or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 3011

post #45151 of 109566
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeH View Post

Steve Kane - what color are those trousers? I can't quite tell if they're blue or gray (everybody knows by now that either my monitor or my eyes suck). If they're gray, I would like to talk about them.
... says the guy named for a really classy beer! crackup[1].gif
I agree though, if he'd laid low, I doubt that anyone would have noticed or cared. And we don't have free speech here, we were never told we would.

Well, we can't all sip champagne at the Versace Mansion.....some  of us have to settle for the "champagne of beers" at the local dive bar......lol8[1].gif

 

 

post #45152 of 109566
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazye View Post

Ties, L-R, shetland, seal, solid blue wool, dirty old man. N/A

haha I have that dirty old man tie too, I couldn't pass it up for 99 cents when I saw it.

Also that's a nice haul. (100 posts later, I've been not reading for a day)
Edited by ilikethelights - 8/16/12 at 6:37am
post #45153 of 109566
^^^^^hahaha, not sure why I look so intense in my fit pics. biggrin.gif That Dunhill it awesome!
post #45154 of 109566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klobber View Post

I would not be one to underestimate the power of a sub forum where members have buddied up (particularly through the PM system here or in personal chats via email / Skype, beers at local pub etc). That throws a different spill on the post to brag.
I will be hanging around Styleforum for the forseeable future, but my post counts are on a steady decline and that is purely a reflection that I have other activities distracting me at the moment.
I have stayed quiet on the Frenchy front - I did not know the fellow very well and had little time to form a feeling of dislike or friendship towards him. He certainly appeared to be quite the character, although whether this was really him or an alter ego behind the sanctuary of a keyboard I do not know.
I did not catch his so called comments deriding anything Jewish, so cannot give an opinion on what was written. With people nowadays joining the PC brigade, I would imagine that what he wrote was blown out of proportion. Enlighten me please what was written by Frenchy / Valium that caused this furor so I can understand more where this ban came from (i.e. deserved ban due to unjust bullying / harassment or undeserved due to him just pissing off some thin skinned bigwigs around here).
From the moderator perspective, there is no such thing as an all inclusive policy invoking the totality of free speech. This site could theoretically be shut down if certain topics come up - all it would take are one or two pro-terrorist supporters here to throw Styleforum in chaos and subject to FBI investigation. Same would happen if certain members came out pro-pedophilia in the name of free speech. Free speech is conditioned I presume on the laws of the land, and if racism or racist activity are deemed a serious violation of human rights, then so called free speech in support of this activity would surely be deemed subject to moderation and ban worthy.
Attorneys / lawyer members here, please enlighten me if I am way off base smile.gif

Regarding terrorists and FBI investigations, here is a long-winded description of something that really did happen at AAAC.

There was a tie swap box, open to anyone, with neophytes encouraged to participate. As you might guess, the box ends up with some brand-new guy in California who sits on it. Days turn into weeks with no word. Finally, the joker surfaces, to much public derision, all deserved. There is some back and forth, with this idiot just digging himself a deeper hole, saying, among other things, that he doesn't even like ties in the first place. He promises to send the box along, but it doesn't happen, doesn't happen, doesn't happen. So I get his name and contact info from the person who sent the box to him and send him an email asking him to please send the box and I'll pay the postage if he's strapped. Well. He flames me on the thread, posting my real name, arrest record (it happens) and other stuff from the court docket. It turns into World War III before Mister Pussy whines to a mod, who shuts the thread down. Much behind-the-scenes PM'ing, which results in one of the guys who runs the forum (not Andy, who's a genuinely nice guy) calling me. He had spent an hour on the phone with Mister Pussy, who said that he was afraid for his life because someone on the thread had, jokingly, suggested sending him a package with something ticking inside. Mister Pussy told the mod that he had contacted the police and the FBI to report AAAC as a terrorist organization. And the mod took all of this seriously, saying I and others were to blame for some bozo who stole our tie box. The mod was concerned that Ask Andy would become a target for the feds. Really.

Mister Pussy also told the mod that he had turned the box over to the police. So, in hopes of getting the box back, I called the cops in California, who were very nice. Yup, he'd called police, but no report was taken (I can just imagine that conversation: "This is 911: What's your emergency?") And he hadn't turned the box over to the cops. He told the cops he'd donated it to some unknown thrift store. I PM'd the mod with my findings and guess what? Instead of doing the normal human thing and dismissing Mister Pussy as a stupid-ass pussy, the tie-swap thread was combed for any and all comments deemed untoward, put under monitoring with a whole bunch of tie-swap rules invented. The final insult was a lecture from Mister Asshole Moderator, who told everyone who had participated on the tie swap that they were out of line. Mister Pussy, who lied about sending the box and lied about giving it to the cops, never surfaced again.

That was when I quit AAAC, except for posting stuff on the thrift exchange. Lots of other folks who were valuable contributors quit about the same time for various reasons, all having to do with mods behaving like nitwits, banning folks who didn't deserve it and defending people who were assholes and issuing infractions to people who spoke truth.
post #45155 of 109566

I left this because the line was really long, and I needed to get back to work. I can go back tomorrow and pick it up if there's interest, which there should be because this is INSANE. Turns out Stanley Ley is a legal outiftter: http://www.stanley-ley.co.uk/

 

I'm guessing this is a 38-39 longish Regular or regular Long. No pants, but it's not a full tux, just a dinner jacket, right? Oh, the date is Dec 77.

 

Working cuffs, pic stitching, substantial material...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #45156 of 109566
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazye View Post


I have this sick nagging feeling that I've seen this tag before and passed it up because I didn't know what it was. shog[1].gif
post #45157 of 109566
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnutpug View Post

Regarding terrorists and FBI investigations, here is a long-winded description of something that really did happen at AAAC.
There was a tie swap box, open to anyone, with neophytes encouraged to participate. As you might guess, the box ends up with some brand-new guy in California who sits on it. Days turn into weeks with no word. Finally, the joker surfaces, to much public derision, all deserved. There is some back and forth, with this idiot just digging himself a deeper hole, saying, among other things, that he doesn't even like ties in the first place. He promises to send the box along, but it doesn't happen, doesn't happen, doesn't happen. So I get his name and contact info from the person who sent the box to him and send him an email asking him to please send the box and I'll pay the postage if he's strapped. Well. He flames me on the thread, posting my real name, arrest record (it happens) and other stuff from the court docket. It turns into World War III before Mister Pussy whines to a mod, who shuts the thread down. Much behind-the-scenes PM'ing, which results in one of the guys who runs the forum (not Andy, who's a genuinely nice guy) calling me. He had spent an hour on the phone with Mister Pussy, who said that he was afraid for his life because someone on the thread had, jokingly, suggested sending him a package with something ticking inside. Mister Pussy told the mod that he had contacted the police and the FBI to report AAAC as a terrorist organization. And the mod took all of this seriously, saying I and others were to blame for some bozo who stole our tie box. The mod was concerned that Ask Andy would become a target for the feds. Really.
Mister Pussy also told the mod that he had turned the box over to the police. So, in hopes of getting the box back, I called the cops in California, who were very nice. Yup, he'd called police, but no report was taken (I can just imagine that conversation: "This is 911: What's your emergency?") And he hadn't turned the box over to the cops. He told the cops he'd donated it to some unknown thrift store. I PM'd the mod with my findings and guess what? Instead of doing the normal human thing and dismissing Mister Pussy as a stupid-ass pussy, the tie-swap thread was combed for any and all comments deemed untoward, put under monitoring with a whole bunch of tie-swap rules invented. The final insult was a lecture from Mister Asshole Moderator, who told everyone who had participated on the tie swap that they were out of line. Mister Pussy, who lied about sending the box and lied about giving it to the cops, never surfaced again.
That was when I quit AAAC, except for posting stuff on the thrift exchange. Lots of other folks who were valuable contributors quit about the same time for various reasons, all having to do with mods behaving like nitwits, banning folks who didn't deserve it and defending people who were assholes and issuing infractions to people who spoke truth.

Wow, some people. And just for a couple ties too.
post #45158 of 109566
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadBoy View Post

 

Picked up this Gianni Versace tie today. AnySpoo Anyone idea what the numbers are all about?

 

I used to collect postage stamps as a kid - that's what they remind me of - especially the 2 1/2 from back when the US had ha'-pennies (half pennies)...but they look more like foreign tax stamps or something along those lines, to me...

post #45159 of 109566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stissius View Post

Holy crap Eazy and Jp, awesome stuff. I thought I had a good day today.



The North Face vintage down vest L
If anyone could give me some info on this (especially if it's real/fake), I'd appreciate it. I only picked it up because I thought it was cool

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

I need to join the night crew here. Love the pockets on that.
post #45160 of 109566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klobber View Post

I would not be one to underestimate the power of a sub forum where members have buddied up (particularly through the PM system here or in personal chats via email / Skype, beers at local pub etc). That throws a different spill on the post to brag.
I will be hanging around Styleforum for the forseeable future, but my post counts are on a steady decline and that is purely a reflection that I have other activities distracting me at the moment.
I have stayed quiet on the Frenchy front - I did not know the fellow very well and had little time to form a feeling of dislike or friendship towards him. He certainly appeared to be quite the character, although whether this was really him or an alter ego behind the sanctuary of a keyboard I do not know.
I did not catch his so called comments deriding anything Jewish, so cannot give an opinion on what was written. With people nowadays joining the PC brigade, I would imagine that what he wrote was blown out of proportion. Enlighten me please what was written by Frenchy / Valium that caused this furor so I can understand more where this ban came from (i.e. deserved ban due to unjust bullying / harassment or undeserved due to him just pissing off some thin skinned bigwigs around here).
From the moderator perspective, there is no such thing as an all inclusive policy invoking the totality of free speech. This site could theoretically be shut down if certain topics come up - all it would take are one or two pro-terrorist supporters here to throw Styleforum in chaos and subject to FBI investigation. Same would happen if certain members came out pro-pedophilia in the name of free speech. Free speech is conditioned I presume on the laws of the land, and if racism or racist activity are deemed a serious violation of human rights, then so called free speech in support of this activity would surely be deemed subject to moderation and ban worthy.
Attorneys / lawyer members here, please enlighten me if I am way off base smile.gif

The right to "freedom of speech" (and subsequently interpreted "freedom of expression") as provided in the First Amendment only applies to government actions. It has no bearing on how private actors (corporations or humans) behave. For example, a private employer can restrict your speech by forbidding you from saying certain things and can monitor your communications in ways that a government cannot (or can under other constitutional or contractual grounds). So a privately operated forum can essentially kick or ban you to their heart's content. Of course, forum visitors have a few choices to prevent unilateral abuse of a moderator's discretion - protesting, protesting by leaving (thus depriving the forum of the value of their comments, participation, and knowledge), and telling others about how the goodwill of the site is being damaged by said moderator without any oversight by the site owner/creator.

Moderating is not an easy task, and moderators are often relegated to being little more than a referee cum babysitter. That said, I think SF does a fairly good job of keeping the peace without heavy-handed tactics.
post #45161 of 109566

Found these BB shell loafers (12B) yesterday:

 

Before:

 

 

After:

 

Any ideas on the maker? It says "made in the USA" so it has to be Alden or AE, right? The script on the insole doesn't match the usual Alden model, so does that mean it is AE? Soles have been resoled with a "Toscano by Global Super Prime" sole.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Also, these to VV mermaid D-ring belts (Small - both available):

 

post #45162 of 109566
A lot of great things have been posted lately. Well done on the Brioni, Eazy.

I have a few things from today...

Armani Collezioni shirt. Great condition, snaps under collar and shell buttons. Available.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Paul Smith French cuffed shirt. Nothing too crazy about it.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

The World of Charlie Parker, 1966. I don't think this is worth anything, but it was in near perfect condition and it's something I'd like to listen to once I stop procrastinating and get a system up and running.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

This is for me, nothing too special as far as brands go (Max Calvin), but it fits well. 100% linen, partially lined and patch pockets.

post #45163 of 109566

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton Dockers View Post

Found these BB shell loafers (12B) yesterday:

 

Before:

 

 

After:

 

Any ideas on the maker? It says "made in the USA" so it has to be Alden or AE, right? The script on the insole doesn't match the usual Alden model, so does that mean it is AE? Soles have been resoled with a "Toscano by Global Super Prime" sole.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Alden for BB. There no mistaking that "x" on the lettering, plus the Alden typical footbed cushioning. You should also see the Made in USA and leather symbol inside the shoe on the footbed near the ball. Typical on all Aldens.\

 

 

Doesn't always say Alden though.

post #45164 of 109566
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

Alden for BB. There no mistaking that "x" on the lettering.

 

Awesome. Thanks, Wes.

post #45165 of 109566
^ Right. That model has only ever been made by Alden. The Toscano Super Prime are a standard replacement sole used by repair shops. B. Nelson uses them as their second-best replacement sole option.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread