corneliani (flax/wool blend - Ebay for $25)

Shirt - J Press (thrifted)

Pants - RLPL (thrifted)

Socks - Byford (STP)

Belt  - Brooks Brothers (thrifted)

Shoes - AE Waldens (AE sale)

 

 

Could maybe be taken in a bit at the waist... Hard to tell really when you have to lift up your arm to take the pic. How much do you trust your tailor? You could ask him / her. 

post #46976 of 110478
Would you guys grab an Alexander McQueen suit?



post #46977 of 110478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Elusive View Post

Would you guys grab an Alexander McQueen suit?
 

 

Yes, if in good shape, and reasonably priced.  Should be flippable on Ebay for a few bucks.

post #46978 of 110478
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMcL View Post

I think Mox was providing a helpful overview of the hobby both for you and any other relative newcomers out there. I don't think he meant anything personal/confrontational. And I thought it was well said.
Oh oops I agree it was well said and centainly a helpful overview
post #46979 of 110478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Elusive View Post

Would you guys grab an Alexander McQueen suit?

 

Probably...depends on how much and how old.

post #46980 of 110478
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

























Here's the Schott Jacket I picked ip the other night which will be my tennis ball desmoking experiment. More pics above in spoiler...
 


This looks like the coat that Ritchie Aprile gave to Tony (maybe it was longer).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread