or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 2997

post #44941 of 115146
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlifeman View Post

I think that is the "drop", i.e. drop 7 in the case of your jacket, which, is a pretty typical drop- in inches or cm. If the jacket is a 44(in), the waist on the pants would be @ 37"...should work the same in centimeters/Euro sizing (54-7= 47cm, x2/2.54= appx 37"). It generally applies to suits, and that jacket looks like it is probably a suit orphan. You will will see a drop listed on true sport coats as well- I have heard that it can refer to the waist measurement of the jacket in that case, but not really sure if that is totally correct.

 

Thanks a lot; I wasn't aware of that. :)

post #44942 of 115146

Pal Zileri question:

 

A pretty nice made in italy Loro Piana Tasmanian 100% wool number.  It was unvented and had a hole the size of a pea at the bottom hem (right at the bottom of the jacket). I can just get the hem lifted a 1/4" and the hole would dissapear, right?  50R(EU) so I was originally thinking Grendel but then I put it on and it felt great. 

 

Couple questions:

Can i turn this into a 3r2? Not such a fan of 3 button.

Is this the good PZ? Sorry for the crappy picture but it is the 'Gruppo Forall' line.

Felt great - but I left it until I could get these questions answered and im unfamiliar with PZ

1000

 

1000

post #44943 of 115146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Smith View Post

Pal Zileri question:

 

Couple questions:

Can i turn this into a 3r2? Not such a fan of 3 button.

 

 

I don't think so.  I asked my tailor (who also makes bespoke garments) to do that with one of my jackets, and he said it wouldn't hold up because of the way the lapels are constructed.  

post #44944 of 115146
Quote:
Originally Posted by goneAWOL View Post

I don't think so.  I asked my tailor (who also makes bespoke garments) to do that with one of my jackets, and he said it wouldn't hold up because of the way the lapels are constructed.  

I've had it done before, and it's held up so far.
post #44945 of 115146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Abed View Post

Dispatch from the field. After seeing some of you land pretty nice Filson bags, I've been jonesing for a medium messenger myself.
Well, I didn't quite find one of those, but I did find this. With tags. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
5369B9D7-2497-4A22-935E-C6B9146A4133-39986-00002B620E3230FC.jpg
Sigh, it will have to do. So stoked right now.

Yes, post more pictures! A Billykirk has been my best find I think since I started this. I even thought I was going to sell it till looked at it and couldn't give it up.

(I still really want to find a Filson too)
post #44946 of 115146

Found this nice vintage? Bally briefcase/shoulder bag today. Nicely made, thick leather.

700

700

700

post #44947 of 115146
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46n2 View Post

Found this nice vintage? Bally briefcase/shoulder bag today. Nicely made, thick leather.

700

700

700

Exceptional! worship2.gif

post #44948 of 115146
wish I could bribe about something... everytime i ahve gone has been a failure ;\
post #44949 of 115146
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyyytran View Post

wish I could bribe about something... everytime i ahve gone has been a failure ;\

Try the goodwill in Fall's Church near seven corners, it's been a while since I was there, but normally I found some good stuff, also the goodwill on Arlington Blvd, near the Foreign Service Institue (if you know where that is) has been pretty good to me as well.
post #44950 of 115146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Abed View Post

Dispatch from the field. After seeing some of you land pretty nice Filson bags, I've been jonesing for a medium messenger myself.
Well, I didn't quite find one of those, but I did find this. With tags.
5369B9D7-2497-4A22-935E-C6B9146A4133-39986-00002B620E3230FC.jpg
Sigh, it will have to do. So stoked right now.

 

 

Sorry to blow the suspense, but it's the messenger bag:

 

http://store.billykirk.com/store/product/196MB

 

1000

 

 

Obviously not in natural canvas, but you get the idea.  To be honest, I would much rather find a Billykirk piece than a Filson given that I love the attention to detail and uniqueness of Billykirk stuff.  Their MSRPs are very close to Filson but they change their materials and designs quite a bit to keep things interesting.  Fuck, I can't wait to thrift in LA; it really is going to be mindblowing how much stuff people discard without even using it.

post #44951 of 115146

Tried taking a few pics of the Billykirk but this thing deserves much better shots tomorrow in the sun light. For now, this is the bag... http://thecarry.com/bags/billykirk-196-bag-crew/

 

Appears to have come out almost exactly a year ago. More leather than the above bag Mr. Huxtable posted, the edges are trimmed in leather, and it's seriously heavy waxed canvas...

 

I dig the shit out of this bag compared to the Filson stuff... Not that I've seen their bags in person, but this has a less outdoorsy vibe. I'm wondering where the other 29 of these are out in the world... Or do we think 8/30 was a production date?

 

Cos, lemme know when you come out here, would be fun to see an out-of-towner's reactions to various things in the thrifts here.


Edited by Evil Abed - 8/13/12 at 10:05pm
post #44952 of 115146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Smith View Post

Pal Zileri question:

Is this the good PZ? Sorry for the crappy picture but it is the 'Gruppo Forall' line.
Felt great - but I left it until I could get these questions answered and im unfamiliar with PZ

I'm allso not sure either of the Gruppo Forall line is the good stuff, but I do have a navy blazer from the Forall house brand line that I actually like quite a bit. It's not LP but still very nice fabric, and the cut is nice despite being unvented. That being said, can anyone else chime in on the Gruppo Forall quality for PZ?
post #44953 of 115146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartro View Post

 

Speaking of awesome things, here are a couple more I found at Goodwill yesterday.

 

1000

 

1000

 

Not so sure about "awesome"... looks dated with the 6x1. And with damage to boot, I'd have probably passed. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker4186 View Post


I'm allso not sure either of the Gruppo Forall line is the good stuff, but I do have a navy blazer from the Forall house brand line that I actually like quite a bit. It's not LP but still very nice fabric, and the cut is nice despite being unvented. That being said, can anyone else chime in on the Gruppo Forall quality for PZ?

 

Pretty sure that's the main line. From what I've handled, quality is good, fully canvassed etc. Pal Zileri Sartoriale is a step up, but the other stuff is good too.

post #44954 of 115146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Smith View Post

Pal Zileri question:

 

A pretty nice made in italy Loro Piana Tasmanian 100% wool number.  It was unvented and had a hole the size of a pea at the bottom hem (right at the bottom of the jacket). I can just get the hem lifted a 1/4" and the hole would dissapear, right?  50R(EU) so I was originally thinking Grendel but then I put it on and it felt great. 

 

Couple questions:

Can i turn this into a 3r2? Not such a fan of 3 button.

Is this the good PZ? Sorry for the crappy picture but it is the 'Gruppo Forall' line.

Felt great - but I left it until I could get these questions answered and im unfamiliar with PZ

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

1000

 

1000

 

 

At $5.80, I would of picked it up especially it's made with Loro Piana Tasmanian wool. My tailor told me any LP fabric is $1,300. Get that sucker shortened about 1/2 inch. My tailor charges $30 to shorten a jacket. If it doesn't fit, I'm sure you will find a buyer to pay you at least $50 for that on Ebay.

post #44955 of 115146
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

Cap'ns got a new shine box

I don't think it's old, but it sure is cool!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread