or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 3050

post #45736 of 125113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan954 View Post

Nothing super awesome worth posting, but here are several of my recent finds.

 

Got this but I am 60% sure that it is fake. Got it for nothing though and it's my size so I couldn't leave it behind. The feel is right, but the label just seems off to me (cashmere in Hong Kong??? and the second label not being separated...). Anyone able to authenticate, or crush my dreams? (N/A)

 

Label (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

Looks real to me.  I flip a fair amount of Polo RL and have come across a couple fakes.  Real will have the tags attached by the same color thread as the garment itself.  If it has an embroidered horse & rider, it will be detailed and almost 3-dimensional (not flat which is how 99% of fakes look).  Made in HK, even cashmere, is not a red flag for me.  Not sure what you mean about the 2nd label not being separated - I see 3 labels there, and they will sometimes be attached under the main label, or off to the side between neck & shoulder.  Looks fine by me.

post #45737 of 125113
Dolfan...great haul...lots of stuff in my size smile.gif

I think the RL sweater looks legit. Most fake's are either the gaudy items or popular ones. I doubt people are clamoring for fake white cable knit sweaters.
post #45738 of 125113
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLnoob View Post

 

Looks real to me.  I flip a fair amount of Polo RL and have come across a couple fakes.  Real will have the tags attached by the same color thread as the garment itself.  If it has an embroidered horse & rider, it will be detailed and almost 3-dimensional (not flat which is how 99% of fakes look).  Made in HK, even cashmere, is not a red flag for me.  Not sure what you mean about the 2nd label not being separated - I see 3 labels there, and they will sometimes be attached under the main label, or off to the side between neck & shoulder.  Looks fine by me.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkidd41011 View Post

Dolfan...great haul...lots of stuff in my size smile.gif
I think the RL sweater looks legit. Most fake's are either the gaudy items or popular ones. I doubt people are clamoring for fake white cable knit sweaters.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelntrigger View Post

 

Regarding the Polo, I've seen plenty of those made in HK and the tag looks pretty consistent. Looks good to me. 

icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

+1 Good.

post #45739 of 125113
Decent day today. Took my brother out with me to show him some of the tricks of the trade. He must have been my lucky charm because today was a good day. All are available except for the BB linen shirt. It fits me perfectly and I've been looking for a linen shirt all summer. I swear, I saw more linen shirts today (6) then I ever have. Going back tomorrow to pick up a Sammy navy blazer. Side vented. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

BB linen shirt.


VV tie. Surprisingly, this is one of the first VV ties I've found.


Bergdorf Goodman Tailored fit linen shirt. Large.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


The highlight. My first! Grail find for me!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

post #45740 of 125113
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

So what's the saying?

 

The old saying about London's buses: You wait for ages, then two come along one after the other.
post #45741 of 125113

Found this in the woman's section today, it is very soft but I can't find any tags on it for whether it is good wool or cashmere and I'm pretty new to the game and not an expert like some of you, anyone help?

 

post #45742 of 125113
I went back and dropped $15 on this Tissot from yesterday. Beat to hell but there are some tells that indicate it is legit. More later, gotta scoot for now.

IMG_20120825_114811.jpg

IMG_20120825_114842.jpg

IMG_20120825_114952.jpg
post #45743 of 125113
There is a NWOT Oxford three piece suit at My Sisters Closet in Scottsdale, size 42L, kind of a light tan/olive glenn plaid for $245.00 FYI.
post #45744 of 125113
Brooks Bros clearance center report!

On my most recent trip to the BBCC in rural NC I was in communication with a few of you i-gents (hello Brianpore) to see if I could pick up some hard to find sizes of staple items (mostly OCBDs, the place was crammed full of them in the early part of the summer). Alas, that's the nature of going to a place like this, the stock had really turned over, and selection was much more poor this go around. However, if you wanted this particular striped shirt:

photo-1.jpg

lordy, there were tons of them!

Still though, always a fun place to visit, because you look in the back corner and see this, and just wonder what those boxes hold.....

bbboxes.jpg

Nonetheless, I did pick up a few cool things like ties.....

DSC_0011-1.jpg
DSC_0010.jpg
and shirts
DSC_0001-2.jpg

...which can be found over on the B&S (see my signature).
post #45745 of 125113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweets View Post

Found this in the woman's section today, it is very soft but I can't find any tags on it for whether it is good wool or cashmere and I'm pretty new to the game and not an expert like some of you, anyone help?

 

Alpaca - the super fiber. Cannot really tell from the low resolution of your photos any additional details. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow View Post

I went back and dropped $15 on this Tissot from yesterday. Beat to hell but there are some tells that indicate it is legit. More later, gotta scoot for now.
IMG_20120825_114811.jpg
IMG_20120825_114842.jpg
IMG_20120825_114952.jpg

Why would you think that it is not authentic? You may want to check out the sf cheap watch thread. 

post #45746 of 125113
Any Vintage Zegna experts?

Thrifted this today, without much inspection.
Is this real?
Clues:
- Tags says Ermenegildo Zegna Paris but white tag says made in Italy?
- Old Zegna tag and has anyone ever seen the "E Z Paris" logo as per pic below?
- Waistband in pants is brand new
- Pants are flat front , if it was as old as tags indicates, wouldnt it have pleats?
- No tags in pants
- Lining in pants is strange for lack of a better word
- Tag in the collar that usually says where it was made was removed.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)





post #45747 of 125113
Low on quantity lately, but pretty good on quality.

Vintage Sulka tie in mint condition.

SULKAPURP.jpg
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
SULKAPURP1.jpg

Shell cordovan AE Cambridge full brogues. 11 B

aecam.jpg
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
aecam4.jpg
aecam5.jpg
post #45748 of 125113
Beautiful shoes Tony. smile.gif
post #45749 of 125113
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjt73106 View Post

Alpaca - the super fiber. Cannot really tell from the low resolution of your photos any additional details. 
Why would you think that it is not authentic? You may want to check out the sf cheap watch thread. 
I know it's not a thousand dollar timepiece but there seems to be a lot of fakes regardless.
post #45750 of 125113
Pry-ed myself out of bed this morning to hit a garage sale. One other woman was standing outside with me waiting. The house owner was out front (the sale was in the back alley where the garage was) on the porch. We waiting until opening time rolled around. Nothing. The women told me she had just come from a sale that never opened and there was quite the crowd of angry people outside. However we both thought something was amiss as there was just the two of us. We then walked around front to speak with the homeowner. He said there was a death in the family and they were going to the funeral today. The sale had been rescheduled. Everyone else seemed to have gotten the memo except this woman and I. Oh well. So up at 9am on a Saturday. Decide to hit some thrifts. Made the morning somewhat worth it.

- Alden split toes. 11 B. Gummy soles. Needs some serious leather conditioner (doing that now).












Trying my hand one more time with Gucci. If this flops, I give up. Real leather. Heavy brass piston lock closure. The only thing that makes me second guess is the inside Gucci label. The # on the back of it is crooked. The way the label is merely a "tab" looks so cheap. You'd think it'd be a leather patch sewn onto the lining. Spoo, please tell me this thing is real. If not, I can return it but will likely give up with all this highly-faked stuff.



Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)








New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread