or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 2653

post #39781 of 110189
I am shocked many of you do not enter consignments!

Are we not all discount hunters here as well?

Some of my consignment finds over the years:
- I remember well picking up a Hermes suit still NWT with boutique tags for a not so thrifty 500 dollars but a dang sight cheaper than getting it somewhere else!
- How about a NWT Gucci suit for $350?
- How about a pair of Lobbs lightly worn for $200?

Of course, consignments are also a bargain hunters trap with numerous overpriced old suits / shirts as well, but you can find deals with a little luck.

I do feel many consignments have a higher knowledge of womans clothing or just pure fashion stuff over good quality more trad mens brands. I have seen Versace well overpriced over Kiton or Brioni. Recent trip saw a Versace suit with an astonishing price tag of $700 while a Kiton suit had a tag of $450. Both second hand. The Versace was just a Versace Collection piece, nothing outrageous.
post #39782 of 110189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klobber View Post

I am shocked many of you do not enter consignments!
Are we not all discount hunters here as well?
Some of my consignment finds over the years:
- I remember well picking up a Hermes suit still NWT with boutique tags for a not so thrifty 500 dollars but a dang sight cheaper than getting it somewhere else!
- How about a NWT Gucci suit for $350?
- How about a pair of Lobbs lightly worn for $200?
Of course, consignments are also a bargain hunters trap with numerous overpriced old suits / shirts as well, but you can find deals with a little luck.
I do feel many consignments have a higher knowledge of womans clothing or just pure fashion stuff over good quality more trad mens brands. I have seen Versace well overpriced over Kiton or Brioni. Recent trip saw a Versace suit with an astonishing price tag of $700 while a Kiton suit had a tag of $450. Both second hand. The Versace was just a Versace Collection piece, nothing outrageous.

 

Not a lot of consignment shops around here. The one I did visit recently had lots of crap ($25 for a Stafford suit) but also some decent stuff (also $25 for an older HF suit, pretty worn). They're mostly women's clothes from what I've seen. 

post #39783 of 110189
Was missing a whale since the one I had before was appropriated by a member utilizing various forms of begs, cries, tantrums, legalese both Anglo- Saxon and Roman, case law, Supreme Court briefs, presidential decree, and papal canon.
2.20. Unfortunately there is a little stain.

534
post #39784 of 110189

Somebody said Majer Slacks were good, right? If anyone wants me to pick these up let me know... about a 36-38 I think

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

IMG_1678.jpg

 

IMG_1679.jpg

post #39785 of 110189
Quote:
Originally Posted by catside View Post

Was missing a whale since the one I had before was appropriated by a member utilizing various forms of begs, cries, tantrums, legalese both Anglo- Saxon and Roman, case law, Supreme Court briefs, presidential decree, and papal canon.
2.20. Unfortunately there is a little stain.
534

 

Somebody said whale tie? spam[1].gif

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140757425438?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_500wt_1413

post #39786 of 110189
Eff, things have been slow. Since I have a few weeks off before I start my new job I figured I'd take a thrifting road trip. Passed on:

HF partially lined gunclub sport coat. This is what I've been after all summer so to find this in my size was amazing. Until I looked down and saw all the moth holes. baldy[1].gif
100% Cashmere Chester Barrie SC. Again, riddled with holes.
BB Makers loose weave navy blazer. Similar to this. Again, effing moth holes.
Hamilton shirt. First time seeing this brand and it was in good condition, but monogrammed.
AE Barrington wingtip. In decent condition and in my size, but the asking price was $160. rotflmao.gif I seriously wanted to slap the woman owner. How she gets any business I'll never understand. She had used Lands End khakis priced at $38!
I went to another consignment that I didn't realize until I got there only sold women's clothes, but I did see some brands for the first time in the wild: Prada, Jimmy Choo, Manolo Blahnik, Christian Louboutin.

My only pick ups:
Ben Silver tie (unavailable)
NWOT Peter Millar flat front navy gingham shorts (unavailable)
NWT BB White OCBD. 16-32. Slim Fit. Made in the USA. An older model, because price on the tag is $49.50. Just needs an ironing. (available)

469261
Edited by matty long legs - 6/22/12 at 3:19pm
post #39787 of 110189
DEFAMATORY, SIR!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by catside View Post

Was missing a whale since the one I had before was appropriated by a member utilizing various forms of begs, cries, tantrums, legalese both Anglo- Saxon and Roman, case law, Supreme Court briefs, presidential decree, and papal canon.
2.20. Unfortunately there is a little stain.
534
post #39788 of 110189
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty long legs View Post

Eff, things have been slow. Since I have a few weeks off before I start my new job I figured I'd take a thrifting road trip. Passed on:
HF partially lined gunclub sport coat. This is what I've been after all summer so to find this in my size was amazing. Until I looked down and saw all the moth holes. baldy[1].gif
100% Cashmere Chester Barrie. Again, riddled with holes.
BB Makers loose weave navy blazer. Similar to this. Again, effing moth holes.
Hamilton shirt. First time seeing this brand and it was in good condition, but monogrammed.
AE Barrington wingtip. In decent condition and in my size, but the asking price was $160. rotflmao.gif I seriously wanted to slap the woman owner. How she gets any business I'll never understand. She had used Lands End khakis priced at $38!
I went to another consignment that I didn't realize until I got there only sold women's clothes, but I did see some brands for the first time in the wild: Prada, Jimmy Choo, Manolo Blahnik, Christian Louboutin.
My only pick ups:
Ben Silver tie (unavailable)
NWOT Peter Millar flat front navy gingham shorts (unavailable)
NWT BB White OCBD. 16-32. Slim Fit. Made in the USA. An older model, because price on the tag is $49.50. Just needs an ironing. (available)
469261

 

Nice tie! If it ever needs a new home let me know. 

post #39789 of 110189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post
 Tape is "thrifted" from the USPS store peepwall%5B1%5D.gif

 

 

 

I am going to print this and frame it. What camera do you use??

post #39790 of 110189

Okay: Thrift fit take 2, with the Hermes I just picked up instead of the bow. Is the SC too long? It's unlined, so would that make it easier to hack a bit off?

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

7422052758_45ed0389a8.jpg

post #39791 of 110189

Grabbed a pair of diesel jeans and this cycling shirt today.

 

Vermac Sports

100_0694.JPG

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

100_0695.JPG

100_0696.JPG

100_0697.JPG

100_0702.JPG

100_0699.JPG

100_0701.JPG

post #39792 of 110189

8 stores today, and only one small thing made the trip home with me. And they are already pre-dibs'ed (pending acceptance) to another member

 

Sweet Smoked Grayish Brown MOP cufflinks and studs. Probably the nices set I have found to date. They look like silver, but since there are no markings, I am assuming they are not.

MOP Links (1).JPGMOP Links (2).JPGMOP Links (3).JPGMOP Links (4).JPGMOP Links (5).JPG

 
post #39793 of 110189
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmith View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post
 Tape is "thrifted" from the USPS store peepwall%5B1%5D.gif

 

I am going to print this and frame it. What camera do you use??

 

Old but good Lumix DMC-FZ5 point and shoot in auto mode.

 

3q-001.jpg?v=1516

 

Nikon D3100 is on its way in two weeks which I'm super super excited about!!!

post #39794 of 110189
^ you probably already know this, but you should really get this lens for your nikon:
XSUiq.jpg

i use it almost exclusively. only time i use anything else is if i need a long zoom.
post #39795 of 110189
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicutioner View Post

^ you probably already know this, but you should really get this lens for your nikon:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

XSUiq.jpg


i use it almost exclusively. only time i use anything else is if i need a long zoom.

 

YUP #1 on my lens list and will have one in my hands before the camera arrives (it's coming with the 18-55mm & 55-200mm VR lenses). Also on the list is a Tokina 100mm f/2.8 Macro and SB800 flash! That pretty much rounds out what I'm going to end up with in a few weeks bounce2.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread