or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 2523

post #37831 of 112772
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpore


pics of insane jacket

If the sleeves weren't way too long, I would be sending you electric money right now.

post #37832 of 112772
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachl View Post

I bought one of the 36R Thick as Thieves blazers off of darkmatter7 from his haul a few weeks ago and received it the other day. It's unfortunately a bit too wide in the shoulders for me to make work, so if anyone else is interested, please shoot me a PM.
The measurements and details darkmatter7 provided me can be found below:
 
Grey Peak Lapel (tagged 36R, measures closer to a 38R)
Double vented, 1 button, with hacking pockets, and ticket pocket
Shoulder 18
p2p 19
waist 17/18
length 30
sleeve 25

Photo included from dm7's flickr:
233
post #37833 of 112772
Picked up a pair of Cheaney's today that had a fresh full resole. Could only tell they were Cheaney's by the size stamp. Then once I got em out in the sun realized that they must have been dyed black from burgundy or something because the original color was showing through. Couldn't see it in the store. Marked 10D, if anyone wants them they're available.
DSC02962.jpgWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
DSC02978.jpg
DSC02965.jpg
DSC02963.jpg
DSC02967.jpg
DSC02968.jpg
DSC02970.jpg
DSC02971.jpg
Also got a pair of Paul Smith linen pants in size 38. Also available.
DSC02981.jpgWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
DSC02959.jpg
DSC02960.jpg
DSC02958.jpg
post #37834 of 112772
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicutioner View Post

a word of unsolicited advice: you deal in volume. other guys might find their once in a lifetime high end $4k+ Kiton / G&H / Brioni / whatever suit, list it on B&S or ebay BIN for $500-800, and then wait patiently (for months, likely) for that one buyer in that one size looking for that one pattern to pull the trigger. when that happens, our little thrifter is thrilled, and the months wait (and the accompanying extra clutter) was worth it.
given the volume of stuff you find, you do not have the luxury of time. all of these $4k retail suits are theoretically worth $400+, but likely only after a long wait, hassle, soul-crushing clutter, and (very likely) a huge chunk taken out for your consignment partners and ebay fees. other guys have the luxury of waiting for that one chance to knock one out of the park, but you need to focus on hitting triples and doubles ALL THE FUCKING TIME. i suspect that if you had instituted a well-known "cost +$100" or "cost + $150" policy for suits, "cost + $75" or so for SC's in conjunction with "no PMs unless it's to let me know that you sent me the money via paypal" policy, etc or something similar for thrift thread regulars, your finds would be flying out the door with little to no hassle on your part, and you would likely have a huge cash surplus right now, with no cut taken off the top by ebay, consignment partner cuts, shipping huge boxes to consignment partners, etc.
given that i am too cheap to even pay cost + $100 for a suit, i don't have a dog in this fight, so believe me when i say this advice doesn't have any ulterior motive on my part. i know from very personal experience what it's like to work my ass off to pay for undergrad only to have my grades suffer, and i don't want to see anyone go through that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klobber View Post

I will tell you about my own experience juggling university, private life, social life, selling, and work.
I had a rare LP trading / flipping thing going on (I also dealt in antique guns, coins, and rare or discontinued weapons such as crossbows by manufacturers like Barnett). I eventually made it profitable to the point I could clear $15K net profit a year. Add to that a job as a bouncer on weekends (Friday + Saturday night), and holiday employment in construction, I ended up being one of the rare students with a net positive balance in the bank owing nothing other than a few credit card bills. But let me tell you, that little business nearly killed me socially and grades wise. I could theoretically have cleared $40K net profit a year if I wanted to, but decided in my second year of that venture to seriously scale back my operations (took a girlfriend to give me the boot, poorer than expected grades, and a bunch of pissed off friends).
Thrifting for you on this scale is not going to work for you, even with a finely tuned business model. I can already sense you are on the edge, reaching that breaking point I had when wheeling and dealing in LP's, coins and weapons. Only you can decide what is best for yourself, but if I put myself in your shoes, I cannot help but bite my knuckles.
Either you will kill your business or it will kill you. I suggest scale back and enjoy your life. I do not sense you are having much fun doing this.
Mexicutioner gave you some solid advice on how to form a simple business model that can guarantee a quick turnover and some all important cash in your back pocket. The business models that apply to guys like Spoo, Mainy, and Nataku do not necessarily copy paste itself to you at this time.


Both of you, know what the fuck you are talking about.

And if you want to hear about having no time to do anything, try walking a week in my shoes.
post #37835 of 112772

It seems like I haven't posted in ages, but I think it's only been a month or so.  I guess that's how fast this thread moves!  Here are some recent finds.

 

Everything is available unless otherwise noted.

 

Corneliani DB jacket - Is this an orphan?  I'm afraid it is.

Fits me & tagged 38R.  NOT AVAILABLE

 

lmrUK.jpg

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Xcjn0.jpgeime3.jpg

 

 

Oxxford Suit - Tagged 44L, Pants 38/33

IpQEs.jpg

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

B0yPk.jpgFFQl8.jpgIa1qL.jpg2GvRD.jpggmsQj.jpg

 

 

PRL cotton blazer - side vents, tagged L

YoE6Q.jpg

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

eFrkx.jpg

 

 

Faconnable cotton blazer - single vented, working cuffs, tagged XL

WoGsJ.jpg

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

jPR0a.jpgxUPji.jpg

 

 

Recent (?) HF for Nordstrom sportcoat - single vented, taged 42L

Blz1c.jpg

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

BlIw5.jpgquWkY.jpg2PUu9.jpg

 

 

HF for Nordstrom sportcoat - double vented, tagged 44L

STfGT.jpg

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

DtXmV.jpg8YKgv.jpgSNpkS.jpg

 

 

NOT AVAILABLE - ancient HSM (double vented, low button stance); Pendleton shacket (shazer?)

E21Wu.jpgFPvsp.jpg

 

I have too many ties to get rid of!  Below are some highlights - ALL AVAILABLE, Most of them are 3.75 wide.

Album view can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/wh8ay#0

 

uDxsW.jpg

 

6yE0p.jpgyohFt.jpgvE0zS.jpgdRbRH.jpgASeVj.jpgFABiW.jpg

1ZMUx.jpgTUzgW.jpgOFjDi.jpgMN6RR.jpgTP5sU.jpgJTbdf.jpg

t1Xky.jpgxDwoK.jpg

 

All of the tie photos are here: http://imgur.com/a/wh8ay#0

 

A couple of interesting PRL ties

kod55.jpgKgbLT.jpg

 

 

 

qnF1E.jpg

Hmm . . . Interesting, I guess . . .

 

L8nSP.jpg

What's that?  A picture, perhaps???

 

 

VERY NSFW Spoiler! (Click to show)

GlnIo.jpg

 

 

Bally monks - NOT AVAILABLE

HpBDz.jpg

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

EZiYx.jpguyMQn.jpg

 

 

Richard James shirt - made in Italy, MOP buttons, tagged 17.5/44

XmLlV.jpg

 

Question - Anyone have any thoughts on Lubiam 1911 suits?  I saw one, but it was too big and completed listings were all over the place.  Also, I've been trying to spend less lately, especially on things that won't fit me!

Wi2So.jpgcXLPG.jpg


Edited by bytor13 - 6/5/12 at 6:28pm
post #37836 of 112772
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CK View Post

Let's play a game to lighten up the mood a bit. Name reasons why Goodwill would make the perfect girlfriend. I'll start:
1. Donations are always gladly accepted at the rear
2.

 

You can get anything you want for under $30? 

post #37837 of 112772
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytor13 View Post

 

Question - Anyone have any thoughts on Lubiam 1911 suits?  I saw one, but it was too big and completed listings were all over the place.  Also, I've been trying to spend less lately, especially on things that won't fit me!

Wi2So.jpgcXLPG.jpg

 

I've heard good things about them, and all of the Lubiam stuff I've found has been well made. I've heard LBM 1911 called the "poor man's Boglioli"

post #37838 of 112772
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel View Post

 

I've heard good things about them, and all of the Lubiam stuff I've found has been well made. I've heard LBM 1911 called the "poor man's Boglioli"

Yeah, the quality seemed there, but I just wasn't sure what sort of demand there might be.  Like I said, all I had to go on was completeds on my phone, and they weren't much help.  Well . .  If anyone's a 48L and wants me to check it out, hit me up for a proxy!

post #37839 of 112772

A little heavy for the season but still pretty cool finds. (These are actually thrift finds, that I just re-found in the back of my thrifted inventory closet.)

 

Polo Corduroy Jacket w/ working surgeon cuffs.

Polo (2).JPGPolo (6).JPGPolo (10).JPG

 

Woolrich Patch Pocket  Blue and Brass

Woolrich (2).JPGWoolrich (9).JPGWoolrich (10).JPG

post #37840 of 112772
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel View Post

I've heard good things about them, and all of the Lubiam stuff I've found has been well made. I've heard LBM 1911 called the "poor man's Boglioli"

I don't know if it's still the case, but I believe they used to be more sports coats than suits... the one I have is nice, well made, good fabric, nice easily matchable pin stripe... for $8 I couldnt complain... has hair canvas in it too...
post #37841 of 112772
Had a great day thrifting with Gmmcl, just a real, real nice guy. It was nice to talk about clothes in real life for a change. We had to the the racks with the quickness because of time constraints, but I still had a couple firsts today. First Maranella, first some other shit I can't remember, and also what are most likely the sexest shoes I've ever thrifted! Pictures tomorrow when I get them cleaned up, for reelz, these shits is hottttttt!!!!! Bout to make somebody with a 11.5 shoe size really happy!!!
post #37842 of 112772
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicutioner View Post

a word of unsolicited advice: you deal in volume. other guys might find their once in a lifetime high end $4k+ Kiton / G&H / Brioni / whatever suit, list it on B&S or ebay BIN for $500-800, and then wait patiently (for months, likely) for that one buyer in that one size looking for that one pattern to pull the trigger. when that happens, our little thrifter is thrilled, and the months wait (and the accompanying extra clutter) was worth it.
given the volume of stuff you find, you do not have the luxury of time. all of these $4k retail suits are theoretically worth $400+, but likely only after a long wait, hassle, soul-crushing clutter, and (very likely) a huge chunk taken out for your consignment partners and ebay fees. other guys have the luxury of waiting for that one chance to knock one out of the park, but you need to focus on hitting triples and doubles ALL THE FUCKING TIME. i suspect that if you had instituted a well-known "cost +$100" or "cost + $150" policy for suits, "cost + $75" or so for SC's in conjunction with "no PMs unless it's to let me know that you sent me the money via paypal" policy, etc or something similar for thrift thread regulars, your finds would be flying out the door with little to no hassle on your part, and you would likely have a huge cash surplus right now, with no cut taken off the top by ebay, consignment partner cuts, shipping huge boxes to consignment partners, etc.
given that i am too cheap to even pay cost + $100 for a suit, i don't have a dog in this fight, so believe me when i say this advice doesn't have any ulterior motive on my part. i know from very personal experience what it's like to work my ass off to pay for undergrad only to have my grades suffer, and i don't want to see anyone go through that.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klobber View Post

I will tell you about my own experience juggling university, private life, social life, selling, and work.
I had a rare LP trading / flipping thing going on (I also dealt in antique guns, coins, and rare or discontinued weapons such as crossbows by manufacturers like Barnett). I eventually made it profitable to the point I could clear $15K net profit a year. Add to that a job as a bouncer on weekends (Friday + Saturday night), and holiday employment in construction, I ended up being one of the rare students with a net positive balance in the bank owing nothing other than a few credit card bills. But let me tell you, that little business nearly killed me socially and grades wise. I could theoretically have cleared $40K net profit a year if I wanted to, but decided in my second year of that venture to seriously scale back my operations (took a girlfriend to give me the boot, poorer than expected grades, and a bunch of pissed off friends).
Thrifting for you on this scale is not going to work for you, even with a finely tuned business model. I can already sense you are on the edge, reaching that breaking point I had when wheeling and dealing in LP's, coins and weapons. Only you can decide what is best for yourself, but if I put myself in your shoes, I cannot help but bite my knuckles.
Either you will kill your business or it will kill you. I suggest scale back and enjoy your life. I do not sense you are having much fun doing this.
Mexicutioner gave you some solid advice on how to form a simple business model that can guarantee a quick turnover and some all important cash in your back pocket. The business models that apply to guys like Spoo, Mainy, and Nataku do not necessarily copy paste itself to you at this time.


Both of you, know what the fuck you are talking about.

And if you want to hear about having no time to do anything, try walking a week in my shoes.


That comma completely alters the meaning from what I hope Spoo was trying to say to what it looks like he is says.
post #37843 of 112772
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
A little heavy for the season but still pretty cool finds. (These are actually thrift finds, that I just re-found in the back of my thrifted inventory closet.)

Polo Corduroy Jacket w/ working surgeon cuffs.
LLLLLL
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Woolrich Patch Pocket  Blue and Brass
LLLLLL

I thrifted that exact coat about a month ago! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #37844 of 112772
Quote:
Originally Posted by toscano_adottato View Post


I thrifted that exact coat about a month ago! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I have no clue how long ago I thrifted this...I have (3) 8' long closets full of jackets and this was in the back of the first one I filled up.

post #37845 of 112772
Quote:
Originally Posted by toscano_adottato View Post

I thrifted that exact coat about a month ago! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

next thing you know, you guys' are going to get your periods at the same time.

foo.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread