or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 2949

post #44221 of 136644
Here's a question for you gurus of resale:

A friend has just gotten divorced. She wants to sell the diamond in her wedding ring but keep the gold. Diamond is appraised at $6K but she'd be happy with $1.5K.

I told her to throw it on kijiji (local sale, buyer can inspect) but she said she's heard of friends in similar situations and there were no takers.

***Is this a common situation for divorced women?
musicboohoo[1].gif

Anyone have any suggestions?
post #44222 of 136644
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post

I forgot those even existed. You should have brought a flask just in case. That's why suit's have breast pockets, right? nod[1].gif I mean, they aren't used for storing wallets, keys, papers....
We left our wedding reception between 5:00-6:00am. Our alcohol budget surpasses food. No joke.

Our bar tab for our reception in Milwaukee cost more than our actual wedding in Thailand. FYI, Milwaukee is the drunkest city in the country.
post #44223 of 136644
Quote Originally Posted by FaceOfBoh View Post

Here's a question for you gurus of resale:
A friend has just gotten divorced. She wants to sell the diamond in her wedding ring but keep the gold. Diamond is appraised at $6K but she'd be happy with $1.5K.
I told her to throw it on kijiji (local sale, buyer can inspect) but she said she's heard of friends in similar situations and there were no takers.
***Is this a common situation for divorced women?
musicboohoo[1].gif
Anyone have any suggestions?

The appraisal value is for insurance only , no one will ever give you that ammount.  Her best bet is taking it to a shop where they will give her trade value for someting else. (Pawn or Jeweler) 

 

Does she have any certs on the diamond? GIA, AGS?

post #44224 of 136644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mox C View Post


50*2 * 0.3937 = 39.37"
So 39R to 40R
Subtracting ten gets more inaccurate the further you get away from 50R/40R.
60*2 * 0.3937 = 47.24"
60R - 10 gives you 50R, not the actual 47R, so you end up almost 3" off, but it works well enough around the more common sizes.

 

Thanks for posting the formula for EURO-to-US suit/sportcoat conversion ...

US = EURO * 2 * 0.3937

 

Do you have one like this that would work for trousers?

post #44225 of 136644

Hello all,

 

I only started thrifting a few weeks ago, but I finally had a decent day.

 

5 really good condition Ermenegildo Zegna ties

 

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

The black one is definitely my favorite, but all are really cool.

 

Dark blue one does have a stain on the front that can probably come out.

 

I also found these really cool (possibly vintage?) Church's Hand grade saddles.

 

 

700

 

700

 

I googled "Church's Harvard" but couldn't find anything.  

 

Thanks to you all for turning me on to a new hobby!

 

p.s.  Admins, can I request a name change?  When I signed up I didn't realize there was already an EazyE.

post #44226 of 136644
Anyone live near Danville, CA, that could possibly proxy a "Local Pick Up Only" eBay item and have it sent to me? Will reward with proxy fee or some fine menswear.
post #44227 of 136644
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post

Hello all,

I only started thrifting a few weeks ago, but I finally had a decent day.

5 really good condition Ermenegildo Zegna ties














The black one is definitely my favorite, but all are really cool.

Dark blue one does have a stain on the front that can probably come out.

I also found these really cool (possibly vintage?) Church's Hand grade saddles.






I googled "Church's Harvard" but couldn't find anything.
 
Quote:
Thanks to you all for turning me on to a new hobby!

p.s.  Admins, can I request a name change?  When I signed up I didn't realize there was already an EazyE.

It's all good, as long as you don't kop my avatar, I think people will be able to tell us apart. biggrin.gif
post #44228 of 136644
Those Churchs are on a great last. What size are they, I can't make it out?
post #44229 of 136644
upon further review, i am not convinced these are sharkskin. any guesses? i'm pretty srue they're some sort of exotic and not a stamped leather

post #44230 of 136644

Went to a couple places today. Pretty dry out there... All I got was a pair of flat front NWT unhemmed 38 Hickey Freeman dress pants in olive (available)... 

post #44231 of 136644
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainy View Post

upon further review, i am not convinced these are sharkskin. any guesses? i'm pretty srue they're some sort of exotic and not a stamped leather
700

 

My mother wore shoes like these in the 70s. My mother also had feet like a linebacker. And a moustache as well. Maybe those are my mother's shoes. Maybe she was actually my grandfather in disguise. I just dunno.

post #44232 of 136644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post

My mother wore shoes like these in the 70s. My mother also had feet like a linebacker. And a moustache as well. Maybe those are my mother's shoes. Maybe she was actually my grandfather in disguise. I just dunno.
TMI.gif

lol8[1].gif
post #44233 of 136644
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainy View Post

upon further review, i am not convinced these are sharkskin. any guesses? i'm pretty srue they're some sort of exotic and not a stamped leather
700

Indeed they are, and quite valuable, if you have patience to wait for the right buyer.

 

 Check them out here

http://issuu.com/allenedmonds/docs/spring-1978-catalog

Page 27.

post #44234 of 136644
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

Indeed they are, and quite valuable, if you have patience to wait for the right buyer.

 

 Check them out here

http://issuu.com/allenedmonds/docs/spring-1978-catalog

Page 27.

 

That's crazy! How'd you find that?

post #44235 of 136644
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelntrigger View Post

 

looking good, Wes. Diggin that beard.

Thanks B&T

I've had a beard of some sort costantly for 15 years now, My wife has never seen me without it. I guess I grow it to prove I can still grow hair on my head....since I obviously can not grow it on top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel View Post

Nice look! How'd the feet hold up in the wingtips?

They fit nicely, but could not fit the inserts. I am definitely paying the price now, but I felt good about the way I looked. I don't get to say that a lot.

 

Thanks everyone for the compliments. On the brighter side...the pants on the suit I wore (which I just only recently could fit into), are now becoming a bit too big.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread