Been had Mainy...
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0, Paul Harnden, Taichi Murakami,... Last post on Yesterday at 7:45 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- The Editorial thread Last post on 4/25/16 at 7:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread) Last post on 8/20/16 at 4:04am in Streetwear and Denim
- The official list of online stores Last post on Yesterday at 8:15 am in Streetwear and Denim
- Summer sales 2016 - All the stuff that's fit to buy - codes, updates, etc... Last post on 7/1/16 at 12:12am in Streetwear and Denim
The Styleforum Holiday sales guide - 2015
Last edited: 12/26/15
- Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales ListLast edited: 12/1/15
- How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200Last edited: 11/24/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 2448post #36707 of 1387285/24/12 at 8:52pmpost #36708 of 1387285/24/12 at 8:53pm
This is a double post, originally posted in a few year old thread I tried to revive but got no attention. I thought it may be appropriate here being that it was a thrift store acquire.
I have come into hands with some older and beat up AE tassel loafers named Manchester. Well, with these shoes I wanted to do an upper leather restore on them and took before and after pics of my project. The only issue I had with this was getting some red color stains off from one of the shoes toe area. Now these shoes are a merlot color, and apologize if the pictures aren't the greatest.
So I will explain my entire process and then show the before and after pics. Keep in mind this was an experiment for me, as I've never attempted to recondition shoes in this bad of a state.
First because of the condition the shoes were in, such as being excessively dirty, I first decided to take a damp cloth and get as much dirt build up off around the welt and upper. After that had dried in a few minutes, I decided ill give it a nice deep cleaning with saddle soap. Now I usually avoid saddle soap on my smooth calfskins only because I feel that it may excessive in most circumstances. But for these shoes, I really had nothing to lose by trying it. Now the saddle soap did take off some wax build up and old polish. It also helped break up a lot of solidified dirt around the welt and on the shoe in general. After the saddle soap cleaning, I still wanted to try and reach the original pores of the calfskin to allow it to breath and take off all the old wax and polish build up.
Now what I really wanted to use was Saphir's Renomat, but had no means of access to it at this time, but really do plan on having some in my arsenal in the near future. Instead I decided to try and deep clean the shoes with Rubbing Alcohol. I did a 20 / 80 alc/water mix. It took some elbow grease and I did about two rounds on each shoe. I certainly noticed a different in what came off. I'm still not 100% sure I took all the wax and polish off the shoe. (Any input would really help in how to determine if indeed the cleaning had gone all the way down to the original leather pores).
Next is where I reconditioned the uppers. I went ahead and used AE's cleaner / conditioner and applied it with a cotton cloth on the uppers of the shoes. I allowed supple amounts of drying time in between the 3 layers of conditioner. Next I wanted to try and mask some of the rips and tears of the uppers with some AE Merlot Polish. I went ahead and did the first layer of polish and allowed 20min drying time, then buffed. I then followed it up with a second polish and allowed 1 hour to dry. 3rd coat I gave the shoes 6 hours of time before I buffed with horsehair brush.
Next I waxed the uppers to seal in the nourishment of the conditioner and polish, also to give it a little shine. I wasn't going for anything spectacular or mirror, just wanted to help protect what ever is left and salvageable within these shoes. I applied 3 coats of AE's neutral wax onto the entire upper leather. Now the pictures don't do justice for the shine it has, partly because of the indoor photos, camera phone, and shadows caused by poor lighting. But I'm more concerned about how to possibly improve on them in the future projects, or if this is about as good as they may get due to the original condition of the shoes. I'm sure most think it was a waste of time to try and revitalize these shoes due to the rips in the leather, but it was more about personal experience for me, and what better way to try it out than on some old beat up full grain calfskin shoes.
Now without further a do, the pictures.post #36709 of 1387285/24/12 at 8:56pmpost #36710 of 1387285/24/12 at 8:58pmpost #36711 of 1387285/24/12 at 9:00pmpost #36712 of 1387285/24/12 at 9:08pmpost #36713 of 1387285/24/12 at 9:18pmPicked up a sweet navy BB made in Italy 90% cashmere 10% wool suit. My size! I don’t think I’ve ever owned an all mostly cashmere suit. Maybe more for colder weather? Feels breathable, though. I know there was some discussion about the BB Italy made stuff. Can provide pix and label tag if there’s any interest. Dropped it off at the drycleaners so it could be a while b4 the pix.
Also, here’s some of my other finds:
E Zegna XLT casual shirt. Long sleeve. Tagged XLT. Available.
Gitman Bros NWT 17 x 36, stripe colors are blue and red. Other tag sez “Tall man” Available
Stefano Ricci L/S lt blue dress shirt. My size! Not available.
Patagonia Olive messenger bag. Good to VG condition. Has reflective stripe. Available
Edited by Shiny - 5/25/12 at 8:54ampost #36714 of 1387285/24/12 at 9:21pmpost #36715 of 1387285/24/12 at 9:31pmpost #36716 of 1387285/24/12 at 10:06pm
Good job! I'm actually doing the whole "strip the entire fucking shoe with bleach" technique on a pair of Doc Martins. I'm going to try for a two tone effect whereby I put black polish around the welts and seams and apply brown to the rest of the boot. Hopefully this will give it a nice patina effect. I already did the bleach job, now I just need to apply the polish. Pics soon.post #36717 of 1387285/24/12 at 10:13pmpost #36718 of 1387285/24/12 at 10:15pmOk guys, all the Church's have been spoken for. I am going back tomorrow to grab the AE's I left behind. They are the same size and style as the Church's. Is that something you sz 8 guy's are into? Just trying to gauge what I should grab.post #36719 of 1387285/24/12 at 10:21pmpost #36720 of 1387285/24/12 at 10:39pm
I only hope that AlanC, wherever he lands, finds stores as good as what KC apparently offers. A stand-up guy and a pleasure to buy from, as has been my honor. If there were a Hall of Fame for this sort of thing, he'd be an inaugural member.
This thread is locked
- The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
- Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 1 minute ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 2 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Cars Discount / Thrift & DIY Questions and Bragging ... 2 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 3 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 4 minutes ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 4 minutes ago
- › Guidi 991m tall lace-up boots in soft black horsehide leather - tag... 4 minutes ago
- › Anyone proxy from US to Canada? 11 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 11 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding