or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 2565

post #38461 of 124421

Nada today minus a pair of cufflinks :(

 

Got a package from Typhoid Jones from our trade cheers.gif

post #38462 of 124421

Lots of interest in that Loro Piana linen SC like I figured there would be. I will go see if it's still there first thing in the morning. Like I said it's been there since last week, but knowing how these things work out, it's probably gone now that I plan on picking it up . :). Will reply to PMs after that if it's still there! Cheers.

post #38463 of 124421
Aw, dude...that's a rare find. Don't send a $3 million jacket to some random guy on the internet -- sell it on eBay, then grab a nice suit or ten for your job interviews.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, YOU PEOPLE, WHAT HAS THIS THREAD BECOME!

facepalm.gif
post #38464 of 124421
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiloVance View Post

Brand New (with department store tags) Optimo of Chicago for Wilkes Bashford fedora in a rich dark brown felt. Wide-brimmed with an extra high crown. I think these hats retail for $595 and up.
263
263

That one looks just like one I had custom made by Graham about 10 years ago. Difference being I'm wearing mine.
post #38465 of 124421
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMcL View Post

To quote Willy Wonka: Wait. Stop that. Reverse it. (My wallet and willpower thank you that it says "50" not "52")
shog[1].gif
Spoo: Dat not ur size! Dat MY size. You pay him $85, then I gotta pay you $850. Why u not let me buy?
Thrift fit coming later. Lots of non-thrift in it, but excited because I think I finally made a nice tie/outfit/pocket square combo.

Y U NO POST EARLIER? confused.gif

I have a LP thats a 52 to be frank.. Im hoping it fits.
post #38466 of 124421
Hey guys, I found these Cole Haan...o never mind.

Just a quick drive-by to say that all of a sudden the thrift stores are thick with sweet Harris Tweeds since they're out of season but people keep donating them. I have upgraded some of my own and found my first well-preserved keeper with the vintage monochrome label...which will look even more awesome after the dry cleaner's done with it. $2.99, to boot, the dry cleaning will cost 4-5x that.

Keep your eyes peeled, even though you might not be in the mood for it. Also, woolrich & pendleton out the a$$ right now in the racks, at least up here. Too bad I have enough of that stuff (and capn wes sold me a jacket to die for I can wear once New England chills again come octobah)
post #38467 of 124421
Quote:
Originally Posted by kupus View Post

Hey guys, noobie here, and just got into thrifting as it fits in well with my post-doc salary and flexible post-doc hours (and now that I have a Ph.D I'll need to stack up on tweeds and elbow patches for this fall). I've pretty much read this thread all the way through over the course of a couple weeks, and was just wondering what you guys look for in terms of pricing. I've only been looking for things that fit, but I bumped into this Loro Piana partially lined linen SC size EU52 (I am EU50/40R frown.gif ). I am not really interested in becoming a flipper etc., since I am way too new to all this, and am really just looking for things for myself.

Anyways, for myself for future reference, this thing was priced at $40 (the store is an actual charity thrift, not consignment). Standard? Good? Bad? I was just looking for guidance as to what you guys look for in terms of price for shirts, SC/blazers, and full suits. I did pick up a Lorenzini shirt there for $10 that I took straight to my tailor to have the sides taken in. Anyways, this thing has been in the store for well over a week so if anyone is interested I can run and pick it up.

350x469px-LL-a503d41b_photo1.jpeg

Well done on getting your Ph.D. Pain in the ass was it not? Took me 3 1/2 goddamn years of toil to get mine. Hope your post doc is a continuation of what you did in your Ph.D research.

Regarding that Loro Piana:

Wow, take a leak on my back and tell me it is raining liquid ambrosia please! That thing is awesome.
post #38468 of 124421
Quote:
Originally Posted by LooknGr8 View Post

Hey guys, I found these Cole Haan...o never mind.
Just a quick drive-by to say that all of a sudden the thrift stores are thick with sweet Harris Tweeds since they're out of season but people keep donating them. I have upgraded some of my own and found my first well-preserved keeper with the vintage monochrome label...which will look even more awesome after the dry cleaner's done with it. $2.99, to boot, the dry cleaning will cost 4-5x that.
Keep your eyes peeled, even though you might not be in the mood for it. Also, woolrich & pendleton out the a$$ right now in the racks, at least up here. Too bad I have enough of that stuff (and capn wes sold me a jacket to die for I can wear once New England chills again come octobah)

 

Has it been covered earlier in this thread or elsewhere how to distinguish good Harris (and Donegal) tweed from bad? The fabric is pretty cool, but the only jackets I see made with Harris or Donegal tweeds seem to be crappy and low end.

post #38469 of 124421
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadBoy View Post

Has it been covered earlier in this thread or elsewhere how to distinguish good Harris (and Donegal) tweed from bad? The fabric is pretty cool, but the only jackets I see made with Harris or Donegal tweeds seem to be crappy and low end.

I dont think there is "crappy" harris tweed... they tend to treat quality control seriously... there are a lot of variarions in thickness, surface texture (you might think hairy tweed is crappy), weave, pattern etc.

now crappy jackets made from harris tweed might be a different question... but even then, it'll last forever... I guess you'd really need to define crappy...?
post #38470 of 124421
Thrift fit, as promised. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Most brands are not SF approved, so I won't even bother.
Nothing but skivvies bought retail; shirt = Ebay; links = Cap'n Wes; Square, belt and shoes = thrifted by me; rest = massive employee discounts or awesome sales
467467263
post #38471 of 124421
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobizor View Post

Aw, dude...that's a rare find. Don't send a $3 million jacket to some random guy on the internet -- sell it on eBay, then grab a nice suit or ten for your job interviews.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, YOU PEOPLE, WHAT HAS THIS THREAD BECOME!
facepalm.gif

Word.

post #38472 of 124421
anyone have a decent knowledge set as it relates to yohji yammamoto?
post #38473 of 124421
ivwri in SW&D. Whatcha find?
post #38474 of 124421
pretty sweet belted trench coat.
post #38475 of 124421
Cool. PM user ivwri and he can probably give you some info about it. Yohji is $$$
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread