or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 2826

post #42376 of 115860
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnutpug View Post


I took advantage of this, but the trees most recently offered by JAB are not split-toe, unlike the AE's I'm familiar with.

 

Just bought a pair of Strands in Walnut with the trees from AE, their trees are not split toe anymore and are $24.95:

 

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/ProductDisplay?storeId=1&partNumber=SF604&expDataUniqueID=1290000&expDataType=CatalogEntryId&langId=-1&catalogId=40000000001

 

On a side note, if you have any older AE shoe trees and they are cracked, AE will replace them for free.

post #42377 of 115860
Wow been gone for a while, and come back to 40-50 pages of stuff I had to catch up on.

First, sorry to hear about the injury Eazy. I'll wait till tomorrow to hound you about shoe trees tongue.gif.

Second, Spoo, congrats on your newfound venture. I hope you continue seeing success in the future and that I can contribute to it (as well as benefit from it).

To everyone with the insane hauls in LA, please, PLEASE PM me one of the locations you went. I no longer live there and won't be returning for a few years, so I'm not a threat, I just want to know whether I was EVER even in the right places in Los Angeles as I've had some great finds, but never 30+ NWT Brioni level items. Michigan people though, you better be fearful. You've got a month left before I'm in your stores, stealing your finds.

Definitely want to go thrifting with frenchy one day. Despite how calm I am up here, I've got a very similar attitude in real life and I'd love to get into a UFC thrifting tag team match with you on my side man icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Finally, I've already shot a PM off to some of you but if anyone finds any of the following, let me know please. Looking for:

Leather carrying bag/satchel/briefcase.
A wallet (brown/black) will do
Balmoral Boots. Doubtful that anyone has any (or are willing to sell), but if someone sees an ebay link or something for 9-9.5 D (9 preferred) let me know.

Gonna be back on the thrifting horse soon, and as I've been saying to everyone who hooked it up this summer, I still am looking for all of you and still have your sizes stashed in the good ol iphone.
post #42378 of 115860
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLjon View Post

 

 

I work in Roswell. As far north as I've gone is that new John's Creek Goodwill that never really has anything.

 

There are a TON of lurkers out there who live at the Buckhead Goodwill; I thought I was relatively safe way out here. I think I'm going to start taking my lunch breaks at 10:30 to beat those guys to the punch. I'll be stuck in a Starbucks today, though; I'm on deadline and decided to watch that new pickers show narrated by Fred Willard last night instead of writing 700 words about a trombonist.

 So that explains why I rarely find anything at the Roswell location.  I've been to Johns Creek a couple times - wasn't memorable so I doubt I scored anything.  I haven't been to Buckhead or the one in ATL proper, but I did swing down to Newnan a few weeks ago and hit the other far-south GW's at the same time - not worth going to.

 

Noticed that there are two indie thrift shops on the same block as one of my regular GW's - how I didn't notice before I have no idea, but I'll definitely be checking them out soon.  Love finding new places to shop.

post #42379 of 115860
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastdonb View Post

 

Just bought a pair of Strands in Walnut with the trees from AE, their trees are not split toe anymore and are $24.95:

 

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/ProductDisplay?storeId=1&partNumber=SF604&expDataUniqueID=1290000&expDataType=CatalogEntryId&langId=-1&catalogId=40000000001

 

On a side note, if you have any older AE shoe trees and they are cracked, AE will replace them for free.

They still have split toes (same price, so I'm not sure when you wouldn't want split toe shoe trees?)

 

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF610_1_40000000001_-1

post #42380 of 115860
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyakku View Post

Wow been gone for a while, and come back to 40-50 pages of stuff I had to catch up on.
First, sorry to hear about the injury Eazy. I'll wait till tomorrow to hound you about shoe trees tongue.gif.
Second, Spoo, congrats on your newfound venture. I hope you continue seeing success in the future and that I can contribute to it (as well as benefit from it).
To everyone with the insane hauls in LA, please, PLEASE PM me one of the locations you went. I no longer live there and won't be returning for a few years, so I'm not a threat, I just want to know whether I was EVER even in the right places in Los Angeles as I've had some great finds, but never 30+ NWT Brioni level items. Michigan people though, you better be fearful. You've got a month left before I'm in your stores, stealing your finds.
Definitely want to go thrifting with frenchy one day. Despite how calm I am up here, I've got a very similar attitude in real life and I'd love to get into a UFC thrifting tag team match with you on my side man icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Finally, I've already shot a PM off to some of you but if anyone finds any of the following, let me know please. Looking for:

Leather carrying bag/satchel/briefcase.
A wallet (brown/black) will do
Balmoral Boots. Doubtful that anyone has any (or are willing to sell), but if someone sees an ebay link or something for 9-9.5 D (9 preferred) let me know.
Gonna be back on the thrifting horse soon, and as I've been saying to everyone who hooked it up this summer, I still am looking for all of you and still have your sizes stashed in the good ol iphone.

lol,im 6 foot 220 and im actually a very calm person untill someone fucks with me,which happens a lot because im some sort of shit magnet 

post #42381 of 115860

Retina damaging thrift fit... 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

IMG_1715.jpg

sorry for the blurriness

 

IMG_1713.jpg

 

IMG_1716.jpg

 

PRL by Corneliani linen blazer, thrifted by me

T&A shirt from DM7

PRL linen pants, thrifted by me

AE Kenwood loafers, eBay

post #42382 of 115860
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmacs View Post


Seriously?
I believe Hermes will close the store for their "special customers"... might want to try there...
as far as covering the racks, have you tried saying, god forbid, "excuse me, would you mind if I look at that rack, thanks..." or is it just easier to kick the guy out of the way...
Now if he's trying on EVERY coat, he might have no idea what size he is, tried telling him where the label is? tried giving him an idea of his size to get started? course not... he's in the way... just harass him...
As far as thr guy trying on shirts, chances are he was after one for himself... ever consider he might have next to no money (thrift stores were traditionally not hangouts for flippers) he might have travelled a good distance (gas costs $$) and not want to have to bring it back... but most of all... he might not know there's a changing room... but why would we tell him...?
no offence, but some people in this thread should be ashamed of their attitudes...

 

 

 

 

i was gonna let this go,but im having a slow day so i will enlighten you.
you are either very naive or incredibly ignorant.
i see you are from the mid west,i dont know what kind of hayseed utopia you live in,but i live in toronto.
an amalgamated city of close to 5 million people and its a fucking zoo,im talking prison rules on the street when driving (boy racers,general shit heads) ,in the bars (more shit heads,i used to be a bouncer i know what i speak of) and even in the thrifts.

this happened just last night 2 dead and 21 people shot including a 22 month old at a BBQ,at a fucking BBQ okay

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/07/17/one-dead-several-injured-in-scarborough-shooting

anyway i hit 8 stores today and this is what i saw,third store a guy cut in line in front a of older lady with a huge pile in her cart (mind you she should have let him in .im sure she would have if he asked) but he didnt he just cut in.
she asked him why he did that and he told her to mind her own "damn" business,which ironically was being in line to pay for her wares.
in the fifth store a guy scored a really nice Pioneer receiver.he put it down for a split second on the counter in front of the cash to look for his wallet (the thing weighs 30 ponds) when another guy scooped it up.
last i saw they were still in a tug of war over it with the asshole proclaiming "possession is nine tenths of the law rule".

now i will get to my own personal experiences,remember the guy who was trying on suits in the aisle?
i politely asked him if he could move it so i could take a look at whats underneath,his response : "wait your turn"
my response :his shit flying across to the next aisle.
second guy who did that about 6 months later,actually told me to go fuck myself after i asked him why he doesnt use the change room instead of blocking the whole aisle.
again his shit flew across aisle and hes lucky he didnt get a punch in the face.
the cart blocker,he was at the end of the aisle and i was trying to get out of it (the freaking thing was like a mile long) i politely asked him if he could move it.
his response," wait or go back the entire aisle if you want to get to the next one",my response :a fucking kick to the cart.
second guy with a cart,this was about two weeks ago.
i asked if he could move it so i could get through,his response: he just looked at me smirked and ignored me
you know what my response was.
maybe i made it sound like this happens every week,it doesnt but it does happen.

you ask why would someone not move when you politely ask them to,who the fuck knows probably the same missing chromosome that makes people take shit out of your cart and put stuff in it.
some people are just fucked.

so let me ask you madmacs,how would you deal with those situations?would you just hold your cock in your hand or be a man?
see unless you are in this FULL time you dont know the FULL picture,taking a weekend stroll to your local thrift is not the same as 40-50 hours a week and hitting 12 stores a day.
ask DM7 as nataku,ask mainy...theres some crazy shit out there,so get off your fucking high horse and stop pontificating.

another couple of examples,
a good friend of mine is a glass/ceramics ,Gold/silver picker in thrifts.
there is a very attractive female picker who accused him and a few other guys of sexual harassment and assault to get them banned and t get rid of the competition,it actually backfired and now she is banned from every VV in north america because he is gay so it kinda didnt add up in court when he sued her ass for defamation.
this one i was actually witness to: about a month ago,a girl put down her brand new Samsung Note on the counter to pay for her stuff when her phone went missing,she accused this middle age guy who was carrying a bible no less,he denied it but then she had the bright idea of calling her phone with the store phone sure enough it started ringing the katy perry song is his breast pocket.
the guy put her in a head lock and he had to be restrained till the cops came,i think he was charged with theft,assault and something else.

anyway,just some fun stuff that happens in thrifts.


Edited by frenchytoo - 7/17/12 at 3:50pm
post #42383 of 115860

out of those 20 stores only one is a Value Village/Savers?

because i know that all of them have change rooms.

if you are considerate and civilized thats great,but for every 1000 guys like you theres one asshole who wont move and will give you attitude to go with it.  

 

 

 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazye View Post

Only one store out of the 20 or so I've been to here have fitting rooms, and yes when I'm on my bike and have to carry my finds on my back, I will grab a cart if its necessary. I mean it is still a store, not a no mans land free for all. On that note, I'm very considerate of other shoppers, and get out of their way if they are trying to look at something and my cart is blocking them.
post #42384 of 115860

thats actually not that bad ,i still wouldnt be caught dead in that outfit but not that bad.

what happened to the outfit i laid out for you last night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel View Post

Retina damaging thrift fit... 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

IMG_1715.jpg

sorry for the blurriness

 

IMG_1713.jpg

 

IMG_1716.jpg

 

PRL by Corneliani linen blazer, thrifted by me

T&A shirt from DM7

PRL linen pants, thrifted by me

AE Kenwood loafers, eBay

post #42385 of 115860
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastdonb View Post

From AE appreciation thread.....Jos A Banks has 70% off entire online site through midnight, shoe trees are on sale for $7.50, reg $25.00, supposedly same as AE shoe trees, cedar shoe tree rack only $10.50 instead of $35.00.

 

 

 http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_101593

 

Also. use promo code FATW10 for $10 off $50

Thanks a bunch!! Been waiting on the buy one get two deal, but this is even better PLUS the $10 off. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

post #42386 of 115860

todays finds

 

Agave organic jeans that fit perfectly dont even need hemming

 

IMAG1525.jpg

 

and mint condition Carrera sunglasses for $1.99 (model 5512 the ones made famous on Miami Vice)   i was actually gonna start shopping for new shades,but im not sure if i got enough swaggah to pull these off,i dont know man i feel like i need a white 1988 testarossa and a linen suit to rock these

 

IMAG1529.jpg

 

 

while researching these i came across this hilarious blog abou a guy who makes commenst about celebrities and sunglasses,warning dont click if you are a fan of kanye this guy really hates his guts.good read.

 

 

http://www.celebrity-sunglasses-finder.com/Kanye-West-Sunglasses.html

post #42387 of 115860

Still playing catch up from this weekend's trip.

 

Florsheim Half Brogue Wingtips 11 D

It seems like I never find quality Florsheim Half Brogues like this. They are almost always Longwings, or really cheaply made/glued short wings.

$(KGrHqJHJEcE+R7)outfBQBN,WGdmw~~60_57.JPG

NEW J&M Limited Collection Wingtips 9.5 E/C

$(KGrHqR,!roE+m9I5tHJBQBOEw4sPg~~60_57.JPG

 

More to come......

post #42388 of 115860
lol welcome back frenchy. welcome back
post #42389 of 115860

lol,im gone tone it down but i just cant stand it when people dont know shit chime in on a subject and sling around words like "self-righteous".

anyway im done,back to thrift finds.

 

(ps im really a nice guy in real life lol,just you know shit magnet)   

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainy View Post

lol welcome back frenchy. welcome back
post #42390 of 115860
These weren't bargain basement priced, but they were thrifted at less than 10% of retail. NWOB Alden for Brooks Brothers black LHS penny loafers in shell cordovan. Most amazing of all..they're my size. Can't decide whether to keep them or not, but them being my size does mean I won't be selling them cheap.

lhs.jpg
lhs1.jpg
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread