Originally Posted by Nataku
Versace - If suit, grab. If jacket, pass if it's dull looking. If it's an FU jacket, than go with your gut. Could go either way.
Lorenzini has little resale value, as I've learned in the past. Graham for $35 is a toughie. Lots of embroideries and wild colors, grab. Dull, lackluster - leave it.
Deal is: I hit a bunch of consignment shops today plus a massively overpriced GW (everyone near Connecticut knows where I'm talking about). Amazing what kind of sticker shock you can develop after hitting exclusively thrifts for a few months. I saw so much good stuff. Zegna 7 fold. Kiton (7 fold, of course; a first in the wild for me). A half dozen Hermes. At least a dozen each Th. Pink and CT, mostly Sea Island or better. Another half dozen Paul Stuart by Samuelsohn orphans, then, at another store, another half dozen suits. Brooks Brothers made in England wings that had potential despite resoling and substantial age. Squares by Liberty of London. There was a beautiful recent HF brown plaid suit -- double vent, 3 roll 2, pick stitched, working cuffs -- that was half price and therefore justifiable for personal use, but it was just a hair too small (not to mention pleated). Damn shame. And then there was the Lorenzini (another first for me), the Graham and the Versace. But by far the sweetest, sweetest items were a pair of HF custom overcoats in brown and taupe. Word was that the consignor is a sales rep for the company in the area. He gets the stuff custom done, then consigns it and makes back his cost. These things were so awesome, and so my size: Single breast, velvet collar, peak lapel, pick stitching EVERYWHERE, ticket pocket. Probably reasonably priced for what they were, but I couldn't justify it. Damn shame, because I looked almost as good as Spoo in them. OK, well, except for the extra 40 pounds, the beat to shit AEs (as opposed to G&Gs) and the conspicuous absence of Tehrm Fehrd anywhere on my person.
I may go back for that Versace -- at least to take pics. It was at the same place as the Graham, which I'm regretting leaving, and the HF overcoats. Versace was peak lapel, single breast and dual vent. Looked shorter, so I suspect recent. I suspect it was just a jacket, because the top row at this place is mostly SCs, and it it was in among them. What say Spoo?
In the end I came home with (pics soon, I hope):
- 1 RLPL tie, purple with gold hunting horn "polka dot" design (temporarily unavailablle)
- 1 pair BB 1818 braces in navy with a white tail piece -- literally the only set of braces I've ever seen and liked. Left several others. (prolly available; don't wear 'em)
- 1 Kempson obviously bespoke shirt. Shit cray. Can't even describe it, but the sleeves are a different color from the shirt. No idea whether I'll be able to move it, but it seemed to unique to pass (prolly available; wrong size, I think)
- 1 fall colored square, Italian silk, maker unknown
- 3 obviously bespoke white textured shirts, spread collar, pearl buttons. Need to measure, but looks in the 15.5 range. If that be your size, and you need awesome white shirts, get at me. These things are quite nice. No maker mark anywhere, buts a plain white hand-sewn in placket where the brand label usually goes. (obv. available)
The temptation to overpay
buy for myself was pretty strong at a couple of points today, but I'm proud of myself that I resisted. If, however, I happen to sleep walk back to the store and get one of those two HF overcoats, I won't be broken up about it.
If anyone cares, I can try to go back and proxy later this weekend. Most of the decent shirts were in the 15-16 (size; price was mostly $25) range.