or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 2566

post #38476 of 115211
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmacs View Post

I dont think there is "crappy" harris tweed... they tend to treat quality control seriously... there are a lot of variarions in thickness, surface texture (you might think hairy tweed is crappy), weave, pattern etc.
now crappy jackets made from harris tweed might be a different question... but even then, it'll last forever... I guess you'd really need to define crappy...?

That's right, so far as I know. The only "evil" surrounding HT was a cornering of the market, if you will, by some guy who tried buying up all the mills a decade ago or thereabouts. He was kind of the Henry Ford/Hunt Brothers of HT--you could have any color as long as it was one of the 4-6 he chose to weave. That's over now, I think. But, quality wise, I don't think it has ever been anything but top notch. HT may not be for everyone--a lot of folks think it looks like a bad rug--but if you like it, be sure you really like it, because it'll last pretty much forever.
post #38477 of 115211
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobizor View Post

Aw, dude...that's a rare find. Don't send a $3 million jacket to some random guy on the internet -- sell it on eBay, then grab a nice suit or ten for your job interviews.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, YOU PEOPLE, WHAT HAS THIS THREAD BECOME!
facepalm.gif

yeah i gotta side with the merciless contingent, dude's gotta sell that thing on ebay, shouldn't bother with responding to PM's. smartest move would probably be to go through spoo i'm guessing?
post #38478 of 115211
I'm having a lot of trouble selling my harris tweed. Is it just a bad time of year?
post #38479 of 115211
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnutpug View Post


That's right, so far as I know. The only "evil" surrounding HT was a cornering of the market, if you will, by some guy who tried buying up all the mills a decade ago or thereabouts. He was kind of the Henry Ford/Hunt Brothers of HT--you could have any color as long as it was one of the 4-6 he chose to weave. That's over now, I think. But, quality wise, I don't think it has ever been anything but top notch. HT may not be for everyone--a lot of folks think it looks like a bad rug--but if you like it, be sure you really like it, because it'll last pretty much forever.

 

Hmm, the Harris tweed I see in Canada all comes from Moores, a store whose stuff I pass on without a second thought because it's fused and feels like cardboard. Maybe it's worth another look though.

post #38480 of 115211

Alright, here are some shirts been had from an alternate timeline wink.gif...

 

Damn near unworn, wish it was my size...

IMG_0108.jpg

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Neck- 17

Sleeve- 35.5

P2P- 26

Available

IMG_0110.jpg

 

Sweet button hole stitching

IMG_0109.jpg

 

One for Shaq

IMG_0117.jpg

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Tagged 4XLTeek.gif

Neck- 20 1/4 eek.gif

Sleeve- 34 1/2 uhoh.gif

P2P- 30

Available... To short armed giants?

IMG_0123.jpg

 

One for... Carlos Santana on steroids?

IMG_0129.jpg

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Tagged 2XL

Neck- 18

Sleeve- 37.5

P2P- 26

Available after a drycleaning

IMG_0135.jpg

 

Mad details on this one...

IMG_0131.jpg

 

 

My first finds for both brands, so I figured hell lets give 'em a shot. The "Santana" Graham can't be returned, but the "Shaq" shirt can... What say you guys- Think those strange measurements (short arms) or the slightly lighter spots on the collar edges grounds for an immediate must-return?

post #38481 of 115211
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicutioner View Post

yeah i gotta side with the merciless contingent, dude's gotta sell that thing on ebay, shouldn't bother with responding to PM's. smartest move would probably be to go through spoo i'm guessing?

Guy has got to go with Spoo. Spoo offered pretty damn well, $85 + $40 = $125. Even if it did not fit Spoo, his magic wand of auctioning will guarantee $250+ for that jacket. To another seller on eBay, that jacket would be worth squat, at best $130 - $150. I reckon it works out win win both ways.
post #38482 of 115211
Yup, Spoo is the man $250 for a jacket you say? icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Oh, also found this and couldn't pass it up

523
post #38483 of 115211
^ aww man i saw a vintage 90's-looking PRL in a similar pattern a month ago, i'm still kicking myself for not picking it up. sweet find!
post #38484 of 115211
Calling all 46s:

Gorgeous POW glen plaid suit. A lot handwork in this - fully canvassed. Nearly flawless - only the little stain near the belt loop. Looks superficial, any good dry cleaner should be able to get that out.
IMG_9249.jpgWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
IMG_9250.jpg
IMG_9251.jpg
IMG_9252.jpg
IMG_9253.jpg
IMG_9254.jpg
IMG_9255.jpg
IMG_9256.jpg
IMG_9257.jpg
IMG_9258.jpg

Sick vintage Osprey backpack - not available:
IMG_9259.jpg

Axio hardshell backpack. Never heard of this before today. Apparently they made lots of motorcycle-specific backpacks and retail f0r $200+. Most likely keeping this.
IMG_9260.jpgWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Open it up. It's a regular backpack with space for a laptop, right?
IMG_9261.jpg
Wrong! Hidden camera storage icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif:
IMG_9262.jpg

Vintage Brooks Brothers Sea Island cotton summer sweater, Available:
IMG_9267.jpg
IMG_9268.jpg

Beater laptop bag. All leather. Quality is actually pretty good - better than I expected. I'll let this go cheap.
IMG_9263.jpgWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
IMG_9264.jpg
IMG_9265.jpg
IMG_9266.jpg

Not pictured:
VV shirt
English-made Aquascutum rain coat
North Face vintage packable windbreaker
tweed
post #38485 of 115211
picked up what most pass on today since its a rare sight:
Theory made in china plaid $13.99
John varvatos shirt beat..$8.99
Hugo boss orphaned jacked $29.99...its recent and cut perfectly to me but black
Lacoste shirt $24.99

This was a salvation army that's starting to get a little crazy on pricing I saw 3 pairs of true religion jeans for $99.99
And a gloverall camelhair madein england duffle coat for $79.99

Passed on some zara shirting and some old eton shirts (red box label not white oval label)
post #38486 of 115211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Abed View Post

Alright, here are some shirts been had from an alternate timeline wink.gif...

 

Damn near unworn, wish it was my size...

IMG_0108.jpg

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Neck- 17

Sleeve- 35.5

P2P- 26

Available

IMG_0110.jpg

 

Sweet button hole stitching

IMG_0109.jpg

 

One for Shaq

IMG_0117.jpg

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Tagged 4XLTeek.gif

Neck- 20 1/4 eek.gif

Sleeve- 34 1/2 uhoh.gif

P2P- 30

Available... To short armed giants?

IMG_0123.jpg

 

One for... Carlos Santana on steroids?

IMG_0129.jpg

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Tagged 2XL

Neck- 18

Sleeve- 37.5

P2P- 26

Available after a drycleaning

IMG_0135.jpg

 

Mad details on this one...

IMG_0131.jpg

 

 

My first finds for both brands, so I figured hell lets give 'em a shot. The "Santana" Graham can't be returned, but the "Shaq" shirt can... What say you guys- Think those strange measurements (short arms) or the slightly lighter spots on the collar edges grounds for an immediate must-return?

AHAHAHAHAHA! Had me cracking up! rotflmao.gif

post #38487 of 115211

I'm fairly new to this, but I think I had a breakthrough this afternoon when I came across these all on one rack. Forgive the bad photos. It will get better from here.

 

zanella.jpg

 

zegna.jpg

 

incotex.jpg

 

canali.jpg

 

Two Zanellas (best fit I've experienced), five Zegnas in different materials, one Incotex in cotton/linen, & two fine Canalis. All are in/near my size, so I'm not sure which to hold on to & which to move along. It's nice to finally come across some quality goods after reading about everyone else's epic hauls.

post #38488 of 115211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Squishy View Post

350x263px-LL-15c845f4_zegna.jpeg

Nice pants haul. I never feel like sorting through them. What's that black pair on the bottom? Interested in unloading them? happy.gif
post #38489 of 115211
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel View Post

The only things I'll think about paying retail for are things I know I can't find on eBay or B&S, like my Oakstreet Bootmakers navy suede trail oxfords. Sometimes you just want a particular thing and have to bite the bullet. 
This.

I'm going to JAB today to pick up enough black OCBD dress shirts in my size to wear to work (stupid dress code!) without having to wash my inventory every 4 days. They're advertising them on the radio for $25/per.
post #38490 of 115211
Any of those Zegna with a split waistband, made in Portugal are probably made by Incotex. Great pants haul man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Squishy View Post

I'm fairly new to this, but I think I had a breakthrough this afternoon when I came across these all on one rack. Forgive the bad photos. It will get better from here.

350x263px-LL-7041d563_zanella.jpeg

350x263px-LL-15c845f4_zegna.jpeg

350x263px-LL-c77bc458_incotex.jpeg

350x263px-LL-e6928140_canali.jpeg

Two Zanellas (best fit I've experienced), five Zegnas in different materials, one Incotex in cotton/linen, & two fine Canalis. All are in/near my size, so I'm not sure which to hold on to & which to move along. It's nice to finally come across some quality goods after reading about everyone else's epic hauls.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread